Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814613 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4410 on: July 23, 2020, 04:29:05 AM »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: July 23, 2020, 05:09:13 PM »
Breeder's comment:And just like that, they’re aware of each other and me ! I got my first tail wags today! One of my favourite moments with a litter 😍❤️🐾

A lot more interesting
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: July 24, 2020, 03:36:42 AM »
Hi Pen,

It must be time for a puzzle.

It is a phrase which means to heed one’s manners or to behave properly.  Its origin is disputed.

#4  #4  #2  #3  #2

s

One bonus point for each disputed origin of the phrase.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: July 24, 2020, 05:01:10 AM »
Hi Jack

I've had a very busy & enjoyable day :)

I enjoyed the first of the snippets this morning with my early morning cuppa & watched the second one just now.  Amazingly Facebook didn't block me :)  Maybe it's something to do with trying to watch it at work before?  Who knows.  Anyway I loved seeing the puppies :-*  I wanted to climb into my laptop & pick them up & give them a cuddle :laugh:

I found 5 different variations as to the origin of this phrase!  I cheated & copied & pasted...
1. Mind your pints and quarts. This is suggested as deriving from the practice of chalking up a tally of drinks in English pubs (on the slate). Publicans had to make sure to mark up the quart drinks as distinct from the pint drinks. This explanation is widely repeated but there's little to support it, apart from the fact that pint and quart begin with P and Q.
2. Advice to printers' apprentices to avoid confusing the backward-facing metal type lowercase Ps and Qs, or the same advice to children who were learning to write. I've never heard any suggestion that anyone should 'mind their Ds and Bs' though, even though that makes just as much sense and has the added benefit of rhyming, which would have made it a more attractive slogan. Nevertheless, the fact that handmade paper was an expensive commodity and that the setting of type in early presses was very time consuming makes the printing story a strong candidate. The fact that type had to be set upside down and backwards made the need for a warning to be careful doubly appropriate.
3. Mind your pea (jacket) and queue (wig). Pea jackets were short rough woollen overcoats, commonly worn by sailors in the 18th century. Perruques were full wigs worn by fashionable gentlemen. It is difficult to imagine the need for an expression to warn people to avoid confusing them.
'Pee', as a name for a man's coarse coat, is recorded as early as 1485, so it is possible that that is what Dekker was referring to in his 1602 citation. If so, that usage long pre-dates all others and we have the definitive origin of 'pee and kue'. 'Kue' or 'cue' as the name of a man's wig isn't known until well after 1602 though, so it still isn't certain what Dekker meant by it.
4. Mind your pieds (feet) and queues (wigs). This is suggested to have been an instruction given by French dancing masters to their charges. This has the benefit of placing the perruque in the right context - as long as we accept the phrase as being originally French. However, there's no reason to suppose it is from France and no version of the phrase exists in French.
5. Another version of the 'advice to children' origin has it that 'Ps and Qs' derives from 'mind your pleases and thank-yous''. That is widely touted as an origin but seems to me to be a back-formation, that is, an explanation fitted to explain the phrase after it was coined in some other context. 'Pleases and thank-yous' doesn't appear to lead to 'Ps and Qs'.

My favourite is the pints & quarts :laugh:

I'm a bit knacked this evening :-Y A quieter & more restful day tomorrow so I will be up to the challenge of giving you a puzzle >:D

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: July 24, 2020, 10:59:04 PM »
Hi Jack

I'm having a more leisurely day today :)

I've come up with a puzzle & hope I can do it!  It's another phrase - something I actually said to one of my work friends only the other day.  I suspect you'll find it a bit easy peasy :laugh:
#3 #5 #4 #7 #3 #4  The surname of the lady in picture 2 is a sort of homophone of the word!!
Thethe

Against all the forecasts by the weatherman the sun has just come out so I'm going for a walk before it changes it's mind :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: July 25, 2020, 05:17:44 AM »
Hi Pen,

My puzzle was obviously too easy for you.  I'll have to get my little grey cells working better.

This morning I am one of those who are the subject of your puzzle.  A companion saying is early to bed, early to rise, makes you healthy, wealthy and wise.  I have to say it is not working for me.

Your GPS jokes were very pertinent to me at the moment, because I can't get around Brisbane without one.  I daresay that in time I will get a picture of the city and the plethora of one-way streets in my mind but at the moment it is a complete mystery.

We are going out to see the puppies in the flesh tomorrow but I will be careful not to pick a favourite because I am sure we will love whichever one we are allocated in very quick time.

