Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 822880 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3810 on: April 11, 2020, 02:36:56 PM »
I thought I would have one more go before I go back to the picture puzzles.

Last Name - *****r
Animal - Roebuck   
Girls name - Katerina
Colour - Ash Blue  (also a cheese)
Movie - E.T.
Something you wear – Trousers  (when I'm allowed)
Drink - Southern Comfort  (only joking)
Food - Tacos
Item in the bathroom - Soap
Place - Poonah
Reason to be late -Hungover  (only joking)
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: April 11, 2020, 03:50:49 PM »
Very good Mike - word Prefect :laugh:
(sorry best I could come up with!)

Perhaps you could afford Prefect, Pen.

I learned something from the radio this morning.  Today is not Easter Saturday – it is Holy Saturday and next Saturday is Easter Saturday.  How can you get as old as I am without knowing that? ???

Although Wikipedia says the book in your puzzle is largely set during the Gordon Riots of 1780, its synopsis puts the early action in 1775 in Chigwell, a town in the Epping Forest district of Essex.

It was one of two novels (the other was The Old Curiosity Shop) that Dickens published in his short-lived (4 April 1840 to 4 December 1841) weekly serial Master Humphrey's Clock.

Quote from: Wikipedia

The Gordon Riots of 1780 were several days of rioting in Great Britain motivated by anti-Catholic sentiment. They began with a large and orderly protest in London against the Papists Act of 1778, which was intended to reduce official discrimination against British Catholics enacted by the Popery Act 1698. Lord George Gordon, head of the Protestant Association, argued that the law would enable Catholics to join the British Army and become a dangerous threat. The protest led to widespread rioting and looting, including attacks on Newgate Prison and the Bank of England and was the most destructive in the history of London.

The Scategories response was great.

I worked out a beaut puzzle about the Tolpuddle Martyrs but I had a strong feeling I had used something about them before.  I searched for “Tolpuddle” and searched for “Martyr” without a result.  As a final try, I searched for “labourer” and sure enough I had used the puzzle in January.

While I go away and start again, I will leave you with a story about one of Blue’s Grandsons.  He is the first one of Blue’s mob to go to University.  His name is Clive, after the late Clive James, but we all know him as “Egghead”.  He is a nice kid, a bit on the humble and self-effacing side but he has one of Blue’s characteristics.  Mentally, he is tough as nails and you must get up early in the morning to put one over on him.

Anyway, I must stop waffling and get on with the story.

Egg-head was in the University library when he spotted a gorgeous girl and he went up to her politely and said, “Do you mind if I sit beside you?"

The girl answered with a loud voice; "I DON'T WANT TO SPEND THE NIGHT WITH YOU!!!”.

All the students in the library started staring at Egghead and he was embarrassed. After a couple of minutes, the girl walked quietly to the Egg-head's table and she told him “I study psychology and I know what a man is thinking, I guess you felt embarrassed right?"

Egg-head responded with a loud voice: "$200 JUST FOR ONE NIGHT!!!? THAT'S TOO MUCH!!!"

...and all the people in the library looked at the girl in shock and Egghead whispered in her ears; “I study Law and I know how to make someone look guilty"

Fingers crossed, I’ll be back later.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 03:55:12 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: April 11, 2020, 08:14:40 PM »
BTW my last name isn't Jones - I've noticed the ****s and obviously people are using their actual surnames.  I just thought of a name - not very original name I grant you!  >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: April 11, 2020, 08:50:07 PM »
Another response, with more restrictive rule

Hi TRex,

Your meaning was lost to me until my family pointed out the you completed the exercise with each line starting and finishing with the same letter you started with.
Bravo
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 09:06:44 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: April 12, 2020, 02:25:44 AM »
Hi Jack

It's extremely warm here today.  My neighbour said a thermometer in her back garden recorded 31c :o  They're forecasting 10c on Monday so that'll be a shock!  I'm back at work on Easter Monday.  Like you I had no idea that today wasn't Easter Saturday.

Loved the waffley story about Egghead :laugh:

Top bonus marks for my last puzzle :)  I'm struggling to come up with anything tricky so today's is a poem.  4 words.  3, 5, 2, 6.

The last picture is subjective & nothing to do with the name of the lady!

