Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814523 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #4005 on: May 18, 2020, 03:49:01 PM »
Is the air a bit different in Canberra? :laugh:

Hi Pen

The main difference is that when I am visiting, given the COVID conditions, I have more discretionary time to think about Chi posts than when I am at home.

As expected, you nailed the series in my puzzle but you avoided the bonus questions.

I don't have any recollection of the series in your puzzle.  It may have been that in the 1980s I was operating in workaholic mode or maybe that was another series that didn’t make it to Australia.  The answer to to your bonus point was that David Suchet and George Cole are the lead male actors in the series.  We were fans of Minder until they replaced Dennis Waterman and then it seemed to go downhill.

Here is another TV series
#3  #6

Bonus question: what is the connection with
and
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: May 18, 2020, 06:01:28 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip.  However, I sampled episode 1 this afternoon and the quality of the picture was quite good and so I will remain pure.  The jury is out on whether the production is my cup of tea but I will persevere and leave final judgement until I have watched the  entire series.  I haven't been able to find the Rorschach inkblot puzzle on YouTube.  so I might yet be tempted.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: May 18, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
Morning Jack

Can't believe I missed the bonus questions in yesterday's puzzle :o  What a numpty!  I was somewhat distracted whilst I was trying to post. That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it :laugh:  A Touch of Frost was based on books by R D Wingfield & the screenplay for the episode Fun Times For Swingers was adapted by Alma Cullen. 
I remember Blott being hilarious especially the scenes where George Cole visits Julia McKenzie's Miss Whiplash.  However, like Porterhouse Blue I'm unsure whether it will have stood the test of time.  I might see if I can find either of them to watch.

Today's puzzle has me totally stumped at the moment but I'll be back a bit later :)

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: May 18, 2020, 09:04:38 PM »
I'm back Jack...

I was a bit flummoxed to begin with as I thought it was a moose or an elk in your first picture.  I'm never going to earn my Girl Guide spotting wild animals badge >:D
I hate it when they replace people in popular long running programmes.  You're right about Minder & the solution to your puzzle is one of the worst offenders for doing it.  I'm racking my brains & I think all 4 of the original actors have been replaced!  I stopped watching after Alun Armstrong & Amanda Redman left. 

Having a funny old day at work.  We've started booking more appointments from this week.  Our waiting room is not very roomy & not very well suited for social distancing.  We've got a designated meeter & greeter at the moment (crowd control :laugh:) who is directing operations.  Once it starts to get really busy I think they'll have their work cut out.

I'm off to lunch then fracture clinic this afternoon.  Hopefully when I'm scoffing my ham & egg sarnies I will have an inspiration for a puzzle ....

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: May 18, 2020, 09:43:21 PM »

I thought it was a moose or an elk in your first picture. 

Oh dear, it was gneither of them, and to help you remember......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPgo6s1lBbw

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: May 18, 2020, 10:11:18 PM »
That's brilliant Mike!  Thanks :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: May 18, 2020, 11:34:31 PM »
It's smeee again Jack

I seem to be arriving in instalments today :laugh:  Obviously not very well organised or maybe it's that work is a little busier which, hopefully, is good.  Meant to say your puzzle was great - once I'd sorted out the difference between an elk, a moose & a gnu >:D

I'm going a little bit further back in time with my puzzle to the 1970's.  It's another TV drama #7 #2 #3 #6.  Surname of gent in last picture.
of/the

For your bonus can you please name the actor who played the title character (I have a suspicion he hails from your neck of the woods), how did he refer to his wife & his favourite tipple in the wine bar.  Please also say who wrote & created the series.

Kylie & Bruce were in bed asleep one night when the 'phone rings.  Bruce snatches up the phone, listens for a moment & then says "How the hell would I know you idiot!  I'm not a weatherman!" & slams the phone back down. "Who was that?" asks Kylie.  Bruce replies "Wrong number!  Some berk asking if the coast was clear!"

Bruce walks into the kitchen to find Kylie cooking soft boiled eggs & toast for breakfast.  She's only wearing the T-shirt she normally slept in.  She turns round as Bruce enters the room & says "You've got to make love to me right now!"
Bruce's eyes light up & he thinks he must be still in bed dreaming or this is his lucky day.  Not wanting to lose the moment he embraces Kylie & makes love to her there & then on the kitchen table.  Afterwards she says thanks & returns to the cooker with her T-shirt all rumpled. Happy, but a little puzzled, Bruce asks her "what was that all about?"
Kylie replies "The egg timer's broken!"

I'll leave you with a little Matt. 

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: May 19, 2020, 05:14:27 PM »
For your bonus can you please name the actor who played the title character (I have a suspicion he hails from your neck of the woods), how did he refer to his wife & his favourite tipple in the wine bar.  Please also say who wrote & created the series.

Greetings, Lady Penelope,

Your suspicion was correct. Reginald was born in Sydney, New South Wales. He attended Sydney Technical High School.  On leaving school, he initially worked in a factory, where at the age of 15, he suffered an accident which resulted in the removal of his left eye.  He first worked as an engineering apprentice, then as an artist, followed by service as a sapper with the Australian Army's Royal Australian Engineers during World War II.  Having fallen in love with Australian actress Jane Holland, he moved to the United Kingdom to be with her; they married in 1946.

However, the character he played was very English because an Australian would never believe anybody must be obeyed.  The expression he used was not original. The phrase She Who Must Be Obeyed originally derives from the lead character of Henry Rider Haggard 's 1886 novel She: A History of Adventure. It is slang for "my wife", implying she is in charge.

He described his favourite tipple in the wine bar variously as "Cooking Claret", "Pomeroy's Plonk", "Pomeroy's Very Ordinary", "Chateau Thames Embankment", or "Chateau Fleet Street".

The series was created and written by the British writer and barrister John Mortimer.

You nailed my puzzle.  Until I researched it I never Gnu that it was also called a wildebeest.  So live and learn.

We are having an early dinner tonight, so I am going to end the post here.  I will try to make up for it when we get home tomorrow.
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: May 19, 2020, 06:06:54 PM »
What memories!  I loved Rumpole of the Bailey and read quite a lot of the books.  Thought Leo McKern was brilliant as Rumpole in the TV series.  Is this another of your favourites, Pen?

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: May 19, 2020, 06:42:39 PM »
Of course Linda!  You'd have been astonished if it wasn't as our tastes are so very similar :laugh:
You are quite right - Leo McKern was excellent and the whole programme just worked so well.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: May 19, 2020, 06:53:59 PM »
Hi Jack

I'm the designated meeter & greeter today so away from my computer for most of the time. 

Great answer to my Rumpole puzzle :)

I didn't know a gnu is a wildebeest!  Mind you my wild animal spotting skills are poor as Mike will testify :laugh:

Roll on tomorrow & I can get back to my efficient receptionist mode... >:D

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: May 19, 2020, 10:29:57 PM »
You'd have been astonished if it wasn't as our tastes are so very similar

Indeed I would! 

Fish, chips and mushy peas for tea tonight - how about you?

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: May 20, 2020, 01:48:14 AM »
Hobson's choice for me Linda! I had fish fingers & chips for tea yest. When I got them out of the freezer I took a pizza out that I got in Sainsburys cheap last week. Didn't put it back & it defrosted so I'm eating that so's not to waste it. Numpty :-R

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: May 20, 2020, 08:08:00 PM »
Hi Lady Penelope.

When did you change the avatar?

The caption for the middle one is “Hoarder Collie”.

It was a bit of a shock when arrived home.  The formal lounge was now a dining room; The dining room was a snug; the rumpus room was a conservatory; the bedrooms looked great but didn’t look they were meant for sleeping in.  We were worried about how we should share our reaction with the estate agent but were saved by a visit from two of our friends who we invited round to view the transformation.  Their reaction was that it was really impressive.  So we were able to convey that to the real estate agents without emphasising our reservations.

I am a bit knacked, Pen, so I am afraid that’s all from me tonight.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: May 20, 2020, 08:16:53 PM »
Hi Jack

Back in my comfort zone this morning & working on the fracture clinic.  Glad to be rid of that horrible mask.  It felt very hot & claustrophobic.  Even worse after I drank a hot cuppa & put it back on :laugh:

I expect you're home by now.  How's the house looking?  Bet it was great to spend some time with Andrew :)

I've got a nice easy little puzzle for you & hope I'm not repeating myself.  It's a detective novel by a very famous lady.  #4 #6 #4

the dog breed is irrelevant - I just used it as an excuse to use a picture of a cute puppy :laugh:
For a bonus please say who is the main character in the book & the name of the lady he is engaged to help.

You've posted while I was dipping in & out of my post.  Please ignore my question about the house & leave my puzzle until you feel like it.

I changed my avatar a few days ago.  I wanted Lady Penelope but couldn't find a good picture.  Might change to Penelope Pitstop ;D

Nearly lunchtime :-H  Cheese & coleslaw in a cheesy topped roll today yummy!  What's on the menu today Linda?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:19:57 PM by Hobbit »