Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814629 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4140 on: June 04, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »
G'day Jack

Pleased we're still friends in spite of my IT incompetence ;)
Keep meaning to ask if anything's happened about the house?  I've had my fingers & toes crossed but they've gone a bit numb now!!

Your puzzle has me a bit flummoxed!  I thought to start with it must be St George's Hospital in London which is very famous but that doesn't fit the pattern.  Also the man with the gun is not Roger Moore! St George's is in Tooting.
Never trust everything a travel guide tells you, we’ve learned. But that doesn’t mean we think Lonely Planet got it wrong when they named one south London suburb as one of their coolest places on Earth.
The honour went to Tooting: land of the “curry mile”, the UK’s largest swimming pool, Sadiq Khan, a fancy bingo hall, the medics of St George’s Hospital, Europe’s largest Chicken Cottage, and — as nostalgics are fond of mentioning — an old BBC sitcom named Citizen Smith.

Anyway I digress & I'll come back to that!

My puzzle is an Australian building.  2 words 6# 5#.  It's a bit cryptic but I think (hope!) it's really easy!

For your bonus can you please say where the building is located & how it got it's name.

Thought you might like a couple of Dad jokes as we haven't had any for a while ;D
I went for a drive yesterday.  On the way I passed Nicholas Parsons, Nicholas Cage & Nicholas Witchell.
I took the see Nick route!

Why did the cows return to the marijuana field?  It was the pot calling the cattle back!

And the Lord said unto John: ‘Come forth and you will receive eternal life’. But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

I'm going to apply myself to solving your tricky puzzle...

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: June 04, 2020, 08:45:01 PM »
I'm back Jack & I've put my back into sorting this puzzle!  (actually I consulted Ms Google but we'll gloss over that :laugh:)

Does these picture provide the solution?
wrote   

The hospital is located in Nuneaton.  It is well known as the birthplace of the above mentioned author & also where Dragonman aka Gareth lives :)

Almost lunchtime hurrah :-H  cheese & tomato sarnies yummy!
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: June 04, 2020, 09:08:44 PM »
Absolutely brilliant Pen and what a coincidence that Gareth comes from there.

I think your building is in Southbank, Melbourne and if Lemonade was named after lemons it would have been named after Stock. That's if I have found it.  Is that cryptic enough? >:D

There are some encouraging signs with the house but we are not counting chickens.  It has been a fraught day so that is all for tonight.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: June 04, 2020, 11:08:46 PM »
Perfect Jack - very cryptic & a little devious >:D

Sorry you had a bit of a day of it.  I hope tomorrow brings better things :)
Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: June 05, 2020, 05:15:23 PM »
Hi Pen,

I loved your middlemarch.

THE SCENE:  Blue is now getting drunk in the pub and runs out of money.  Blue does not feel like going home and he hassles the publican for another drink.

BLUE: 'Com'on Robbo, givuzzanaddabeerwillya? I'll pay you next week.....'

ROBBIE, THE PUBLICAN: 'See that building across the road, Blue?'

BLUE:'Yeah...'

ROBBIE: 'Well, that is the Bank of Bowral, and I got a deal with them.'

BLUE: 'Deal? Wot deal?'

ROBBIE: ‘Well, Blue, they don't sell beer, and I don't lend money.'

Something different.  What is this woman’s occupation?  .

7#3&4   #6

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: June 06, 2020, 12:27:04 AM »
Hi Jack

Loved your cartoons!  Can't help but feel a bit sorry for poor Blue - he never has much luck :laugh:

I enjoyed your different puzzle for a change :)  Is it possible the lady in question might be known as

Previously seen at many fairgrounds in the UK >:D

My simple little puzzle is an old occupation. 9#

I'm going back to wrestling with today's Smellygraph crossword!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: June 06, 2020, 02:54:00 AM »
Hi Pen,

I am not convinced that you have got the right profession.  Quite a few practitioners of the profession I was looking for may have been Romani, but I think the profession you were suggesting was Stripper which is not right.

I think I might have the answer to your puzzle.  Would it be the same as the name of a character who is open all hours?

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: June 06, 2020, 04:45:57 AM »
Bang on Jack :)

I feel a bit of a twit now :-[  I thought the ladies who sat in a tent at the fair with a crystal ball were often known as Gypsy Rose Lee!
Whoops! What a plum!!
Oh well can't win 'em all :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: June 07, 2020, 01:00:20 AM »
Hi Pen,

Speaking of crystal balls,

Something different - what connects these five pictures:

#4  ##5  #4  #4  #5

Bonus Points:  What date did you say in your answer?

Gotta
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: June 07, 2020, 01:52:56 AM »
I believe this is one of Peter Fitzsimons' best columns

particularly the sections "As America burns, lawn order prevails Down Under" and the joke of the week isn't bad.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: June 07, 2020, 02:10:55 AM »
Hi Jack

We've just had the most enormous thunderstorm!  Thunder, lightning very very frightening & hail stones like marbles!  It still rumbling about but hopefully on it's way now.  Weathermen are useless :laugh:

Anyway to the matter in hand.  First I loved your cartoons & your puzzle was brilliant - very clever.  It took me a while to sort it out but my answer to the bonus question is 6th June 1944.

My puzzle (courtesy of Zoe) is an animal 4#-6# 5#  The last picture is a homophone!

For your bonus please say where you would find these animals.

