Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814236 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5580 on: February 16, 2021, 09:46:32 PM »
G'day Jack

I seem to recall you saying you had a busy day planned today.  I'm also having another busy day.  Have a couple off days of next week & am very much looking forward to being the laziest lazy person :laugh:

A simple little rebus from me today.  This is a hit from the year I was born.
#5 #6 #3 #4

No hints or clues as I think it's easy peasy!

Two old ladies were sitting on a bench waiting for their bus. The buses were running late, and a lot of time passed. Finally, one woman turned to the other and said, "You know, I've been sitting here so long, my bum's gone to sleep!"
The other woman turned to her and said "Yes I know! I heard it snoring!"

Leave you with a very silly joke ;D

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: February 16, 2021, 11:53:40 PM »
Hi Pen,

I thought I had your rebus.  The were two hits with the title I  unscrambled - one by the guy who wrote it in 1954 and that other guy associated with comets who performed it in 1955.  Not the one whose comets come around about every 75 years but the one with one "l".
however, unless you have been lying about your age, it can't be either of these so I will have to go back to the drawing board.

I was busy today.  We were shopping to determine which is the best dog door for us as well as for a couple of minor household repairs in things that have gone wrong - the types of thing you expect in a 20 YO house.

You are a foodie and so my rebus is a question about food.  If it takes you more than 10 minutes to work out I will be surprised but the back story is worth telling.

#3  8(#6  #2)  7(#5  #2)?

Second picture - part of the word.

It's way past my bed-time so I'll make Les happy by doing the spoiler alert for this and yours (if I solve it) tomorrow and I will also get back to him then.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: February 17, 2021, 02:21:12 AM »
I'm back Jack!

You did have my rebus!  I didn't lie about my age - I didn't realise that there are at lease 3 versions of the same song! Numpty!

I think I've solved your rebus but not 100% sure.  I will await your spoiler with eager anticipation >:D

Just over an hour & I can go home ;D

Sleep well :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 02:25:07 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: February 17, 2021, 07:28:28 AM »
Hi Again Jack

Got your rebus right

I've found the remake of All Creatures Great and Small on a catch up channel so I'm going to give it a whirl :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: February 17, 2021, 11:12:08 AM »
& i'm also curios to know, do the professionals recommend rewarding good behavior & good deeds with treats or do they recommend a little game like perhaps a tug of war with one of her favourite toys?

My understanding, Les, is they advocate both.  Why the curiosity?   Now that you are retired and have time on your hands are you thinking of getting a dog?  There are many benefits.  It is hard to avoid getting more exercise if you take your responsibilities seriously.  And unconditional love is good for the soul - and with a bit of luck, you'll get that returned from the dog, too.  At least you won't get gratuitous sarcasm.

The people that run these training classes make the point strongly that you are not bringing the dog along to be trained.  You are coming along to learn the proper way to train the dog.  They even went so far as to say if the dog cannot come to a session for some reason, the owner should still come.

I will continue to go to the training sessions not because I am an old dog trying to learn new tricks but as an old dog trying to remember all the tricks that I have forgotten several times.

I think I would have liked Griffo.

You may be right in your view of human nature, but as it doesn't take any skin off my nose, it is not one that I will worry about.

I just notice the standard puzzle is open, so I must go and get a few words.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:59:15 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: February 17, 2021, 10:31:37 PM »
Hi Pen,

I’ve been a bit slack about humour lately.  Thanks for upholding the side.

My rebus tonight is a personal condition you would run from.

10 (#5  #2  #3)  #7

The last picture is a UK Band.

I am too tired to do the spoiler alert now. Off to count sheep.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: February 17, 2021, 11:00:57 PM »
I will continue to go to the training sessions not because I am an old dog trying to learn new tricks but as an old dog trying to remember all the tricks that I have forgotten several times.

Hi Jack

I agree with you about owing a dog.  In my position I couldn't possible consider it as I'm out of the house from 7.30am til around 5pm for 4 days a week.  My neighbours adopted Lucki who was a rescue dog.  I think he's a black lab though whether he's crossed with anything else is anybody's guess.  He's brilliant & very cheeky gives them lots of love & pleasure.

I think perhaps I should come to the training sessions with you as I've definitely forgotten any tricks learned when I was a youngster >:D

Another simple little rebus from me today.  It's one of a series of 39 children's books published in 1930.

The word count is #7'1 #5 #4
'S

For a bonus please name the author.

