Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814561 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4230 on: June 19, 2020, 11:59:44 PM »
How Do Jack

I'm popping in with a quick & easy puzzle.  Couldn't come up with anything tricky or devious :(

It's a play. 3# 5# 5# 2# 7# You need the character in the first picture & the collective name for the ladies in the second picture.
Theof
For your bonus please name the main character.

Going out for a walk before the rain starts again...

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: June 20, 2020, 12:06:22 AM »
Back from Kendal laden with shopping and I did remember the corned beef - 2 tins, of course.  Just to be ultra cautious, I also bought some slices from the deli.

Had a nice browse around M & S and bought a top and some knickers!  Exciting!

I am beginning to think we are the only two who have an aversion to  >:D Pen.  Looks like we're stuck with it!

Going to sit down with a cup of coffee and a digestive biscuit before preparing tea - Chicken Kievs, chips and peas - double yum!!

A very successful shopping trip all round Linda :)  I love getting new knickers.  Might have to treat myself now you've put the idea in my head.
I fear you're right about  >:D.  We'll have to put up with it I'm afraid!!
Your tea sounds very delish - if I set off now do you think I'd make it in time :laugh:
Enjoy!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: June 20, 2020, 01:03:40 AM »
You'd have to fight me for them, Pen!  Am a very hungry bunny today (how unusual!).  Only had some pineapple and bran flakes for breakfast and a duck spring roll in the car for lunch after shopping.  That's put the idea of having a Chinese takeaway for dinner tomorrow or Sunday.  Hope this obsession with food isn't going to last much longer or I'll be the size of a house!!  :-H  I think I'll make a silent protest about  >:D by not using him any more.  Perhaps the  :angel: will have to do but I'm not vastly keen on that one, either.  :(

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: June 20, 2020, 02:34:12 AM »
Hi Pen,

Perhaps the reason they were merry
was because they drank much sherry
but if they had a new pair of knickers
they could offer Sir John other liquors
to go into the woods with a fairy.

That's weak enough to make me fall on my staff.

I had thought of getting Blue to take our furniture north but I  did a quick count of pubs on the way and decided against it.

The puzzle is an Australian play by Andrew Bovell

#4  3  #4 #5  #7

the    

Hint:  In the tiger picture, what happens to his swing.

Bonus question:  Where is the play set and in what year?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 02:36:22 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: June 20, 2020, 03:15:08 AM »
Devastated! No Guiness and Leek sausages! The car park was very full so it was no surprise to see quite a few gaps on the shelves.

I went into M n S Kendal last week and raided the yellow label  sale area. One jumper at 79p and 3 more at £1.79 each !!! Oh yes and I get 20% staff discount as my hubby works there! Sorry girls. Oh I love a bargain and my thrifty Yorkshire heritage seems to smell them out!

It is indeed nice to be back at work. In the current job I am lucky enough to work with lovely folk and the vast vast majority of the customers are really lovely so going back was even easier than I thought it would be. Looking forward to the hairdresser opening next month and then getting lunch in a cafe. Then having our holiday in Devon cancelled will seem less disappointing. Here's to the new normal!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: June 20, 2020, 04:30:12 AM »
Oh no Christine what a disappointment :(  You'll have to make a return visit.  Perhaps go first thing when they've stocked the shelves.

My Dad was a proper thrifty Yorkshireman.  Sadly it hasn't rubbed off on me!  Your bargains are amazing.  If they'd been any cheaper they would have paid you to take them away :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: June 20, 2020, 04:40:01 AM »
You'd have to fight me for them, Pen!  Am a very hungry bunny today (how unusual!).  Hope this obsession with food isn't going to last much longer or I'll be the size of a house!!  :-H  I think I'll make a silent protest about  >:D by not using him any more.  Perhaps the  :angel: will have to do but I'm not vastly keen on that one, either.  :(
You & me both Linda!  All my trousers are tight now!  I don't even have the excuse of being furloughed & sat at home & eating from boredom.  Quite simply I just love my grub & there isn't a great deal else to get excited about at the moment :laugh:

I agree we send  >:D to Coventry.  We can try the angel but like you he doesn't set my world on fire!  We could be radical & use  :o (very weird looking chap!) or perhaps the rather creepy looking postman  :police:  oops he's a copper :laugh:

I need to look for a few words & then watch either Inspector Barnaby or Morse :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: June 20, 2020, 04:50:06 AM »
Hi Jack

Just a quick pop in & out!

You solved my teaser perfectly & I loved your answer ;)

I enjoyed your puzzle but thought your lady in the last picture was slipping & it took me ages to realise it didn't make any sense & had too many letters ;D

Anyway I finally sussed it out :)  The play is set in Alice Springs & London & the time frame moves between 1959 and 2039. 

Work in the morning but I wish you a very

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: June 20, 2020, 07:57:37 PM »
I went into M n S Kendal last week and raided the yellow label  sale area. One jumper at 79p and 3 more at £1.79 each !!! Oh yes and I get 20% staff discount as my hubby works there! Sorry girls. Oh I love a bargain and my thrifty Yorkshire heritage seems to smell them out!

I thought I was doing well by getting a top for half price but I still paid £7.50 for it!!  I'm hopeless at getting a bargain.  Have a short attention span, I fear, and can't be bothered to seek out them out.  My idea of hell is TK Maxx and Primark.  I want the clothes to be hung up neatly, spaced out and not looking as though hundreds of people have tried them on.  I don't want to have to queue to get in a changing room and don't want to be assaulted by bodily odours!  Other than that, I'm fairly easy going!! (Old demon icon)!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: June 20, 2020, 08:22:56 PM »
Hi Pen,

I’m heading for the longest night this year tonight and tomorrow’s the shortest day.  I guess it is the opposite for you.

While we are looking at movies, this is a classic Australian one

#6-#5  #5

-   

Bonus question: what year was it set in?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 08:25:10 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: June 20, 2020, 08:32:13 PM »
I'm hopeless at getting a bargain.  Have a short attention span, I fear, and can't be bothered to seek out them out.  My idea of hell is TK Maxx and Primark.  I want the clothes to be hung up neatly, spaced out and not looking as though hundreds of people have tried them on.  I don't want to have to queue to get in a changing room and don't want to be assaulted by bodily odours!  Other than that, I'm fairly easy going!! (Old demon icon)!

Bloody Norah Linda I'm exactly the same!  I detest TK Maxx & Primani - like you my idea of hell :laugh: I last about 5 minutes, get bored & then leave empty handed! It's very scary how alike we are :o  Mind you I'm not at all easy going - I'm impatient & a bit grumpy (another old demon icon)!
I have ham, cheese & coleslaw sarnies today.  Not sure how well it'll work with coleslaw rather than salad cream but we shall see.  I watched a Midsomer last night that I hadn't seen for yonks :)  They do have a habit of repeating the same ones over & over & it's a treat to get a different one :)  It was about a race horse called Bantling Boy.
Enjoy your day :)   I can just about see the sun shining through the waiting room window!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: June 20, 2020, 09:18:25 PM »
Hi Pen

We gave Bantling Boy a miss last night and watched Beyond the Grave which we had taped. 

Have you seen Alan's attempt to appease us with the new version of demon?  It's still not right!  Still boycotting it.

Lunch time now - tuna sarnie, I think.  I'm not sure your coleslaw option will be up to the standard of a salad cream option but do report back.  I've got a tub of extra crunchy coleslaw in the fridge but it can go on my chicken salad tonight rather than in my sarnie.  Can't eat just salad so have bought some lovely new potatoes to go with it!

More washing out today - so far, so good.

I'm impatient too!  I have been told I'm a typical Aries, if you believe that sort of stuff.

Have a lovely day.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: June 20, 2020, 09:24:41 PM »
Hi Jack

Spot on!  The exact opposite as you say it's the longest day & shortest night here. 

You posting that puzzle is really funny & spooky.  I spotted that film when I was looking for something else & had planned to use it myself & then didn't for some reason but I can't remember what it was now :laugh:  Anyway the answer to your bonus question is that it's set in 1931.  It sounds very sad so I'm not sure I'd want to watch it.  My viewing in the last few weeks (apart from Morse, Midsomer & Poirot) has included Nine to Five, Johnny English, Paddington & Naked Gun.  I've been watching Agatha Raisin which is enjoyable nonsense.  I've read the books by M C Beaton & the lady in the TV programme is far more glamorous than she is described in the book & her hair is the wrong colour :laugh:  Still you can't have everything :laugh:

I found a joke for you.  It's a bit naff but it tickled me.  I think it might be a bit of a variation on one I've used before ;D   >:D
A guy walks into a New York bar pushing a small suitcase on wheels.
He takes a seat at the bar and then he begins to open the suitcase carefully.
With the suitcase open, he takes out the tiniest piano you’ve ever seen and places it on the bar. The bartender watches him, a little puzzled.
The guy then reaches back into the suitcase and takes out a tiny man. This little man is no taller than ten inches high and the guy then seats him at the tiny piano.
The tiny man then begins to play a piece by Chopin on the piano in a way that is both enchanting and absolutely beautiful.
The bartender walks up the guy and says “Gee, where did you get the tiny pianist? He’s brilliant.“
The guy puts his hand back into his suitcase again and pulls out an old magic lamp, which he then hands to the bartender.
He says to the bartender, “Here, rub this and make a wish.“
The bartender says, “Are you serious?”
The guy says, “Sure, go ahead.”
So the bartender rubs the lamp and says “I wish for a million bucks!“
There is a loud ‘poof’ sound before a million ducks start marching into the bar.
The bartender looks at the man and says, “Buddy, I think your magic lamp is broken.“
The guy looks at him, smiles then says, “Tell me something I don’t know. You don’t really think I asked for a 10 inch pianist do you?“

I'll leave you with a small random assortment.  Lunchtime thank heavens :-H

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 09:27:12 PM by Hobbit »

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: June 20, 2020, 09:43:42 PM »
I have to be in the mood for a TK Maxx visit but the one in Kendal is not too big so I cope .(Got a £6 dress yesterday) Primark however is not really my thing either. If I do venture in I only ever buy basic tops as I don't need to brave the changing room queues and they are usually OK for work purposes.I don't really do the aimless browsing type of shopping - I need a reason. My husband is a strange man as he likes to shop. Mind you that was when we lived in a city . Kendal doesn't present the opportunities he liked and I hate it when he needs to venture to a city or worse still to the Trafford Centre (BIG and BUSY) as all I usually get is aching feet and a big dose of boredom.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: June 20, 2020, 10:06:14 PM »
You're right, Christine.  The Kendal one is just about manageable but the one in Carlisle is dreadful.  My husband likes to shop too!  Strange man.  I nearly lost the will to live one day in the Metro Centre in Newcastle.  V. bad mood as it was hot, crowded and my feet were aching.  Gently browsing around White Stuff is more my cup of coffee! (Old demon)