Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814592 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4575 on: August 13, 2020, 09:58:23 PM »
It's stopped raining now Linda but still humid & cloudy here.  It's been unbearable here for a week.  My car said 36c on Tuesday when I left work - couldn't touch the steering wheel!  The bit of a storm yesterday cooled in down a bit. I opened all the doors & windows at home & downstairs was lovely but my bedroom was still roasting last night. As you say it's been a real challenge trying to sleep these last few nights.  I did manage a few hours but not nearly enough!   As it's my day off tomorrow I might follow in your footsteps & have a couple of glasses of pink pinot to help me drop off tonight :-Y
I had tuna & tomato today but it was a bit nothingy - not as scrummy as yours :-H
ps  I get what you mean about the coloured pegs.  I enjoy a new airtight storage container!  I have many different shapes, sizes & colours.  Not very orderly in the cupboard but handy for putting things in :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 10:09:28 PM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: August 14, 2020, 12:55:29 AM »
Ooops I seem to have mislaid a patient - oh dear!

Hi Pen,

I probably have never told you that I have a reading disorder which results in me completely missing the prefix “mis” which is why I sing this sentence.

So, when I read your post, my immediate reaction was “OMG, that woman knows how to get job satisfaction”.

I am a happy little chappy, Pen.  Well, that’s not quite true but 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.  I now have fast broadband again.

I like the way we Queenslanders think.  We get a public holiday in Brisbane each year for the Ekka.  The Royal Queensland Show (Ekka) is Queensland's largest and most loved annual event, normally attracting on average 400,000 people.

Running for 10 days in August since 1876 and staged at its original birthplace, the Brisbane Showgrounds, the Ekka brings the country and city together for a true celebration of agriculture.  It was originally called the Brisbane Exhibition, but it is more commonly known as the "Ekka", short for "exhibition".

Dagwood dogs and strawberry sundaes are to the Ekka that strawberries and cream and cucumber sandwiches are to Wimbledon.

The 2020 Ekka has been cancelled because of COVID-19 but we don't give up our traditions lightly, so today we have our public holiday and Dagwood dogs and strawberry sundaes are available all over town.

Guess who is food oriented already?

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 12:57:01 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: August 14, 2020, 03:06:58 AM »
We live in an "upside down" house on four levels and whilst it is not perfect at least we sleep in the coolest part of the house as of course we all remember the science teacher 's mantra that "heat rises".
I still tend to say that I am going "up" to bed even after over 7 years of sleeping on the bottom floor!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: August 14, 2020, 05:04:13 AM »
Hi Jack

A quick flying visit as I'm a little knacked this evening :-Y

What a cracking post :laugh: - pleased you have your speedy broadband at last :)  I'd forgotten it was arriving today.

The disappearing patient was a babe in arms!  Sadly not a George Clooney look alike >:D  I directed her Mum to the nearby Breast Unit where one of my consultants does her scanning list on a Thursday.  It's only a 2 minute walk but she never got there ???  One of my colleagues searched high & low & rung her mobile but she vanished.  A mystery indeed!

Is the pup that's on the hunt for the grub my favourite?  I do hope she's the one who goes home with you!!  She seems a bit of a tinker & full of mischief :laugh:  A proper little character :)

I love the sound of the "Ekka"  What a great shame it had to be cancelled this year.  How brilliant that it was still celebrated.

That's me for tonight - I'm going to flop in my chair & watch a bit of telly.  It's been thundering again but hopefully it's going to be short lived.

I'll be back tomorrow & hopefully firing on all cylinders :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: August 14, 2020, 05:06:41 AM »
We live in an "upside down" house on four levels and whilst it is not perfect at least we sleep in the coolest part of the house as of course we all remember the science teacher 's mantra that "heat rises".

Very jealous Christine!  If my sofa was a little bigger I would have been tempted to sleep downstairs these last few nights!  Thankfully it feels a little cooler this evening.

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: August 14, 2020, 02:41:24 PM »
I do not normally derive any pleasure from others misfortune but Penny, i have to admit that while your tribulations over the last few days have made me feel very sorry for you, they have also given me a laugh.
I'm sorry but the imagery of you struggling in the pouring rain then finally managing to get the brolly into the car only to have it spring open & saturate the interior is hilarious.
Maybe it was karma as the owner of the borrowed brolly was probably also getting soaked somewhere.
At least the car is still " talking  " to you, if only just to remind you how stinking hot it is.
Then you turn up at work, tired from lack of sleep & have to deal with the ridiculous  situation of a "mislaid " patient.
It all sounds just like an episode from Fawlty Towers.