Easy bonus.  Please give the author of the poem.  How was he known & who said it after meeting him? What animal did he reputedly keep in his college room?

Bet you can't guess what I'm having in a little while :laugh:

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: April 12, 2020, 04:13:05 AM »
Hi Pen,

"The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!
"

Here is a reverse question;  What nickname was his father known as, which could equally apply to me?  

He kept a bear in his room because keeping a dog was against the rules.  I searched for ages to find a nickname for him but in the end, all I could come up with was that “Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know” was a phrase used to describe him by his lover, who was a Lamb.

As to your dinner:  Fish and Chips?   :D >:D

Now to my puzzle?

The subject today is a period of unrest across a lot of England in 1381.  It was known by several names including the one in today’s puzzle 3 6 9(5 4).  All punctuation has been left out of the puzzle.

Bonus Questions:

Which King was involved and how old was he?
What was being protested against?
What was the outcome?(in less than 10,000 words  ;D)

I’ll leave you with several COVID-19 virus cartoons from Johannes Leak of the Australian.

Must go.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:20:33 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: April 12, 2020, 04:37:58 AM »
Hi Again Jack

Does this answer your question?

I'm going to return to your puzzle tomorrow & give it my proper attention rather than go at it half cocked! (what a strange expression - have to look that up on Ms Google!)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: April 12, 2020, 10:50:47 AM »
Hi Pen,

I found this when I was looking earlier this morning “He was extremely self-conscious about this from a young age, nicknaming himself le diable boîteux (French for "the limping devil", after the nickname given to Asmodeus by Alain-René Lesage in his 1707 novel of the same name)” but your question was “How was he known & who said it after meeting him?“. I can’t answer that.

I noted your delicacy in not answering “What nickname was his father known as, which could equally apply to me?

This will save you looking up Half-Cocked.

How was the Pizza?

This is my wish for you, Zoe, and all our Forumite friends:

However you perceive Easter, Have a good one.

But in a lighter vein:

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: April 12, 2020, 09:37:25 PM »
Hi Jack

I've just mown the lawn & am a little hot & knacked now!  Thought I'd post before having a cheese & tomato sarnie for my lunch :-H

The pizza was scrummy :)  I did come slightly unstuck as I hadn't noticed there was chilli on it & I had a mouthful which left my mouth rather tingly :laugh:  I would have picked it off had I been more observant!

You might possibly limp but I certainly don't see you as a devil - a mischievous imp may be more appropriate >:D

I should have realised that 'half cocked' was something to do with old firearms.  Didn't engage brain properly :laugh:

I think you'd already answered the Lord Byron question - Mad Bad & Dangerous to know which was said by Lady Caroline Lamb :)

I know your last puzzle by a different name which flummoxed me slightly but I solved it :)
My bonus answers are
1. King Richard II who was aged 14 at the time.
2. The revolt had various causes, including the socio-economic and political tensions generated by the Black Death in the 1340s, the high taxes resulting from the conflict with France during the Hundred Years' War, and instability within the local leadership of London. The final trigger for the revolt was the intervention of a royal official, John Bampton, in Essex on 30 May 1381. His attempts to collect unpaid poll taxes in Brentwood ended in a violent confrontation, which rapidly spread across the south-east of the country.
3. Sacking of Tower of London and mass execution of Royal officials
Charters granted to rebel towns
Eventual suppression of revolt and execution of rebel leaders
It deterred future parliaments from raising taxes to pay for military campaigns in France.
I think that's enough homework for today :laugh:

My puzzle is an event from Australian history dating 1837/38.  3 words. 8 (5,3), 5, 8 (4,4)  Surname of the character in picture 3.

A simple bonus question.  Who was involved & where did it take place?

My tummy's rumbling so it's

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: April 13, 2020, 12:32:03 AM »
Hi Pen,

We still seem to have crossed wires about Byron’s Dad, “Mad Jack” Byron who to my knowledge didn’t have a limp and neither do I.  It was Byron himself who identified as “The Limping Devil”.

Great answer to my last puzzle which was variously known as The Peasants' Revolt, Wat Tyler's Rebellion or the Great Rising.

SPOILER ALERT: This article gives the details of Pen’s latest puzzle

Great Puzzle, Pen.

