Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814093 times)

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4185 on: June 14, 2020, 06:15:25 PM »
Before selling houses I spent on and off over ten years selling cars. The small Vauxhall dealership (Holden) that I worked at was often quiet on a Sunday . In the UK the service departments of dealerships are closed on Sundays but we got used to worried customers pulling in to say that the engine check light was on. The most worried ones were the Zafira (a people carrier) drivers as when the light went on the car went into auto safety mode and would only drive at a very low speed.Some of them had spent hours getting to the dealership! Having said that I think my time selling Vauxhalls was one of the most pleasant as buyers were usually sensible and polite folk who wanted a sensible and reliable car so I can see why you have stuck to Holdens. I am sure the Subaru will be just fine and equally good for dogs when you eventually succumb to the patter of paws.
 A bit different when I sold Citroens as the customers could often be a bit eccentric and the cars often had dashboards either  lit up like Xmas trees or black  as night. I had one Citroen Xm model (elderly ,high mileage and I loved her to bits) which require 24 new bulbs fitting in the dash as I couldn't even read the speedo at night!.That car was white and due to the styling I always called her Concorde. One of the said eccentric customers eventually did a private deal with me to buy Concorde. He paid me about 3 or 4 times her value (which frankly was not much above zero!) and set off to France for a long holiday. I got a phone call on his return thanking me for selling him the best car he had ever owned so Concorde had another loving owner for her final years.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: June 14, 2020, 07:29:08 PM »
I’m afraid you’ll have to explain these to me , Pen.

G.K. Chesterton, the extremely rotund novelist, once had tea with George Bernard Shaw, the extremely emaciated playwright. Chesterton teased Shaw, "Heavens, Shaw, you look as if there is a famine in Britain!" To which Shaw replied, "And Chesterton, you look as if you are the cause of it!"

The puzzle is a classic Australian Novel and movie.

#7 5 #4

Bonus points:  Who wrote the novel?
Name 2 actors in the film?

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: June 14, 2020, 07:59:07 PM »
Hi Christine,

You’ve certainly had some interesting jobs.

With cars, I guess we were spoilt.  When we lived in Canberra, our next-door neighbour owned a tuning service.  Often when I came home from work, he would come around and tell me the car was running a bit rough and I better bring it in and get a service and I always got mate’s rates.  Once in the early 90’s when I blew up the Holden engine trying to keep with a Porsche coming back from Melbourne, he dropped a Chevrolet engine in and that was the most fun car I ever owned.   

Holdens gradually changed from being a reliable workhorse to being ordinary and temperamental.  The company knew about the “check engine” problem and never did anything about it except to recommend you spent thousands replacing the computer, which we did the first time it happened.  However, after the problem reoccurred and we realised that the car didn’t have any reduction in performance, we just ignored it.  Our current mechanic advised us the vehicle had got to the stage that it wasn’t worth spending any more money on it and that is when we decided to go looking for a new car.

Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: June 14, 2020, 09:39:57 PM »

The puzzle is a classic Australian Novel and movie.

#7 5 #4

Bonus points:  Who wrote the novel?
Name 2 actors in the film?
[/quote]

Excellent clue; I know the name of the film and one of the actors [Mr P. Bird] but I've no idea about the novel.

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #4189 on: June 14, 2020, 09:57:34 PM »
The author was a fan of Sir Walter Scott, and Scott's poem 'Marmion' inspired part of his pseudonym.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: June 15, 2020, 12:21:33 AM »
How do Cheeky Chops ;D

I roared with laughter at your earlier post about the W.C. :laugh:  Then I've just spent about half an hour trying to solve your puzzle ;D  That was a corker!!  I got hung up on bank rather than robbery but I did finally get there in the end :)  The author is Rolf Boldrewood. 
Two actors who starred in the film are Peter Finch (thanks Mike) & Maureen Swanson.

I'd totally forgotten that Mike & I had already discussed the film in my previous puzzle.  You astound me sometimes how you remember these things :)
My puzzle is also an Australian film.  9# (5/4) 4#

Please name the 2 stars of the film.

I'm continuing your theme with the cartoons.  Perhaps somebody could explain them to us both >:D

I'm not much looking forward to tomorrow.  I've got an eleven & a half hour day to work as our evening receptionist is on hols & we've been instructed that we have to wear masks all day :'(
I shall probably be a basket case by 7.30pm :o

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:30:20 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: June 15, 2020, 01:29:36 AM »
Hi Mike, Rose, and Pen

In the words of young Mr Grace, "You've all done very well!"

Rose, I was interested to read about Tom Brown(e), the man behind the pseudonym.   A remarkably interesting man.

Mike and Pen, you’ve both picked up on the 1957 movie.  Another budding actor in that movie was the man who played Illya Kuryakin in Bob’s your Uncle.

I would have also accepted any of bushranger Captain Starlight (Sam Neill), Ben Marston (Ed Devereaux), and Ben's two adventure-hungry sons (Steven Vidler and Christopher Cummins)as the male leads.

or the females: Liz Newman as Gracey, Jane Menelaus as Aileen, Deborah Coulls as Kate, Susie Lindeman as Jeannie, Elaine Cusick as Mum.

Two versions of this 1985 remake were shot simultaneously – a feature film and a TV mini-series.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: June 15, 2020, 01:32:26 AM »
I'd totally forgotten that Mike & I had already discussed the film in my previous puzzle.  You astound me sometimes how you remember these things :)

Hi Pen,

All I had to remember was that it had been discussed.  The search function told me when and who.

You didn’t answer my question on Tin-Kettling. >:D

Was the answer to your puzzle: Claudia Karvan and Hugh Jackman?

Must get back to bed, but here is a few more to get explained.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: June 15, 2020, 04:37:32 AM »
Hi Jack

I must admit I'd never heard of Tin Kettling.  I meant to look it up but after wrestling with your tricky puzzle I completely forgot!  I did look at the Subaru Forester which does look rather snazzy :)  They do it in a lovely blue not dissimilar to my little Aygo :laugh:

You were, of course, spot on in your answer to my puzzle :)  It was a bit lame compared to yours. 

I got from Hugh Jackman onto Nicole Kidman - no idea how!  I remembered a film I'd seen years ago called Dead Calm.  I have a suspicion that Sam Neil was her husband.  I recall it being one of the scariest films I've ever seen.  That doesn't say much as I'm easily frightened :laugh:

Off to slump in front of the box with Inspector Morse & the last drop of my pink :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 05:46:54 PM by Hobbit »

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: June 15, 2020, 06:04:21 PM »
Hi Jack

I remembered a film I'd seen years ago called Dead Calm.  I have a suspicion that Sam Neil was her husband.  I recall it being one of the scariest films I've ever seen.  That doesn't say much as I'm easily frightened :laugh:

I remember it being a very scary film.
Alfred Hitchcock, who knew a thing or two about unnerving his audience, is quoted as saying 'it's not what you see that scares you; it's what you don't see'
This film has some good examples of that.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: June 15, 2020, 06:13:31 PM »
Glad I remembered correctly Mike.  You (& Alfred Hitchcock!) are right - it's the suggestion & thoughts planted in your mind.  I can't do "slasher", blood & guts films.  I tried to watch Final Destination once & ended up with my eyes closed through most of it :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: June 15, 2020, 07:53:43 PM »
Hi Jack

I'm a bit hot & grumpy at the moment :(  Thought I'd distract myself with a puzzle for you!

It's another Australian film.  9# 5# 2# 3# 6#  Real first name of lady in 1st picture.  Remove 1 letter from the last picture >:D
of
For your bonus can you please say what the connection is with this film

After his return from Rome, Will couldn't find his luggage in the London Gatwick airport baggage area.  So he went to the lost luggage office and told the woman there that his bags hadn't shown up on the carousel.  She smiled and told him not to worry because they were trained professionals and he was in good hands.'Now', she asked Will, 'has your plane arrived yet?'

Roll on lunchtime!  Egg & tomato today Linda :-H  Not a cornish pasty or something scrummy from your bakery. Very jealous.  If you fancy a job swap for a couple of days please let me know :laugh:

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: June 15, 2020, 10:01:47 PM »
Carrot and coriander soup and grainy toast today, Pen.  Would rather be having your egg and tomato sarnie though!

Will pass on the job swap if you don't mind!  Luckily I don't have to wear a mask - v. hot, I would imagine, especially on such a humid day as today!  I would, however, swap the two old farmers who came to the office door this morning trying to gain access and then getting more than a little miffed when I wouldn't let them in.  They are a law unto themselves and they smelt very 'farmy'!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: June 15, 2020, 10:53:23 PM »
Soup sounds lovely Linda!  Definitely don't much fancy your farmy farmers much! Though I might consider swapping them for a five year old fracture clinic patient this morning.  He had the loudest, most piercing scream I've heard in all the 17 years I've worked here!!  The mask is a killer - very hot & claustrophobic :(  It also seems to affect my hearing which probably sounds totally ridiculous! Though that might be down to the fact that the people I'm talking to are also wearing masks :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: June 15, 2020, 11:38:39 PM »
I'm a bit hot & grumpy at the moment :(  Thought I'd distract myself with a puzzle for you!

It's OK to be hot, Pen, many women would be envious  >:D, but not grumpy.  I know you're short but surely not so short. :D

Your puzzle is a great coincidence.  I had chosen it as my last puzzle when I gave it away because I couldn't think of a way of presenting the first and last words.  very clever clues, Pen.

You've got me stumped with your bonus question.  I can't think of any connection with Far from the Madding Crowd.  I'll have another look in the morning when I'm not half asleep. In the meantime, any friends that would like to help out, please feel free.

Our clothes drier packed it in the other day and the repairman who came today said it would  cost almost as much to fix as to buy a new one.  Don't mention the Bosch  ;D.  Anyway after spending the afternoon trying to get a bargain, we eventually bought another  Bosch.

I needed a nerve calmer when we got home and finished up going to bed early.  Funny! I don't feel healthy, wealthy or wise.

However, I know you have a long day so I will try to leave on a lighter note.

Regards, Jack