Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814356 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3675 on: March 27, 2020, 06:11:08 AM »
Hi Pen,

I Fancy that at this time of Day that I would feel a Dick if I didn’t know Donald Duck’s second nephew was named Dewy. Still I would crack Hardy about it.

Ontrac at 8, so must go.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: March 27, 2020, 06:28:52 AM »
Brilliant Jack :)  I couldn't find the picture I wanted to say that I can't pull the wool over your eyes so you'll have to make do with this!

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: March 27, 2020, 02:25:37 PM »
Hi Pen,

At this stage, it looks like our move has been put on hold for some time.  The Government has banned open house viewings and the newspapers are predicting a drop in house prices of up to 20%.  Luckily, we have no pressure to sell except the desire to escape the cold winter, but we may have to put up with another one here.  One advantage in preparing the house for sale it has improved its liveability.

There is a rumour going around that on Sunday the Prime Minister will announce a complete shut down to last four weeks.

But that’s enough serious stuff.

Well that was still a bit serious, how about

Blue loves his dad, Wazza, and his mum, Matilda but he is not one to go out of his way to show affection and so he hasn’t been in contact with them since Wazza and Matilda moved to Brisbane to get away from the cold in Bowral.   Blue even loves his sister, Mabel, who is a real tartar.

So, Blue was surprised when Wazza phones him and says, "I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing, fifty-five years of misery is enough."

"Dad, what the bloody hell are you talking about?" Blue screams.

"We can't stand the sight of each other any longer, “Wazza says.

"We're sick of each other, and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call Mabel and tell her," and he hangs up.

Frantic, the Blue calls Mabel, who explodes on the phone. "Like buggery, they're getting divorced," she shouts, "I'll take care of this." She calls Brisbane immediately, and screams at Wazza, "You are NOT getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?" and hangs up.

Wazza hangs up his phone and turns to Matilda. "Okay," he says, "They're coming for Mother’s Day and paying their own fares.  Now what do we tell them for Christmas?”

I need a bit more time to work out a challenge and so with a bit of luck I’ll be back later.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: March 27, 2020, 09:34:28 PM »
Hi Again Pen,

The challenge tonight is a well-known Australian expression which if you don’t know it might tell you the chance of you solving the problem 7’1 3 4.

But that might be unfair, although you present me with very English puzzles from time to time, so I will give an alternative UK orientated puzzle which means approximately the same thing 6’1 6

’s &

’s

The bonus points are awarded for giving a feasible back story on how either or both expressions arose.  There is some contention so I will accept any that has a reasonable chance of being true.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: March 28, 2020, 03:59:24 AM »
Hi Jack

I was sorry to read that your house move is on the back burner for the time being. A great pity.  

On the plus side I loved your cartoons & pictures :laugh:  Wazza is more devious than Blue I've decided >:D

After a fair bit of head scratching I eventually solved your puzzle :laugh: (the Aussie section - the English one was easy peasy ;D)
I found this in Wiki which hopefully will earn me a bonus point!
A reference to William Buckley (1780–1856), a convict who escaped in Victoria in 1803 and lived among the Aborigines there for 30 years (survival in the bush was reckoned no chance).

I'll see your Australian expression & raise you an English one ;)  It's 5 words. 4, 2, 3, 3, 5.
Athe
For your bonus can you say how the expression came about please.

I'd better get out in that kitchen & rattle those pots & pans :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: March 28, 2020, 07:20:07 AM »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: March 28, 2020, 03:21:38 PM »
Hi Pen,

Our real estate consequences of the coronavirus are inconsequential compared with those of our age group who are contracting it and those of any age who are losing their jobs or facing immediate financial hardship.  So, we are not feeling sorry for ourselves.

You get one bonus point for your back story on Buckley’s and None.  The Macquarie Dictionary supports your theory, although the ANU Australian National Dictionary Centre tends to support a second theory that the expression was a pun on the name of a now-defunct Melbourne department store chain, Buckley & Nunn, which I would have also accepted.

But you missed out on a point by not telling me about Hobson.  This is the back story of Hobson’s Choice

Did I tell you about the first time Blue went to consult Dr. Quack?

Dr Quack: “Do you have any medical history?”

Blue: “Not much, I know Alexander Fleming discovered Penicillin”

Dr Quack:  “Do you drink alcoholic drinks and how much?”

Blue:  “I drink beer at $6 a schooner

Dr Quack (impatiently): “O.K., just tell me what brought you here

Blue: “An ambulance, of course.”

After the Examination:

Dr Quack: “Do you want the good news or the bad news”?.

Blue: “Give me the good news first”.

