Help
lexigame.com the home of unique word games

Lexigame Community
February 25, 2020, 07:32:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 237
  Print  
Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 219802 times)
Hobbit
Glossologian

Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England

View Profile
« Reply #3480 on: February 15, 2020, 03:29:48 AM »

Sounds perfect Christine.  A walk round Derwentwater with lunch & tea & cake at a cafe or a ferry up to Keswick.  How very lucky you & Linda are to live in such a beautiful part of the World Smiley
I don't fancy the Kendal Mint Cake Liqueur any more than the mint cake itself I'm afraid.  Not my tipple either!
Pen
Hobbit
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: February 15, 2020, 03:35:39 AM »

I'm going to Kendal on Saturday - won't be touching the mint cake though, got an appointment at the dentist's soon - oh joy! - v. expensive, v. traumatic!!  Demon

Hi Linda

As Jack said earlier I do hope your trip to the dentist wasn't too awful & not as dear & traumatic as you were expecting.
Pen
Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: February 15, 2020, 12:45:01 PM »

I was looking for why Kendal seems to have a monopoly on the Mint Cake when I found this article

It didn't answer the question but the reaction of the New York Customs to a product with the name "cake" which they didn't consider was a cake amused me.

Cheers, Jack

"Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce." - Vivian Komori
Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: February 15, 2020, 01:06:39 PM »

Perhaps you may find Kendal Mint Cake Liqueur to your liking? It may be better for the teeth? I assume it is a variation on Creme de Menthe. Again not my sort of tipple.

I think I tried Creme de Menthe once when I was a teenager and I can't remember liking it.

I'm sorry I impugned your status as a hiker. Your track record is much better than mine in that activity.  I did not spend much time in the Lakes District but it certainly impressed as the type of area which would encourage walking and sightseeing, with suitably entertaining rest stops. Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:08:56 PM by Ozzyjack » Logged

Cheers, Jack

"Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce." - Vivian Komori
mkenuk
Glossologian

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: February 15, 2020, 06:47:51 PM »

On the subject of Creme de Menthe, Billy Connelly has a good story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKMQKgSnGy8&list=RDoKMQKgSnGy8&start_radio=1#t=24

Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: February 15, 2020, 07:58:14 PM »

Hi Mike,

Thank heavens it is nearly 60 years since I felt that. It still gave me PTSD though.

Cheers, Jack

Linda
WordStar

Cumbria, England

View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: February 15, 2020, 08:54:20 PM »

As Jack said earlier I do hope your trip to the dentist wasn't too awful & not as dear & traumatic as you were expecting.
Pen

An extraction of a split tooth (right at the back, thankfully) wasn't my idea of a great start to a Friday morning, but such is life!!  Went to work with a numb mouth and almost £100 lighter in the pocket!  Why didn't I train to be a dentist? £100 for 20 minutes' work sounds pretty good to me but then probing around in people's mouths doesn't seem that appealing!  What sights they must see!! Ugh!  Demon  Anyway, all is well and I am going to eat double the amount today to make up for my very light diet yesterday.  Hungry

PS - Not going to Kendal today due to heavy rain and the high possibility of further flooding!  Batten down the hatches and hope for the best!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:07:37 PM by Linda » Logged
cmh
Word-meister

View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: February 15, 2020, 09:11:58 PM »

Stay put Linda as it is lashing it down in Kendal at the moment ( 11.10 am) and pretty windy! I need to set off to work in half an hour but luckily the shop I work in on Highgate is only 5 minutes walk. There were hardly any market traders there this morning.
Linda
WordStar

Cumbria, England

View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: February 15, 2020, 09:27:43 PM »

Thanks, Christine, I am staying put!  Not too bad here at the moment but think it will get wilder as the day progresses.  Hope you don't get too wet.  How about you have lunch at Farrers - I am particularly fond of their Cumberland sausage and egg rolls - yum!!  Can't stop thinking about food today, for some reason!  Hungry
Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: February 15, 2020, 11:34:12 PM »

Hi Pen,

I can't think of anything to talk about so here is a puzzle. A novel by one of the Bronte sisters.  3 6 2 8 (4 4) 4.  The first bonus point is the name of pseudonym she used to publish it under.  The second is for naming the main character.

The of    

Cheers, Jack

Hobbit
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: February 16, 2020, 03:31:09 AM »

Hi Jack

The weather here is very inclement.  Raining & very windy.  Nowhere near as bad as where Linda & Christine are.  We did batten down the hatches & then got bored & stir crazy so we ventured out for 10 minutes.  OK with the wind behind us but when we turned round to come home it was not much fun! It stopped us in our tracks laugh

Loved the cat at the end of your post laugh & I also love Billy Connolly's Crème de Menthe story  laugh

Zoe's upstairs at the moment so I'm waiting for her to come down & solve the bonus questions for me Demon

Meanwhile

Still waiting...
Here's a quick Bond film.  One word just 9 letters.  Easy peasy Smiley

Zoe says the pseudonym is Acton Bell & the main character is Helen Graham Smiley  I think she deserves the 2 bonus points laugh

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 03:35:02 AM by Hobbit » Logged
Hobbit
Glossologian

View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: February 16, 2020, 03:42:46 AM »

An extraction of a split tooth (right at the back, thankfully) wasn't my idea of a great start to a Friday morning, but such is life!!  Went to work with a numb mouth and almost £100 lighter in the pocket!  Why didn't I train to be a dentist? £100 for 20 minutes' work sounds pretty good to me but then probing around in people's mouths doesn't seem that appealing!  What sights they must see!! Ugh!  Demon  Anyway, all is well and I am going to eat double the amount today to make up for my very light diet yesterday.  Hungry

PS - Not going to Kendal today due to heavy rain and the high possibility of further flooding!  Batten down the hatches and hope for the best!

I'm going to have to follow you to the dentist next week Linda as I've had a little bit break off of one of my back teeth Sad  Don't know if it's repairable or if it'll be cheaper just to have it pulled out. Luckily it's not causing me any pain at the moment.  Like you going to cost me an arm & a leg Angry  It's a very lucrative profession but, like you, I wouldn't want to probe around people's mouth ugh!

Enjoyable your grub Hungry
Pen
Valerie
Lexicomane

Blue Mountains, Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: February 16, 2020, 12:10:13 PM »

Hi Jack

Methinks Fitz's Joke Of The Week would be right up your alley today.  He even knew your name.  And the doc isn't that far away from you.
I'll let you check it out first and see if you agree.

Cheers Val

I'll sleep in my next life
Ozzyjack
Glossologian

Southern Highlands, NSW.

View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: February 16, 2020, 01:38:08 PM »

Hi Valerie,

I did enjoy it and considered pinching it as I have many times in the past.   You have made up my mind to use it although you would have realised Fitzy was protecting Blue’s identity by calling him Jacko and having him live in Goulburn.  Cheesy I have amended the record.

Quote from: Peter FitzSimons
During Blue’s physical, the Bowral doctor asks him about his daily activity level. "Well, Doc," Blue replies, "yesterday afternoon, I waded along the edge of a lake, drank eight beers, escaped from wild dogs in the heavy brush, jumped away from an aggressive brown snake, marched up and down several rocky hills, stood in a patch of poison ivy, crawled out of quicksand and took four leaks behind big trees."

The doctor gasps. "You must be one hell of an outdoorsman!"

"Nuh," Blue replies, "Just a rubbish golfer."

I see you have been getting your share of the rain lately.

Cheers, Jack

Valerie
Lexicomane

Blue Mountains, Australia

View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: February 16, 2020, 05:35:42 PM »

Hi Jack.  Oh, well done!  Sounds much better with Blue as the star.

Rain?  Yes indeed.  After a year of total dry and then the horror bushfires of the past few months raging on all sides of us up here, we honestly can't get enough of it.  It reminds me of part of my childhood growing up in England/Scotland where the rain is somewhat abundant (I have the dubious honour of being a Ten Pound Pom).

Cheers Val         

I'll sleep in my next life
Pages: 1 ... 231 232 [233] 234 235 ... 237
  Print  

Jump to: