Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 819939 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5610 on: February 22, 2021, 01:43:16 AM »
I hope you don't think it is blasphemous to say that I am going to take a leaf out of the book of the almighty and rest from devising a rebus today.

Hi Jack

I think it's a very good idea & I've decided to follow your lead & have a day of rest from thinking up a rebus.   Mike's very kindly stepped into the breach with a clever rebus :)

I'm going to have a little snooze & contemplate work in the morning
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 01:45:40 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: February 22, 2021, 01:49:11 AM »
Hi Linda
Just a quick thanks for reminding me about Hidden Depths.  I hadn't seen it for yonks & watched it last night.  Really enjoyable - especially the wine bottles flying through the air :laugh:
Penx

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: February 22, 2021, 03:26:04 AM »
Hi Pen

Glad you enjoyed it - hope you had a glass or two of pink loveliness to accompany it! 

We watched an old Foyle's War ... I've got a bit of a crush on Foyle!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: February 22, 2021, 06:06:07 AM »
Hi again Linda

I did enjoy a couple of glasses of pink loveliness to help Inspector Barnaby catch the murderers :angel:

I totally get your crush on Foyle! I'm afraid Clooney is still my number one crush! Has been since ER. I loved Foyle's War until the war was over.  I didn't enjoy it quite so much towards the end when they were in Civvy Street.

I do have a secret crush on Michael Vaughan - does that count? >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: February 22, 2021, 09:41:56 AM »
Hot and humid here. We have visitors from Hobart...our air-con is running almost constantly trying to cope with the humidity.

Hi Moyra,

Would you have had the air-con running so much if you didn't have visitors from Hobart?  I guess that's another way of asking: do the locals ever fully acclimatise to the humidity or am I just slow to acclimatise?

I seem to remember when we had 7 years in Sydney I developed some tolerance to the humidity but I certainly lost it after 15 years in the Southern Highlands.  I've got a horrible feeling that losing a lot of excess weight might be part of the answer.

What is the Brisbane equivalent to the Blue Mountains?
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: February 22, 2021, 05:29:37 PM »
Hi Pen,

Let’s start with a little naff humour to get you in the mood for a rebus.

Quote from: Michael Pascoe on Twitter
Bedtime story: PM flies into a remote little country town on his way to another RM Williams shoot. He asks the locals if there's anything he could for them. "Well yes," says the mayor. "We have two problems. First, we have a hospital but no doctor." "Right," says the PM, whips out his phone, talks for a couple of minutes, and says: "Fixed it. A doctor will be here on Monday. What's your second problem?" "We have no mobile phone connection.".

Don't let them take your temperature on your forehead as you enter the supermarket because it erases your memory.  I went for macaroni and cheese and came home with two cases of beer.

Today I saw a dwarf climbing down a prison wall.  I thought to myself: "That's a little condescending".

I got myself a seniors' GPS. Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination, it tells me why I wanted to go there.

AA Meeting

Meaning of Testiculate

This is a rebus about a Rebus.  You are looking for a title of a book from the last decade of the last century.

#4  3  #4

In the first picture, you are not at all interested in the person.  In the second, you have no interest in who he is.

Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: February 22, 2021, 09:45:32 PM »
Hi Jack. I have found that I've used the air-conditioning more this year than previously....can't just blame the Tassie visitors! This summer seems to be getting to me...I've had enough now.  Thunder is rumbling madly tonight...and it's really humid. Hopefully we'll get some rain and that will cool things down a bit. However, I fear it will bring higher humidity tomorrow...
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: February 22, 2021, 09:52:36 PM »
Jack,

The full description of “Testiculate”, is:

To wave one’s arms about whilst talking bollocks.
This is something the UK PM is famous for.

Tony

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: February 22, 2021, 10:11:28 PM »
Hi Jack

I'm here on Fracture Clinic trying to raise a little enthusiasm.  Loved your post - really tickled me & perked up my Monday morning :laugh:  I think I've solved your rebus but I'm keeping my powder dry for the moment. I think I got the right title but the wrong author!

My rebus is a book published in 2001 by the author who I thought wrote your rebus but didn't!  Confused?  You will be >:D
#4 #5 #4

Pictures 3 & 4 both relate to the third word.

I found this silly joke by accident but it tickled me & I didn't change the location!

A businessman rushes into the train station just in time to catch the Brisbane to Rockhampton express.
On taking his seat he asked the conductor what time the train reached Gladstone.
"There's no stop in Gladstone on Wednesdays" the conductor told him.
"What?!" exclaimed the business man.
"No stop in Gladstone on Wednesdays" the conductor repeats.
"But it's imperative - I have a very important meeting there"
The conductor is adamant "This is a weekly express service & there's no stop in Gladstone on Wednesdays.
After much argument a compromise was finally reached.  The conductor agreed to ask the driver to slow the train down to 60 kilometres per hour as the train went through Gladstone.  He would hold the businessman out of the window, who would then get his legs running as fast as he could in thin air & the conductor would lower him down onto the platform.
So when the train reached Gladstone the plan was put into action & the businessman hit the platform running at full speed.  He ran the full length of the platform hoping he could stop before he reached the end.
Just as the last carriage of the train was passing him by his collar was grabbed by the strong arm of a shearer who hauled him back on board through an open window.
"Welcome aboard mate!" said the shearer.  "Lucky I grabbed you - there's no stop in Gladstone on Wednesdays!"

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:13:44 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 10:07:46 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: February 23, 2021, 11:44:23 AM »
Hi Pen,

The structure which is the subject of my rebus today may not in fact have existed but there have been references to it for over a thousand years.

3  #3  2  3  #6 #4, 9(#2  #2  #5)

Two instances of “the” and one of “of” have not been shown in the pictures.
4th Picture – only the first two letters.
6th Picture. Place name associated with the picture.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: February 23, 2021, 10:54:28 PM »
Hi Jack

My compliments on a very sneaky puzzle :laugh:  I sailed through the first bit & was feeling very smug & then pride came before a fall!  I got there in the end but my poor little grey cell needs a rest now :laugh:

I'm a little short of bright ideas today!  This is a place I've visited while motorbiking with my cousin!

10 (#5 + #5) 5

2nd picture last five letters.

Lunchtime now thank goodness :-H  Cheese & Marmite sarnies :)  I'll be in 2 instalments today...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: February 24, 2021, 02:54:59 AM »
I'm back Jack!

We're having an interesting day here today.  We are having major building works at the hospital.  Some clever beggar has drilled through a mains water pipe :o  This was about four hours ago & it's still not been sorted.  There are about 6 water board vans outside.  There is now no water in certain areas & some loos are now no longer working.  A message came out at 12 saying if you are able to work from home then please bugger off & do so!! Sadly I can't run my reception desk from the comfort of my living room :laugh:

Your cartoons with the naughty ladies really tickled me ;)

Leave you with a really silly joke ;D
Whilst out hiking, a guy finds a rare but long and poisonous centipede.
The guy is amazed by what he’s found and naturally he wants to show this rare creature to his drinking buddies. So he captures the centipede and places it carefully in a ventilated box.
Once he gets it home, the guy decides he wants to take the centipede to his local pub immediately. So he taps on the box and says, “Would you like to go to The White Swan with me and have a beer?“
The guy waits a few moments and then says, “What do you think? Would you like to go to my local and meet my mates?“
Again, there’s no answer.
Thinking the centipede can’t hear him, the man goes right up to the box this time and he yells, “Hey! Would you like to go to The White Swan and have a drink with me?“
A little voice comes out of the box, “I heard you the first time! I’m still putting my shoes on.“

Only an hour & it's home time

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: February 25, 2021, 01:43:27 AM »
Hi Pen,

At about the same time you were having your crisis, we were having our own mini-crisis. 

I may have told you before that I have to take a raft of pills - so many, I wonder why I don't 't rattle when I walk.  Each Monday I put them in a dispenser for the coming week. Last night (Tuesday) after we had said goodnight to Bonnie, I was putting them away and in a display of outstanding clumsiness dropped them on the floor and the dispenser flew open and the tablets scattered everywhere.  When I put the tablets back three were missing – small ones about the same colour as our floor tiles.  So this yesterday morning was a hunt to find them before Bonnie did.  Hence, the rushed post. Luckily we managed to find them first.

Tonight (now last night) was Bonnie’s training night and we didn’t get home until after 8.  After a quick meal with a nice bottle of red, I thought I would just pop this post off before I went to sleep.  That was over 3 hours ago and I just woke up.  So, I am going to try to get some more sleep and start again later in the morning.

Good night, Pen.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 01:59:10 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: February 25, 2021, 03:33:53 AM »
Hi Jack

That sounds a nightmare.  I just thank heavens you found the pills before Bonnie did.  Must have been a huge relief.

I'm a lady of leisure now until next Monday :)  Still using up my millions of remaining holiday days!  I got a bit of grocery shopping this morning & came back & did a bit of cleaning & had some lunch.  A not very exciting tuna sarnie which had a distinct whiff of cat food ???
Just as I was going out walking it decided to rain so I waited for it to stop & have just been out.  It's quite nice here but a rather stiff breeze.

I'll be back tomorrow (today!) with a rebus.
Here's hoping you have a less frantic day today :)