Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814275 times)

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4305 on: June 27, 2020, 03:47:52 AM »
Happy Birthday Mike, from the Old Country.
Would lift a glass for you but the pubs are still shut  :-[
Hope you have a good one
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 03:49:32 AM by Dragonman »
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: June 27, 2020, 09:04:52 PM »
Hi Jack
Meant to ask if you managed to sort out a decent removal firm?

Time will tell, Pen. We got three firms to quote and picked the one we thought would be best but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. 

You were spot on with my puzzle.  I thought I might be able to fox you with that one.

With your puzzle, which was clever, I lucked onto it quite quickly and only needed it to find the author and the second actor. As a second actor I would go for Sam Neil because he is the biggest thing in  Australia at the moment. Your author Tom shared a name with a hero of Australian poetry. 

“And an answer came directed in a writing unexpected,
(And I think the same was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar)
Twas his shearing mate who wrote it, and verbatim I will quote it:
'xxxxxx's gone to Queensland droving, and we don't know where he are.'”

I liked all of your cartoons but  could only visionalise you going for the one in the middle.

We came down to Canberra today to bring Andrew home and the station wagon was loaded to the gunwales.

I’ve got more to tell you, Pen, But I am too knackered tonight.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: June 28, 2020, 02:31:39 AM »
Just dropped in to say Hi Jack  :laugh:

I've had a bit of a lazy day! My get up & go has got up & left >:D  Thankfully it's a bit cooler today :)

You nearly foxed me with your last puzzle!  It was Rock Hudson that almost flummoxed me :laugh:  You were spot on with my puzzle of course.  I liked your poetry bonus :)

There's a pizza in the fridge with my name on it & the other half of my pink plonk for later ;)

Catch up with you tomorrow :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 02:35:45 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: June 28, 2020, 07:01:44 PM »
Now, Pen where was I last night when I couldn’t keep my peepers open any longer.

Andrew presented me with a late birthday present.  The chance to share a glass of special beer with him.  The beer was James Squires "the Wreck Survivor's Ale
As you can see I enjoyed it

I think this will interest you

Unfortunately, the story went viral and it is now a bit more expensive than your average beer.  You might like to see what you can pick one up for from eBay in the UK.

Well, marvelous as it, was there was not much of it, So we had a bottle of Sauv Blanc and a bottle of red with dinner and then decided to do a taste test runoff between an Aberlour A'bunadh and a Glenfarclas 12-year-old cask strength.  I am not sure how many times we had to rerun the test, Pen, but I am sure we came to a positive conclusion, and the only problem is, that we can’t remember what it was.

We came back to the Southern Highlands today and now my eyelids are getting heavy again, so I might have to leave a traditional post until tomorrow.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 07:12:16 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: June 28, 2020, 08:11:02 PM »
OK Jack

I am taking the bait.

I am a fan of both Aberlour and Glenfarclas.

I am intrigued by the Glenfarclas 12, Cask Strength.
That is not a standard whisky, as far as I know.
Was it a 'Whisky & Wisdom' special, or perhaps a Family cask member ?

Michael

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: June 28, 2020, 08:43:26 PM »
Michael, I was working from a blurred memory.  I remember, I think,the Glenfarclas was  43% while the Abelour was 59+%.  I’ll consult with my son and get back to you
Regards, Jack

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: June 28, 2020, 10:16:11 PM »
Hi Jack

I understand the problem.

If it was Aberlour a'bunadh versus a standard Glenfarclas 12, then I guess the Aberlour would win ( in my opinion ).

If the Glenfarclas was a Whjsky & Wisdom, that's another matter entirely.
The story is a good yarn.
It's a story that involves fine whisky, money and personal judgement ( perhaps even hubris, if one was unkind ).
If you sell the house well, and feel like celebrating you could visit here:
https://www.whiskyandwisdom.com/shop/whisky-and-wisdom-glenfarclas/

I look forward to the next chapter.

Michael

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: June 28, 2020, 11:12:40 PM »
Hi Jack

I loved your post :)  A great picture &, as you correctly assume, I very much enjoyed the story of the Wreck Survivor's Ale.  Brilliant :)  It did look like you were holding a pint of Guinness at first glance :laugh:  I did as you suggested & searched for one on the UK eBay.  Sadly no luck.  All I could find were James Squires The Constable Copper Ale collectable coasters.

It sounds like you & Andrew had a wonderful time supping (sorry taste testing!) copious amounts of alcohol >:D

I've mowed the lawn & put my sheets on the washing line.  Unfortunately it's so windy I think there's every possibility they'll end up in the next street or even the next town!!  I was hoping to sit in the garden & read my book for a while but I can't find a sheltered spot.

Did you hear they’ve translated Harper Lee’s magnum opus into Mexican? It’s called Tequila Mockingbird.
They’re filming a new Renee Zellweger movie in Cuba. It’s called Bridget Jones Daiquiri.

I'll leave you with a couple of naff jokes ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: June 29, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »
Hi Michael,

I have consulted and it was the standard Glenfarclas 12YO and, although it was very good, your judgement the the Aberlour was better accords with our view.
Regards, Jack

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: June 29, 2020, 09:46:20 AM »
Hi Jack

Aha.
Nice to know.
Thanks.

When you next visit Melbourne, we should sit down together.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: June 29, 2020, 05:03:49 PM »
I did as you suggested & searched for one on the UK eBay.  Sadly no luck.  All I could find were James Squires The Constable Copper Ale collectable coasters.

It sounds like you & Andrew had a wonderful time supping (sorry taste testing!) copious amounts of alcohol >:D

This is an excerpt of the ad on Aussie eBay.
JAMES SQUIRE | THE WRECK - SURVIVORS' ALE (Limited Edition: 5,000 bottles only)
Condition: Brand New AU $240.00

Another eBay ad is asking for AU $400.

Not much difference between Porter and Stout

We did have an enjoyable time but I confess I used a bit of poetic licence on how much we drank.  Actually, we only had a modest (for us) nip of each.

Great humour, Pen.

To be continued...................

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: June 29, 2020, 07:12:20 PM »
Morning Jack

Feeling a bit grumpy & out of sorts this morning :(  I think my enthusiasm is still at home in bed!!

Brilliant pictures Jack - made me chuckle & cheered me up :laugh:

I have a little puzzle for you.  It's a 19th century novel.  9# 4#

S

I wont ask you for the author - far too easy peasey :laugh:  For the bonus point can you name the heroine please.

I'll offer you a little Ronnie Barker :)
'The man who invented the zip fastener was today honoured with a lifetime peerage. He will now be known as the Lord of the Flies.
''The prime minister held a meeting with the cabinet today. He also spoke to the bookcase and argued with the chest of drawers.'

Who tastes dog food when it has a 'new & improved' flavour? Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together? When the stars are out they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible. If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked and dry cleaners depressed?

Assuming my alter-ego >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: June 29, 2020, 08:10:39 PM »
Cooey Linda
Haven't heard from you for a few days so I thought I'd check up on you :laugh:  How's the sensible eating going?  Do you weigh yourself or do you just know by how tight your trousers are? (mine are a bit too tight ;D)  Did you enjoy your lazy days in the garden last week?  Don't think you'll be sitting out today if your weather's anything like it is here!

Egg & tomato sarnies today :-H Roll on lunchtime!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: June 29, 2020, 08:55:14 PM »
Morning Pen

Had some lovely lazy days in the garden last week - really got too hot!  Not today though, overcast and a bit of rain but at least not as windy as it has been the past couple of days.  Disappointingly, we only had one small thunderstorm - not really amounting to much and not enough to get excited about. 

Sensible eating is going well.  I don't make a habit of weighing myself but just out of interest stepped on the scales this morning and have lost three pounds in the last week!  Obviously, that will slow down a bit but it is a good start - another four to five pounds and I will be back to looking less like a house end!!

Lunch for me will probably be mushroom soup and granary toast.  I am going to watch the epic Nadal v Federer match this afternoon.  Didn't see it at the time because I was at a wedding.  :(  As I know the outcome, I will be able to watch it without hiding behind a cushion!  My ex boss was at the match and said it was awesome - and very long.

Watched my hero - David Bowie - at Glastonbury last night - brilliant!  Hard to believe he's not with us any more.  :'(

Have a lovely day!  Hope the grumpiness wears off soon.  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: June 29, 2020, 11:34:42 PM »
That's brilliant Linda :)  A great result.

I'm not so grumpy now I'm fed & watered >:D

It's still howling a gale here :(  No rain though thankfully.

I'd forgotten Wimbledon should have started today.  That was a great final between Federer & Nadal.  I was a huge Bjorn Borg fan when I was at school.   There seemed to be more characters back then - Nastase for one!  Though perhaps I'm wearing rose tinted specs :laugh:  Back in the 70's I do remember watching a Wimbledon semi final between Vitas Gerulitis &, I think, Borg.  One of the most exciting, edge of the seat matches I've ever seen.  You're probably too young to remember.

I think David Bowie was one of the first musicians to play at the Milton Keynes Bowl.  It's a big grassy hole in the ground with a stage at one end!  Fine as long as it doesn't rain!  In those days, before they smothered the area in undergrowth & trees, you could sit in the garden with a drink & hear the concert as clear as anything.  As you can imagine Status Quo were very loud!!  They even had Michael Jackson!
It's sad that Bowie's no longer with us - a great loss.  Same can be said about George Michael.  For all that he was a damaged person he did write some great stuff.

I'd think I'd better not tell you that I have a Gregg's sausage roll, chips & beans for tea >:D