It's nearly lunchtime.  Ham & cheese sarnie for me with a drop of Linda's & my favourite condiment :-H

ps forgot to say I really enjoyed All Creatures Great and Small.  Do know what you mean about Siegfried.  Hoping he'll grow on me!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 12:14:02 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: February 18, 2021, 12:41:09 AM »
Sorry Jack totally stumped with your rebus.  I don't know who the band are & I've consulted a few younger colleagues & no luck :laugh:  May need an additional clue/hint please :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: February 18, 2021, 02:06:08 AM »
Hi Pen,

The band was formed by New Order bassist Peter Hook (vocals, bass, keyboards) and Lavolta Lakota and Rawhead singer Davyth Hicks (aka Dave Hicks) on guitar and vocals, together with Chris Jones (keyboards). It formed during New Order's hiatus in 1989-1990 and played their final gigs in January 1993.

Clue to the first 3 letters

I am putting yours away until morning because I can’t figure how to split the two pictures into 3 words and I am desperate for sleep.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: February 18, 2021, 07:42:21 AM »
Hi Pen,

It's a lot easier when you are awake.  I've sussed your devilish rebus.

In my notation,  the word count would have been   #7’1  #9( 5  4)    The # thingy indicating that it related to a picture.

I was initially distracted by Billy's Balmoral Hat.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 10:04:09 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: February 18, 2021, 05:50:56 PM »
Hi Jack. A quickie while I'm having my morning cuppa. I solved your sneaky rebus with your help once I sussed the band with your extra hint😄 I did originally do my word count as you said then changed it as I thought it would be far too easy!  Once again you know what thought did >:D
Must have brekkie :-H

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: February 18, 2021, 10:55:24 PM »
I was initially distracted by Billy's Balmoral Hat.

Hi Jack

I deliberately picked that picture because I thought the titfer was rather snazzy :laugh:

I will endeavour to stick to the rules in future >:D  I assumed that because the telly programme was so well known if I gave the word count as well it would make it not just a sitter but a gimme :laugh:

I'm a bit short of inspiration today but I've got a rebus that I'm hoping I haven't done it before.  It's a wonderful book published in 1908.
#3 #4 #2 #3 #7  It's a say what you see!

I did have a quick look but apologies if I'm repeating myself.

My camera keeps falling off my neck & does whatever it wants...
it's a bit of a loose Canon!

I've lost loads of weight just by wearing bread on my head...
it's a loaf hat diet!

Nearly lunchtime thank goodness :-H

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:02:19 PM by Hobbit »

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: February 19, 2021, 01:40:27 AM »
Tuna and spring onion mashed up with lots of salad cream in a crispy baguette for my lunch, washed down with a strong cup of Westmorland Blend coffee.  :-H

Don't know how you get the time to compose all those Rebus puzzles, Pen! I have made a few in the past for my book club (those were the days) but they were all literary characters and I didn't give them clues as to the length of the words as some of them are very clever clogs!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: February 19, 2021, 02:08:41 AM »
It was ham & cheese with a blob of salad cream for me today.  Not a patch on yours Linda but it filled a hole!  I would have scoffed your baguette with a good strong buildery tea :-H

Some days it's easy to do a rebus if it's a slow day at work.  Other days I'll start a post just after 9 when it's quiet & then it gets busy so I'll dip in & out & finish by lunch!  To be honest if it's a slow day on reception then I'm very glad of something to distract me & use my noddle. I'm sort of glued to my chair & can't wander off :laugh:  It gives me enjoyment & I hope it gives the Forumites a bit of fun.  The worst thing is if my mind goes a complete blank (nowt unusual >:D) & I can't think of anything! or even worse if I repeat one I've already done :o

Hopefully it wont be too much longer before your book club can reconvene & you can celebrate with a glass or 2 of something >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: February 19, 2021, 07:08:58 AM »
I will endeavour to stick to the rules in future >:D  I assumed that because the telly programme was so well known if I gave the word count as well it would make it not just a sitter but a gimme :laugh:

Each rebus setter sets their own rules, Pen. So long as you are consistent. Your two word picture caused me no problem.  It was your devilishly clever first word that had me foxed in the middle of the night.  I probably wouldn't have got it if I had not read all the books published up until the middle 1950's. 

Now by my conventions, I would have given the word count of your latest rebus as #3 #4 2 #3 #7  and left the 3 bats out to indicate it is a relationship rebus.  I must be a bit thick this morning because I can't make a connection between the three bats and the relational word it has to represent.

I must get to the dog walk before the next shower of rain.  Will tidy up later today.
Regards, Jack