Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821827 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5715 on: March 14, 2021, 11:23:06 PM »
It happened again with the second picture in your rebus. The first time I opened the post a picture was there but when I reopened the post again this morning it had disappeared.

The thing all three that behaved this way have in common is the URL starts with https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/

Hi Jack

Thanks for that & for the substitute picture :)  I'm not terribly good at technological stuff as you know :-R  I think it's partly laziness I'm sure.  I like what technology does & when it works well without a hitch but when it goes wrong I get impatient.  I presume that I need to look out for any pictures that have the above URL & avoid them like the plague!

Work again for me today.  I'm holding on to the fact that I only have to work this week then I have a whole week off :)

I've got a rebus which is a brilliant film from the 1990's.  I was sure I'd used it before but I've had a good search & I can't find it so here goes...
#9 #5 #2 #3 #6

I suspect this is a sitter!  I've tried to be a little devious but if you can work out who the lady in the first picture is (not her stage name) then that'll give you the answer to the rebus.

Almost lunchtime :-H  Ham & coleslaw sarnie for me :)

Just spotted you've posted while I've been trundling along with my post inbetween patients.  I'll have a proper look when I'm fed & watered :)
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: March 15, 2021, 12:30:29 AM »
Hi Again Jack

My compliments on a cracking post :)  Cheered up my Sunday at work & made me properly laugh.  Blue really is incorrigible but very funny with it >:D

I've not made much headway with your rebus.  I know who the character is in the second picture & that's as far as I've got so far!  I'll return to it a little later :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: March 15, 2021, 04:04:11 AM »
I've not made much headway with your rebus. 

Hi Again, Pen

This is a quick pitstop post.

On reflection, the first picture might be too Australian to be fair for denizens of the Old Blighty so you can use this one if you like

I remember we have had the answer to your rebus before in some context but I can't find it either.

In any case, yours is a great rebus.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: March 15, 2021, 06:22:52 AM »
On reflection, the first picture might be too Australian to be fair for denizens of the Old Blighty so you can use this one if you like

I remember we have had the answer to your rebus before in some context but I can't find it either.

In any case, yours is a great rebus.

Thanks Jack :-* 

The new picture made all the difference :)  That's a bit annoying because I had of course heard of the item in your original picture but went round the houses & didn't put 2 & 2 together :-R

I feel a bit better knowing that you couldn't find where I'd used that rebus either!

Going to conk out in my comfy chair in a little while & enjoy the last of All Creatures Great & Small together with the remaining dregs of my pink plonk :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: March 15, 2021, 10:51:14 AM »
Hi Pen,

A sample of the winners:1986 Cocky Dundee; 1987 Cocky Balboa; 1993 Guns and Roaches; 1994 Cocky and Bullwinkle; 1995 Priscilla, queen of the drains;2002 Osama Bin Liner; as well as a number based on famous Australian racehorses and well known Australian personalities such as Ita Buttroach and Crawline Hanson.

Maybe this was what we were thinking of.  From 9 January 2018, winners of the most inventive names in the cockroach race that Les introduced to us.  I am 99% sure the movie hasn’t been the subject of one of our rebuses before this.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 05:54:33 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: March 15, 2021, 09:24:35 PM »
Maybe this was what we were thinking of.  From 9 January 2018, winners of the most inventive names in the cockroach race that Les introduced to us.  I am 99% sure the movie hasn’t been the subject of one of our rebuses before this.

G'day Jack

That's brilliant!  I'd totally forgotten about that but I do remember now you've reminded me :laugh: 

I thought I'd try something a bit different today for a change.  My rebus a sporting venue & something which took place in England in the 11th Century. A gimmie I suspect ;D

8 (#4 + #4) #6

Please lose the last letter of 1st picture.  2nd picture you're interested in the character.

