Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 822114 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3750 on: April 05, 2020, 10:50:56 AM »
Hi Mike,

A bit of Catholic trivia for you.  The advocatus diaboli is a former official position within the Catholic Church, the Promoter of the Faith: one who "argued against the canonisation (sainthood) of a candidate in order to uncover any character flaws or misrepresentation of the evidence favouring canonisation"..

If I have the right actor for your second question, There on lies a tale.  She grew up in South Africa, her mother got off on grounds of self-defence after shooting and killing her father, and her great-great-uncle was a second Boer War military leader.  Although She is fluent in English, her first language is Afrikaans. Surely there must be a historical book or movie coming out about her or her family.

I had not heard of Sir Keir Starmer until I got the notification of his elevation.  However, a bit of quick research shows he appears to be an able and presentable candidate in the bid to knock off Boris.  The fact that he was a vocal advocate for a second referendum, stating he would have voted to remain is also something that recommends him to me.  But I don’t have a vote – presumably, you still do.
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: April 05, 2020, 11:45:41 AM »

Hi Jack

As to Mikes second question, I came up with an American comedian

Shall now do a bit more research

Do enjoy these puzzles 

Thanks Pen Jack and Mike

Carol 

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: April 05, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »
Spot on with the actress, Jack.

As far as UK elections go, I am no longer eligible to vote, having been away from UK for more than 15 years.

Sir Keir Starmer made his name as a civil rights lawyer, and he was Director of Public Prosecutions in the last Labour government.

He is a very skilled public speaker and rhetorician. I am really looking forward to him wiping the floor with Johnson in debates when Parliament eventually resumes.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: April 05, 2020, 01:51:50 PM »
I know there are some clever programmers in modern computer languages in the forum but are there still any that can find there way around a commercial COBOL program.  I could write a simple classroom program back in 1965 but I never wrote any serious programs in the language.  I was reasonably proficient in FORTRAN and Assembly Language until I moved out of programming for Administration in 1973.

The reason for raising this, if you can find your way around in COBOL, NEW JERSEY NEEDS YOU
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 01:54:44 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: April 05, 2020, 04:20:06 PM »
Was that when you arrived by stork Jack?

Hi Pen,

You know that I believe everything you tell me and therefore you had me believing a stork delivered me in June 1942, especially after I read this article.  

However, I did some more research and found that the Jabiru or Black-necked Stork is Australia's largest wading bird and our only stork. It stands 1.3m -1.5 m in height and its wingspan is a massive 2.3m from tip to tip. The head colour is an amazing glossy, shimmery, black with blue, green and purple but they mainly stick to the top of the country and to my knowledge don’t come to the Hunter Valley.

My theory is that a crow brought me.  We had millions of them and it would explain why my father’s favourite expression was stone the crows.

The maternity nurse was showing Blue his newly born child, “You have a cute baby.”

Blue said, “I bet you say that to all new parents.”

No,” she replied, “just to those whose babies really are good-looking.”

Blue again asked, “So what do you say to the others?”

The nurse replied, “The baby looks just like you.

I promised I would go for a walk, so I will have to leave the puzzle to the next post.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: April 05, 2020, 09:22:58 PM »
Hi Pen,

When Andrew saw my posts today, he suggested I should link my puzzle tonight to one of them.

So tonight, the answer is the name of an American computer scientist.  

I had a very modest link to that person who toured Australia in the 1970s and gave a talk which I attended.  The first name and surname would be all that was needed by those in the industry at that time but to make it interesting I am asking for the person’s full 4 names.  5 8 6 6.

Image 1 – First name, Prince Ranier is irrelevant
Image 3- Last Name
Image 4- the description of the action not the animal.

Bonus questions:

. Which University did the person get a PH.D. in mathematics from in 1934?

. What was the person's rank on retiring from the US Navy?

. What did the person popularise which led to the development of COBOL?

. (double points) Describe the incident which gave a name for the reason that computers can give a wrong result and subsequently the name for the process of getting mistakes out of computer programs.

That should keep you busy for five minutes, Pen. >:D

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:49:13 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: April 06, 2020, 01:31:25 AM »
Hi Jack

I have just enjoyed my daily walk (I miss that when I'm at work). The weather here is gorgeous & I have washed & dried a load of washing!  Your cartoons & joke were top notch & really tickled me :laugh:

That was a tricky puzzle but I got there in the end.  I wondered why her name was Skippy for ages :laugh:  Then I re-read your hints!
My answers to the bonus questions are
She attended Yale University where she got a PHD in mathematics.
Her rank on retiring from the navy was rear admiral
I'm a bit unsure about the third question.  A computer language for data processors??
I'm a bit stumped on the last double bonus points question ??? I've heard of computers being de-bugged but I presume that's not what you mean.   I'm a proper technophobe :laugh:  

My puzzle is a film.  7, 4, 5. First name of lady in third picture.

For your bonus points can you please name the 2 leading actors in the film & say what distinction one of them received on winning an Oscar for the role.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 04:31:56 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: April 06, 2020, 02:33:47 AM »
Hi Pen,

You have done very well for a technophobe.  I didn't see that word sorry did I? ;)

She was an early champion of machine-independent programs i.e theoretical you could pick up a program written for one machine and it would work on another brand of machine. 

In the last question, the answer was debugging.  Early computers relied on the position of an electrical relay to signify whether a binary digit should be a "0" or "1".  If it got stuck in the wrong position, it stuffed your program.  The original bug was a moth.

Quote from: wikipedia

While she was working on a Mark II Computer at Harvard University in 1947, her associates discovered a moth that was stuck in a relay; the moth impeded the operation of the relay. While neither Hopper nor her crew mentioned the phrase "debugging" in their logs, the case was held as an instance of literal "debugging." For many years, the term bug had been in use in engineering. The remains of the moth can be found in the group's log book at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.

I got the answer to your puzzle.  I will sit on it for the moment but the distinction for your Actress was she was the oldest to win the Best Actress in the Academy Awards and that record still stands.

:-Z :-Z
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: April 06, 2020, 04:43:05 AM »

You have done very well for a technophobe.  I didn't see that word sorry did I? ;)

No I think you must have imagined it Jack :laugh:  I've just re-read my post & I can't see a sorry anywhere >:D

I wonder why they changed it from moth to bug?  Wish I had a better grasp of maths & computer stuff.  Problem is I love my lap top for the purpose it serves but it's workings & programmes don't excite me.  Certainly not in the same way that George Clooney does  ;) >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: April 06, 2020, 06:40:48 PM »
Hi Jack

Back at the coalface.  All quiet on the western front so far.  Had a bit of a thought for a puzzle when I was in the shower this morning & am going to try it out!

This is an memorable event in American history.  10 (5/1/4), 7.  I suspect you'll probably find it a bit easy!
S

For your bonus points please say when & where it took place & also say what myths surround the event :)

Spoke too soon.  Patient just moved our chair barricade to get to our reception desk >:( I'm going to invest in a bell & shout unclean :laugh:

Going to have a little look for something to tickle you!  Back soon...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: April 06, 2020, 08:05:27 PM »
I'm back Jack

A couple of jokes...
Big Yin

The prawn & the crab

& a couple of cartoons.  I have a suspicion I might have used the last one before :-\

I have absolutely no idea what the time is there :laugh:  Our clocks went forward & yours back.  It's probably only about 7pm & I'm wishing you goodnight :-R

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: April 06, 2020, 09:04:07 PM »
I wonder why they changed it from moth to bug? 

I have no idea, Pen.  It might be because it doesn't sound as good as this ditty.  I chased the bug around the room.  I want his blood, he knows I do..
Say it aloud quickly.  It was the earliest one of my father's dad jokes that I can remember.

While I am into random musings, although I am a strong advocate of an Australian republic, it doesn't prevent me from being an ardent admirer of Queen Elizabeth.  That was a great public broadcast.

Blue heard his neighbour drongo (he’s not very bright) whooping and hollering.

"What's the matter, Drongo?" Blue asked.

"Nothing at all, mate. I just finished a jigsaw puzzle in record time!" Drongo beamed.

"How long did it take you?"

"Well, the box said '3 to 5 Years' but I did it in a month!"

The challenge is the name of a 1976 American western romantic comedy film.  3 7 3 3 9( 4 5) 3

The & the    

Bonus Questions: 
1.   What is Bluebird’s profession?
2.   What is the name of the leading man’s horse?
3.   Who is the leading actress's real-life partner since 1983?

I’ve just noticed you’ve made a couple of posts, so I will post this and have a look at them.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: April 06, 2020, 09:58:43 PM »
Oh Jack I can remember watching this film at the pictures many many moons ago!  That was in the days when you could sit through the film (sometimes films!) as many times as you liked & a lady came round with a torch & a tray of ice cream :laugh:
I wont name it in case anybody else wants to have a crack at it.
I'll hopefully earn a bonus point or 2
Bluebird's occupation is a burlesque dancer & prostitute.
The leading man's horse is called Blackjack.
The leading lady's real life partner since 1983 is Kurt Russell.

It's only just lunchtime here - been a long morning :-Y Hopefully it might be nearly bedtime for you & I can properly wish you night night!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: April 06, 2020, 10:03:22 PM »
I have absolutely no idea what the time is there :laugh:  

Well, Pen, there are two ways of doing it.  You can add 9 hours to whatever time you have there and if you go across 24 add a day and subtract 24 or go to our mate google and type "what time is it in Bowral."  It will give you the time, the weather and may even tell you whether Blue is on the toilet or not.  :D

I really enjoyed Billy and David and the cartoons.

The puzzle was very clever.  When?  Seven Score and sixteen years ago on the afternoon of Thursday, November 19, 1863, four and a half months after the Union armies defeated those of the Confederacy at the Battle of Somewhere memorable.  Where?  It is not clear where he delivered the address. Modern scholarship locates the speakers' platform 40 yards (or more) away from the traditional site in Soldiers' National Cemetery at the Soldiers' National Monument, such that it stood entirely within the private, adjacent Evergreen Cemetery.

Despite the prominent place of the speech in the history and popular culture of the United States, its exact wording is disputed. The five known manuscripts of the  Address in his hand differ in a number of details, and also differ from contemporary newspaper reprints of the speech.

I'm not sure whether that answers the question you asked or whether there is something I missed.

Andrew has given me the outline of a puzzle for tomorrow.  I'll have to see if I am clever enough to present it.

Well, your lunch-time must be just about over.  I hope you had a good nosh.

P.S. just saw your post which crossed.  Spot on.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:07:17 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: April 06, 2020, 11:14:26 PM »
My egg sarnie & grapes were very acceptable.  Unfortunately,  I left my crisps at home so I feel a bit shortchanged!

Happy to give you full bonus points Jack.  Nothing missed :)

I did exactly what you said & typed in what time is it in Bowral & you are exactly 9 hours ahead of us.  The weather tomorrow is 15c & rainy.  Wednesday looks a better day with some sun.  It said Blue has been on the toilet for about 20 minutes but he does have a newspaper with him & Sheila's fast asleep in bed :laugh: