Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814555 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3600 on: March 09, 2020, 01:20:01 AM »
I'm back Jack...

What a great puzzle :)  I finally cracked it after I realised the pictures weren't of a bus or a snail :laugh: For my bonus points the story is set in the Catskill Mountains & was written by Washington Irving :)

I wonder if he snored while he was asleep :-Z

My puzzle is a couple of poems.  The first one is a favourite of mine - no idea why!   2 words 3/9.  The clue is what the things in the pictures do.

The second one is 3, 4, 5, 2, 7.  The bird you only need the last 5 letters & the lady in the last picture it's surname only please. My Dad used to read this to me as a child & I ended up being able to recite big chunks of it :laugh:
TheDOf

Your bonus points are for who wrote them both.

I think I need one of your poppy naps :-Y

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 01:22:46 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: March 09, 2020, 05:49:22 AM »
Hi Pen

Very appropriate cartoons.

I don’t snore because I wear a CPAP device.

You have completely flummoxed me with your first poem. No problem with the second and hence the poet.  The only poem that I can find that he wrote that fits the word count is The Laboratory and I can’t see how that fits the clues.  On the other hand, I originally thought that the answer would be for listening but I can’t find anything to confirm that he wrote such a poem..

I will consult the clever ones when they wake up.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 05:51:11 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: March 09, 2020, 06:37:03 AM »

You have completely flummoxed me with your first poem. No problem with the second and hence the poet.  The only poem that I can find that he wrote that fits the word count is The Laboratory and I can’t see how that fits the clues.  On the other hand, I originally thought that the answer would be for listening but I can’t find anything to confirm that he wrote such a poem..

Apologies Jack but I think I've caused you a bit of confusion (again :-[)  I should have said something along the lines of a bonus point for each poet as it's two completely different poets.  So sorry I didn't make that clear.  You'd have been there for a month of sundays :laugh:

(one of Zoe's most favourite actors  ;))
By the way you're along the right lines with your original thought...

Penx
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 06:38:55 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: March 09, 2020, 07:04:20 AM »
No problems, Pen.  My brains-trust has already advised me that the bonus point is for Walter of the Sea
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: March 09, 2020, 11:53:02 PM »
Hi Jack

Pleased your brains-trust sorted out the answer to my puzzle :)

Here's a small random assortment.  I have the joys of mandatory training this afternoon.  Forgot to bring the matchsticks to prop my eyes open >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: March 10, 2020, 03:30:47 AM »
Hi Pen,

Hope your training is going well ..  I liked your cartoons..Less is more.

I had a big day yesterday.  Four trips to the dump (Wingecarribee Resource Recovery Centre).  We are finally starting to see the benefits of our decluttering.

After an early breakfast we are off to Canberra and return this afternoon after lunch. Four hours driving, so I will be knacked tonight.

Here’s a classic recycle –

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: March 10, 2020, 06:20:10 AM »
Hi Jack

The training was very tedious & boring.  Health & Safety & Welfare.  The room was over heated & my friend & work colleague Donna & I both had to fight to stop our eyes closing & nodding off :-Y  Fortunately I wont have to do it again for another 3 years :)

Pleased to hear that your decluttering is paying off :)  Your cartoons tickled me, as did your classic recycle :laugh:

I'm hoping the last one doesn't disappear as it really tickled me >:D

Hope you have (or have had depending on when you read this) a good trip to Canberra & see you later in the week :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: March 10, 2020, 07:58:47 AM »
In a bit of a hurry to get away, but I couldn't resist the serendipity of this Rowe cartoon.

A word for readers outside Australia: For the last week his subjects have almost exclusively been our Prime Minister and Treasurer.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: March 10, 2020, 09:51:52 PM »
Hi Pen,

The drive to Canberra and back was a lot less tiring than I expected.  Apart from the suburbs at either end and a couple of roadworks, it was cruise control all the way.  This is the least tiring driving.

When we got home we were aware that we are having our first session tomorrow morning with the agent we chose, so we had a last decluttering and tidying session.  By six O’clock we needed a nerve calming Sauvignon Blanc while watching TV and I am assured that I slept through most of it.

Blue comes home after a hard day’s work and opens the refrigerator to get a soda :D >:D. Inside, he sees a squirrel taking a nap.

What are you doing in my fridge?” Blue asks.

The squirrel opens one sleepy eye and says, “Isn’t this a Westinghouse?”

Um, yes,” Blue replies. “It is."

Well then,” the squirrel says, shutting his eyes again, “I am twying to west.”

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 10:01:41 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: March 11, 2020, 01:22:37 AM »
Hi Jack

Pleased that your drive wasn't too tiring :)

Loved your cartoons - especially the loo roll ones from earlier on :laugh:  Some of our supermarkets are sold out so it's obviously a world wide issue :-R  Does Blue really drink soda? :laugh:

Two vultures board an airplane, each carrying two dead raccoons. The stewardess looks at them and says, "I'm sorry, gentlemen, only one carrion allowed per passenger."

Two boll weevils grew up in South Carolina. One went to Hollywood and became a famous actor. The other stayed behind in the cotton fields and never amounted to much. The second one, naturally, became known as the lesser of two weevils.

Leaving you with a couple of silly jokes!

Hope your session with the agent goes well tomorrow.  Look forward to hearing about it.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: March 11, 2020, 01:41:11 AM »
Just found this & couldn't resist it >:D :laugh:

Scouser1952

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: March 11, 2020, 04:00:48 AM »
I read a news report today concerning the corona virus & the run on loo rolls in the stores.
Apparently every time someone coughs or sneezes, hundreds of people shit themselves.
Just saying.

Scouser1952

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: March 11, 2020, 05:48:47 AM »
Apparently every time someone coughs or sneezes, hundreds of people shit themselves.

Tony, that sounds like a lot of crap to me.  :D
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: March 11, 2020, 05:12:53 PM »
Does Blue really drink soda? :laugh:

Good jokes, Pen, but believing Blue would drink soda water after a hard day's work is the best.  For a start, I doubt whether Blue has done a hard day's work in his life.  If he thinks he has been talking to squirrels he's got to be on something a lot stronger than soda water - especially since squirrels live on every continent except in Australia and Antarctica, according to the BBC. 

I remember the time he was so drunk, he walked into a bar and went up to a beautiful young woman and said, “So, do I come here often?”

This is a hard one so I will give you a clue to make it easy.  It is a book by Tim Federle.

The clue is it is a pun on Harper Lee’s first novel.  Bonus point.  Who was the hero in Harper Lee's novel?

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: March 12, 2020, 02:32:47 AM »
Hi Jack

Great cartoons & a clever & very tricky puzzle :)  I got Atticus Finch - To Kill A Mockingbird quite easily but the book by Tim Federle had me stumped for a while. 

I got a bit of assistance from a younger colleague who frequents this bar which serves the tipple in question >:D

My puzzle is a book by Sue Townsend.  I did think once I'd started I'd bitten off more than I can chew :o  To get your bonus point please name the love interest of the young writer.
Theofaged&

I'm hoping it doesn't give you too much of a problem - just enough to make your brain itch a bit :laugh:

Better assume professional receptionist position >:D

Is this what I should aspire to do you reckon...