A distinguished young woman on a flight from Switzerland asked the Priest beside her, "Father, may I ask a favour?" "Of course. What may I do for you?"
"Well, I bought an expensive woman's electronic hair dryer for my mother's birthday. The dryer is unopened and well over the Customs limits; and I'm afraid they'll confiscate it.
Is there any way you could carry it through Customs for me? Under your robes perhaps?"
"I would love to help you, dear, but I must warn you: I will not lie."
"With your honest face, Father, no one will question you."
When they reached the Customs area, she let the priest go ahead of her.
The official asked: "Father, do you have anything to declare?"
"From the top of my head down to my waist, I have nothing to declare."
The official thought this answer strange, so asked, "And what do you have to declare from your waist to the floor?"
"I have a marvelous instrument designed to be used on a woman, but which is, to date, unused."
Roaring with laughter, the official said, "Go ahead, Father."

I'll leave you with this silly joke & I'm off for a rootle about in the fridge to see what I can find :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: June 07, 2020, 02:18:47 AM »
I believe this is one of Peter Fitzsimons' best columns

particularly the sections "As America burns, lawn order prevails Down Under" and the joke of the week isn't bad.

I enjoyed the column & the joke Jack :)  In my paper today Trump is quoted as saying that the bible is his favourite book :-R

Must sort some grub :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: June 07, 2020, 11:28:45 PM »
Hi Pen,

“Thunder, lightning very very frightening”  Very poetic. The weather doesn’t seem to suit either of us at the moment .

I believe the cuties that are the answer to your puzzle are found in the zoo.

Only kidding. :D

They are only found in the southern part of Madagascar in the dry forest and bush, they are a large, vocal primate with brownish-gray fur and a distinctive tail with alternating black and white rings.

Male and female are similar physically. They are roughly the same size, measuring about 42.5 cm (1.4 ft.) from head to rump and weighing roughly 2.25 kg (5 lb.).

Highly social creatures, they live in groups averaging 17 members. Their society is female-dominant, and a group will often contain multiple breeding females. Females reproduce starting at 3 years of age, generally giving birth to one baby a year.

When born, a baby weighs less than 100 g (3 oz.). The newborn is carried on its mother’s chest for 1-2 weeks and then is carried on her back. At 2 weeks, the baby starts eating solid food and begins venturing out on its own. But the juvenile is not fully weaned until 5 months of age.

Although they are capable climbers, they spend a third of their time on the ground foraging for food. They range far to find leaves, flowers, bark, sap, and small invertebrates to eat. When the lemurs travel over ground, they keep their tails in the air to ensure everyone in the group is in sight and stay together.

Aside from using visual cues, they also communicate via scent and vocalisations. They mark their territory by scent. A male will also engage in stink fights during mating seasons, wiping his tail with the scent glands on his wrists and waving it at another male while staring menacingly.  Eventually one male will back down and run away.

Vocally, they have several different alarms calls that alert members to danger. They have several predators, including fossas (mammals related to the mongoose), Madagascar Harrier-hawks, Madagascar buzzards, Madagascar ground boas, civets, and domestic cats and dogs.

Apart from that I know nothing about them.  ;)

Now to the topic Of the day.

Should We Open Up The Country?

Here's what the experts said:

The Allergists were in favor of scratching it, but the
Dermatologists advised not to make any rash moves.
The Gastroenterologists had sort of a gut feeling about it, but
the Neurologists thought the Administration had a lot of nerve. 
Meanwhile, Obstetricians felt certain everyone was laboring under a misconception, while
the Ophthalmologists considered the idea shortsighted.
Many Pathologists yelled, "Over my dead body!"
While the Paediatricians said, "Oh, grow up!”
Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness, while the
Radiologists could see right through it. 
The Hospital Receptionists wished every body would stay at home.
Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing and the
Internists claimed it would indeed be a bitter pill to swallow.
The Plastic Surgeons opined that this proposal would "put a whole new face on the matter.”
The Podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but
the Urologists were pissed off at the whole idea.   
Anaesthesiologists thought the whole idea was a gas, and those lofty
Cardiologists didn’t have the heart to say no. 
In the end, the Proctologists won out, leaving the entire decision up to the arseholes in Canberra/London/Washington.

Now for some shut-eye.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:34:48 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: June 08, 2020, 01:57:51 AM »
Hi Jack

I looked at your weather forecast & it doesn't look very inspiring :(  It's cold & drizzly here.  So much for flaming June!  I think we've already had our Summer.

11/10 for your answer to the bonus question.  They are very cute I have to say :)  This is guaranteed to drive you bonkers >:D
Madagascar

I'll leave you with a small random assortment.  Can't believe it's nearly Monday again already :(  Wonder what this week will be like.  We seem to be having more appointments booked.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: June 08, 2020, 06:59:15 PM »

Hi Jack
Back at the coalface & hunting about for a little enthusiasm.  We have a full list of appointments so I'm wondering how the day's going to pan out.  I've booked an antibody test for Wednesday. 
I've checked both our weather forecasts & they are surprisingly similar :laugh:

Why don’t cats play poker in the jungle?
Too many cheetahs
What do you call a sleepwalking nun?
A roamin’ Catholic
What do you get when you throw a piano down a mine shaft?
A flat miner
I went bobsleighing the other day
And I managed to kill 250 bobs

Fracture clinic this afternoon.  I'll see if I can come up with a puzzle before then :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:21:21 PM by Hobbit »