Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820049 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5400 on: January 27, 2021, 07:13:28 AM »
Half my problem is that I've forgotten far more than I remember :-R 

Welcome to the club, Pen.  The good news is there is plenty of information on Google to fill the vacuum..

I am still busier than a mosquito in a nudist colony.

To respond to your puzzles has taken me back to when I was an 8 or 9 year old going to the Nun’s school in Morpeth.  As an aside, it was quite a shock when I went there that I had to wear shoes to school.  I was a veracious reader and devoured the contents of a cupboard which served as the school’s library.

One book puzzled me.  A page had been neatly removed by the nun’s.  You’ll see why when you work out the puzzle.   The answer is the main characters in a series of Children’s books.

10(#7  #3)  3  9(#6  #3)

and

Bonnie calls.

P.S.  It was the Seekers including one solo verse from Judith Durham.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 04:12:37 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: January 27, 2021, 07:48:00 AM »
I am still busier than a mosquito in a nudist colony.

Hi Jack

I'm just going to collapse into my chair & stare at the box for an hour.  Very knacked this evening :-Y

I just had to say that your comment tickled me.  Made me properly laugh!

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: January 27, 2021, 12:58:05 PM »
Our national anthem has been the topic of much debate for many years.
I actually thought that they came up with a pretty good solution when it was suggested that we just simply sing it twice ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WLVkLed_4

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: January 28, 2021, 03:31:11 AM »
Hi Jack

I've been trying to match your 'busier than a mosquito in a nudist colony' but the best I could come up with is I've been busier than a squirrel in a nut factory or busier than a plastic surgeon in Hollywood >:D  I tore about like a blue arsed fly this morning.  Went shopping & came back & made an attempt at some housework & then got some lunch.  Ms Google tells me that this saying originates from the British armed forces!  Anyway the upshot is that I'm being lazier than the bluebottle swatted with a heavy book this afternoon!

I love the sound of Snugglepot & Cuddlepie :)  Another children's book I would have enjoyed.

I've got a simple little puzzle.  A book I loved when I was a kid.
#3 #3 #2 #3 #3

It's a say what you see.  I'm sure you'll find it rather easy peasey :laugh:

Kylie rang me the other day to say that her Aunt Sheila was so fed up with Uncle Blue she had taken a lover.  Anyway one night Sheila & her man were in bed together when there was a commotion downstairs.  The man panicked & said "Oh heavens your husband is home!  What am I going to do?"
Sheila replied "Just stay in bed - he'll be so drunk he'll never notice you're here with me"
The fear of getting caught trying to escape was more powerful than the thought of getting caught in bed with Sheila, so he trusted her advice.
Blue staggered into the bedroom & crawled into bed & he pulled up the duvet exposing six feet.  "Sheila" he shouted "what the bloody hell is going on?  I see six feet at the end of the bed!"
Sheila calmly said "You're so drunk Blue you can't count.  If you don't believe me count them again"
Blue got out of bed & counted "one, two, three, four...bugger me you're right!"

Going to have 40 winks while my jacket spud cooks

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: January 28, 2021, 06:34:10 AM »
Hi Pen,

Four days off to have fabulous adventures.   I guess fun in the outdoors now is a bit limited.  I have long suspected you might be a closet hotshoe – a term I read in another thread. How about nicking out to the Bond Estate to do a bit of Formula Fast Karting. If you are a bit nervous about driving yourself, you could take the opportunity to experience ‘hot laps’ as a passenger in a instructor-driven two-seater kart.   It’s a lot safer than sky-diving.

However, today you seem to have been busier than a one-armed bricklayer in Baghdad.

I’ll add a solution to mine later today if I’m not busier than a moth in a sweater closet and can get around to devising one.

It was good to see Les contributing again.  I guess he has been busier than an Air Traffic Controller who is cross-eyed.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 04:11:37 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: January 28, 2021, 10:16:24 AM »
The puzzle I promised is an adult book by a children’s Author and will appeal to those who like stories about naked ladies.

3 #5  #4  #7

The    

Even famous people have nicknames: you only need the second half.

The spoiler alert in my previous post now includes the answer to this one.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:26:40 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: January 28, 2021, 10:47:32 AM »
A small sample of Pictures of Bonnie's younger half-siblings.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: January 28, 2021, 11:23:08 PM »
I guess fun in the outdoors now is a bit limited.  I have long suspected you might be a closet hotshoe – a term I read in another thread. How about nicking out to the Bond Estate to do a bit of Formula Fast Karting. If you are a bit nervous about driving yourself, you could take the opportunity to experience ‘hot laps’ as a passenger in a instructor-driven two-seater kart.   It’s a lot safer than sky-diving.

Hi Jack

You are quite correct - there isn't much fun to be had here at the moment.  I could definitely be a closet hotshoe if my car had a bit more oomph :laugh:  I like the idea of Karting though whether I'd be brave enough when it came down to it is another matter! On balance I think I would rather drive myself.  Sky diving is a definite NO!!  The Escape in Milton Keynes has indoor sky diving as well as a dry ski slope.  Neither float my boat.

We have a tropical 12oc here today so I've arranged to meet Barbs this afternoon for a socially distanced walk :)  We wont set the World on fire but it'll be smashing to see her as I've not seen much of her during the last few weeks.

I think I've sorted about three quarters of your puzzle but I'll return to it later on & have another look :)

I'm a little short of inspiration today but I also have a book.  It was written by an American author.  As I recall his books were of a somewhat racy nature >:D
#3 (#3 #3 #3 #3) (=13!)

THES
Hope you can pick the bones out of it & perhaps name the author please.

I'm going to put the kettle on & scoff a tuna sarnie then...

It beats being at work when it's a lovely day :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: January 29, 2021, 06:36:26 AM »
Hi Pen,

This is an ultra quickie.  Bonnie is in a barky mood, so for the sake of the neighbours we have to get on her morning walk early.

SPOILER ALERT - Pen's latest puzzle

I had not heard the term "a roman à clef" before - had you?  I am sure Mike would have.  So through our little puzzles, we often learn something new.

To be Continued
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: January 29, 2021, 07:47:34 AM »
Oops sorry Jack! I totally forgot to return to your puzzle :-[ 

I was distracted by the Godiva chocolates :-H  That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it.  I was totally stumped on the second picture so asked for assistance from Ms Google.  I now have the answer but am cross with myself for not getting it :(

I had never heard of the term "a roman à clef" before.  I don't think I've ever actually read any of Harold Robbins' novels.
Ms Google says it's
"a novel in which real people or events appear with invented names." as I'm sure you've already discovered :)
As you say we do learn things from our puzzles :)

Barbs & I had a lovely walk but we kept having to turn back as a lot of the paths were flooded.  Met Office giving more snow for Saturday :(

Going to flop in my comfy chair & see what I can find on the box :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: January 29, 2021, 10:05:04 AM »
The puzzle today is a "a roman à clef” novel written in 1928 by a well-known author.

Three words – 5 7 5

I have thought of two ways of presenting it

A tricky way    #5  #5 (7 #5)

And a straight forward way

#5  #7   #5

With all that information I think it should be a gimme but I would be interested in any comments on how people found it.

I have added the details to the spoiler alert in my last post.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:54:15 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: January 30, 2021, 01:33:34 AM »
Hi Jack

Been out walking again with a different friend today.  The sun has been out for a while & it's rather nice at the moment. Not for long though as it's a bit black over Will's Mothers :laugh:

I enjoyed your puzzle.  When I first looked at it I thought it was a sitter but it caused me a bit of head scratching but I got there in the end :)  I'd be interested to know what other folks made of it.

I'm following on a theme.  It's a novel published in 1946.
#3 #3 #4'1 #3

Gent on right in third picture.  I've tried to be a bit sneaky but I suspect you'll find it a breeze.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: January 30, 2021, 06:48:05 AM »
Hi Pen,

I am glad the weather over there is good enough to get your walks in.

We also walk with a friend but she is still a work in progress.  I need a pocket full of training treats to convince her she should walk with a loose lead and she wants to jump at any bike or runner that passes us. When she decides not to cooperate she is too strong for June to handle, particularly seeing the arm June broke before Christmas has not mended sufficiently to take any weight.

We went out to the leash-free beach near Cleveland yesterday with the non-school-attending Coorparoo mob.  Dusty has learned to swim and chase and retrieve balls and is so results-orientated that he didn't want to scruff with Bonnie. She was happy to go into the water as far as she could touch the bottom but has not learned the pleasures of swimming yet.

O yea of little faith with Les303.  I believe him about the crossword.  There is only so many hours you can look at the pictures. I used to only read the Post when I went to the barbers.   I can't remember whether it was the magazine with Mr. Wisdom's Whoppa in it.  I do remember being disappointed to find out it was a mega-crossword.  :D.  I didn't comment in the other thread because I thought it was more appropriate material for "Whatever" than for "Words".

I liked your puzzle, mainly because I am getting used to your tricks and solved it without referring to Google - a rarity for me.

I will try to reciprocate and put in the usual spoiler warning after the obligatory dog walk and I have finally got around to mowing the lawns, which I have neglected.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 04:26:09 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: January 30, 2021, 11:38:18 AM »
I had heard of 'roman à clef' ('novel with a key') but I admit I had to look it up to remind myself of what exactly it means.

Hobbit's 1946 novel has been filmed a couple of times; it shares its title with a BBC TV film made in 1999 about the mystery of 'The Sandringham Battalion', men recruited from the staff at the Royal Palace of Sandringham who went to fight in World War I and...vanished.
It stars David Jason and is well worth watching if you can find a copy.

My little offering has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Made in 1964, it's a bit of a cult film - part comedy, part fantasy, part western and part other things.

Five words - 1 /5/ 2 /6 /3

The letters in the bottom right picture are NOT Thai, but they are close.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 03:05:42 PM by mkenuk »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: January 30, 2021, 01:23:02 PM »
My Puzzle is the title of a 1988 American biographical crime thriller film.

11(#6  #6) #7

In the first picture, you are only interested in the status, in the second, a general description of lifestyle.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 04:14:57 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack