Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814095 times)

TRex

• Eulexic
  • ~50 miles from Chicago, in the Corn (maize) Belt
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4335 on: July 03, 2020, 07:09:34 AM »
75f sounds perfect :)  It's chilly & grey here & barely scraping 60f :(

I'd take 60°F and grey in a heartbeat! 90°F here, same yesterday, 89°F Tuesday. The only thing good about this time of year is fresh fruit & veggies.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: July 04, 2020, 01:56:44 AM »
Hi Pen,

We arrived in Brisbane after a good trip.  It was slow crossing the border between NSW and Qld as the police had to see the border pass in each car and so it was over half an hour between when we joined the queue and finally got back to normal traffic.

Everybody is well here and the boys seem to have grown a lot even though it is only February since we have seen them.

We have about half a dozen properties to inspect today so it is going to be a busy day.  July is the coldest month here so it only got to 77oF yesterday. ;D

I hope your weather improves even though it would appear to suit TRex.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: July 04, 2020, 04:53:36 AM »
Hi Jack

Pleased to read you had a good trip & that the Brisbane contingent are all well :)  The boys have obviously had a growth spurt since you saw them in February :laugh:

Sadly our weather is not improving much at the moment :(  It's been slightly warmer (into the mid 60's) but howling a gale, grey & lots of showers.  TRex is welcome to do a swap with me although I suspect I would be moaning about being too hot after a day or two >:D

I'm looking forward to a glass of pink plonk a bit later :)  A friend at work has lent me a DVD called Keeping Mum & assures me it's very funny.  Bizarrely it has Rowan Atkinson & Patrick Swayze in it.  Not a combination I thought I'd ever see in a film!

I am crossing everything that one of the houses you view is exactly what you are looking for :)

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: July 04, 2020, 09:06:40 AM »
Keeping Mum, is a great movie.

Another enjoyable movie we saw recently was 'What we did on our Holiday' with Billy Connolly.
Worth seeking out.

Jack enjoy the warmer winter weather.
The piper will be paid in summer.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: July 05, 2020, 04:32:54 AM »
You're right Michael it is a great film.  It wasn't at all what I was expecting but very enjoyable nonetheless.  I will have a search for What we did on our Holiday a bit later on.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: July 05, 2020, 09:49:04 AM »
'What We Did on Our Holiday' is an excellent film, helped by an outstanding cast of actors including a former Doctor Who and the wonderful Annette Crosbie, who, as Margaret Meldrew knows all about dealing with cantankerous old men!

I'm surprised the film is not better known

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: July 05, 2020, 10:07:54 AM »
As an Aussie, another old favourite movie is 'The Dish'.

It is a lovely play off between Aussie English and American English languages and values.
Most Brits get it too.

If you are locked down, seek it out.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: July 05, 2020, 12:24:38 PM »
The Castle and Backyard Ashes are two others that Jack recommended some time ago.
Both very good indeed.

I don't know 'The Dish'. I'll look out for it.

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: July 05, 2020, 01:31:05 PM »
I hope you enjoy it.
The Dish is set in 1969 around the time of the first moon landing.
So there's a good dose of nostalgia in the movie too.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: July 05, 2020, 08:35:03 PM »
Hi Pen,

It's been a busy weekend.

We looked at 8 houses yesterday.  Two showed promise although one may be outside the range we want to spend.  One agent claimed there are about 6 coming onto the market in our price range in the next fortnight so we will be patient even though this is not a virtue I excel in.

I don't suppose I mentioned how great the weather is here in Qld.

The houses we are looking at are about 30 kilometres from Moira, so we are unlikely to be neighbors but that should not preclude us getting together for a cup of coffee when we are settled. 

I think I will have some quiet times in the next few days so I will try to figure out some things that will amuse you.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: July 05, 2020, 11:00:49 PM »
Hi Jack

Pleased that the house hunting is going well & you've found a couple which might fit the bill :)  If not then if there are more on the horizon, hopefully, you'll find something you love.  You did made me chuckle as impatience is something we have in common :laugh:  What is the nearest town where you are looking?  I'd like to have a look at Ms Google!

I've just been to the churchyard & taken some flowers for Ray.  15 years since I lost him.  Where does the time go?

You might just have mentioned the wonderful weather once or twice :-R  It is actually sunny here today but still howling a gale so not terribly pleasant.  My washing is wrapped round & round the line & it's blown all the flowers off my lovely rose bush :(

Going for a walk to blow the cobwebs away :laugh: 

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: July 05, 2020, 11:06:08 PM »
As an Aussie, another old favourite movie is 'The Dish'.

It is a lovely play off between Aussie English and American English languages and values.
Most Brits get it too.

Thanks for reminding me Michael - I have to say that this is a film I've always wanted to watch.  I'll have to get no1 daughter to see if she can find a DVD on eBay or Amazon as it's not on my NOW Tv store as far as I can see.  I'll get her to look for What We did on our Holiday at the same time.  Kill two birds with one stone!

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: July 06, 2020, 03:44:12 AM »
Hi Penny
 the cartoon about light bulbs reminds me of buying a house over 35 years ago. We hired a van and my parents helped us to move in. Once the van was empty we all needed food. Off my Dad went to the chippy and Mum and I set about finding plates etc. It went dark so we switched on the lights  but of course they didn't work. No bulbs. Candlelit fish and chips - so romantic! This was an additional surprise as we had also assumed that the people had a wall unit with a back to  it but what we inherited was a VERY dark brown (large) alcove. I can't remember how many coats of the then fashionable "tinted whites" we had to use to cover that up!! We were only young but it taught me a lesson about buying a new home.

Jack      are you listening!!

Sadly people are still taking light bulbs with them when they move even though here in the UK we now have to list what we are leaving and what we are taking with us. The next door neighbour to where we now live moved out about 4 years ago and also took bulbs but they also took the padlock from the outside  store under the house and the poor single lady who had purchased the house found a dosser installed in the undercroft when she moved in!!

I am sure the Australian public have better taste and manners than these people had so no need to worry Jack!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: July 06, 2020, 04:56:02 AM »
Blimey Christine I thought people had stopped doing that years ago!!  Didn't realise it still went on.  Your poor neighbour - how awful to find a dosser :(  Not what you need when you've just moved in.  Bad enough being left in the dark!  As my Dad was fond of saying "there's nowt as queer as folk" 

Many years ago when I worked at the Halifax it was my job at the time to deal with houses when they been repossessed.  It was in the late 80's when the bottom fell out of the housing market & people had massive negative equity.  When people moved out some of them took as much as they could. Light fittings, curtain poles, doors & even fitted kitchens amongst other stuff!!  I remember the bailiff going into one house with the locksmith & he rung me to say that the occupants were obviously in denial.  They'd gone out to work as normal & had even left the evening meal ready on the cooker.  All their belongings were still there.  Very sad.

Anyway the good news is I've had a hair cut :)  Do hope you get yours done very soon.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: July 06, 2020, 05:58:59 AM »
Holly the dog gets her hair cut tomorrow. I will try to get a booking sorted out during my 2 hours of dog free freedom!