Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 822783 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3825 on: April 14, 2020, 04:43:58 AM »
Hi Jack

That was a nice restful snippet :-Y  Are they panpipes?  They sound like it but I have no idea what they look like!

Oops I didn't mean to flummox you!! You are quite correct about house but wrong about keeper.  It's a word that both you & I have used in our posts in the last couple of weeks.

Tell Blue really great Coronavirus jokes :laugh:

Do you have garden gnomes in your corner of the World?
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: April 14, 2020, 07:47:11 AM »
Do you have garden gnomes in your corner of the World?

Hi Pen,

We do have some, not as many as in yesteryears, but we are a bit short on hobbits. :D

I still couldn't work out the name of the movie but it only took the Brains Trust about 5 minutes.  A very good but cryptic clue.

From there I could manage to find the relationship.  First film - Mum.  Second Film - Daughter.

Did anyone else work it out?
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: April 14, 2020, 10:45:54 AM »
hi Jack & Pen

Me and the garden gnome managed it

Took a while

Carol

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: April 14, 2020, 03:04:17 PM »
Hi Carol,

Before the Brains Trust delivered, you were one of my main hopes that we could go back to Pen saying we'd solved it.

My other hope was that Mike would come in with a supplementary bonus question.

I see that your weather is finally behaving itself.
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: April 14, 2020, 03:40:59 PM »
Sorry, Jack, not this time.
I worked out the name of the second film but struggled with the first. Housekeeper? Keeper? - the cricketer is not a wicketkeeper though; he has no gloves.
Ah, well. You can't win them all.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: April 14, 2020, 05:08:40 PM »
Hi Pen,

I thought you had a bad memory.  My searching shows we have only used "sitter" once each, me on 31 March and you on 8 April.  

As you are likely to have another quiet day at work, I will start with a puzzle and then see if I have the energy to ring Blue.

I know how you love westerns, Pen,  >:D so here is two to name:

One word 9(4 5)

Hint:ignore the boy and what he is doing.

Three words  2 7 10(7 4) one overlapping letter.

Simple Bonus question: What was the common theme?

Last week, Sheila remarked to Blue that with the children grown and away from home and the grandkids not able to visit because of the lockout, this was the first year that they hadn’t dyed eggs and had an Easter-egg hunt.

That’s all right, honey,” Blue said. “We can just hide each other’s vitamin pills.”

Back in February, Blue walked into Bowral post office one day to see Shifty, a middle-aged, balding Lawyer, standing at the counter methodically placing ''Love'' stamps on bright pink envelopes with hearts all over them. He then takes out a perfume bottle and starts spraying scent all over them.  Blue’s curiosity gets the better of him and he goes up to Shifty and asks him what he is doing.

"I'm sending out 100 Valentine cards signed, 'Guess who?'"

"But why?'' asked Blue.

"Most of my income comes from handling divorce proceedings."

Again, I’ll leave you with a clip

It’s not peaceful, but very clever.

I just remembered you can't view YouTube at work.  

It’s also embedded in this article.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:26:56 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: April 14, 2020, 08:50:36 PM »
Hi Jack

Spot on!  Another quiet day :-Y  My memory is obviously selective >:D

As you probably guessed I'm not a huge fan of the old westerns.  I don't mind a bit of spaghetti :laugh: but I always felt that John Wayne was always John Wayne whichever film you were watching.  I think it was his voice that did for me.  Zoe's 95 year old granddad loves westerns.  Especially the old black & white ones.  Whenever she visits (not lately) he's usually got one on!  Anyway I digress.  I got your second puzzle quite quickly but got a bit stuck on the first :laugh:  Anyway got there in the end & my answer to your bonus question is Wyatt Earp.

My puzzle is a hit from the 1960's.  Two words.  3/8.  one letter overlap on pictures 2 & 3. You want the George on the left!

For your bonus please name the pair who wrote/recorded it & the film it's in?
I'm a bit wary of saying I think you'll find it rather easy :-[  :laugh:

Introduced by a mixologist, Stan was a zoologist, Evie a geologist. They lived in a metropolis, were happily monogamous, their lives never monotonous. Then Evie saw a gynecologist, who sent her to a virologist.
Stan wasn’t a monogamist.
Evie thought him the rottenest. He’s at the ER with a proctologist.

The public safety officer came up to a large mob of people outside a department store and asked, “What’s happening?”
A security officer replied, “These people are waiting to get the new Barbie doll.” The public safety officer shook his head and muttered, “Who can resist a Barbie queue?”

A lizard walks into a bar pushing a baby in a stroller. "What's your kid's name?" asks the bartender. "Tiny," says the lizard. "Because he's my newt."

Nearly lunchtime :)

I enjoyed your clip of the 4 ladies - very clever.  Still doesn't beat the gorgeous puppies from a few days ago.

Time I wasn't here...my sarnie is calling me :-H

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:52:20 PM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: April 14, 2020, 11:29:44 PM »
I'm back Jack!  Hope this tickles you :)

Duck & Dog Play Tag

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: April 15, 2020, 12:42:13 AM »
Hi Pen

Very cute clip

I can’t make head nor tail of your puzzle..Without knowing the contribution each of the pictures make to the whole the possibities are too great.  I thought the breakup might be 3 (5 3 1) but that got me nowhere.  In desperation, I went through a list of 300 top songs of the 60’s and not one had a 3 8 pattern.

I will consult the Brains trust in the morning and will also see if anyone else has got a solution

Right now I need sleep as it is an 8 o’clock Ontrac session in the morning.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: April 15, 2020, 01:16:13 AM »
Sorry Jack it's only easy if you know it!
The second word of my puzzle breaks down to 3/3/3.  I though you'd get the second word & then guess the first.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: April 15, 2020, 02:01:58 AM »
Quite right, Pen.  If you know the answer it is easy and perfectly logical, even if 3 of the clues are quite cryptic.

I just had a call from Shifty the bush lawyer.  He said shouldn’t the first word have a full stop to indicate it is an abbreviation and therefore shouldn’t the length be 4?  :D >:D

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: April 15, 2020, 04:56:21 AM »
If you hang on a mo Jack I'll nip upstairs & get my hair shirt out of the drawer >:D :laugh:

Tell Shifty he's a cheeky little so & so but he is, of course, absolutely right :laugh:

Teach me to be a clever clogs!!

Just pretend that's me in the chair :laugh:

toodle pip!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: April 15, 2020, 08:43:24 PM »
Hi Jack

It's beginning to be a bit like Groundhog Day here! I just need Sonny & Cher :laugh: Every day just merges into the next & they all seem to be the same.

Meanwhile I remembered something I watched on Frasier many moons ago which I thought was hilarious.  A bit slapstick but it really tickled me :laugh: I am hoping I haven't posted it before - I did try to check back & see.
Niles

Couple of silly jokes for you...

Just seen a man slumped over a lawn mower crying his eyes out. .. he said he’ll be fine he’s just going through a rough patch.

I swear, the other day I bought a packet of peanuts, and on the packet it said "may contain nuts." Well, YES! That's what I bought the buggers for! You'd be annoyed if you opened it and a socket set fell out!"'

My puzzle is definitely easy today!  Promise - cross my heart :laugh:  It's an old British comedy film.  3 words.  5, 2, 6 (4/3)
on

This film contains all the usual suspects apart from two.  Can you please name the missing actors.

Nearly lunchtime... :-H  Cheese & tomato again.  I really do need to have a change :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: April 15, 2020, 08:49:01 PM »
Hi Pen,

First, to finalise a couple of puzzles.

Mine two back: Absolute Friends and Tigerman. Authors John Le Carre and his son, Nick Harkaway.

Yours two back: Housesitter and Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon. Actors Goldie Hawn and daughter, Kate Hudson.

My Last one: Tombstone and My Darling Clementine (also featured in a M*A*S*H episode), Full marks for Wyatt Earp, and Gunfight at the O.K. Corral would also have scored full points.
Your last one: Mrs. Robinson.   Artists: Simon and Garfunkel   Movie: The Graduate.

Back in the days before COVID-19 when it was still kosher to get together, Blue and his mates, including Shifty the lawyer, were playing poker.

"I win!" said Shifty.

Blue threw down his cards. "That's it! I've had it! Shifty is cheating!!!"

"How can you tell?" asked Whisper, the guy you could never get to shout.

"Those aren't the cards I dealt him!"

The puzzle tonight is a little different.  You like films, I like history. So, two historic films, adaptations of historic books but for the bonus points we are interested in an aspect of history, not who acted in them or who wrote the books, but what time they share in common from a subject point of view.

Film one, 8(4 2 3)  First made in the late 1950s (like you, Pen)  and remade when you were about 20.

Film 2.   3 3 5

Again, I’ll leave you with a clip

This is what happens if you don’t share

Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: April 15, 2020, 09:36:58 PM »
Penny you are never going to believe this coincidence! This morning's Frasier was the Valentine edition from which your clip of Niles came. My David is addicted to Frasier!!