Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814710 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5595 on: February 19, 2021, 07:55:29 AM »
Sorry Jack it was a bit tenuous.  It's because the cricket bat is made from the willow.  I thought 2 trees would be a bit obvious!
I actually used the wrong type of willow.  It should have been

Though one willow looks much the same as another to me!
I hadn't noticed this morning that the picture I used was actually of a willow at The Chateau de Chenonceau which Eve & I visited on our last holiday in 2019.  A funny coincidence :laugh:

You are absolutely right I should have set it out how you said.  I was trying to be a clever dick!

7/10 must do better :angel:

I'd leave the tidying up if I were you - it'll only want doing again tomorrow >:D

I'm so glad it's Friday tomorrow - totally cream crackered :-Y
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: February 19, 2021, 10:41:36 AM »
Hi Again, Pen

and now I have .   I assumed that the three cricket bats were representing the word in.

I had forgotten (I assume at some stage I had known) that willow is sometimes used synonymously with a cricket bat as I used the expression two years ago "the flanneled fools wielding the willow."

I am now not sure how your rebus would have fitted into my notation. perhaps  #3 #4 2 #3 7(#6  #6).

Last time you used to represent "willow>:D

After all this discussion, I don't think there is any need for a spoiler alert.

Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: February 19, 2021, 05:51:34 PM »
& i'm also curios to know, do the professionals recommend rewarding good behavior & good deeds with treats or do they recommend a little game like perhaps a tug of war with one of her favourite toys?

My understanding, Les, is they advocate both.  Why the curiosity?   Now that you are retired and have time on your hands are you thinking of getting a dog?  There are many benefits.  It is hard to avoid getting more exercise if you take your responsibilities seriously.  And unconditional love is good for the soul - and with a bit of luck, you'll get that returned from the dog, too.  At least you won't get gratuitous sarcasm.

The people that run these training classes make the point strongly that you are not bringing the dog along to be trained.  You are coming along to learn the proper way to train the dog.  They even went so far as to say if the dog cannot come to a session for some reason, the owner should still come.

I will continue to go to the training sessions not because I am an old dog trying to learn new tricks but as an old dog trying to remember all the tricks that I have forgotten several times.

I think I would have liked Griffo.

You may be right in your view of human nature, but as it doesn't take any skin off my nose, it is not one that I will worry about.

I just notice the standard puzzle is open, so I must go and get a few words.

G'day Jack,
I actually would not mind getting another dog but the policy is " no pets allowed " in my apartment complex.
At the moment i am just trying to help out a friend who has recently & quite unexpectedly " inherited " a puppy due to her sisters sudden relocation to Sydney to take up a job promotion.
I also thought that it might be a way for me to wrangle in a request that i am sure all of your followers would enjoy & that is for you to compile a short video of you putting Bonnie through her paces.
You know what i mean, have June record Bonnie as you instruct her to sit, stand, rollover, beg, lay down etc...

I am certain that you would have liked Griffo.
He was a big but gentle bloke, ex navy submariner, a heavy drinker ( i was one of the few that could keep up with him ) with a wacky sense of humour, he had nick names for everybody in the building & liked to play practical jokes on people.
Despite a significant age difference we hit it off straight away & over time became very good mates.
He lived in a nearby suburb to me so when we were on the same shift we would  often take it in turns to ride share to work.
So Griffo rings me one Sunday night to organise to pick me up for work at 7.30am Monday morning, if your not ready, i'll go without you & don't forget that Monday is a casual dress day.
In those days it was very strict policy that uniforms must be worn at all times except for the overnight shift or when management declared a charity day.
Charity day meant that by making a donation to the nominated charity you were excused from wearing your uniform for that day.
So as we approach the front door of our work place, dressed in our casual attire, Griffo takes a detour.
As he walks off toward the station, he exclaims " I'm going to grab a train into town for a training course, see you tomorrow "
Ok, " no worries " is my response as i make my way up to the control room & the sign on desk.
It is only then that i realise that everybody else is dressed in full uniform.
At the same moment the boss pokes his head around the corner & in a stern voice says " Les i'll see you in my office, straight away please ".
I enter the office & take a seat while the boss is on the phone.
Bloody Griffo, he's set me up, how in the hell am i going to get out this, my mind is racing with all of the various punishments that i might be in for & i am dreading the dressing down that i am about to receive, bloody Griffo!!!
As he hangs up the phone the boss looks to me & says " Les, we've covered your shift for today ( i'm thinking oh no, crikey, he's going to send me home ) as i really want you to attend a training course that is taking place in town this morning but judging by your attire you must have already been aware of this.
Well yes sir, Griffo had told me all about it.
Yes of course he would have.
This training session is designed for senior officers so when the vacancy came up late last week it was Griffo who nominated you to fill the gap even though you are a still considered a junior.
When i arrived at the training room, the only vacant seat was next to a beaming Griffo.
As i sat down next to him i said rather loudly, it's your shout at lunch time you big bastard.
The whole room, including the instructor burst into laughter as Griffo had told them all about how he had set me up.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: February 19, 2021, 06:48:09 PM »
Hi Pen,

Do you remember Les entertaining us with a yarn about the Story Bridge Hotel Cockroach races on Australia Day back in 2018.  I thought they would never get up to such nonsense in Britain.  Well I thought one would be a good subject of my rebus today.  Well, I was wrong and I went through cheese rolling, wife carrying, welly wanging in Upperthong, and a number of others and I couldn’t put together anything reasonable.  So I have settled on an endeavour that showed the Brits at their finest in WW2.

#9  #6, 3  #7 2  7(#3  #4)

, the  of

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 10:02:27 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: February 20, 2021, 02:08:59 AM »
Greetings Jack from a windy, wet & chilly Bletchley

I enjoyed your rebus & solved all of it bar one word!  Stumped on the third picture.  Have an inkling but I'm going to return to it later on & if all else fails wait for your spoiler ;D

Can't believe how quickly Bonnie's siblings are growing!  They look gorgeous & as cheeky as a cartload of monkeys :laugh:

I was a little short of inspiration so I've settled on something that took place a long way away from the event in your rebus & 2 years later. It lasted considerably longer.  Hope that makes sense!

#3 #6 8(#4 + #4)

Hints - first word of second picture.  Please remove first letter of last picture. (homophone)

The last one just made me smile.

Better get a move on as Zoe will be in shortly! Kettle wont put itself on :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: February 20, 2021, 06:41:13 AM »
Hi Pen,

Two hints for my rebus

1.  it is a routine matter to turn wine into water but it takes something special to turn water into wine
2.  Read the words on the third picture.

Your rebus was excellent.  I will do the spoiler alerts when I get time later today.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: February 20, 2021, 06:54:47 AM »
Hi Les,

For me to consider the best way I could help with your friend's puppy, could you let me know the gender, age, breed, any previous training and the living arrangements for the pup e.g. Is there a back yard, quiet or noisy neighbourhood or any other relevant factors you can think of.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:28:10 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: February 20, 2021, 01:44:53 PM »
Hi Les,

For me to consider the best way I could help with your friend's puppy, could you let me know the gender, age, breed, any previous training and the living arrangements for the pup e.g. Is there a back yard, quiet or noisy neighbourhood or any other relevant factors you can think of.

G'day Jack,
I received a rather distressing phone call this morning.
She was to upset to give me much information other than to say that they had to rush the puppy to the vet yesterday afternoon & sadly they had to agree to having the puppy put down this morning.
I will be going over to her place tomorrow for a coffee & to see how she is coping.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: February 20, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »
Hi Pen,

The rebus today is a song from the 1890’s.  I didn’t pick it for it’s greatness although it is a catchy tune but because it has a good back story for the spoiler alert.

It was supposedly inspired by a well-known confidence fraudster.

I have left out the two ‘the’s from the picture line.

3  #3  #3  #5  3  #4  #2  5(#3  #2)

Picture 2.  From the left.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: February 21, 2021, 03:02:03 AM »
Hi Jack

A great rebus :)  I had a bit of a wrestle with it as I didn't read your hint properly at the bottom regarding picture 2 :-R  It suddenly fell into place. I look forward to reading the back story.

My rebus is a song from the early 1900's.  Google is a bit vague about when it originates from.
#4 #2 #3 #3 #4 #3 #4

AT
Hint - surname of lady in last picture.

Did you hear the one about the man who opened a dry cleaning business next door to the convent?
He knocked on the door and asked the Mother Superior if she had any dirty habits.

I hired a handy man and gave him a list. When I got home, only items 1, 3, & 5 on my list were done.
Turns out, he only does odd jobs.

Leave you with a couple of very naff jokes ;D

Better think about heading to the kitchen in a little while

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: February 21, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »
Thanks Jack.  Still none the wiser. 
Hope you're enjoying the Sunshine State. 

Hi Val,

The important thing is not to understand the technical detail but to accept that the anomaly was a result of human intervention and not the system going crazy.  As you can see from the top line it is possible to fiddle with the standard commands.

I am enjoying the lack of cold and learning to cope with the humidity which is not much worse than the centre of Sydney at this time of year.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: February 21, 2021, 07:53:02 PM »
(Exodus 16:22-36; Hebrews 4:1-11)

The heavens and the earth were finished, and all their vast array. On the seventh day God finished his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. God blessed the seventh day, and made it holy, because he rested in it from all his work which he had created and made.

Hi Pen,

I hope you don't think it is blasphemous to say that I am going to take a leaf out of the book of the almighty and rest from devising a rebus today.  I am having a reasonably quiet day.  I finished All Creatures Great and Small and tried to watch an episode of Vera but managed to sleep through most of it.  Hopefully, I will be back on duty tomorrow.
Regards, Jack

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: February 21, 2021, 09:24:35 PM »
Hey Jack, I'll accept anything not to do with technical detail.  And I really do appreciate you trying to explain it.
Yeah, the humidity takes a lot of getting used to.  One of the reasons I moved from the lowlands to the mountains.  I used to live in Asia where it was very sticky (as no doubt Mike will attest).  I don't really understand why so many oldies want to move from down 'ere to up there in Queensland.  My old bones do suffer a lot from the cold nowadays but not to the extent that I'd want to convert to a long slow roast.  As Billy Connolly used to say, it's not the weather but the *** clothes. In the heat, you can't get any more naked than naked.  A scary sight in my case.
Valx
I'll sleep in my next life

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: February 21, 2021, 11:01:28 PM »
While Jack is having a day off - he deserves it I'm sure - here's a very simple little rebus for you:

An 1881 novel by one of my favourite authors.

3/6/3/3/6/2/4/5 ('the', 'the' 'and' 'by' are not included in the puzzle)

Male singer's first name, lady singer's second

bonus 1 - in which country is the novel set (easy)
bonus 2 = name one other novel by the same author set mainly in that country

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: February 22, 2021, 01:14:38 AM »
A great rebus Mike.  It helped that I could identify the male singer from one of my favourite bands :)  I've solved the first easy bonus question but not the second!
I'm not saying anything for the moment :-X  Don't want to spoil it for anybody else!