Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820908 times)

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5385 on: January 25, 2021, 02:31:31 AM »
I have just seen a photo on the net of the most middle class snowman ever. He had the traditional carrot nose but with spring onions (Scallions) for arms and the best of all - star anise eyeballs! I suppose nobody has lumps of coal available nowadays.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: January 25, 2021, 06:13:00 AM »
Hi Christine,

Is this your poor little snowman?

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: January 25, 2021, 06:27:27 AM »
I suppose nobody has lumps of coal available nowadays.

Hi Christine - my cousin with the motorbikes who lives in the Peak District still uses coal!  A rarity these days.  When I was a kid we had an open fire in the living room & a rayburn in the kitchen for cooking. No central heating. I remember we had an extendable toasting fork for making toast while watching telly.

Great picture of the poor middle class snowman Jack :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: January 25, 2021, 06:38:00 AM »
I have to admit that I'm dreading what tomorrow morning will be like once it's all frozen. 
She looks almost black in that picture -I have to say it was very clever of you to incorporate her into your puzzle :)

My spies at your weather bureau told me  "Further snow is likely this evening for a time but may turn to sleet in places. Snow will ease later, leaving most places dry and cold tonight with clearing skies. A risk of icy stretches.".  So drive very carefully on your way to work.

I liked this photo taken at Chesham at 9 am Sunday Morning. 

Bonnie's coat is chocolate Brown but poor light and inexpert photography can make it look black.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: January 25, 2021, 09:14:53 PM »
My spies at your weather bureau told me  "Further snow is likely this evening for a time but may turn to sleet in places. Snow will ease later, leaving most places dry and cold tonight with clearing skies. A risk of icy stretches.".  So drive very carefully on your way to work.

G'day Jack

Your spies were uncannily accurate in their forecast.  We did have more snow overnight & my car was like an igloo this morning.  The doors & wipers were frozen solid but I left it running for ten minutes & then got my trusty scraper out :laugh:  The roads in Bletchley hadn't been gritted & were treacherous but the main grid roads were fine.  Sun's out so I'm hoping it'll get rid of some of it!

Lovely picture of Chesham :)

This one's from our local paper taken yesterday.  Not as picturesque as the other one!

My puzzle is a silly comedy film.
#6 #6 #2 #(4+6)

IN
Clues.  1st picture you're interested in the car not the man! 3rd picture half of surname.  Last picture people usually sit on a waiting list for many many years to become what this gent is!
Can you please name the star of the film for your bonus.

I hope these stick.  I posted 4 yesterday & only two remain :(

I thought I'd have a little flutter today so I bet on 3 horses called 'Sunshine', 'Moonlight' & 'Good Times'   None of them won though...
I blame it on the bookie!

I was sitting in a restaurant the other evening when a prawn cocktail hit me on the back of the head...
I turned round & this bloke shouted "and that's just for starters!"

Leave you with a couple of naff jokes ;D

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: January 25, 2021, 11:45:17 PM »
Hi Jack and Penny

yes that was the posh snowman!

I remember fondly the big kitchen of my childhood which had an old fashioned range fire with the oven at the side. Mum did use it sometimes for a slow cooked rice pud but she used to warm my little vests in it on a frosty morning like today! When I was about eight or so the council took it out to modernise the house and we got a soulless gas fire but I suppose it saved Dad making up the coal fire before he went to work. When I was thirteen the council went mad and we got gas central heating! We thought we were so posh even if it was only installed downstairs and as heat rises the bedrooms were warmer anyway. Gone the smell of the paraffin heater on the landing!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: January 26, 2021, 12:17:27 AM »
Mum did use it sometimes for a slow cooked rice pud

Oh Christine that brings back memories :)  My Mum used to do a slow cooked rice pud too - it always had a skin on top!  It had to have strawberry jam stirred through to make it pink!

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #5392 on: January 26, 2021, 01:48:48 PM »
Christine and Pen,

Did your mothers cook the rice pudding in one of those oblong enamel tins with a flat rim? My mother did, and it doesn't taste the same somehow when cooked in a Pyrex dish.

Those tins disappeared for several decades in Australia, but now they've made a return in upmarket cooking utensil shops.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: January 26, 2021, 06:43:09 PM »
Hi Pen,

I’ve been busier than a guy who swallowed a box of laxatives.. (This is where you say, “Oh, for shit’s sake.”)

We had a few little accidents first thing this morning – that kind that is not serious but requires a lot of urgent cleaning up after they happen.

Then we had the Coorparoo mob over for an Australia Day Barbecue. All this is a lame excuse for me running behind schedule.

Blue asked me why most of my puzzles are oriented to the UK.  I told him many of the Australians and others that follow this thread were either born in the UK or their parents were.  It is an acknowledged fact that the average Australian knows a fair bit about the UK and America.  But the average person living in the UK or America knows bugger all about Australia.  Blue just said, "This is Australia day, mate, so pull your bloody finger out."

Today's puzzle is an Australian Movie made in 2002 which casts a measured gaze on a shameful chapter of Australian history

#6-#5   #5

In all pictures identity is irrelevant.

this should be the basis of our National Anthem
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 12:53:33 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: January 26, 2021, 08:18:29 PM »

Did your mothers cook the rice pudding in one of those oblong enamel tins with a flat rim? My mother did, and it doesn't taste the same somehow when cooked in a Pyrex dish.

She did Rose! & you're absolutely right things don't taste the same in a Pyrex dish.  I think my Mum also used the same tin for a meat pie :)

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: January 26, 2021, 08:22:41 PM »
Penny got her reply in quickest! Meat and potato pie was made in the dish but plate pies for just meat!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: January 26, 2021, 08:29:17 PM »
Spot on Christine!  I'd forgotten about the plate pies :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: January 26, 2021, 09:35:16 PM »
  Jack & all our Aussie Friends :)

This is my third attempt at posting !  My PC wouldn't come on this morning - I had the circle of doom for about 20 minutes. I switched it off & on again & waited another 25 minutes for it to come back to life & then 'phoned IT.  The man from IT arrived quite promptly about half an hour later & I was well into my post & he switched it off again!!  He's just rung me to say he's building me a new computer & it'll be ready in about 30 minutes.  Anyway when I've finished waffling I just wanted to say Happy Australia Day while it is still the right day!
I'm going to post this & come back later before I get caught out again :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: January 27, 2021, 02:28:11 AM »

Blue asked me why most of my puzzles are oriented to the UK.  I told him many of the Australians and others that follow this thread were either born in the UK or their parents were.  It is an acknowledged fact that the average Australian knows a fair bit about the UK and America.  But the average person living in the UK or America knows bugger all about Australia.  Blue just said, "This is Australia day, mate, so pull your bloody finger out."

this should be the basis of our National Anthem[/url]

I'm back Jack.

Having a nightmare day with computers :(  Got to Fracture Clinic just before 1 & tried to log in.  Had exactly the same problem as I had first thing this morning.  Finally got signed in at 1.30.  I'm told there's been a couple of massive updates but that still seems a long time to wait.

Anyway Blue is right.  I don't know a huge amount about Australian History though certainly more than American history I'm sure.  When you start looking in more depth, which I have done on a few occasions in search of a puzzle to tease you,  it's very interesting what you can find & read. Half my problem is that I've forgotten far more than I remember :-R  Here's a bit of useless information.  The first ever test match was played at The Melbourne Cricket Ground on 15th March 1877.  Australia beat England by 45 runs.

I have seen the film which is the subject of your puzzle. 

My first puzzle is a book published in 1955. 
#1 #3 #4 #7

My second puzzle is a book I would have loved to have discovered when I was young.
#3 #5 #7
THE

It's been a very trying day & I'm all out of kilter & disgruntled.  Only an hour left til going home time :)  So I'm going to

I have a few days off after today so no work for me til next Monday :)

ps forgot to say your laxative pun made me chuckle.  Not heard that one before!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 02:33:21 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: January 27, 2021, 06:35:36 AM »
this should be the basis of our National Anthem

Sorry Jack I meant to say earlier that I'll watch this after dinner as was unable to at work. 
I simply loved it.  It brought a tear to my eye & a lump to my throat.  It would make a smashing basis of your National Anthem.
Was it Judith Durham singing?  What a wonderful voice she has.