Seriously though, i do hope that the weather improves for you & you can get a good nights sleep.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: August 14, 2020, 04:30:37 PM »
Hi Les. No sympathy needed! Well apart from at 10.30 last night when the monsoon arrived with thunder & lightning. I was tired & terrified in equal measures!
I'm pleased I gave you a chuckle - it's all true & not enhanced for comic  effect. I have an Aygo & you can only imagine the language when that huge black brolly sprung open. The air was very blue as well as very humid >:D
My day off today ;) Pen

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: August 14, 2020, 08:13:05 PM »
 I wonder how our latest Queenslander & his new puppy will cope when they get their first taste of one of our famous fairdinkum afternoon summer thunderstorms.
I'm sure that the puppy will handle it with no problem at all.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: August 14, 2020, 11:15:19 PM »
G'day Jack

Feeling a bit more with it today!  Never thought I'd be pleased to say it's drizzling & much cooler today :)  It started hammering down with rain & thundering & lightning at 10.30 last night just as I got into bed :-R  Typical!  I eventually fell asleep with the light on & woke in the middle of the night with a crick in my neck :laugh:

Found a couple of Dad jokes for you ;D
I used to date a man with one leg who worked in a brewery.  He was in charge of the hops!

I bought a new shrub trimmer yesterday & proudly showed it to my neighbour.  "Check this out" I said.  "That's great Penny" replied Andy next door.   I said "it's cutting hedge technology"

On my recent visit to Yorkshire, to my great surprise, I ended up in a bird sanctuary.  It all began when I asked a man in Harrogate where the shops were.  "Dost thee want owt in partic'lar, Lass?" he asked.  "Yes" I replied "towels"
(took me a minute or 2 to work that one out :laugh:)

Going for a walk if it ever stops raining :laugh:

Could this apply to me do you think? >:D
If I ever said this when I was a kid one of my uncles used to respond with "so does poison!"

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:22:40 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: August 15, 2020, 12:49:40 AM »
I wonder how our latest Queenslander & his new puppy will cope when they get their first taste of one of our famous fairdinkum afternoon summer thunderstorms.

It probably depends whether the lightning hits or misses, Les.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: August 15, 2020, 01:28:27 AM »
"Dost thee want owt in partic'lar, Lass?" he asked.  "Yes" I replied "towels"

Did he ask if you were Harry Potter in disguise?

Great dad jokes and cartoons, Pen.

We had the Coorparoo mob over for a visit and barbecue yesterday.  They bought us the barbecue as a housewarming present.  We are starting to feel at home here but are still not game to go driving far from home without a GPS,

Taaffeite put 20 new photos on Facebook yesterday.  In my opinion, these are three of the best.

and on the topic du Jour with Les:

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: August 15, 2020, 05:12:59 AM »
Same back at you Jack!  Great cartoons & pictures.  Tomorrow's the big day!  Bet you can't wait :)

Zoe never goes anywhere without her sat nav!!

Going to look for a few words then we're going to enjoy a film with a glass of something...(might be pink! I couldn't possibly say :laugh:)

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: August 15, 2020, 12:37:08 PM »
It probably depends whether the lightning hits or misses, Les.

Actually Jack, you are pretty well located there in the Cleveland / Redlands area as you are not in the severe storm belt area. Our worst storms usually come down from the south through the gold coast, Jimboomba & Beenleigh suburbs or from the west through Gatton, Ipswich etc although you will not be totally immune so just make sure that you do not hang around on the golf course when you see the storm clouds building.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: August 15, 2020, 02:36:32 PM »
Lee Trevino used to say you had to wave one-iron above your head because even God could not hit a one-iron.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: August 15, 2020, 05:32:01 PM »

Could this apply to me do you think? >:D
If I ever said this when I was a kid one of my uncles used to respond with "so does poison!"

I just picked up on this, Pen

I tried to find something about big is beautiful but I bombed out and so I am going to seek solace with a Sauv Blanc.

Regards, Jack