Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814602 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3480 on: February 15, 2020, 01:45:01 PM »
I was looking for why Kendal seems to have a monopoly on the Mint Cake when I found this article

It didn't answer the question but the reaction of the New York Customs to a product with the name "cake" which they didn't consider was a cake amused me.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: February 15, 2020, 02:06:39 PM »
Perhaps you may find Kendal Mint Cake Liqueur to your liking? It may be better for the teeth? I assume it is a variation on Creme de Menthe. Again not my sort of tipple.

I think I tried Creme de Menthe once when I was a teenager and I can't remember liking it.

I'm sorry I impugned your status as a hiker. Your track record is much better than mine in that activity.  I did not spend much time in the Lakes District but it certainly impressed as the type of area which would encourage walking and sightseeing, with suitably entertaining rest stops. :D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:08:56 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: February 15, 2020, 07:47:51 PM »
On the subject of Creme de Menthe, Billy Connelly has a good story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKMQKgSnGy8&list=RDoKMQKgSnGy8&start_radio=1#t=24

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: February 15, 2020, 08:58:14 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thank heavens it is nearly 60 years since I felt that. It still gave me PTSD though.
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: February 15, 2020, 09:54:20 PM »
As Jack said earlier I do hope your trip to the dentist wasn't too awful & not as dear & traumatic as you were expecting.
Pen

An extraction of a split tooth (right at the back, thankfully) wasn't my idea of a great start to a Friday morning, but such is life!!  Went to work with a numb mouth and almost £100 lighter in the pocket!  Why didn't I train to be a dentist? £100 for 20 minutes' work sounds pretty good to me but then probing around in people's mouths doesn't seem that appealing!  What sights they must see!! Ugh!  >:D  Anyway, all is well and I am going to eat double the amount today to make up for my very light diet yesterday.  :-H

PS - Not going to Kendal today due to heavy rain and the high possibility of further flooding!  Batten down the hatches and hope for the best!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:07:37 PM by Linda »

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: February 15, 2020, 10:11:58 PM »
Stay put Linda as it is lashing it down in Kendal at the moment ( 11.10 am) and pretty windy! I need to set off to work in half an hour but luckily the shop I work in on Highgate is only 5 minutes walk. There were hardly any market traders there this morning.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: February 15, 2020, 10:27:43 PM »
Thanks, Christine, I am staying put!  Not too bad here at the moment but think it will get wilder as the day progresses.  Hope you don't get too wet.  How about you have lunch at Farrers - I am particularly fond of their Cumberland sausage and egg rolls - yum!!  Can't stop thinking about food today, for some reason!  :-H

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: February 16, 2020, 12:34:12 AM »
Hi Pen,

I can't think of anything to talk about so here is a puzzle. A novel by one of the Bronte sisters.  3 6 2 8 (4 4) 4.  The first bonus point is the name of pseudonym she used to publish it under.  The second is for naming the main character.

The of    

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: February 16, 2020, 04:31:09 AM »
Hi Jack

The weather here is very inclement.  Raining & very windy.  Nowhere near as bad as where Linda & Christine are.  We did batten down the hatches & then got bored & stir crazy so we ventured out for 10 minutes.  OK with the wind behind us but when we turned round to come home it was not much fun! It stopped us in our tracks :laugh:

Loved the cat at the end of your post :laugh: & I also love Billy Connolly's Crème de Menthe story  :laugh:

Zoe's upstairs at the moment so I'm waiting for her to come down & solve the bonus questions for me >:D

Meanwhile

Still waiting...
Here's a quick Bond film.  One word just 9 letters.  Easy peasy :)

Zoe says the pseudonym is Acton Bell & the main character is Helen Graham :)  I think she deserves the 2 bonus points :laugh:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:35:02 AM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: February 16, 2020, 04:42:46 AM »
An extraction of a split tooth (right at the back, thankfully) wasn't my idea of a great start to a Friday morning, but such is life!!  Went to work with a numb mouth and almost £100 lighter in the pocket!  Why didn't I train to be a dentist? £100 for 20 minutes' work sounds pretty good to me but then probing around in people's mouths doesn't seem that appealing!  What sights they must see!! Ugh!  >:D  Anyway, all is well and I am going to eat double the amount today to make up for my very light diet yesterday.  :-H

PS - Not going to Kendal today due to heavy rain and the high possibility of further flooding!  Batten down the hatches and hope for the best!