Dr Quack: "You’re about to have a new exotic disease named after you."

I am working on a challenge but

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: March 28, 2020, 05:17:02 PM »
Hi again Pen,

Today’s puzzle (March 28) names a biography and its well-known author.  5 3 2 8 5.

by  

The puzzle should be relatively easy, but I hope you find the research to answer these bonus questions interesting.

1.   What significant event in the life of the author occurred on this date nearly 80 years ago.
2.   What is the name of the county town where the event happened.
3.   Which wife of Henry VIII had a house there?  It is a museum now unfortunately temporarily closed because of the coronavirus.

I am chief chef tonight – barbecued fillet roast- so

I must .
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:56:57 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: March 29, 2020, 04:17:58 AM »
Hi Jack

The lovely sunny weather we've enjoyed this week has gone.  It is very cold & windy here today.  We had a short walk but were driven back indoors in search of a warming cup of builders tea :)

As you rightly said I solved the puzzle fairly easily.  You were also right that I found searching for the answers to the bonus questions interesting.
Hope I have the correct answers!
1.  The author took her own life on 28th March 1941. She filled her pocket with stones & walked into the River Ouse.  She had suffered depression on   & off for many years. The onset of WW2 & the poor reception of the above mentioned biography helped to make her condition worse. The letter she left her husband, Leonard, is very poignant.
2.  The county town is Lewes, East Sussex.  The couple lived at Monks House in Rodmell, Sussex.
3.  Anne of Cleves House is now a museum. It is a timber framed Wealden hall house.  She never actually visited the house which she got as part of her divorce settlement from Henry VIII.

Phew think I'm the one that needs a nap now :-Y  Little grey cell is worn out :laugh:

My puzzle is a detective book.  4 words.  4, 3, 2, 9 (4/5)  I think you'll find this a little easy!

For your bonus points can you name the college attended by the author & what he studied there.  A trickier question!  What was our author's "favourite place on earth" & why?

Here's a few silly random cartoons before I scarper to the kitchen!

Cumberland sausages & chips are calling me :-H
I tired to find a Jamie Oliver to match your Gordon Ramsey but failed!
It's a bit naughty but this did tickle me :laugh:

Here's Gordon anyway >:D  Not a swear word in sight!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: March 29, 2020, 05:54:42 AM »
Hi Pen,

I guess you won’t be doing anything between 1.00 am and 2.00 am (your) tomorrow morning. ;)

Your posts are invariably of high standard, but I thought the one that I just received was one of your best. Double bonus points for the depth of your research. Your cartoons were particularly amusing and I learnt something new from your puzzle.  I had to solve the whole to work out the relevance of the last picture.  I hadn’t heard of that description of neckwear before. If I wasn’t huddled under the doona I suspect I would be the one holding the fork in your “naughty” meme.  :D

Now to the author. He went to the Saviour’s College and he would have been quite familiar with the bridge over the River Cam.  His favourite place on earth is Lyme Regis.  Apparently the reason is explained in a 2010 article in the Telegraph which every time I try to open on my iPad is blocked by an ad asking me to subscribe..  I’ll look at this further when I get on a proper computer later in the day
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: March 29, 2020, 06:42:43 AM »
Thanks for that Jack :-*  I'm never sure if my puzzles are a bit easy for you.  As you have said before some days it's easy to knock up a post & other times inspiration just doesn't strike when you want it!  It's great to know you enjoy them on the whole :)
You've obviously not watched much Regency Period Dramas >:D
Accessories
Am I correct in thinking a doona is a duvet? :laugh:

Anyway perfect solution to the puzzle & full bonus awarded :)  I do like to get the Telegraph as I enjoy the cryptic crossword.  Their website is a pain in the neck as you can't read much of it without a subscription :(  Very irritating!

I'm full to my brim with sausages & chips & baked beans!  I'm going to give my little grey cell a small work out then slump in front of the telly with a nice glass of chilled pinot noir rose :) (sorry about that >:D)
Also contemplate my missing hour in bed :(

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:09:50 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: March 29, 2020, 03:15:09 PM »
I'm never sure if my puzzles are a bit easy for you.  It's great to know you enjoy them on the whole :)

You've obviously not watched much Regency Period Dramas >:D

Am I correct in thinking a doona is a duvet? :laugh:

Hi again Pen,

I remember addressing the degree of difficulty in a post to Carol.

“One of the problems with these challenges is that if you make it too hard, by being overly cryptic or not giving enough clues to save people going in unproductive directions and wasting their time, it defeats the purpose.  Making it too easy also defeats the purpose. Finding the middle ground can be quite difficult but feedback always helps.”

