Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814627 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4125 on: June 02, 2020, 04:34:46 AM »
Spot on of course Jack :)
I'm still trying to decide if I like your first guess- the Brett Whiteley painting.  I'm not overly excited by abstract art but that one does have a certain

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: June 02, 2020, 06:11:51 AM »
“I’m not into je ne sais quoi but am all for gin ne sais quoi and wine ne sais quoi”. -  Weir Doh

I am a Philistine when it comes to art. I don’t appreciate either painting but like the Lowry best.

Love the sign off.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:49:26 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: June 02, 2020, 06:02:42 PM »
Oh Jack that made me properly chuckle :laugh:  Especially gin ne sais quoi!

Like you I'm a Philistine when it comes to art. I like paintings to look like what they're meant to be if that makes any sense!  I have a print of this on my bedroom wall

Since going to Giverny last year I love it even more :)

A busy day with many appointments so that's me for now.  I'm crowd control so I wont be at my computer much today.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: June 02, 2020, 09:50:03 PM »
Of course I have!!  Tucking into a meat and potato pie as we speak!! Naughty but nice!

Work is strange as I am absolutely the only person in the office, the phones are quiet and no clients allowed through the door!  If it wasn't for a load of dictation to do, I might have a kip this afternoon!!

Loving your Monet - I have a similar version to this in my sitting room!!  At least it looks like the same sort of path but mine is a darker version and pictures women sat under trees.  I also recently bought a Lowry canvas as a gift - print, of course.  Not the same as the one shown above but of a Northern market town.  I'm more of an Impressionist girl, myself!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: June 03, 2020, 02:08:29 AM »
Hi Linda. Just got in & enjoying a cuppa - builders of course. I'm a bit hot & bothered! Funny old day directing patients about. Opposite of yours! Not quiet at all. Glad you enjoyed a meat & potato pie :-H  Monet did several versions of that path to the front door. Do love it. It's your last day in the office tomorrow til next week so not so bad. Thinking about tea now :-H Probably salad! Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: June 03, 2020, 02:29:26 AM »
Hi Pen,

A quickie tonight.  I got distracted yesterday trying to teach myself the Python Programming Language.

As we and Linda have been discussing art, the puzzle tonight is to name the Australian art movement of the late 19th century. It has latterly been described as Australian impressionism.

Quote from: Wikipedia (edited)
Melbourne art critic Sidney Dickinson coined the term in an 1891 review of works by Arthur Streeton and Walter Withers, two local artists who painted en plein air in the suburb on the city's rural outskirts. The term has since evolved to cover painters who worked together at "artists' camps" around Melbourne and Sydney in the 1880s and 1890s. Drawing on naturalist and impressionist ideas, they sought to capture Australian life, the bush, and the harsh sunlight that typifies the country.

The movement emerged at a time of strong nationalist sentiment in Australia, then a group of colonies on the cusp of federating. The artists' paintings, not unlike the bush poems of the Bulletin School, were celebrated for being distinctly Australian in character, and by the early 20th century, critics had come to identify the movement as the beginning of an Australian tradition in Western art.

3  10#3&3&4  #6

The        

Bonus Point:  Along with Streeton and Withers, name others who are considered key figures of the movement.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:35:37 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: June 03, 2020, 05:01:06 AM »
Hi Jack

Just a flying visit this evening.  I'm a bit knacked & overheated :-Y

I'm tempted to ask what is the Python Programming Language?  Anything to do with snake charming? >:D

Smashing cartoons & I enjoyed your puzzle :) It took a bit of head scratching but I got there in the end.  Had to check with Ms Google that I'd got it right! I was wondering why an Australian art movement was named after a place in Germany! When I read Wikipedia I realised that this was also a place on the outskirts of Melbourne :)
Other artists who were part of this movement were Tom Roberts, Frederick McCubbin & Charles Conder.

No puzzle from me today - I'll be back with a vengeance tomorrow :laugh:
I'll leave you with a small assortment.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 05:12:18 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: June 03, 2020, 05:28:15 PM »
Hi Pen,

Not a snake charmer in sight

Did you notice your bridge ladies were all wearing high heels?  That tickled me.

I have been diagnosed with Cenosillicaphobia, Pen.  Luckily it’s not terminal but it is damned inconvenient if not treated regularly.

Full marks on the puzzle.

BLUE (reading the newspaper):  Oh dear.  One of our neighbours has died.
SHEILA: Who? Ray?
BLUE: I don’t think cheering is appropriate.

WHEN INSULTS HAD CLASS...

These insults are from an era “ before” the English language got boiled down to 4-letter words.

An MP to Disraeli: Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease.

Disraeli: That depends, Sir, whether I embrace your policies or your mistress.

He had delusions of adequacy. -Walter Kerr

I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure. - Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. - Mark Twain

He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends. - Oscar Wilde

He is a self-made man and worships his creator. - John Bright

He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up. - Paul Keating

His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork. - Mae West

He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts... for support rather than illumination. - Andrew Lang

He has Van Gogh's ear for music. - Billy Wilder

I think I will have to sleep on a new puzzle.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: June 03, 2020, 08:56:53 PM »
Hi Jack

Back in my usual spot today.  It's noticeably busier this week.  It's a bit of a challenge now & again manoeuvering the patients so they're not too near each other.  We can only accommodate up to 8 patients at any one time in our waiting room.

I have to say you're on top form today in spite of your recent diagnosis >:D  Your post was 11/10 excellent.  Cheered me up & made me laugh out loud.

I have to admit I hadn't noticed that my bridge ladies were wearing high heels  - tickled me too.

The insults were brilliant & cracked me up.
I found a few of Churchill's but they're not as funny as yours!

“Tell him I can only deal with one s*** at a time” Winston on being disturbed in his toilet by a call from the Lord Privy Seal.

“A modest man, who has much to be modest about.” On Clement Attlee

“They are not fit to manage a whelk stall.” On the Labour Party

“An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile hoping it will eat him last.” On Neville Chamberlain

Lady Astor to Churchill: “Winston, if you were my husband I would flavour your coffee with poison”
Churchill: “Madam, if I were your husband, I should drink it.”

That's given me an idea for a puzzle.  8# 7#.  It's a famous building in England.  You'll need to dig out your Boys Own spot the aircraft book (if you haven't thrown it away :laugh:).  2nd word of 2nd picture.

For your bonus can you please name the location of the building & the architect.  Why did it pop into my head?

Nearly lunchtime :)  Corned beef & coleslaw for me Linda :-H  Funny combination but the coleslaw's out of date today & I didn't want to waste it!  It does work ok though :)

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: June 03, 2020, 10:04:37 PM »
Spoiler Alert..Puzzle Answer

Its Blenheim Palace and the designer was Sir John Vanburgh, its located near Woodstock in Oxfordshire.
Its the seat of The Duke of Marlbororugh, birthplace of Winston Churchil.
Last year it had a solid gold toilet stolen, worth about £5 million

The ground rent for the palace , paid to the Monarch, is a French flag, paid on !3th of August to commemorate the Battle of Blenheim (1704)
 A wonderful place to visit, ben there may times.

BTW, the aircraft is a Blenheim Bomber from WW2.

Regards
Gareth

Its the seat of the earl of

You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: June 03, 2020, 11:35:26 PM »
Spot on Gareth.  I'd totally forgotten about the solid gold loo that was pinched!  Did they ever get it back I wonder. 

Sorry Jack I meant to say that your Python thingy didn't float my boat or set my world on fire  - even with the Youtube clip :laugh:
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: June 03, 2020, 11:39:00 PM »

I also recently bought a Lowry canvas as a gift - print, of course.  Not the same as the one shown above but of a Northern market town.

It might have been the real thing & you could be an eccentric millionaire  >:D
I meant to say that yesterday but I was tired & hot & forgot :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: June 04, 2020, 12:24:36 AM »
Sorry Jack I meant to say that your Python thingy didn't float my boat or set my world on fire  - even with the YouTube clip :laugh:

You disappoint me, Pen.  I had visions of you becoming a professional  programmer and designing web pages for me. >:D
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: June 04, 2020, 01:18:26 AM »

Sorry to be a disappointment Jack - hope it wont mean the end of a beautiful friendship :laugh:

Home time in 20 minutes hopefully.  In dire need of a cuppa!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: June 04, 2020, 07:24:38 AM »
Hi Pen,

It would take more than that to end a beautiful friendship. :D

Congratulations to Gareth.

A quick puzzle for you when you get to work.  It is a medical establishment within 60 miles of you.

#6  #5  8#3&5

Hint: the first actor’s name, the other two actors' role.

Bonus question: Where is it located?  What is this area known for?
Regards, Jack