Must go, I've got a worm to catch.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: July 26, 2020, 02:17:43 AM »
Hi Jack

I expect you're enjoying your magical mystery tours round Brisbane in your lovely new Subaru :)  Zoe rarely goes anywhere without her satnav as she has the most appalling sense of direction  >:D :laugh:

Look forward to hearing how your visit to see the puppies went :)  & perhaps more pictures :laugh:  When will they be ready to leave their Mum?

Getting peckish :-H so off to see

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: July 26, 2020, 03:25:13 AM »

When will they be ready to leave their Mum?

Hi Pen,

We have been told the pups can be collected when they are 9 weeks old.  We might find out more when we are out there later this morning.

This will be the first year we’re not going to the UK because of COVID-19.  The other years we haven’t gone because we couldn’t afford it.

Peter FitzSimon’s Joke of the Week

A little girl walks into a pet shop and asks in the sweetest little lisp, “Excuthe me, mithter, do you keep widdle wabbits?”

As the shopkeeper’s heart melts, he gets down on his knees so that he’s on her level and asks, “Do you want a widdle white wabbit or a thoft and fuwwy bwack wabbit, or maybe one like that cute widdle bwown wabbit over there?”

She in turn blushes, rocks on her heels, puts her hands on her knees, leans forward and says in a quiet voice, “I don’t fink my pet python weally gives a thit.”
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: July 26, 2020, 04:30:25 AM »
Oh Jack that's very funny & a bit ghoulish at the same time :laugh:

I don't want to read the headlines on the internet tomorrow morning that an otherwise respectable man from the Redland Bay area was arrested trying to leg it with four puppies stuffed up his jumper!! :laugh:

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: July 26, 2020, 01:32:22 PM »
Hi Jack....is that your photo on puppy Facebook ? 
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: July 26, 2020, 02:52:49 PM »
Hi Jack....is that your photo on puppy Facebook ?

Yes, Moyra. The pups and June are photogenic but the other one is me

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 03:08:49 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: July 26, 2020, 06:10:43 PM »
  Hi Jack and June

They are ever so lovely.
How the heck do you choose one or has the breeder said which one you can have

Did you have to pass a Viva Voce to get the pup

Jack you looked Ok in the photo 

Carol

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: July 26, 2020, 06:29:03 PM »
Yes, indeed, Carol, which one do you choose?  So hard.

A great solution, of course, would be one for Jack and one for June.

But now that you are in the Sunshine State, Jack, you may not be in need a two-dog-night!
Have you explained that one to Pen yet?

Cheers Val

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 07:07:11 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: July 26, 2020, 09:46:07 PM »
Hi Pen, Carol, and Valerie.

We had an enjoyable visit out to Taaffeite pups this morning.  It’s a 45-minute drive each way in surprisingly heavy traffic.   The pups are still pretty dormant but cute, nevertheless.  I didn’t have a jumper so I couldn’t hide one under it.  It is better that they stay with mum for several weeks.

We go back in three weeks with the other prospective owners to interact with the pups when they are more active and apparently this will be used to decide who gets which dog. 

We had thought of getting two dogs but advice from the literature is that this is not a sound practice for raising pups as pets because there is a distinct possibility that they will bond with each other more than with the humans.  In any case, the one we get and the one that goes to Coorparoo will get together on a fairly regular basis.

Whichever pup we end up with, I expect it will be soon part of the pack and much loved.  The breeder is very particular about who she sells her pups to.  I think we have passed the test.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: July 27, 2020, 02:27:49 AM »

But now that you are in the Sunshine State, Jack, you may not be in need a two-dog-night!
Have you explained that one to Pen yet?

Cheers Val

Hi Jack

Firstly the picture is smashing :)  Honestly you're nearly as bad as me!!  I always think I look terrible in pictures. Not helped by the fact that I have a very lazy eye.  I always think it looks pronounced in any pictures.  It's a lovely, natural picture of you both.

Secondly please explain what Val's talking about.  I'm intrigued!

I've had a busy day.  Mowed the lawn, been for a walk, cooked a curry which I portioned up to go in the freezer & the day has run away with me.  I was hoping to come up with a tricky little challenge for you but it'll have to keep til another day.  Work tomorrow :(  Hopefully it will be quiet enough so I can apply my little grey cell to the problem in hand :laugh:

I keep hoping for a knock on the door & James Martin or Raymond Blanc will be on the doorstep offering to cook for me :laugh:  The reality is a ping meal for one!

Penx