Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814263 times)

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4050 on: May 23, 2020, 01:25:26 AM »
Must have pressed the post button twice!  Too busy thinking about food!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: May 23, 2020, 01:29:46 AM »
I'm back Jack - looking like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards :laugh:

I agree with Moyra about the room though I do have reservations about all those cushions :laugh:

I thought your posts were very excellent.  Great cartoons (especially the radiography ones) & a very tricky puzzle.  I did get there in the end but it took me quite a while!
The UK Government attempted to ban the publication of the memoir in Australia & the author was represented in court by Malcolm Turnbull who later became PM.

My simple puzzle is a book that was made into a film. 4#3#5
the
For the bonus please say who wrote the novel & when was the film released.

I found this story in my paper which made me smile.  I've had an unholy job posting a link!
Dolphin

I'll leave you with a small random selection.

Good Luck with the open house tomorrow.  Hope it goes brilliantly.  Let us know when you get chance.

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: May 23, 2020, 01:39:19 AM »
Got the heating on now!  Chicken, new potatoes, sweetheart cabbage, green beans and gravy for tea!!  Yum!

That sounds very yummy!  Am jealous & hungry now :-H  Pasta for me.  Nowhere near as exciting :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: May 23, 2020, 01:52:56 AM »
I'd love to have a cuppa with you and June in Redlands one day.

That's something to look forward to, Moyra.  I hope its not too far away.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: May 23, 2020, 02:14:10 AM »
For the bonus please say who wrote the novel & when was the film released.

Spot on with my puzzle.

I think your author is Jim, son of Pat.  The film was released two years after the book was published.

Loved the Dolphin story - Only in Queensland.

Liked the cartoons - particularly the pincushion and toilet seat.

Must get back to sleep.  We have been living in one bedroom, en-suite, and kitchen and half a living room.  Even so, there is a bit of work to get it back to look like the photos for those areas.  The house is set up to look good not for everyday living.  One car has to live outside as half the garage is stacked with our furniture.  Luckily it was not hail damaged.  However, if it works, I am all for it.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: May 23, 2020, 08:22:26 PM »
Hi Pen,

A mixed Bag:(read the little girls answer out loud)

It was a miserable cold rainy day for the open house.  We were half expecting nobody would turn up.  As it was, 16 people turned up and 2 seemed interested. The Estate agents will follow them up next week.  An other open house is scheduled for next Saturday morning.  So it is fingers crossed and hope.

This is the sun room on a day when there was sun

That's it for me tonight.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: May 24, 2020, 02:40:10 AM »
Hi Jack

Pleased you had a good turn out for your open house.  Do hope that somebody makes an offer & it's all systems go.  The sun room is gorgeous & has considerably less cushions :laugh:  Your home is beautiful - very light & spacious.  Will you be looking for something similar?  Bet you can't wait to move to warmer climes :)

The day seems to have run away with me today so my post is just like me short & beautifully formed >:D :laugh:

Your cartoons really tickled me :laugh:

I have a new laptop which I haven't quite got to grips with yet!!  I can't seem to copy & paste any of my chosen cartoons at the minute.   I have Windows 10 now instead of 7 so maybe that's part of the problem.  Although we do have 10 at work. Goodness only knows!  Need some technical assistance I think.

Off to the kitchen to see what's there :-H  Here's hoping for better luck tomorrow.

Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: May 24, 2020, 05:04:06 PM »
Your home is beautiful - very light & spacious.  Will you be looking for something similar?

I have a new laptop which I haven't quite got to grips with yet!!

Hi Pen,

My post is just like me, average and well padded.  ;)

We have been very satisfied with the house and wouldn't be considering moving if it wasn't for the weather and the desire to be closer to family.  The house is reasonably spacious but don't underestimate the staging and styling and clever photography.  Our lounge furniture in the garage is more comfortable than that in the photo but it is dark brown, velvety and takes up more room than the agent’s furniture and its style is probably dated. 

I have learned a lot from the agents about preparing a house for selling.  Their first lesson was to declutter.  Anything that does not add to the minimal image they are presenting is put out of sight.  The furniture is arranged to project the image of spaciousness.   Apparently, the psychology is to remove our personality from the house so that it will appeal to the widest variety of prospective owners.  So all photographs, pictures which reflect our taste, calendars, fridge magnets etc. are removed.  Only two pictures remain, and they are prints by very well-known artists.  The kitchen is a prime example – normally appliances and handy every-day items such as a toaster, tea towels on a rack, breadboard, spice racks, etc would be on the bench.  Only the Coffee Machine and the Electric Jug were allowed as well as their bowl of oranges and cake plate

The only room allowed to have a personality was this one which they set up as a nursery

I guess we will be looking for a house with many of the same features in Brisbane but with more of a focus on outdoor living.

Now, tell me about your new laptop.  What was the motivation for getting a new one?  Apart from the operating system, does it have different software?

The Puzzle today is a Lee Child Novel.  The bonus question is not who is the hero - It's always Jack Reacher.

3  9#6&3  #8

Hint: The clues in the second word is how it sounds.  The numbers in the answer is how it is spelt.

The  

Bonus question:  To which unit of the British Army do the two coppers belong?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 05:07:20 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: May 24, 2020, 06:09:53 PM »
Hi Jack, As I wrote in a previous post , I have experience in selling new houses. The show homes tend to reflect aspirational living styles but many viewers were distracted by the presentation. On the other hand if you took them into an empty house they would start to say things like "you can't get a bed in that room" even if you were showing them exactly the same house type as the show home which clearly did have a bed in it! The approach taken by your style team seems to bridge that divide nicely. Having moved house a few times myself it would be better if the UK market did something similar as I have seen some horrors in my time. Even the Estate Agents pictures can be terrible and my favourite horror is the bathroom shot with the loo seat still up!!!! I have always tried to declutter and neutralize my house when selling and in particular remove as much evidence of dogs as possible particularly when I had two very large ones. Good luck with selling and buying. Christine.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: May 24, 2020, 09:15:18 PM »
Hi Jack

You do yourself a great disservice!  You may well be well padded but you are certainly way above average in many different ways :)

I can't remember if I mentioned about 3 weeks ago I cooked up a new TV deal with BT.  For an extra 2p a month I got a good package with a new box, hub & it was all singing & dancing.  Win/win as I thought.  Once the new hub was connected my internet began moving at the speed of an arthritic snail :(  It was taking me about 10/15 minutes to log into Chi.  So after struggling along with it I finally rang BT.  Thanks for the lovely new package says I but did you have to downgrade my broadband to tortoise speed?  The lady says your broadband is exactly the same - super quick Infinity.  I'll put you through to the tech folks.  Tech lady asks if my laptop is very old.  Me - about 7/8 years.  Tech lady says that my old laptop can't cope with the speed of the broadband coming from the new hub!!  Oh dear :(  Thanks says I & rang off with my tail between my legs :laugh:  Zoe ordered me a cheap laptop which I collected on Friday from Sainsburys.  It doesn't have a lot of storage space but that's not a problem for me.  At least the net's whizzing along :)  I've downloaded chrome & hoping that will solve my copy/pasting problems.  Fingers crossed & we'll see.  I don't know the answer to your software question sorry.

Your kitchen is amazing.  I'm very jealous :laugh:  You could probably fit 4 of mine into yours!  I wonder why you're only allowed a coffee maker, kettle, cake stand (weird!) & a bowl of oranges on show. A trick here apparently is to have bread baking & coffee brewing as the smells are meant to be enticing to prospective buyers.  Christine will no doubt say if that's a myth.  Anyway the most important thing is if the house sells nice & quickly.

Loved your tech cartoons - very funny :laugh:  Your puzzle puzzled me for a while but I got there in the end. Does this answer the bonus question?

I've gone back to my old friend Robert Goddard for my puzzle.  #6 #2 #3 #5 lose the first letter of 2nd picture. I've tried to make it a little tricky but I think you'll find it easy peasey!
the
For your  bonus please name the protagonist & his love interest.

IT
I'm hoping I haven't posted this before but if I have then whoops :-[

I have an egg & tomato sarnie in the kitchen with my name on it :-H

I'm going to click post & cross my fingers, toes, legs & arms & hope that I'm in business!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: May 24, 2020, 09:49:33 PM »
Ham, tomato and English mustard for me today, Pen!  Chicken in white sauce with chips and peas tonight - can't wait!  :-H

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: May 24, 2020, 10:12:15 PM »
Hi Penny. We didn't use coffee or baking bread on new housing sites. They just use millions of those plug in air fresheners. I was never on my own site as I was used as cover for holiday and sickness but my first job on any site was to switch off all the smellies in the office as they make me sneeze and my eyes go red.The usual sales lady then had to switch them all back on when she returned. Coffee brewing however would probably have me signing up for any house I viewed  as I am addicted to the stuff!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: May 24, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »
Ham, tomato and English mustard for me today, Pen!  Chicken in white sauce with chips and peas tonight - can't wait!  :-H
Sounds very scrummy Linda. Bangers with chips & beans for me later :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: May 25, 2020, 05:22:39 AM »
Even the Estate Agents pictures can be terrible and my favourite horror is the bathroom shot with the loo seat still up!!!! I have always tried to declutter and neutralize my house when selling and in particular remove as much evidence of dogs as possible.

Hi Christine,

Your post has reinforced to me that we made a good choice of agents.  The photos that they arranged were amazing.  We needed plenty of guidance as this is only the second house we have sold. Our first was a house in Canberra that we sold in 2004 after owning it for 38 years and it was quite a different proposition.  Sadly, we didn't have to remove the evidence of dogs.

Thanks for your good wishes.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: May 25, 2020, 05:46:45 AM »
Hi Pen,

Looks like you nailed my puzzle.

When you were talking about cutting and pasting I wondered whether you had a different browser than you were used to.  It looks like Chrome solved the problem for you.

I assume the coffee machine and the jug were included because they were photogenic.  The exclusion of the other useful things would have been because they were considered clutter.

That was a great puzzle.  The last word took me a while to twig to.  Your bonus question answers are the protagonist was a naughty photographer who got up to mischief in Vienna.  His love interest certainly wasn't his wife because he went home to Britain and ditched her and hot-footed back to Vienna to be with his love interest who was a no-show which apparently set him trying to solve a 170 year old mystery.

If I get back to bed now I might be able to catch a half-hours snooze.
Regards, Jack