Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814632 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4515 on: August 04, 2020, 10:19:30 PM »
when i make a salad i cut up all of the ingredients quite finely, toss it all around in dressing before plating it up & adding the meat separately.

Makes perfect sense to me, Les.  I often make 'barriers' on my plate to prevent one ingredient mixing with another! 

I'm having soup and toast at my desk today!  :(  Tonight I'm having tuna fishcakes, new potatoes, parsley sauce and broccoli.  I'm not keen on broccoli but it's healthy so I'll just grin and bear it.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: August 05, 2020, 12:02:18 AM »
I love the sound of the fishcakes, new spuds & parsley sauce Linda.  Like you I'm not keen on broccoli.  Not much taste.  I'd rather have a sweetheart cabbage!  Problem is with a lot of fresh veg there is far too much for one.  I love frozen peas ;D
It's pasta for me tonight with a piece of rather nice cheese & garlic bread.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: August 05, 2020, 02:06:05 PM »
Back to normal today with a pretty run of the mill lunch - toasted sandwich -salami,cheese,onion,tomato with a twist of ground black pepper & a cup of tomato soup.
Tip for a good toastie is to butter the outside of the bread & a tip for broccoli is not to overcook it, definitely do not boil, lightly fried or steamed so that it still has some crunch is the way that i like to eat it.
Intrigued by the expression " new " spuds, haven't heard that one before & hate to think that i've been eating "old" spuds for all these years.

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #4518 on: August 05, 2020, 06:26:31 PM »
Les, as an ex-Pom (or maybe you can never be an ex-Pom?) I can explain.

'New' potatoes are a special variety only available at the height of summer. They are small, have loose skins that can be just rubbed off, and are absolutely delicious, much better than the 'old' potatoes available during the rest of the year. I've never seen anything like them for sale in Australia.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: August 05, 2020, 06:27:57 PM »
Hi Les

I love the sound of your toasted sarnie but it would have to be minus the salami. Don't like it at all!   I have cheese & Marmite (Vegemite to you :laugh:)  They would be lovely toasted but as we only have a normal toaster here at work it's not happening!  We get new spuds in the summer & old ones all year round!  New spuds are (supposedly) freshly dug & haven't been stored for long. The most famous are Jersey Royals.  The ones I had this year weren't that great but if you get some good ones they are, to quote Linda, delish. Old spuds are good for jackets, mash, roasties etc. When I was a kid my granddad used to grow all manner of things including spuds.  He used to dig them in the morning & we'd have them for lunch.  All these years later I can still remember how good they tasted. I'd pinch peas straight from the pods & there was always loads of strawberries & raspberries :-H   Don't think I've explained myself very well but I'm sure either of my sisters can do better :laugh:

I'll see your Mr Potato Head cartoon & offer you these :laugh:

Clinic's getting busy so I'd better skedaddle

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: August 05, 2020, 06:30:11 PM »
'New' potatoes are a special variety only available at the height of summer. They are small, have loose skins that can be just rubbed off, and are absolutely delicious, much better than the 'old' potatoes available during the rest of the year. I've never seen anything like them for sale in Australia.

Thanks Rose you summed it up perfectly :)

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: August 06, 2020, 01:48:10 AM »
Penny you can buy "toast pockets" which are special bags that you put the sandwich in and then use a normal toaster. I haven't used them myself but a work mate uses them especially in the winter when a warm sarnie is especially welcome at lunchtime.I think she gets hers from Lakeland Plastics (we have a nearby store but they do have a website.)
My Dad grew lovely new potatoes too when I was a girl. In fact he ran our enormous back garden like an allotment. We had apples blackcurrents,tomatoes' cucumbers ' marrows(nobody knew about courgettes then!) strawberries' onions ' cabbages of all types etc etc. I buy my veg at a market stall now and as much of their stock as possible is grown near Southport and so travels relatively few miles to get to Kendal and the spuds are beautiful.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: August 06, 2020, 05:31:14 AM »
Hi Folks,

We are spending our second night in the new house.  I was so whacked on Tuesday night I slept for 9 hours. We have all the boxes unpacked although parts of the house still look like bombsite.

One problem is that I have not been able to get NBN working so I have no broadband.  I am reliant on my iPhone for the internet and it is annoyingly slow and limiting.

The pups are getting very mobile. 

There is a birthday in the Coorparoo family today and We will be staying there tonight. I will have access to broadband, so I will try to Get time to post a video.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 05:33:44 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

les303

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Never give up just keep on trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: August 06, 2020, 01:03:48 PM »
Hi Pen, well you definitely got the better of me with your Mr potato head cartoons.(very amusing )
Not surprised to hear that you are not a salami fan, its one of those things that you either love or hate, i just love the spiciness of it.
Anyway, i'm off to the local deli to pick up a roast chook & a loaf of freshly baked bread so that will be my lunch sorted.
Of course the bottle shop just happens to be on the way so i might be tempted to call in there as well.
By the way, have you heard about the chicken that could only lay eggs in the winter... She was no spring chicken.
And you might have also heard why Jack is so good at golf... its all due to his diet which consists mostly of greens

Bon apetit

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: August 06, 2020, 08:59:07 PM »
Hi Pen,

Still no luck with the broadband at home but

Here's something that might amuse you
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: August 06, 2020, 10:35:18 PM »
Thanks Jack I love that :-*  It really tickled me - especially as the ladies seem to be getting the better of the gents :laugh:  I bet you can't wait to bring one home :) 

It sounds like you've broken the back of the unpacking & now just got to find a place for everything & everything in it's place!  It's a nuisance about the broadband.  Hopefully you can get it sorted soon.

The last one's irrelevant now but it made me chuckle anyway :laugh:

Hope you've enjoyed the birthday celebrations & perhaps had a glass or 2 :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: August 06, 2020, 10:44:51 PM »
Penny you can buy "toast pockets" which are special bags that you put the sandwich in and then use a normal toaster. I haven't used them myself but a work mate uses them especially in the winter when a warm sarnie is especially welcome at lunchtime.I think she gets hers from Lakeland Plastics (we have a nearby store but they do have a website.)

Thanks Christine sounds just what I need I will investigate them on the internet.  It's been a few years since I was last in Kendal but I do remember Lakeland Plastics.  I think it was near the train station - opposite Booths supermarket. I'm probably making it up as my memory ain't wot it used to be :laugh:
Your Dad's garden sounds idyllic.  The only things I can't get on with are blackcurrants.  I've never liked them.  I get my spuds in Sainsburys or Morrisons.  They're alright but that's about all you can say about them.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: August 06, 2020, 11:11:59 PM »
Hi Les

I lose track of the time difference between us.  I read your post earlier & had a vision of you sitting down to lunch & demolishing a whole roast chook & loaf of crusty bread - washed down with a glass or 2 or beer >:D  My lunch today was tuna & tomato sarnie.  Nowt exciting but it filled me up!
I like chorizo in small doses & love pepperoni pizza so it's not the spiciness that puts me off.  Maybe it's because the last time I tried salami it was served cold & I hated the taste & texture.

Your jokes were funny - even if they were nearly sprouting whiskers :laugh:

These signs have allegedly been spotted in public use.
Sign in a London department store: Bargain basement upstairs.
In an office: Would the person who took the step ladder yesterday please bring it back or further steps will be taken.
In an office: After tea break, staff should empty the teapot and stand upside down on the draining board.
Outside a secondhand shop: We exchange anything--bicycles, washing machines, etc. Why not bring your wife along and get a wonderful bargain.
Notice sent to residents of a Wiltshire parish: Due to increasing problems with the litter louts and vandals, we must ask anyone with relatives buried in the graveyard to do their best to keep them in order.
Sign warning of quicksand: Quicksand, any person passing this point will be drowned, by order of the district council.
Spotted in a safari park: Elephants please stay in your car.

Did you hear about the man who was found guilty of overusing commas?
The judge warned him to expect a really long sentence.
These haven't just got whiskers but a full bushy beard :laugh:  Still made me chuckle though!

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: August 07, 2020, 12:27:26 AM »
Hi Penny
Lakeland plastics is situated as you describe but that is not Kendal it is Windermere.We don't actually have a branch in Kendal but they do have stores in a lot of places now (of course some may not re open after Covid) so there may be one near to you.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: August 07, 2020, 04:32:46 AM »
Hi Christine.
At least I wasn't a million miles away then!  Just a few.  I've just checked & according to their website we have a shop in Central Milton Keynes which is a 10/15 minute drive away.  Don't go often (only one since lockdown) but may nip up there tomorrow morning & treat myself to a Pret for lunch :)  I never get why people can enjoy spending all day wandering from shop to shop.  My idea of hell :laugh:  I park on a free 30 minute space & am in & out in a flash!