Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814202 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3705 on: March 30, 2020, 05:16:23 PM »
Hi Pen,

I'll get this done today before Oil and Balsamic time.

The answer is the English translation of a sculpture by a famous Frenchman (who was most Auguste) depicting an incident in 1347. 3 8 2 6

Bonus points for the full name of the sculptor and two points for a brief description of the incident

Blue tells the weakest jokes.  His latest:

Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump and Angela Merkel are standing at the shore and are trying to impress each other with the accomplishments of their countries.
Putin brags “We have nuclear submarines which can stay under water for six weeks without having to resurface!“.

Trump goes on “Six weeks? That’s nothing. I have the best submarines, they‘re underwater for at least three months!“.

Merkel is about to respond, when a giant steel colossus emerges from the sea. A hatch opens, a black uniform appears – “Heil Hitler! We need Diesel.“

Must go.  You know what time it is.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 05:18:05 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: March 30, 2020, 05:40:39 PM »
  Hi Jack

Your doctor is most unpatriotic, bet you are not drinking tea with you olive oil and balsamic

Carol

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: March 30, 2020, 09:18:09 PM »
Hi Jack

It's a bit odd being at work after my week off! The hospital is strange - really quiet.  I'm working the fracture clinic desk this morning although I only have a couple of x-ray appointments booked.   There are about 5 orthopaedic patients in the waiting room.  All sitting a long way from each other!  We have black & yellow striped tape on the floor round all the receptions to try & keep people at a distance of 6 feet.  Unfortunately people are still approaching the desks.  One of my colleagues suggested something like this to make people take notice >:D

We eventually built a barricade of chairs to preserve a little distance.

I enjoyed your puzzle & am glad you fitted it in before Oil & Balsamic (& sauvignon blanc hopefully) time :)

It took me a little while as I was fixated on buns & rolls for a while!  Your Auguste tip helped.  I got there in the end & offer up this

The Auguste gent is Rodin.
It tells the story of the siege of Calais in 1347, during the Hundred Years War. Calais had been surrounded by English soldiers under King Edward III for about a year.

I thought I'd stick with things French & give you a landmark.  This may be a bit easy but it popped into my head.  2 words 6/6.

I'll try & make the bonus a little trickier. 
Who is it named after?  What is his connection to another famous landmark on the other side of the Atlantic?  Can you name the french sculptor who designed it? (he is also Auguste!)

The way things are going you might need to give me an alarm call this afternoon :laugh:

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: March 31, 2020, 04:24:10 AM »
 Hi Pen,

I guess the reason the Fracture clinic is so quiet is that the theatres are shut and there is no one to tell the actors to break a leg.

Full marks for my puzzle.

I twigged your puzzle immediately without google but I have had enormous enjoyment doing the research to earn bonus points.

The structure is named after the engineer Gustave What’s his name, whose company designed and built the.structure.

Architect   Stephen Sauvestre
Structural engineer   Maurice Koechlin Émile Nouguier
Main contractor   Compagnie des Etablissements What’s his name

Some interesting facts:

During cold weather, the structure shrinks by about six inches. I can empathise with that.

Victor Lustig, a con artist, "sold" the structure for scrap metal on two separate occasions.

The other structure:

The Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World; French: La Liberté éclairant le monde) is a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor in New York, in the United States. The copper statue, a gift from the people of France to the people of the United States, was designed by French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi and its metal framework was built by Gustave Whats his name. The statue was dedicated on October 28, 1886.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:04:31 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: March 31, 2020, 06:18:41 AM »
Hi Jack

Top bonus points :)  Glad you had fun doing the research.  Your shrinkage comment made me chuckle :laugh:   I think it's possible your broken leg joke might have whiskers :laugh:

The bit about Victor Lustig trying to sell it really tickled me!

Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: March 31, 2020, 02:54:02 PM »
Hi Pen,

One way to tell the time.

The puzzle today is a sitter. It is the codename for arguably the most important battle of WWII  9 8

Bonus questions:

What is the short description of the day the battle started and what was the date?
What was the 1962 movie that many believe was the best movie about the battle?
What was the 1998 movie that had such graphic scenes of part of the battle that some veterans who watched it suffered PTSD?
What was the association of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony with the battle?

Have Fun!  >:D

The seven -by-many opens up in 5 minutes, so I must be off.  The competition in this isolation hell-hole is intense.  ;)
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: April 01, 2020, 01:14:43 AM »
Hi Jack

The little cartoon 'one way to tell the time' made my colleague & I roar with laughter :laugh:

I found your puzzle very interesting.  I presume we're talking about D-Day which was launched on 6th June 1944. 
The 2 films are The Longest Day & Saving Private Ryan.  I've seen the first but never plucked up the courage to watch the latter. 
I've done a bit of research on Beethoven's 5th & found this -
"During World War II, the opening motif of Beethoven's 5th Symphony became a powerful symbol for the Allied forces. The short-short-short-long rhythmic pattern corresponded in Morse code to the letter 'V' for Victory, which was an acknowledged symbol of the war effort, most famously made by Winston Churchill forming a 'V' with the first and second fingers of his raised right hand."
and then this...
"During World War II, the opening motif of Beethoven's 5th Symphony became a powerful symbol for the Allied forces. ... The song was broadcast on Radio-Londres, most influentially on 1 June 1944, when the Allied forces sent the first messages to France to prepare for attack." 
Interestingly, my former father in law took part in The Normandy Landings.  He was a few days short of his 20th birthday.  His best friend, who was beside him in the landing craft, was sadly killed.  He himself still has the shrapnel in his body from where he was shot.  It's always been deemed too dangerous to remove it.  He's still going strong - the last time Zoe saw him (before lockdown) he was planning what veggies he was going to plant!

I think my brain's slowing up from lack of use >:D  I was a bit short of an original idea so my puzzle is a classic film.  4 words 2, 5, 1, 5.  The first picture is a bit of a red herring to try & make it a little trickier!
a

For your bonus points please name the 2 stars of the film.  What was the leading actors real name?  Which iconic film role did our leading actress turn down?

I thought you might enjoy a small Simon's Cat.  Apologies if I've posted in before!
Let Me In!

Nearly home time :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: April 01, 2020, 01:21:10 AM »
ps just notice that you & Andrew both have rosettes on the 7-by-many :)  Brilliant!  I never do very well with this puzzle :( though I do have a bash at it most days.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: April 01, 2020, 04:07:50 AM »
Hi Pen,

You can thank Andrew for the time snippet.  He saw it on Twitter .

What a brilliant piece of research. I am glad you enjoyed it. Your former f-I-l must be a battler. If I’ve got my arithmetic right, he must be 96.

I must be getting more on your wavelength. For the second time in a row I got your puzzle without google - a rare occurrence. Unfortunately, that’s when I had to start tapping on the keyboard.

The leading man was a pommie named Archibald Alec Leach. The leading woman unusually used her real name although she didn’t use her middle name of Patricia.  She unhesitatingly turned down the opportunity to star alongside Marlon Brando in On the Waterfront (1954). Eva Marie Saint, who replaced her, won an Academy Award for that role. Instead, she committed to the role of Lisa Fremont in Rear Window.  She said, "All through the making of Dial M for Murder, he (Hitchcock) sat and talked to me about Rear Window all the time, even before we had discussed my being in it.

I hadn’t seen that Simon’s cat before.

The list doesn’t tell the whole story of the rosettes. June got her rosette early, Andrew some hours later and although we are adjacent in the list, I got mine a couple of hours later.   They both have theirs in yesterday’s Standard while I still have 2 words to go.

I will think about a new  puzzle when I get home from Ontrac.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:18:53 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: April 01, 2020, 05:27:38 AM »
Hi Jack

Please pass on my thanks to Andrew for the snippet & tell him more please!

Top bonus points for your answers :)  I will have to try & be a bit more devious & come up with something to stretch your little grey cells >:D  Although I have to say that the 3 of you are doing splendidly well in getting rosettes :)  I've been somewhat sluggish lately.

Pleased you hadn't seen Simon's Cat.  I don't know why but they always make me smile - even if I've seen them before :)

I'm going to give my little grey cell a little work out then slump in my armchair.  Why is it that you feel more weary for doing less work?

Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: April 01, 2020, 12:59:51 PM »
Hi Pen,

The two words that I finally got in time were cake and caked.  I was sure I had entered them but it must have been in a previous puzzle.  We oldies are easily confused by such things. ;)

It is not only humans who have to self-isolate.  Andrew found out from Twitter that Toby is also now working from home.

The puzzle today is the name and soubriquet of the last of a long line of Emperors.  5(2 3) 8(4 6): 4 2 5(3 3)

:

of

Hint: Surname in picture 2; name in picture 4.  The numbers in the brackets are the length of the spelling of the sound which is not necessarily how the complete word is spelled.

Bonus questions:

What was his religion?
What was the movement beginning in Jamaica in the 1930s perceived him as a messianic figure?
Who were the biblical king and queen that he claimed as his ancestors?

I’m sorry, Pen but Blue and Sheila are in self-isolation and it may be a while before I can get him to tell me one of his stories.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 01:14:56 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: April 01, 2020, 09:06:15 PM »
Hi Jack

Sorry to hear about Blue & Sheila.  Hope they emerge fit & well in a few weeks!

My compliments on a really clever puzzle :)  I got the first 2 words & thought it was going to be easy & then came unstuck :laugh:  Took me a return visit & a bit of tapping on the keyboard (I got fixated on king instead of lion!) & finally sussed it out.
For my bonus points he was an Ethiopian Orthodox Christian.  It was the Rastafarians who regarded him as a messianic figure.  He claimed to be descended from King Soloman & the Queen of Sheeba.

My puzzle is a fictional character.  2 words. 6, 10 (first name only of gent)

For your bonus can you please name the author who created the character. When & where were they born?  Which 2 actors have portrayed our hero? one on telly & one on film?

Nearly lunchtime :-H  The days are quite slow & it's great to have something to break up the day :laugh:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:09:18 PM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: April 02, 2020, 02:10:39 AM »
For your bonus can you please name the author who created the character. When & where were they born?  Which 2 actors have portrayed our hero? one on telly & one on film?

Our fictional hero has the same first name as the friend and trusted confidant of Hamlet.  His surname reminds me of little boy blue. He was born in Kent.The author on the book has initials C.S.F. but was born with initials C.L.T.S. on 27 August 1899 in Cairo, Egypt .  Who are they?  The actors have initials G.P. (Film) and I.G.(TV).

:-Z :-Z
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: April 02, 2020, 03:11:09 AM »
As an extra bonus, this same author also wrote another novel set during the Napoleonic Wars which was simply called 'The Gun'.

This novel became a 1957 film with a very diferent title and featured three of the biggest stars of the time.

Name of the movie and its three main stars please.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: April 02, 2020, 05:14:03 AM »
I'm not going to attempt to answer this now Mike.  I'll leave it until tomorrow & see if Jack fancies a crack at it ;)
Thanks for throwing in the extra bonus question by the way.