Lost on a rainy night, a nun stumbles across a monastery and requests shelter there. Fortunately, she's just in time for dinner and was treated to the best fish and chips she's ever had.
After dinner, she goes into the kitchen to thank the chefs.
She is met by two brothers, "Hello, I'm Brother Michael, and this is Brother Charles."
"I'm very pleased to meet you. I just wanted to thank you for a wonderful dinner. The fish and chips were the best I've ever tasted. Out of curiosity, who cooked what?"
Brother Charles replied, "Well, I'm the fish friar."
She turns the other brother and says, "Then you must be...?"
"Yes, I'm the chip monk."

Leave you with a silly joke... ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: March 16, 2021, 03:09:49 AM »
Hi Pen,

We’re going to have to stop meeting in the middle of the night like this.

A bit sneaky giving me a rebus which features places 220.1 miles apart

I’ll answer with a movie whose original release in the 1950’s and its remake are 57 years apart.

3  #3  3  #5  #5  #5

The 3-letter words are “the” and are not pictured.

Spoiler alerts will follow as time permits later today.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: March 16, 2021, 06:43:34 AM »
We’re going to have to stop meeting in the middle of the night like this.

A bit sneaky giving me a rebus which features places 220.1 miles apart

I know Jack! If we're not careful folks will start talking  ;)

I do aim to be a bit sneaky if I can >:D Though I don't always manage it!

I'm a bit tired this evening  :-Y I've solved half of your rebus & will try & finish it off in the morning :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: March 16, 2021, 06:20:20 PM »
Hi Pen,

Things to avoid like the plague. (perhaps we should update that to things like the COVID  :))

Sheila to Blue they would have less arguments if he wasn't so pedantic.

He said, 'I think you mean fewer arguments'

Sheila responded, “I suppose you know what the difference between a pedant and a pendant is.  One is generally hung from the ceiling and the other is a lighting fixture”.

SPOILER ALERT – Pen’s Rebus

SPOILER ALERT -my rebus
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: March 16, 2021, 07:37:12 PM »

I’ll answer with a movie whose original release in the 1950’s and its remake are 57 years apart.

Although I'm not really a sci-fi fan, the original is a classic of the genre.

The remake? They should have waited another 57 years before releasing it. I'd describe it as 'awful' except it's not as good as that.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:45:47 PM by mkenuk »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: March 16, 2021, 09:45:53 PM »
Hi Jack

I solved your rebus this morning :)  I have to admit that I haven't seen either film.  Like Mike not a sci-fi fan.

I was a bit stuck for an idea today so I thought about Rebus!  This is an Ian Rankin novel.

11 (#5 + #6) #5

Think I've used the last one before but it tickles me :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: March 16, 2021, 10:48:43 PM »
Hi Pen,

I've read every Rebus book, so I didn't have to rely on google for a change but your first picture had me guessing.

So I'll give you a simple one in return.  It is a maritime safety measure introduced in the late nineteenth century.

#8  #4

Have fun. It's my bedtime.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: March 17, 2021, 12:30:01 AM »
I've read every Rebus book, so I didn't have to rely on google for a change but your first picture had me guessing.

Have fun. It's my bedtime.

I thought as much Jack which was why I was trying to be a bit devious  >:D  The clue was in the cartoon though :laugh:  I solved your simple rebus quite quickly :)

I don't expect much fun this afternoon :(  Fracture clinic starts in 5 minutes & it promises to be very busy.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: March 17, 2021, 10:57:31 AM »
The remake? They should have waited another 57 years before releasing it. I'd describe it as 'awful' except it's not as good as that.

Hi Mike,

I haven't seen either or read the book. I don't even know what put the title into my head.  I just had the thought and had to go to google to see if it was a valid expression and whether it related to anything.  I often have headphones on listening to the radio in bed and sleep for hours with them on. I suppose the brain takes it all in even though you are asleep and the most probable explanation was that it was discussed on the radio.
Regards, Jack

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: March 17, 2021, 11:34:39 AM »

Agreed. I know the cost of producing a film has become so high and investors are so anxious to make a profit there is a preference for using a story with a proven track record — but some films should not be remade. Can anyone imagine a remake of Casablanca (I hope that never happens!)?