When I first started the puzzles, I tried to make them difficult but now if anything I prefer to err on the side of easy.  As the main objective is to have fun, gently exercise the brain and perhaps to learn something new or remember something that you have forgotten, my idea of the perfect puzzle is one that on average takes about 15 minutes to work out.  As with cryptic crosswords, sometimes if you get on the setter’s wavelength, you can see the answer immediately, if not it can take you all day if you get it at all.

I do enjoy your puzzles, cartoons, and jokes very much but I only rarely comment because I don’t like to make my posts formulaic.  If I had a wish, it would be that some of our friends would throw in the odd puzzle.

You have hit the nail on the head about Regency Period Dramas.  It is one of my many areas of ignorance which include film stars, films, pop stars, pop music, etc., etc.  Fortunately, I can cover up a lot of this ignorance with the help of Google.  One point on the Early Regency Period, when Englishmen were prancing around in foppish gear, in Australia prison stripes were the fashion. >:D

This answers your question on Duvets

Although you awarded full marks, I found these excerpts from the Telegraph interesting and so I include them.  

My favourite place on Earth has to be Lyme Regis. By the time I was 16 I'd read all but one of Hardy's novels – he wrote 17 in all: I'm leaving the last one for my dotage. I was fascinated by Hardy and Wessex, and Lyme Regis, of course, is in the heart of what they call "Hardy Country".

I fell in love with the Dorset seaside town the first time I visited it many years ago and decided to incorporate it in a novel someday. So, my wife and I duly spent a wonderful week in a local hotel – The Bay, which has now gone, to be replaced by a Thai restaurant – with a room overlooking Lyme Bay.

I eventually worked the town into a Morse novel, The Way Through the Woods. I remember telling my publisher at the time to turn to that section because I thought it was the best bit in the book, and the dear girl, who I admired enormously, said she agreed with me but then suggested I leave it out "and got on with the story". That rather saddened me – but I didn't take any notice.

When I visit Lyme, I don't do anything much. I just like sitting by the sea at a table, preferably one that has alcohol on it, watching people go by and looking out over the bay. The most athletic thing I'll probably do is dip a toe in the sea.

I was going to do a puzzle on golf and UK Royalty but it defeated me but I will let you into the bonus questions.

Who banned golf so the commoners would get back to Archery practice?  James II of Scotland.

What was the relationship of James IV of Scotland to James I of England?  Grandfather.  It makes sense if you remember James I was also James VI of Scotland

What wife of Henry VIII should have been a golfer?   Catherine Parr   :D

King James IV of Scotland (1473-1513) was a man of many talents. He inherited the Scottish throne at the age of fifteen and unified the outlying areas of his kingdom by force of arms. He practiced dentistry and founded the Royal College of Surgeons in Scotland, many years ahead of that in England. He introduced compulsory education, requiring large landowners to educate their sons by sending them to one of the universities at St Andrews, Glasgow or Aberdeen. Yet, his most lasting legacy is probably that, in 1502, he decided that the threat of war with England had receded sufficiently to lift the long-standing ban on golf, imposed to encourage archery practice. (He also realised cannon were going to replace bows and therefore archery practice was no longer as important as it once was).

Its Sauvignon Blanc, olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar time.  One must keep up one’s customs even in these virus-ridden times.  No promises, but I will try to post a puzzle before I go to bed.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:52:12 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: March 29, 2020, 06:37:37 PM »
Hi Pen and Jack

Love your puzzles and  I also have trouble with the celeb pictures

I usually work backwards and get most right or else it is Mr Google

Would post a puzzle but I tried once and made a right pigs ear so gave up

Keep up the good work

Back to the Sauv blanc buying by the case now got to help local industry

carol

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: March 29, 2020, 08:46:29 PM »
 My previous job was in the home wares department of a small department store and as much as possible I kept to the cook shop area as serving customers in the linen section could be stressful.People would ask for a duvet but when you approached the pile of boxes they would get cross and start saying "No! A duvet!" and so you assumed they meant a duvet cover and veered towards those but then we had the tricky conversation about the size of their bed - so many have no idea! Much easier to sort out a spoon or a set of crockery!
I look at this post and realise that it is a good job that I am approaching retirement(not fast enough however)as my patience is obviously wearing very thin these days!!

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: March 29, 2020, 09:27:30 PM »
Cumberland sausages & chips are calling me

Yet again, Pen, we think alike.  I am looking forward to my Cumberlands this evening but think I'll go for mash instead of chips ... buttery, peppery mash, of course!  >:D