Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821223 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3525 on: February 19, 2020, 07:15:25 PM »
Hi Jack
I have no problem with you using my real name
Regards

Gareth

Are you in Wales Gareth?  With names like Gareth & Dragonman you must be!!  There have been some fantastic Welsh rugby players called Gareth.  Though I can only think of Edwards & Thomas off the top of my head!
Do hope you're not struggling with the flooding.
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: February 19, 2020, 07:18:03 PM »

I did a quick search and found I knew that last April.  I must be getting oldfeller's disease. :-R

All the time Jack!  Usually find what I've lost about six months later :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: February 19, 2020, 09:44:57 PM »
Hi Pen,

This is Snow Pea, or should that be Petit Pois.

Pen, you should empathise with this story.

Before Sheila married Blue she worked on the departures desk at QANTAS.  One day a crowded flight was cancelled. Sheila was re-booking a long line of inconvenienced travellers.

Suddenly, an angry passenger pushed his way to the desk. He slapped his ticket on the counter and said, “I HAVE to be on this flight, and it has to be FIRST CLASS.”

Sheila replied, “I’m sorry, sir. I’ll be happy to try to help you, but I’ve got to help these folks first; and then I’m sure we’ll be able to work something out.”

The passenger was unimpressed. He asked loudly, so that the passengers behind him could hear, “DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?”

Without hesitating, Sheila smiled and grabbed her public address microphone. “May I have your attention, please?”, she began, her voice heard clearly throughout the terminal. “We have a passenger here at Gate 14 WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS. If anyone can help him with his identity, please come to Gate 14”.

With the folks behind him in line laughing hysterically, the man glared at Sheila, gritted his teeth, and said, “Screw You!”

Without flinching, she smiled and said, “I’m sorry sir, you’ll have to get in line for that, too.”

Moral: Life is not only about surviving the storms; it is also about dancing in the rain.

Sticking with Agatha Christie novels 2 3 8 2 2 6.

the of  

A bonus point for naming the main characters in the book.  An additional bonus point for the act and scene number of Shakespeare’s play, (oops I can’t name it, you know the Scottish one) which the title comes from. One more for naming a leading character that was in the film but was not In the original book.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: February 20, 2020, 12:59:12 AM »
Hi Jack

According to Ms Google they are meant to be petit pois but I have my doubts!  They look a bit on the big side to me :laugh:

A great joke which made me laugh out loud & excellent cartoons :laugh:

Your excellent puzzle had me a bit flummoxed for a while.  My first thought was that it was Tommy & Tuppence.  Then I remembered when I saw it on the telly Miss Marple was in it so I assumed that I was wrong.  But then I realised that your bonus question gives me the answer ;)  Miss Marple wasn't in the book but was in the film :)  I didn't know the answer to the Shakespeare quote so I had to consult Ms Google who advises me that it's Act 4, scene 1 of the Scottish Play.  2 bonus points do you think?

Your mention of the play that nobody dares mention reminded me of this...
The Scottish Play

I'm sticking with the same theme!  It's another Agatha Christie novel.  3 words 2, 7'1, 5.  Your bonus points are easy peasy.  Who is the main character in the book & where is the story set.
At

Getting busy so better assume my professional receptionist mode...

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: February 20, 2020, 02:52:10 AM »
Hi Hobbit

Only half welsh, through my mother. Her maiden name was Thomas. I live in Nuneaton, you may have to google that, and we have no real problems with floods these days.  Years ago the town centre  would flood even after a shower but it was eventually sorted.
Feel sorry for the folks in trouble at the moment. The Met Office is to get £1.6 billion to spend on a super computer to forecast more accurately where the rain will fall. Can't help thinking that would but a lot of flood defences, then it wouldn't matter where it rained

Regards
Gareth aka Dragonman
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 04:06:48 AM by Dragonman »
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: February 20, 2020, 06:43:08 AM »
Hi Gareth

No need to Google Nuneaton!  I've passed through it on the train on my way from Milton Keynes to Macclesfield to my cousin in the Peaks.   Pleased you've not encountered any problems with flooding.  Pen

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: February 20, 2020, 09:52:31 AM »
Hi Pen
Nuneaton from the train, probably the best way to see it.

regards
Gareth
You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: February 20, 2020, 12:14:28 PM »
Hi Pen,

3 bonus points at least for thinking your way through the problem.

In your puzzle the main character would have had to be Jane,  but the answer to where it was set is surely in the title.  But that is a fictional establishment and what actual establishment it was based on is a moot point.  It is popularly believed to have been inspired by Brown's Hotel, in London, where Agatha Christie often stayed when visiting London.  However, the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography claims that Christie's model was a different Mayfair hotel, Flemings Mayfair.

Let’s give Aggie a break and go to Barbara Cartland 5 2 1 7(4 3).  The bonus point is for the name of the heroine’s father who has been in a coma for over six months.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:18:19 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: February 21, 2020, 01:38:56 AM »
Hi Jack

Had a very busy morning & feeling a bit knacked now :(  Just got to get through the afternoon then
I've got to work on Saturday so not much of a weekend.

A great puzzle :) Took me 3 visits before I realised it wasn't Shipand :laugh:  I can honestly say I've never read any Barbara Cartland's books! According to Ms Google she's written about 350 :o   I can't find a name for our heroine's father other than he's the King of Zokala!  Not sure that qualifies me for a bonus point!

I thought I'd stick with your Barbara Cartland theme.  My puzzle is 4 words.  Word pattern is 7, 2, 1, 7.
a
For your bonus point please name the city where our heroine flees to avoid an arranged marriage.

ps my Bertrams Hotel puzzle was a bit confusing sorry.  When I asked for where it's set I was thinking of London but you quite rightly named the hotels where Agatha Christie was thought to have stayed :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 02:06:28 AM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: February 21, 2020, 01:54:08 AM »

Nuneaton from the train, probably the best way to see it.

Oh Gareth it can't be as bad as Bletchley  :laugh:

All the best
pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: February 21, 2020, 03:05:49 AM »
Hi Pen,

Between you and me, we have read exactly zero Barbara Cartlands. You definitely get the bonus point.

Now to your puzzle.I think I’ve danced to the pot of gold at the end of it.

Every time I look down on this timeless town
Whether blue or gray be her skies.
Whether loud be her cheers or soft be her tears,
More and more do I realize:

I love Paris in the springtime.
I love Paris in the fall.
I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles,
I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles.

Does that get me the bonus point?

Don’t apologise for the previous puzzle.  I knew you were looking for London but I was being a smart-arse.

After I have had a shower after gym this morning, we are heading to Canberra.  At 4:30, I am going to the first function of reunion of men and women who trained with me in 1965 to become a computer programmer.  The reunion goes through to Monday but I am going to bale out on Sunday.  

There used to be about 60 of us but there are somewhat fewer of us now and we are scattered throughout the world. Nevertheless we expect a good turn-up with some coming from NZ, Western Australia and Queensland.  

We probably drink less these days but we may have a few sherbets and so don’t be surprised if my posting is a bit sporadic.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 03:25:12 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: February 21, 2020, 06:46:22 AM »
You being a smart-arse Jack?  Never in a million years :laugh:  Perish the thought >:D

I think you get 2 bonus points for that :)

I'm only flying in & out as I've gone from being a bit knacked to being very knacked  :-Y  Going to give the little grey cell a small work out then slump in my chair in front of the box.

Have a smashing time at your reunion :)  Filled with lots of fun & laughter with old friends & one or two sherbets -  just to be sociable :laugh:

Look forward to hearing all about it on Monday :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: February 22, 2020, 10:48:30 AM »
Hi Pen,

It was good catching up with people I haven't seen for a long while touched with a little sadness.  Although most have survived the passing years well others have gone downhill physically and/or mentally.  Even worse, was the absences because they are no longer with us.

After the meet and greet, I took leave of my old colleagues and June, Andrew and I went to a Turkish restaurant for dinner.  It is one of Canberra's best and the meal and service were excellent as were a couple of bottles of the local red.

It is my turn with the horse picking this week so I spent a couple of hours on that task in the early hours of this morning when I would rather had been doing this post.

Today, we have an informal lunch at a fish cafe attached to the Yacht Club and the formal reunion dinner tonight. By coincidence  >:D we are booked into the hotel where it is being held.

I expect you will be reading this when you get to work, so i had better see what I can do to cheer you up with a few dad jokes..

That reminds me - How did you go at the dentist?

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: February 22, 2020, 11:31:45 PM »
Hi Jack

I'm pleased you're enjoying your reunion.  Just a shame it's tinged with a little sadness.

You're absolutely right I'm at work & just spotted your post.  Your Dad jokes made me chuckle & cheered me up :laugh:  I've done all my necessary chores & I've got a quick lunch break in about half an hour.  After that it's about three hours til I can tunnel out.  A&E usually gets busier after lunch.  According to one of the radiographers people have to get up, fall over & then come in... :laugh:

Hope you dusted your blazer & yachting cap off for lunch at the yacht club :laugh:

There's a cheese sarnie in the fridge with my name on it... :-H

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: February 23, 2020, 01:19:08 AM »
I'm back Jack!
Found a silly joke for you...

An Englishman, Irishman, Welshman, Scotsman were captured while fighting in a far-off foreign land, and the leader of the captors said, 'We're going to line you up in front of a firing squad and shoot you all in turn. But first, you each can make a final wish.'
The Englishman responds, 'I'd like to hear "God Save The Queen" just one more time to remind me of the auld country, played by the London All Boys Choir. With Morris Dancers Dancing to the tune.'
The Irishman replies, 'I'd like to hear "Danny Boy" just one more time to remind me of the auld country, sung in the style of Daniel O'Donnell, with Riverdance dancers skipping gaily to the tune.'
The Welshman answers, 'I'd like to hear "Men Of Harlech" just one more time to remind me of the country, sung as if by the Treorchy Male Voice Choir.'
The Scotsman says quickly, 'I'd like to be shot first.'

Hope you enjoyed your formal reunion dinner. or are you dancing the night away? >:D  Least you didn't have far to go to bed :laugh: