Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 819994 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #5340 on: January 15, 2021, 08:42:09 AM »
My puzzle today is a TV competition series in which amateurs compete against each other.  The last 2 words of the title are sometimes written as one hyphenated word and that is the one I have used because it makes for an easier presentation. :)

3  5(#2 #3)  #7  4-3(#3 #5)

The    

Hint - in those pictures suggesting a 2-word answer, use only the first word.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 06:39:15 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: January 15, 2021, 11:12:14 PM »
Hi Jack. You were bang on with my puzzle🙂 though I'm not sure I got it quite right!! I couldn't get Youtube at work & watch it. Did it from memory😄 I'll pop back after lunch with a proper post. My corned beef sarnie is calling me :-H Penx
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: January 16, 2021, 02:51:12 AM »
I'm back Jack!

I got distracted by my friend Barbs who wanted to go for a walk.  It was quite cold but great to see her nonetheless.  I haven't seen much of her since Christmas & I do miss her.  Lockdown & the awful cold weather have put the kibosh on our meetings :(

I believe I've solved your puzzle. It was very clever & it took me 3 attempts but I think I got there in the end!  I'll wait for the spoiler.
Your joke 'why men shouldn't write advice columns' was hilarious :laugh:  Cracked me up!

I haven't managed to sort a proper puzzle but I have come up with a quickie!
# (6+4)

If I've solved your puzzle correctly then I'm hoping mine has a bit of a link to yours!

From a passenger ship one can see a bearded man on a small island who is shouting and desperately waving is hands.
"Who is it?" a passenger asks the captain.
"I have no idea. Every year when we pass, he goes mad like that."

If two vegans have an argument is it still called a beef?
or is it a quornfrontation!

My post is like me - short but reasonably well formed >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: January 16, 2021, 06:48:31 PM »
Hi Pen,

There is a copycat series of the answer to your puzzle in Australia.  It is so popular I bet even Les watches it.  I think I remember he told us at one time that he was a pretty good cook.

Has Barbs had the shots too?  If so there should be nothing to stop you from getting together more often.

Q. Which part of Scotland was also a Formula 1 World Champion?
A. Ayr Town Centre.

I stopped a guy in the street and said, "Can you help me? I'm looking for a rubbish tip." He said, "The Wallabies to beat the All Blacks in the Bledisloe Cup."

I'm a bit pressed today.  Will try to come up with a puzzle tomorrow.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: January 17, 2021, 03:12:03 AM »
It is so popular I bet even Les watches it.  I think I remember he told us at one time that he was a pretty good cook.

Has Barbs had the shots too?  If so there should be nothing to stop you from getting together more often.

How Do Jack

We woke to a covering of snow this morning which, thankfully, has now gone!  We did have an hour of lovely sunshine so we took the opportunity to go for a walk. 

Barbs hasn't had her jab yet though they are apparently starting on the over 70's this week in MK.  She & her husband are both in their early 70's so I'm hoping they both get it very soon.

Les seems to have gone a bit quiet for the moment. Maybe he's in the kitchen as we speak cooking up a storm :laugh:  Do hope you're ok Les :)

My puzzle today is Zoe's suggestion.  It's a film from 1970.
#3 #5 #3 #6 #4

Hint - you're looking for the lady in the 4th picture.  Not her name though! First name of lady in last picture.

Two Cockney lads, Ronnie & Reggie, were walking home from the pub one Friday night.  They were very inebriated ;D
Ronnie says to Reggie "I can't be bothered to walk all that way"
"I know" says Reggie "but we've no money left for a cab & we've missed the last bus home"
"We could steal a bus from the depot" suggests Ronnie.
They arrive at the bus depot & Ronnie tells Reggie to go in & get a bus while he keeps a look out...
After shuffling around outside for ages Ronnie shouts "Reggie what the bleedin' hell are you doing in there? Haven't you found one yet?"
Reggie shouts back "I can't find a number 91..."
"Oh you daft git take the number 14 & we'll walk from the corner"

That's all from me!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 03:16:40 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: January 17, 2021, 06:55:10 AM »
Hi Pen,

I had a thought for a puzzle while watching an episode of Endeavour last night.   I’ll get it out to you quickly this morning and then have a look at yours.

The puzzle is the title of a poem first published in the second edition of Departmental Ditties and Other Verses in 1886.

3  8(4 #4) #4

The
------------------             

The bonus question is which episode of Endeavour was I watching.

Time for a Bonnie walk.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: January 18, 2021, 12:56:34 AM »
Hi Jack

I had a proper wrestle with your puzzle but I did get there in the end :)  I had to seek the assistance of Ms Google to find out the Endeavour episode you were watching!  I watched Morse in the Remorseful Day last night.  I'd forgotten how sad it was.

It was a beautiful sunny morning here so I decided to go for a walk round the park before lunch.  As I was walking along 2 blokes jogged past me side by side.  They came so close one of them almost touched me.  As they got past me they both spat on the ground >:(  Spitting is totally unacceptable at the best of times but at the moment it's beyond disgusting & dangerous.  What is wrong with people?
Anyway sorry moan over!

My easy little puzzle is the first of a series of 5 books published in the 1950's. 
#3 #7 #4 #2 #3
The
Hints surname of gent & first name of lady!
For your bonus please name the author.

As I was going out for a walk this morning a man accosted my neighbour on the doorstep.  He asked Andy if he had five minutes to spare to complete an opinion poll.
Andy's reply?  "Sorry mate my opinion isn't in at the moment!  She's out walking the dog"

A woman was trying hard to get the tomato ketchup to come out of the bottle. During her struggle the phone rang so she asked her four-year-old daughter to answer the phone.
"It's the vicar Mummy" the child said to her mother.
Then she added, "Mummy can't come to the phone right now. She's hitting the bottle."

I'm wondering if Les has managed to sneak into the Gabba to watch the cricket >:D

Have a few chores to do so (& more importantly a book to read :laugh:)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: January 18, 2021, 07:29:19 AM »
Hi Pen,

I think I have sussed your puzzle.  I Will put out a spoiler alert later.

Blue ran into a lampost last night.  Luckily, he only suffered light injuries.

Blue gave away their vacuum on Freebay last Wednesday.  Sheila gave him a hell of a bollocking.  Apparently, “It was only gathering dust” did not mollify her.

My puzzle today is a journey of between 243 to 257 miles depending on which roads you take.

9(#4 #3 #2) 2  (#2 #3 #4)

The pictures didn't fit on one line. Treat them as if they did.

to

Bonus Question:  What is the principal route for the quickest journey?

I am a bit rushed but I hope I haven't made any silly mistakes.

Regards, Jack

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: January 18, 2021, 08:14:49 AM »
Astonishingly, I know what the answer to the clues is. Surprised myself!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: January 18, 2021, 09:46:09 AM »
SPOILER ALERT – Today’s Puzzles

Well done Tony.  Any other forumites want to report on their efforts?  Feedback should improve the quality of the puzzles but no visible spoiling until 24 hours after publication. :D
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: January 18, 2021, 11:54:57 AM »
Let's see if I can do this properly

A great film (1987) - no sex or violence, no car chases, explosions or hand-to-hand combat. Just a nice story, beautifully acted by an all-star cast

Four words - 2, 7 5 4

LXXXIV
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:19:39 PM by mkenuk »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: January 18, 2021, 02:31:37 PM »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: January 18, 2021, 03:04:52 PM »
Indeed it is.

I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has never seen it.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: January 18, 2021, 07:46:56 PM »
A great puzzle Mike & I haven't seen the film but will keep an eye open for it.  I have to admit I struggled with the Roman numerals to start with but got there in the end :laugh:
I'm still wrestling with Jack's puzzle but I'll return to it a little later.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: January 18, 2021, 08:02:27 PM »
" Les seems to have gone a bit quiet for the moment. Maybe he's in the kitchen as we speak cooking up a storm :laugh:  Do hope you're ok Les :) "

I'm absolutely fine, thank you for asking, i have just been distracted with the fabulous test cricket series against India.

I appreciate the effort, thought & nuances that you & Jack put into your picture puzzles and i see that you are building quite a following so keep up the good work but please do forgive my non - participation as it is just a game that does not really appeal to me. ( my poor old eye sight makes it hard to discern a lot of the pictures )

I enjoyed the first couple of seasons of master chef but as with all of the reality shows, i quickly lost interest.
They did regain my interest when they introduced the Junior series.
You watch current affairs shows & see all of these teenagers stealing cars, bashing, robbing & stabbing each other so it was just so refreshing to see these beautiful young kids so committed to such an innocent passion as cooking.

I can remember cooking a rolled brisket for my sister & her young daughter when they were visiting one time.
The youngster was keen to help me in preparing the meat.
She watched everything that i did as i rubbed the meat in olive oil & carefully added just the right amount of spices.
I proceeded to cut a piece off each end before i rolled it up & tied it with string.
Uncle Les, why did you cut those bits of the end before you tied it up, does it make it taste better ?
I really don't know sweetie, you might have to ask your mother because this is how she taught me to do it.
Mother also could not explain other than to say that this is how she was taught by her mother.
So we put in a call to grandmother at the nursing home.
There was a long pause before she finally answered...so that it would fit into the bloody roasting pan!