Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814648 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4095 on: May 28, 2020, 06:38:23 PM »
Hi Pen,

You are going to be disappointed by my big day, Pen.

It was just three events each of which would have been unremarkable if they hadn’t occurred on the same day.  Since the COVID, we now do a big shopping once a week on Thursday rather than shopping as we need it.  It takes about two hours,  I have mentioned before that it is about two hours work to clean and arrange the area we have been living in to look like the photographs when the house is to be shown, which it was this afternoon.  It is about two hours drive to Canberra.  Guess what?  Greetings from Canberra.

When I was your age, Pen, this would have been no effort.  Now it is a bit taxing, particularly if I don’t get a good night’s sleep.
Recent posts have suggested what the theme of the post should be.

The object of the puzzle today was a painting which was so expensive that it needed approval of the Prime Minister of the day before the National Gallery could purchase it.

#4  #5

Hint:  first Picture – the breed is relevant.

Bonus Questions:

Who was the artist?

Demonstrate it was a good purchase?

My goose (aka sausage) is cooked

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: May 29, 2020, 12:16:27 AM »
Hi Jack

Not at all disappointed - at least you get to visit Andrew so not all bad :)  I'm off work today to make up for working Bank Holiday Monday.  I've done a little shopping & light housework & enjoyed a lovely walk with an old friend.  We walked this morning before it got too hot.  The weather we're having is unbelievable for May!

Your puzzle has me totally stumped :)  Was it my prime minister or yours that had to approve the purchase of the painting? It doesn't have to be either I suppose.  Not that I think that'll help me.  I'm obviously far too relaxed for my own good :laugh:

My puzzle is a painting is by a British artist.  1# 6# 5#
A
For your bonus can you please name the artist & when he painted this picture.

I'll leave you with a couple of silly jokes ;D
Studies have shown that cows produce more milk when the farmer talks to them...  It's a case of in one ear & out the udder!
Just told my suitcases we're not going on holiday this year.  It didn't go down very well...got a lot of emotional baggage to deal with now!
A lorry containing ballroom dance costumes has just overturned on the M6... Police are advising drivers to go slow, slow, quick, quick, slow!

On that note I'll love you & leave you.  Going to treat myself to a read of my book & a small snooze :-Y

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: May 29, 2020, 12:23:46 AM »

Never seen 'The Hay Wain' 'live' as it were - the nearest I've come was a 2000 piece jigsaw I used to have. Wonderful picture, though.

But for sheer size - Rembrandt's 'Night Watch' takes some beating.
'
Crikey Mike that's a huge jigsaw!  I can just about manage a 1000 pieces!  I remember sitting on a bench in front of it at the National Gallery for ages.  So much to look at.  I haven't seen Night Watch 'live' but looking at the size on Ms Google that really is ginormous :o

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: May 29, 2020, 01:32:41 AM »
Hi Pen

The PM was Gough Whitlam.

I haven’t got a clue about yours. I thought it was going to be “A Bigger Splash 1967” by David Hockney but that doesn’t fit the word count.

Must get back to  :-Z
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: May 29, 2020, 04:56:18 AM »
Sorry Jack I'd better get my hair shirt back out & then find a large hole to climb into :-[ :-[
I can't count the number of letters in splash & you are of course quite correct that this was the answer.

After a fair amount of assistance from Ms Google I discovered that the artist in question in your puzzle was Jackson Pollock.  As far as I can work out it's worth considerably more now than when it was bought.  The Australian Government paid $A1.3 million for it & it's now worth in excess of $A 11 million.  Having looked at a picture of the painting I would prefer to have the money or a Monet :laugh:

Off to clap with my neighbours :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: May 29, 2020, 03:35:25 PM »
I can't count the number of letters in splash

Off to clap with my neighbours :)

Don't worry, Pen, it happens to us all from time to time but it can mean that the people on the receiving end can waste their time.

I am completely lost on what you mean with that last sentence.  Must be an English idiom I have not come across.

I thought you might want to know what Blue looks like.  So here is a photo of Blue and one of his best mate, Willy.

I think it is only fair that I should introduce you to some Australian painters.  We’ll start off with an easy one.

3  7#2&2&3

The   

Bonus Questions: 

What is the name of the artist?
What is unusual about the painting?
Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #4101 on: May 29, 2020, 08:11:36 PM »
Jack, I think Pen is referring to the nightly ritual of everyone going outside at 8pm to clap or generally make noise to thank the NHS workers for their work during the continuing pandemic.

My friend in Harrogate rings an old brass school bell I gave her when I was closing down my parents' house after my mother died in 2001.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: May 29, 2020, 08:37:04 PM »
Hi Rose,

That makes sense and is highly commendable.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:47:47 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: May 29, 2020, 08:54:25 PM »
Every Thursday evening at 8 pm - last night was the last clap night.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: May 29, 2020, 09:24:39 PM »
Spot on Linda.  When are you back at the coalface? Think you said next week some time?
I've got salmon & tomato sarnie for lunch.  Had a Melton Mowbray pork pie salad last night.  It was very good but I forgot to get any cucumber when shopping hence salmon & tomato today.  Need to get some eggs from somewhere for egg & tomato sarnies.  They seem a bit hit & miss in the shops round here.
After you mentioned pasties the other day I'm having cornish pasty, beans & mash later. Yummy :-H
I'll be back to address your puzzle when I've scoffed my lunch Jack :)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: May 29, 2020, 10:48:08 PM »
Back on Monday for three days in a row!!  Only doing this for three weeks and then swapping with a colleague who is still on furlough.

Cornish pasty, beans and mash sounds like heaven!  Jealous!

Had scrambled eggs again today for lunch - eggs weren't very tasty though.  :(

I think we may have stumbled upon a difference in our likes, Pen.  Cucumber!!  Absolutely detestable!  Same goes for melon.  Melton Mowbray pork pie salad - wonderful and all the better for missing off the cucumber, in my opinion!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: May 29, 2020, 10:58:41 PM »
That's not too bad then. Least it's only for a short time.  It's probably going to feel a bit strange getting up & going to work on Monday morning.  I was trying to work out how long the lock downs been going on.  Must be about 10 weeks by now.
I'm not a huge fan of cucumber which was probably why I didn't buy any!  I can take or leave it & it has to be peeled & it still repeats :(
Shame your scrambled eggs were a bit disappointing.  Try something different tomorrow :)
I am very much looking forward to my pasty later :-H

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: May 29, 2020, 11:52:17 PM »
Hi Jack

How's it going in Canberra?  We're still roasting here in Milton Keynes.  I met my friend Barbara in the park this morning for a walk.  We thought it would be cooler in the morning but after an hour we were definitely glowing :laugh:

A really great assortment of cartoons :)  Love the pictures of Blue & Willy.  Really tickled me :laugh:
Stumped with your puzzle.  I thought it might be The Listener but realised that has too many letters!  Then I wondered if one of your pictures has vanished.  Anyway I'm throwing the towel in & waiting for a hint please :)

My puzzle is an English artist & one of his paintings. 6# 6#. First name of gent.  13# (7/6)

Just an excuse to use another picture of Mr Clooney >:D  Nothing to do with him it's what he's wearing!

I'm going to slump on the sofa with my book & a cup of builders :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:57:05 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: May 30, 2020, 03:10:38 AM »
How's it going in Canberra?  We're still roasting here in Milton Keynes.

Hi Pen

It’s 200C where I am. Under the blankets and the heater working hard. It’s zero outside.

Your artist is named George and his descendants are known for their barbecue sauces. The subject in about 1732 was the Marquis of Rockingham’s racehorse.

Hint to my puzzle. The middle bit is the relationship of the two pictures to each other. Then say the three bits quickly. I told you it was easy.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: May 30, 2020, 03:35:47 AM »
I couldn’t get back to sleep until I worked out this limerick.

There was once a Marquis of Rockingham
Whose racehorse was always mocking im
Because he thought it a great joke
That the Marquis was always broke
And he would have to end up hocking im
Regards, Jack