I'm going to have to follow you to the dentist next week Linda as I've had a little bit break off of one of my back teeth :(  Don't know if it's repairable or if it'll be cheaper just to have it pulled out. Luckily it's not causing me any pain at the moment.  Like you going to cost me an arm & a leg >:(  It's a very lucrative profession but, like you, I wouldn't want to probe around people's mouth ugh!

Enjoyable your grub :-H
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: February 16, 2020, 01:10:13 PM »
Hi Jack

Methinks Fitz's Joke Of The Week would be right up your alley today.  He even knew your name.  And the doc isn't that far away from you.
I'll let you check it out first and see if you agree.

Cheers Val
I'll sleep in my next life

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: February 16, 2020, 02:38:08 PM »
Hi Valerie,

I did enjoy it and considered pinching it as I have many times in the past.   You have made up my mind to use it although you would have realised Fitzy was protecting Blue’s identity by calling him Jacko and having him live in Goulburn.  :D I have amended the record.

Quote from: Peter FitzSimons
During Blue’s physical, the Bowral doctor asks him about his daily activity level. "Well, Doc," Blue replies, "yesterday afternoon, I waded along the edge of a lake, drank eight beers, escaped from wild dogs in the heavy brush, jumped away from an aggressive brown snake, marched up and down several rocky hills, stood in a patch of poison ivy, crawled out of quicksand and took four leaks behind big trees."

The doctor gasps. "You must be one hell of an outdoorsman!"

"Nuh," Blue replies, "Just a rubbish golfer."

I see you have been getting your share of the rain lately.
Regards, Jack

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: February 16, 2020, 06:35:42 PM »
Hi Jack.  Oh, well done!  Sounds much better with Blue as the star.

Rain?  Yes indeed.  After a year of total dry and then the horror bushfires of the past few months raging on all sides of us up here, we honestly can't get enough of it.  It reminds me of part of my childhood growing up in England/Scotland where the rain is somewhat abundant (I have the dubious honour of being a Ten Pound Pom).

Cheers Val         
I'll sleep in my next life

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: February 16, 2020, 09:25:00 PM »
Hi Pen,

Do I get a bonus point for knowing your puzzle's answer was the fourth film Roger Moore starred in as James Bond.

Zoe deserves three bonus points as it sounds like she didn’t have to look up Google.

It’s a long time since I told a story about blue.  We can’t have Fitzy telling all the Blue stories.

IT WAS a bad year on the farm so Blue and Sheilah were trying to work out how to earn some more money.  They decided Sheila should go on Millionaire Hot Seat because she was the smarter of the two.

She managed to fluke the questions and got to the point where she’d won $500,000.

You’ve done very well so far,” said the host Eddie McGuire, “but for a million bucks you’ve only got one lifeline left — phone a friend. Will you go for it?”

Sure,” said Sheila, “I’ll have a go!”

Which of the following birds does not build its own nest — a) a sparrow, b) a thrush,  c) a magpie or d) a cuckoo?"

This stumped Sheila so she decided to use his lifeline and phone Blue at home.

Aww that’s easy, Love. It’s a cuckoo.”“

"Are you sure?”

I’m bloody sure,” Blue said.

Sheila turned to Eddie and said, “I’ll go with cuckoo as my answer. Lock the bugger in.”

There was a long pause and then Eddie yelled, “Cuckoo is the correct answer! You’ve won a million bucks!

When Sheila got home, she asked Blue, “Bloody hell, Blue, how in blazes did you know it was a cuckoo that doesn’t build its own nest?”

Blue replied: “Aww, because he lives in bloody clock, doesn’t he.

I’m off to bed to see if I can dream up a challenge.

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: February 16, 2020, 09:33:31 PM »
H have the dubious honour of being a Ten Pound Pom).

Yes, I knew that Valerie and quite a number of other forumites are as well.  IMNSHO, Australia is better for the fact that you all made the decision to stay.
Regards, Jack