Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814309 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3630 on: March 16, 2020, 02:04:54 AM »
I'm back Jack.

Now I'm properly fed & watered I can give your very excellent post my full attention :)
It certainly cheered up a wet & dreary Sunday afternoon.

Would the Clive James book be the second part of his Unreliable Memoirs?  I did make a cack handed attempt to pronounce Mamungkukumpurangkuntjunya ;D  I could possibly claim half a bonus point!

Perhaps you'd like to give this one a try? >:D  It seems to have more than it's fair share of the letter L :laugh:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (Llanfair PG for short) is a small, quiet town on the island of Anglesey off the northwest coast of North Wales, famous for having the longest place name in an English-speaking country.

My puzzle is an old tune sung by Perry Como.  5, 1, 7, 4.

a
The last picture is there for 2 reasons.  The first is to be a bit of a red kipper as I thought the puzzle far too easy & the second I just wanted an excuse to use the picture ;)
For your bonus can you name what was on the B side of the record?

A Jumbojet was coming into London Heathrow after a long-haul trip from Singapore and the captain opened the intercom and said 'Ladies and gentlemen we are now making our final approach into Heathrow, we hope you've enjoyed flying with RarelyCrash Airways and that we'll see you again soon, please have a safe onward journey' at which point he forgot to turn the intercom off. He turned to the co-pilot and said 'well Roger what plans do you have for the rest of the day?' the co-pilot replied 'My wife will be at the hotel, Mike, and she's got seats booked for a West-End show, I don't know which one, what plans do you have?' The cabin crew and passengers meanwhile are quite enjoying this change from the norm. The captain continued 'as you know my divorce was finalised last week so I'll be taking a long soak in the bath before ordering dinner in my room. I'm thinking that after that I'll call the pretty new blonde stewardess working upstairs, Susanne I think her name is, and take her out for a drink then take her back to my room and give her a damn good seeing to' At that moment the passengers cheered loudly and in the upper deck Susanne realised the intercom was still on by accident and she had to get downstairs and let them know. She ran up the aisle and tripped headlong over an old ladys handbag which was poking out into the aisle. The old lady looked down at the spread-eagled young woman and said 'there's no need to hurry love, he's going to have a bath first'

It's stopped raining so
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: March 16, 2020, 02:11:50 AM »
I've scoffed my egg sarnie with a cup of builders :laugh:

Thank heavens for google.

SCOFF: -verb- past tense: scoffed; past participle: scoffed

speak to someone or about something in a scornfully derisive or mocking way.

"Patrick professed to scoff at soppy love scenes in films"

The verb scoff {food} is even older, perhaps of Scandinavian origin. The origin supposedly being an older Dutch word schaffen meaning to prepare a table for dinner or decorating food on plates before being served at a table.

SARNIE: British. A sandwich: Probably originally Army, since the early 20th century; in later 20th century more generally colloquial. Cf. synonyms Australian sammo, sanger.

CUP OF BUILDERS: Builder's tea, also known as a builder's brew, is a British English colloquial term for a strong cup of tea. ... A builder's tea is typically brewed in a mug (as opposed to loose tea leaves in a teapot), with a small amount of milk added after either stirring the tea or leaving it to stand and infuse.

Just pulling your leg, Pen. >:D

Tea, Coffee, OK but I prefer my Sarnies with a beer. ;)
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: March 16, 2020, 02:37:46 AM »
I'm back too, Pen.

Great cartoons. Full marks on my puzzle.

I didn't even try to pronounce that welsh name. Welsh is all Greek to me.  ;)

I think I could name what was on the B (flip) side of the record but that would be the answer to your puzzle.  My info is the A side was "Magic Moments".

Golf in the Morning so

« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:40:19 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: March 16, 2020, 03:16:10 AM »
Mayo is ok but just not the same.

Presactly!  Heinz salad cream .... mmm!  >:D

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: March 16, 2020, 06:23:15 AM »
Spot on Linda - accept no imitations :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: March 16, 2020, 06:37:19 AM »
You do tickle me Jack :laugh:
You are of course correct about Magic Moments.
I'm going to give my brain cell a small work out then flop in front of the box.  Courtesy of my friend Eve I've discovered a new programme call Macdonald & Dodds.  I didn't watch when it was on so I have to watch it on catch up which is a pain because you can't whiz through the adverts.  It's a police drama set in Bath.  To say it's a downmarket Inspector Morse wouldn't really do it justice but I enjoyed the first episode anyway :)

Happy Golfing &

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: March 16, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »

CUP OF BUILDERS: Builder's tea, also known as a builder's brew, is a British English colloquial term for a strong cup of tea. ... A builder's tea is typically brewed in a mug (as opposed to loose tea leaves in a teapot), with a small amount of milk added after either stirring the tea or leaving it to stand and infuse.

As they used to say in Yorkshire, it was 'tea you could trot a mouse on'.

I've discovered a new programme call Macdonald & Dodds.  .  It's a police drama set in Bath.  To say it's a downmarket Inspector Morse wouldn't really do it justice but I enjoyed the first episode anyway

Apart from the fact that it's set in another historical English city, it doesn't seem to have too much in common with Morse.
It looks quite good but ......why are there only two episodes?
Hardly a series, unless these two episodes were 'pilots''
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:32:06 AM by mkenuk »

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: March 16, 2020, 07:50:09 PM »
I agree that "series" do seem to be getting shorter. The last series of Endeavour was only three episodes. Maybe it is a cost related thing?

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: March 16, 2020, 09:23:49 PM »
Hi Pen, 

Another Monday gone.  We must encourage Mike to give us some more Yorkshire sayings. 

I am stuck on a certain train of thought.

Blue asked me if  I ever watched the series Cheers.  I told him I had but not often.  Blue said I should have watched it more often because apart from being funny you could learn some interesting scientific facts. To prove it he told me this story.

"Ya see, Jack, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

This natural selection is good for the herd, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
"

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: March 16, 2020, 09:36:12 PM »

As they used to say in Yorkshire, it was 'tea you could trot a mouse on'.

Apart from the fact that it's set in another historical English city, it doesn't seem to have too much in common with Morse.
It looks quite good but ......why are there only two episodes?
Hardly a series, unless these two episodes were 'pilots''

I love that expression Mike - not heard it for many a year.

You're right of course it doesn't have much in common with Morse.  It is quite good but a shame there are only two episodes.  Maybe they were waiting to see how well it was received or perhaps as Christine says it may simply be a cost issue.  I like a proper 'who dunnit?' with a good storyline & that keeps me guessing to the end.  I enjoyed Death in Paradise but that's finished for now.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: March 16, 2020, 09:48:39 PM »
I agree that "series" do seem to be getting shorter. The last series of Endeavour was only three episodes. Maybe it is a cost related thing?

Hardly a series at all but it was very enjoyable.  Pity they didn't make a few more.   Bet you're right about it being a cost related thing!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: March 16, 2020, 10:22:49 PM »
We must encourage Mike to give us some more Yorkshire sayings. 

No point asking me for Yorkshire quotes!
I'm from County Durham!
To me Yorkshire is in the South.

;D.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: March 16, 2020, 10:43:57 PM »
Hi Jack

My Dad used to have one or 2 choice Yorkshireisms >:D  'There nowt so queer as folk' & 'it's like Blackpool illuminations in here' were a couple of his favourites :)

You do seem to be stuck in a certain train of thought at the moment :laugh:

Here's a small random assortment

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: March 17, 2020, 02:01:56 AM »
Hi Pen,

Here is a quick inter-sleep contribution.

Blue had a mate whose name was Shifty.  Shifty was a lawyer, so Blue hired him when he was being sued for a large sum of money by Ima Sharpy, a Bowral businessman.

Blue said to Shifty, "If I lose this case, I'll be ruined."  "It's in the judge's hands now," replied Shifty.

Blue asked, "Would it help if I sent the judge a box of cigars?"  Shifty replied, "Oh no! This judge is a stickler for ethical behaviour. A stunt like that would prejudice him against you. He might even hold you in contempt of court. In fact, you shouldn't even smile at the judge."

The outcome of the case was the judge rendered a decision in favour of Blue.  As Blue left the courthouse, he said to Shifty, "Thanks for the tip about the cigars. It worked!"

"I'm sure we would have lost the case if you'd sent them."

"But, I did send them."

"What? You did?" said Shifty, incredulously.

"Yes. That's how we won the case."

"I don't understand," said Shifty.

"It's easy. I sent the cigars to the judge, but enclosed Ima Sharpy’s business card."
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: March 17, 2020, 06:57:00 AM »
That tickled me Jack :laugh:  Cheered me up as I had a bit of a day of it :(  Just popped down to my local Sainsburys to get a couple of bits.  No pasta, hardly any tins of tomatoes & not an egg to be seen anywhere.  I despair >:(
Anyway, tomorrow's another day :)
Pen