Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814589 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3690 on: March 29, 2020, 11:51:30 PM »
Oh Linda I think there's no doubt we were separated at birth :laugh:  I have a boring chicken & mushroom pie tonight.  How I was I was having tea with you - Cumberland sausage & mash :-H  Heaven >:D
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: March 30, 2020, 12:03:19 AM »
My previous job was in the home wares department of a small department store and as much as possible I kept to the cook shop area as serving customers in the linen section could be stressful.People would ask for a duvet but when you approached the pile of boxes they would get cross

I look at this post and realise that it is a good job that I am approaching retirement(not fast enough however)as my patience is obviously wearing very thin these days!!

Oh Christine working with the general public can be very stressful.  Quite understand why you would prefer home wares to bedding. I spent almost 30 years in a building society which turned into a bank.  Now work in a hospital.  Folks can be rude & thoughtless unfortunately - even when you're trying to help them.  My patience started wearing thin some time ago!  Though my daughter & people who know me well would probably say I didn't have much to start with :laugh:

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: March 30, 2020, 12:10:07 AM »
My previous job was in the home wares department of a small department store

Beales? 

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: March 30, 2020, 12:10:33 AM »

Love your puzzles and  I also have trouble with the celeb pictures

I usually work backwards and get most right or else it is Mr Google

Back to the Sauv blanc buying by the case now got to help local industry

Pleased you enjoy the puzzles Carol.  Like you I sometimes start backwards or I solve one picture & try & build round it.  What did we do before we had Mr Google? :laugh:

Pleased your supporting local industry!  Can't think a better way of doing it >:D

Pen

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: March 30, 2020, 12:11:18 AM »
Pen, my only dilemma is whether to have beans or a fried egg with it!  Decisions, decisions!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: March 30, 2020, 12:32:34 AM »
Why not have both Linda >:D   Push the boat out!!  If you have to chose I would prefer beans with mash & fried egg with chips.
penx

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: March 30, 2020, 12:44:34 AM »
You're right, Pen!  Beans it is.  Anyway, I just remembered that I had scrambled eggs for lunch so I don't want to be egg bound!!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: March 30, 2020, 01:17:15 AM »
Hi Jack

Thanks for the article explaining the doona.  One thing I did find quite interesting was that duvets were also know as continental quilts here as well.  Not sure when they changed to duvets.  Not sure if it's because they were on the continent before they found their way here!  Although having said that when I've been on holiday most of the hotels seem to have sheets & blankets.  Especially in France.

I'm sure I've mentioned visiting elderly relies in Oxford (sadly not at the moment).  Before they downsized to a flat they used to be near neighbours of Colin Dexter.  They say he lived in the same house for donkeys years.  He was friendly & happy & a nice ordinary chap.

For my offering today I've moved into children's books.  Don't think this will cause you any problems!  It's 6 words.  3, 4, 2, 6, 7, 6. First name of gent in picture 4.
Theof

For your bonus points please name the author & the name & place of her home.  (Linda & Christine will be able to help you with that ;))

Hope these tickle you! (the last one's for Carol >:D  the wine's the wrong colour!)

Going to venture out for a small stroll.  Sunny but cold & very windy so don't think I'll get far!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:20:33 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: March 30, 2020, 01:22:59 AM »
You're right, Pen!  Beans it is.  Anyway, I just remembered that I had scrambled eggs for lunch so I don't want to be egg bound!!  >:D

That would never do Linda - very uncomfortable :laugh:  Heinz your bean of choice?  I don't mind a Branston bean for a change!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: March 30, 2020, 01:48:29 AM »
Always Heinz, Pen.  I don't actually eat many beans and when I do I like them cold, preferably from the fridge!  I know, I'm a strange fish!!  >:D

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: March 30, 2020, 02:07:17 AM »
Yes Linda it was Beales. I escaped nearly 18 months ago as soon as I heard about the last management buy out as I foresaw the consequences. I love the new job  as it is a place that makes people happy and we have very few moaning minnies! Hopefully it will survive this enforced closure.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: March 30, 2020, 04:48:06 AM »
Hi Pen,

I’m glad I didn’t promise a post before I went to bed as I got a bit enthusiastic with the red over dinner and slept like a baby for six hours..  

I thought I’d log on and share a paragraph from this morning’s SMH.  You probably have guessed that I subscribe to SMH electronically so it is available shortly after Midnight. Read it aloud.

"I’m nervous nowadays when people cough near me," says Paul Keir of Concord. "I know they can’t help it, but I would be much more comfortable if they would far cough."

I was surprised and pleased to such a lot of activity.  I thought I would catch up with the posts later today but I made the mistake of looking at your puzzle and I got hooked (no pun intended).  So an hour later and I can tell you this

“ {the answer} is a children's book, written and illustrated by {the author}. It was published by Frederick Warne & Co. in July 1906. {The hero’s} origin lies in a letter she wrote to a child in 1893. She revised it in 1906, and moved its setting from the River Tay to the English Lake District. The tale reflects her love for the Lake District.

{The hero} is a frog.

I have run out of one of my medications and so I have doctor’s appointment to get a new prescription at 8:30 so I must get back to  :-Z.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:55:36 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: March 30, 2020, 05:15:22 AM »
That really tickled me Jack.  I read it out loud as instructed & then burst out laughing!

Several bonus points winging your way :)  An extra one for the pun :-R

Going to have a quick search for a few words then slump in front of the box with the dregs of last night's pink :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: March 30, 2020, 05:22:24 AM »
  I don't actually eat many beans and when I do I like them cold, preferably from the fridge!  I know, I'm a strange fish!!  >:D

You might be a strange fish Linda but there's nowt wrong with cold beans!  My mum always put some on a salad.  Mind you when I was a kid I wouldn't eat any green veg apart from peas.  I had beans with almost everything :laugh:   Don't know as I'd fancy them cold from the fridge though.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: March 30, 2020, 12:16:31 PM »
Back to the Sauv blanc buying by the case now got to help local industry

Hi Carol,

Apart from getting prescriptions from the doctor this morning, I had to discuss the results of a blood test I had on Friday.  They were all good except for the ones associated with liver function which were slightly elevated over last year's results.

He said it could be the medication I am on or it could be alcohol.  Did I have a drink? I had to admit I did but I gave him your excuse for why I drank.  He didn't buy it. >:D
Regards, Jack