Help
lexigame.com the home of unique word games

Lexigame Community
March 28, 2020, 09:46:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246]
  Print  
Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 229762 times)
Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #3675 on: March 26, 2020, 08:48:42 PM »

Hi Jack
The answer to the riddle is man Smiley
I don't know what it's like there but we've had a massive problem with people panic buying & hoarding stuff.  

Hi Pen,

Full marks again.

Actually, the situation you describe also applies to Germany according to one of my e-mail correspondents.  He said that there has been a huge run on sausages and cheese in supermarkets throughout Germany - a wurst käse scenario.

These urinals suit me  Wink.

The easy bit of the challenge tonight is the identifying first line of a non-sense poem.  3 3 3 3 5-3 4 2 3

The & the 2 C

You only need the verb in the last picture.

The bonus point is for naming and describing the piece of cutlery the Bride and Groom used when they dined on mince, and slices of quince.  

It’s time to put the chooks to bed.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:10:28 PM by Ozzyjack » Logged

Cheers, Jack

"Worry is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere," - Erma Bombeck.
Hobbit
Glossologian

Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England

View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: Yesterday at 03:07:16 AM »

Hi Jack

An entertaining & very funny post laugh  We both enjoyed it.  Forgot to say you got top marks for Zoe's Oedipus Rex challenge!
Zoe advises me that the cutlery used by the bride & groom in the poem was this...

She has suggested today's puzzle.  It's a 19th century novel.  4 words.  5, 3, 9, 4.
the
For your bonus can you name the author please & the name of the couple who become romantically entangled.

I can't match your brilliant dog rounding up the chooks - love that Smiley

So I'll sidle out gracefully laugh

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:09:19 AM by Hobbit » Logged
Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: Yesterday at 05:11:08 AM »

Hi Pen,

I Fancy that at this time of Day that I would feel a Dick if I didn’t know Donald Duck’s second nephew was named Dewy. Still I would crack Hardy about it.

Ontrac at 8, so must go.

Cheers, Jack

"Worry is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere," - Erma Bombeck.
Hobbit
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: Yesterday at 05:28:52 AM »

Brilliant Jack Smiley  I couldn't find the picture I wanted to say that I can't pull the wool over your eyes so you'll have to make do with this!

Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: Yesterday at 01:25:37 PM »

Hi Pen,

At this stage, it looks like our move has been put on hold for some time.  The Government has banned open house viewings and the newspapers are predicting a drop in house prices of up to 20%.  Luckily, we have no pressure to sell except the desire to escape the cold winter, but we may have to put up with another one here.  One advantage in preparing the house for sale it has improved its liveability.

There is a rumour going around that on Sunday the Prime Minister will announce a complete shut down to last four weeks.

But that’s enough serious stuff.

Well that was still a bit serious, how about

Blue loves his dad, Wazza, and his mum, Matilda but he is not one to go out of his way to show affection and so he hasn’t been in contact with them since Wazza and Matilda moved to Brisbane to get away from the cold in Bowral.   Blue even loves his sister, Mabel, who is a real tartar.

So, Blue was surprised when Wazza phones him and says, "I hate to ruin your day, but I have to tell you that your mother and I are divorcing, fifty-five years of misery is enough."

"Dad, what the bloody hell are you talking about?" Blue screams.

"We can't stand the sight of each other any longer, “Wazza says.

"We're sick of each other, and I'm sick of talking about this, so you call Mabel and tell her," and he hangs up.

Frantic, the Blue calls Mabel, who explodes on the phone. "Like buggery, they're getting divorced," she shouts, "I'll take care of this." She calls Brisbane immediately, and screams at Wazza, "You are NOT getting divorced. Don't do a single thing until I get there. I'm calling my brother back, and we'll both be there tomorrow. Until then, don't do a thing, DO YOU HEAR ME?" and hangs up.

Wazza hangs up his phone and turns to Matilda. "Okay," he says, "They're coming for Mother’s Day and paying their own fares.  Now what do we tell them for Christmas?”

I need a bit more time to work out a challenge and so with a bit of luck I’ll be back later.

Cheers, Jack

Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: Yesterday at 08:34:28 PM »

Hi Again Pen,

The challenge tonight is a well-known Australian expression which if you don’t know it might tell you the chance of you solving the problem 7’1 3 4.

But that might be unfair, although you present me with very English puzzles from time to time, so I will give an alternative UK orientated puzzle which means approximately the same thing 6’1 6

’s &

’s

The bonus points are awarded for giving a feasible back story on how either or both expressions arose.  There is some contention so I will accept any that has a reasonable chance of being true.

Cheers, Jack

Hobbit
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: Today at 02:59:24 AM »

Hi Jack

I was sorry to read that your house move is on the back burner for the time being. A great pity.  

On the plus side I loved your cartoons & pictures laugh  Wazza is more devious than Blue I've decided Demon

After a fair bit of head scratching I eventually solved your puzzle laugh (the Aussie section - the English one was easy peasy Grin)
I found this in Wiki which hopefully will earn me a bonus point!
A reference to William Buckley (1780–1856), a convict who escaped in Victoria in 1803 and lived among the Aborigines there for 30 years (survival in the bush was reckoned no chance).

I'll see your Australian expression & raise you an English one Wink  It's 5 words. 4, 2, 3, 3, 5.
Athe
For your bonus can you say how the expression came about please.

I'd better get out in that kitchen & rattle those pots & pans Hungry

Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: Today at 06:20:07 AM »

Hi Pen,

I slept in.

Is it this one if the last word was a plural

Cheers, Jack

Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: Today at 02:21:38 PM »

Hi Pen,

Our real estate consequences of the coronavirus are inconsequential compared with those of our age group who are contracting it and those of any age who are losing their jobs or facing immediate financial hardship.  So, we are not feeling sorry for ourselves.

You get one bonus point for your back story on Buckley’s and None.  The Macquarie Dictionary supports your theory, although the ANU Australian National Dictionary Centre tends to support a second theory that the expression was a pun on the name of a now-defunct Melbourne department store chain, Buckley & Nunn, which I would have also accepted.

But you missed out on a point by not telling me about Hobson.  This is the back story of Hobson’s Choice

Did I tell you about the first time Blue went to consult Dr. Quack?

Dr Quack: “Do you have any medical history?”

Blue: “Not much, I know Alexander Fleming discovered Penicillin”

Dr Quack:  “Do you drink alcoholic drinks and how much?”

Blue:  “I drink beer at $6 a schooner

Dr Quack (impatiently): “O.K., just tell me what brought you here

Blue: “An ambulance, of course.”

After the Examination:

Dr Quack: “Do you want the good news or the bad news”?.

Blue: “Give me the good news first”.

Dr Quack: "You’re about to have a new exotic disease named after you."

I am working on a challenge but

Cheers, Jack

Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: Today at 04:17:02 PM »

Hi again Pen,

Today’s puzzle (March 28) names a biography and its well-known author.  5 3 2 8 5.

by  

The puzzle should be relatively easy, but I hope you find the research to answer these bonus questions interesting.

1.   What significant event in the life of the author occurred on this date nearly 80 years ago.
2.   What is the name of the county town that the event happened
3.   Which wife of Henry VIII had a house there?  It is a museum now unfortunately temporarily closed because of the coronavirus.

I am chief chef tonight – barbecued fillet roast- so

I must .
« Last Edit: Today at 04:19:25 PM by Ozzyjack » Logged

Cheers, Jack

Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246]
  Print  

Jump to: