Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814571 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4770 on: September 25, 2020, 06:42:59 AM »
Bonnie had a big day.  Puppy school this morning and Dusty come over for a dust up after lunch.

A 'dust up'? — is this an Aussie-ism? I only know 'dust up' as an argument.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: September 25, 2020, 07:46:10 AM »
I'd think a 'dust up' as a bit of a scrap!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: September 25, 2020, 08:04:04 AM »
Hi T-Rex,

I was quite tired last night when I dashed off a quick post.  When I looked at it early this morning, I realised it was quite sloppy in presentation and I have since tidied it up a bit.

However, even in the sober light of day, it didn’t occur to me that my little pun on Dusty’s name might have been inaccurate or an Australianism.  I admit I would be the last to realise if it was so.

Strictly speaking, your definition of dust up may be the most accurate, but I think I can defend the usage.

Merriam-Webster.com claims “The dictionary by Merriam-Webster is America's most trusted online dictionary for English word definitions, meanings, and pronunciation.”

Merriam-Webster gives the prime definition of dustup dust up as: row, fight

But it also gives these synonyms

•   battle,
•   combat,
•   contest,
•   fracas,
•   hassle,
•   scrap,
•   scrimmage,
•   scuffle,
•   struggle,
•   tussle
And that is exactly how Dusty and Bonnie play  >:D

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 08:17:42 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: September 25, 2020, 08:16:54 AM »
Ah — makes sense now. I think of a dust up as an argument, often coming to physical blows, but normally between humans. I'd probably refer to Bonnie and Dusty's activities as roughhousing or a romp. Fun for both, I'm sure. And fun to watch as well.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: September 25, 2020, 04:44:15 PM »
" Sometimes true stories are better than jokes "

See if you can decipher this one TRex.

I had a surprise visit yesterday from an old mate called Gunner.
He was initially given this nickname due to the time he spent in the military but even after he left the service, the name stuck because he is one of those people who is always going to do this or that but never quite gets around to it.
Anyway, i threw some stubbies in the esky & we went down to the poolside table to have a drink & do a lot of reminiscing about our misspent youth.
While we were there we noticed a couple of blokes ( obviously tourists ) struggling to work out how to start the spa.
They were getting a bit loud as they argued with each other about how to start this spa. (there's a big sign with a large arrow pointing to the big red start button which is conveniently located just after you enter the pool area )
I reckon they sound like yanks, no said Gunner they are definitely Canadian.
Why don't you go ask them & see if they want to join us for a beer while i go & turn on the spa.
G'day fellas, howrgoin, whereyafrom?
In unison they reply Saskatoon,Saskatchewan.
Gunner stands speechless for a moment then rejoins me at our table.
So where are they from ?
I dunno mate, all of a sudden, they couldn't speak a word of English.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:25:00 AM by les303 »

TRex

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: September 26, 2020, 03:10:05 AM »
A challenge, eh? (The latest Challenge puzzle has too many words! Maybe this is easier!)  ;D

The similarity between 'Gunner' and 'going to' (or as casually spelt in USA, 'gonna') is clear enough. I know 'stubbies' is a term for beer containers (without even looking it up), but not sure if limited to cans or if it refers to a specific volume — I'd guess smaller than what is considered normal.

I'd surmise a poolside table could refer to a table near a billiards table or a swimming pool, but given the reference to spa, I'd guess the latter. I'm assuming 'spa' refers to a pool with jets.

I know Saskatoon is the largest city in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan. Both the city and the province names are derived from the Cree language, so in a sense neither of the Canadians spoke a word of English. Other than that, I'm not sure how 'Saskatoon, Saskatchewan' might sound to Australian ears.

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: September 26, 2020, 07:35:29 AM »

I know 'stubbies' is a term for beer containers (without even looking it up), but not sure if limited to cans or if it refers to a specific volume — I'd guess smaller than what is considered normal.

Of course, there's always the Darwin Stubbie.
It is named after the northern ( and thus hot climate ) city, not the man.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: September 26, 2020, 11:04:55 AM »
Well done TRex, all of your interpretations were spot on.
I have the option of buying my beer in either a can (375ml ) or a bottle which is also 375ml. The bottled version is what we call a stubbie.
The Darwin stubbie that whisky has referenced is a huge bottle containing 2 litres of beer. Not a very practicable option which is usually bought for a souvenir to decorate the bar room.
According to Gunner, Saskatoon & Saskatchewan sounded like a foreign language.
We did eventually get to meet & share a beer with the Canadians.
They were a little amused that after introducing themselves as Michael & Robert, they were immediately referred to as Mick & Bob.
They were very friendly blokes who told us that were having a great time visiting Brisbane & in particular, enjoying our glorious weather.
As we said our goodbyes i could not help but notice that their very white skin had turned a distinct shade of red.
After they left, i said to Gunner that after spending the night dealing with  their quite severe sunburn, they may well change their opinion of our glorious weather.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: September 26, 2020, 02:13:38 PM »
Hi Pen,

You’ll have to explain to me what Julie Hagerty was doing with the auto-pilot in that clip that tickled you.

Apparently, a lightning storm, like the ones you love, passed through here last night I was told.  I slept right through it without noticing a thing.  Bonnie didn’t turn a hair either.  It was worse at Coorparoo.  The had lightning strike a tree a few houses away which was a bit sensational.

Dusty is with us for the day.  So a few visuals.

Ready?
Anytime
combat
more
and even more
intermission
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: September 27, 2020, 02:56:52 AM »

You’ll have to explain to me what Julie Hagerty was doing with the auto-pilot in that clip that tickled you.

Apparently, a lightning storm, like the ones you love, passed through here last night I was told.  I slept right through it without noticing a thing.  Bonnie didn’t turn a hair either.  It was worse at Coorparoo.  The had lightning strike a tree a few houses away which was a bit sensational.

Dusty is with us for the day.  So a few visuals.

I'm not really sure Jack - was she putting a smile on his face? >:D

I don't like the sound of that storm at all :(  I would definitely have been in the cupboard under the stairs :laugh:  It's very windy & bitterly cold here - for the end of September!  I was in a t shirt last saturday.  Socks, jeans & a warm jumper today!

Really smashing pictures :)  They look like they're having a whale of a time!

The last picture is there simply because I loved it :laugh:

As the animals left the Ark Noah told them to go forth & multiply.
After some time Noah came across two snakes lying about & sunning themselves.
"Why aren't you multiplying?" asks Noah?
The snakes reply "We can't - we're adders!"

The head cook & bottle washer has just informed me that grub's nearly ready :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: September 27, 2020, 08:26:57 PM »
was she putting a smile on his face? >:D

Blowed if I know, Pen.

Bonnie is having a quiet day today.  I had my morning swim at 8:30 and it was a bit nippy. I mowed the lawn today and longed for a poppy nap this arvo but Bonnie had other ideas

Fitzy’s Joke of the Week has whiskers on it but I think it is worth repeating

After two visits and exhaustive lab tests with my new GP, he said I was doing "fairly well" for my age. A little concerned, I couldn’t resist asking him, “Do you think I’ll live to be 80?”
He asked, “Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer or wine?”
Oh no,” I replied. “I’m not doing drugs, either!
Then he asked, “Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?”
I said, “No, my former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy.”
Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, sailing, hiking or cycling?”
No, I don’t,” I proudly said.
He asked, “Do you gamble, drive fast cars or have a lot of wild sex?”
No,” I said, “absolutely not.
He looked at me and said, “Then why do you even give a bugger?”

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 05:22:04 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: September 28, 2020, 01:19:34 AM »
Blowed if I know, Pen.

Oh Jack if I had half a brain I'd be dangerous :laugh:  I didn't catch on until my second visit to respond to your post!  Talking of which I really enjoyed it.  Made me properly laugh :)  Especially second time round >:D

A fleeing warrior is lost in the desert and he’s in desperate need of water.
Suddenly he sees what he thinks is a stall far off in the distance.
Hoping he might find water there, he hurries towards the stall only to find a little old man selling ties.
The warrior asks, “Do you have any water?“
The old man replies, “No I don’t have any water. Would you like to buy a tie? They’re only £5"
The warrior is irritated by his response and says, “No! I don’t need an over-priced tie right now. I need water! You realize I’m armed? I could kill you. However I must find water first.“
“Alright” says the old man, “It doesn’t matter to me that you don’t want to buy a tie and that you don’t like me. I will show you that I’m the bigger person. If you continue over that hill to the east for about two miles, you will find a lovely restaurant, owned by my brother. It will have all the ice cold water you need. God be with you“.
Muttering, the warrior staggers off over the hill.
Several hours later he staggers back, almost dead.
“Your brother won’t let me in without a tie.“

ps Loved your Monday picture :)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:21:27 AM by Hobbit »

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: September 28, 2020, 01:58:23 AM »
If I speak in a forest and there is no women to hear me am I still wrong?
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: September 28, 2020, 05:49:11 AM »
Maybe not wrong but very brave.  Cold shoulder and hot tongue for you.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: September 28, 2020, 09:14:12 AM »
Hi Pen,

I’ll return the compliment.  You’ve excelled with your humour.

Bonnie has her twelve week inoculations today.  How time flies.  But at the moment she’s snoozing, so I’ll get a quick post in.

Blue asked Sheila if he had been the only one she had been with.  She said,” Yes, all the others had been nines and tens".

Blue was miffed and so he took an old girlfriend out for dinner with intent.  He tried out one of his old lines.  “Darling can you say something that makes my heart beat faster?”.  His old girlfriend replied, “ Yes, Sheila just walked in.”

Regards, Jack