The answer to my puzzle today is the name of two books, each by different Authors.   8 7 and 8(5 3)

And

Bonus Questions.

Who are the two Authors?  Seeing as it is Easter, I will even give you a count on the authors,  4 2 5  and 4 8.

What is their relationship to each other?

Albert Einstein attributed his brilliant mind to having a child-like sense of humour.  I was self-evaluating and one out of two isn’t bad.

This is your great-grandma and great grandpa,” Blue told egghead as he handed him a photo of Wazza and Matilda, his great-grandparents.

Do you think I look like them?”, Egghead asked

Blue shook his head. “Not yet.”

I'll leave you with a clip.

This will warm your heart

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:37:25 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: April 13, 2020, 04:29:32 AM »
Hi Jack

That clip was wonderful.  It warmed my heart, my cockles & a few other bits as well :)

I think I've solved your puzzles but not the bonus question.  I'm at work tomorrow :'(  It promises to be a very slow few hours so I will keep my powder dry & save it til then.

I've got a bit confused with Byron & his Dad.  I'm obviously not keeping up to speed :laugh:

I'm going to give my little grey cell a small workout then slump in my chair & wish I hadn't got to get up in the morning!  On the plus side I do have the remains of a bottle of pinot noir to cheer me up & the weather's going to the dogs tomorrow :laugh:

Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: April 13, 2020, 08:51:58 PM »
Hi Jack

Here I am at work.  It is, as I suspected, really quiet. In the circumstances probably for the best but it's going to be a long day!

Your puzzle had me properly puzzled for a bit :laugh:  Very clever & has given me a bit of an idea!  The bonus answer is that the first author is the father of the second :)  (wasn't sure if I should give up the answer yet!)
 My puzzle is a couple of films.  The first one is one word 11 letters. (5/6)  The 2nd film is 6 words.  4, 4, 3, 3, 5, 4.  (surname of the character in the last picture)

For your bonus what's the connection between the two films?

I know you enjoy a Dad joke so here's a few!
I've been learning German for twenty years. It's zwanzig Jahren.
People tell me I take mini-golf too seriously, but my caddy disagrees.
I met my boyfriend whilst he was working at the zoo. There he was in his uniform – straightaway I knew he was a keeper.
I heard a rumour that Cadbury is bringing out an oriental chocolate bar. Could be a Chinese Wispa.
I used to work in a shoe-recycling shop. It was sole-destroying.'

Nearly lunchtime :-H  Cheese & coleslaw today - I know how to live life on the edge :laugh:

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:20 PM »
I think that coleslaw expands in the fridge as there is always more left over than you think and inventive combinations are required to use it all up!! Enjoy the cheese combo Penny.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: April 13, 2020, 10:21:22 PM »
You're right Christine.  It's almost like it reproduces when you put it back in the fridge!  I can't remember when I last used a tub of coleslaw right to the bottom.  Sarnie was yummy.  Hopefully I can go home in a couple of hours.  Might have to put the heating on :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: April 14, 2020, 01:50:00 AM »
Hi Pen,

You’ve got me stumped with your puzzle.  I had no trouble with the second one which is a remake of Cliffhanger.  But the only thing I could make of the first one that fits the word count is “Housekeeper”.  The only problem is that it is drawing a long bow, it is an obscure movie, and I can’t find any connection between it and the second film.  So I am assuming it is wrong.  Don't tell me the answer, just confirm it is wrong.  Can anybody help?

I can’t spend any more time on it as Ontrac starts again at 9 O’clock and I need my beauty sleep. ;D

Blue rang me to pass on some Coronavirus jokes doing the rounds:

Quote from: Blue
I used to spin the toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune. Now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe.

I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone.

This morning I saw a neighbour talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. I came into my house and told my dog..... we laughed a lot.

My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Classified Ad: Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun.

Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under.

While making his rounds, Doctor Quack pointed out an x-ray to a group of medical students.

As you can see,” he says, “the patient limps because his left fibula and tibia are radically arched

Doctor Quack turned to one of the students and asked,” What would you do in a case like this?”.

Well”, ponders the student, “I suppose I’d limp, too”.

I’ll leave you with a clip

It’s very peaceful
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:52:19 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack