Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 819064 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3915 on: May 02, 2020, 08:15:59 PM »
Hi Jack

Our weekend lady is poorly so I find myself at work today :(  I expect you're already enjoying your sauvignon blanc while I can only dream & fantasise about my pink muck... >:D

Do you have Guinness in your neck of the woods? Would have thought you must do :laugh: I had some bangers last night which were Guinness & leek.  I can honestly say they were the best I've ever had - yummy & delish :)

Great cartoons & a brilliant tricky puzzle :)
My bonus answers are that the 2 largest are the Frying Pan Lake in New Zealand & the Boiling Lake in Dominica.  Enjoyed my research & looking at the pictures :)

I've tried to come up with an equally tricky puzzle but not sure! Think you'll probably find it rather easy.  It's an iconic building which you may have spotted while watching Morse.  Word count is 9, (3/5) 6, 6. (2nd picture you want the character on the left)

For your bonus please say what is the style of the building, who designed it & when was it built.

The second one will probably pass you by but it tickled me :)

The past, present and future were in a bar. It was tense.
They’re filming a new Renee Zellweger movie in Cuba. It’s called Bridget Jones Daiquiri.
Did you hear they’ve translated Harper Lee’s magnum opus into Mexican? It’s called Tequila Mockingbird.
Learn Wine First Aid! Open the bottle to allow it to breathe. If it doesn’t look like it’s breathing, give it mouth-to-mouth.

While you're groaning I'm going to scarper & will the hands of the clock round to lunchtime... :-H

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: May 02, 2020, 10:01:17 PM »
Hi Pen,

I’m sorry to hear you had to go to work today.  Still it will keep you out of mischief and allowed you to devise a devilish puzzle. >:D

How did your COVID-19 test go the other day or haven’t you heard yet?

I can only get an answer to your puzzle if the word count is 9(3 5) 6, 6(2 4).  So I will give you bonus answers for that and you can tell me where I went wrong.  It was designed by James Gibbs and built between 1737-1749.  It is a funny looking building and I don’t know how to describe it but it used a Library

It's way past my bedtime.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 04:56:47 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: May 02, 2020, 10:46:20 PM »
Your answers to my puzzle are spot on Jack ;)  I forgot to break down the last word into 2/4.  Whoops :-[ :laugh:

I would love the opportunity to get into mischief >:D

My Covid19 test came back negative thankfully.  Although I'm not really sure how much help it is!  Although I tested negative on Thursday I could be positive today.  I think an antibody test would probably be quite helpful for those who have had it or who think they may have had it.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:51:54 PM by Hobbit »

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: May 03, 2020, 03:39:54 AM »
Hi Penny
where did you get Guinness and Leek sausages from? What was the base meat - beef or pork? Yes -it's true I love a sausage!!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: May 03, 2020, 04:42:57 AM »
Hi Christine
I got them in my local Sainsburys.  They are made by Loughnane's & are 85% pork. (I had to nip out & grab the cardboard wrapper out of the recycling bag!)  Not only are they totally yummy the skins are good too.  I got some cumberlands in Lidl a few weeks ago & the skins were tough & horrible :(  Like you I love a sausage!!  I probably eat far too many but I honestly don't care >:D
I've just checked on Ms Google & you do have a Sainsburys in Kendal - hope they have them so you can give them a whirl! Let me know what you think if you manage to get some.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 04:46:22 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: May 03, 2020, 03:32:38 PM »
I forgot to break down the last word into 2/4.  

Hi Pen,

It wasn't this that got me off on the wrong track, it was the 9, (3/5) which I took to mean the first word was 9 letters long and the next word was made up of two components, the second picture contributing 3 letters and the third picture contributing 5 letters. then it would follow that the last two pictures would be 6 letters each.  

We have never laid down any guidelines for the letter count but it might be an idea if I make some suggestions and see if you agree with them or have some better suggestions.  Suggestions from other forumites would also be welcome.

The word count should be on a line of its own.

Punctuation marks should be left out of the word count unless they are in the answer.  

We would use special special characters to indicate the relationship between the words and the pictures.

A # followed by a number would indicate one picture corresponds to one word. e.g. Mouse Trap might be pictures of a mouse and a Mousetrap and would be 5# 4#

& could indicate where two pictures made up one word e.g.  Peacock might be two pictures, a pea and a rooster and would be 7#3&4 (you might be able to think of better pictures, Pen. >:D)

Where the numbers of the parts add up to more than the whole it could be assumed there is an overlap e.g. County might be two pictures a Count and a Tee and would be 6#5&2

If there is is no number in front of the #, it can be assume the picture implies more than one word  e.g. a picture of a clock face with both hands pointing at 6 might imply half past six and would be #4&4&3

What do you reckon, Pen?  Is it worth a try or is it just too much trouble?

I’ll do two to see if it works.  One bonus point that covers both.  Dare I say easy-peasy to test the concept?

A 1993 movie.

#3. 9#5&4

A 1987 movie

#4&7, #7

Bonus question: What is the common link between the two movies?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 03:34:27 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: May 03, 2020, 11:34:54 PM »
Hi Penny
thanks for the info on the sausages! Yes we do have a Sainsbury store now (been open about a year) and I go in normal times every six weeks as I drop Holly spaniel at her hairdresser and have two hours to kill until she emerges clean and none smelly.I will look the next time I go especially as I will probably have even more time to kill whilst the poor groomer tries to put right my home made efforts to clip a spaniel during lock down!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: May 04, 2020, 12:00:56 AM »
That's brilliant Christine.
I have a very funny mental picture of your spaniel with a wonky haircut :laugh:  Think you should post a picture!
Hope you are successful in getting the bangers - they are scrummy!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: May 04, 2020, 12:01:52 AM »
Hi Jack

I solved your puzzles & the answer to your bonus question is Robin Williams :)  Both very enjoyable films.  I'm more than happy to give your suggestion a whirl but I just might end up confusing you!  Sometimes I'm a bit like Winnie the Pooh :laugh:

I'll give it a try & give you a couple of Bond films.

#7.  #4 & 3.

#5.
#3, 3, 3, 5#4+1, 2 (3rd note!)

TheD

For you bonus please name the actors who played 007.  Please also mark my efforts :laugh:

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: May 04, 2020, 12:25:59 AM »
Honestly Penny the chances of me fathoming out how to take a picture are small but posting one would be a miracle!!!!!!!!!! I don't do modern technology. It is a source of huge amusement among the other staff where I work that I have a mobile phone that is exactly that. A phone. Not a hand held computer!! They run a whats ap(?) group to pass on info about shift changes etc but they have to phone me (and my friend who also doesn't do tech and who I got the job after checking that they could cope with two out of date women in one shop!) Holly doesn't look too bad as she is often wet through at the moment as she likes to swim in the river when it is warm.

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: May 04, 2020, 02:14:50 AM »
Christine you are not alone with your phone, mine is so old I top it up in Guineas.  :D
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: May 04, 2020, 04:17:29 AM »
Is that an old 'half a brick' then Gareth? :laugh:

I'm not especially great with technology Christine but I have a daughter & quite a few friends who help me muddle along.  I'm particularly good at deleting stuff though :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: May 04, 2020, 10:16:24 AM »
Hi Winnie,

The word(character) count for your two puzzles are:

3 #3 #3 5#4&1 #2
Hint: in the last picture you are only interested in the 3rd note.

7#3&4

I explained a few things poorly or not at all.   The reason for putting the word(character) count on a line of its own was to remove the need to say how many words are in the answer.  As in normal text, each word (where there is more than one) is defined by the space between then), therefore
#3 9#5&4
Is two words.

One of the most important conventions is that “Punctuation marks should be left out of the word count unless they are in the answer”.   So periods and commas do not appear on the line unless they appear in the text of the answer.

I overlooked four things:

First, sometimes we literally use words e.g. “the”, “of” instead of using a picture. I propose that these just be represented by the number that is the length of the word e.g.  The {picture representing the word “shadow”} of a {picture represent the word “doubt”} would be
3 #6 2 1 #5

Second, sometimes when there is a positional puzzle where words such as “above”, “below”, “over”, “between” are not spelled out by a picture or a word, these should also be shown just as a number which is the length of the word.  This will also indicate that the extra word(s) is/are positional.

Third, as in your first puzzle, the word in the answer is a combination of a picture and a letter (it could also be prefix or suffix spelled out).  I propose the length of the letter(s) are treated in the same way as a picture’s length.

Where there is an apostrophe in a word it be shown in position but not counted in the word length.  E.g.  Jack’s would be
5#4&1

The answers to my puzzles were:

#3. 9#5&4
Mrs. Doubtfire

#4&7, #7
Good Morning, Vietnam

Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: May 04, 2020, 02:36:36 PM »
As one who provides occasional input into your pictograms, I have to say that I do enjoy them, even though I don't always respond.

I do think, however, that the only information needed to solve any of your pictograms and the only information given should be the number of words and the number of letters per word.
This is the normal way in a cryptic crossword, which was my favourite pastime before becoming a Chi addict.
In a cryptic crossword, the answer to your recent bonus point question might be clued

-Bird meets bard and Charles's first to name a star. [2 words. 5, 8]

In pictorial form it might be simply -'2 words, 5 and 8'

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:43:44 PM by mkenuk »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: May 04, 2020, 02:54:26 PM »
Hi Pen,

Time for something lighter before the next puzzle.

Blue told me his next door neighbour would not allow her teenage daughter to attend the Concert Hall for a performance of Glazunov's Concerto for Alto Saxophone and String Orchestra because it contained little but sax and violins.

The puzzle today is the name of a Morse episode.
#4  #3  #2  9#4&5

P.S.  I have looked at Mike's Post which just came in.  In his notation - [4 words 4,3,2,9]

P.P.S.  What was the name of the 18-year-old woman found dead in a pub car park, where she was late in meeting her date?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 03:18:50 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack