Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821343 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3450 on: February 12, 2020, 03:09:39 AM »
I'm back Jack & back in my comfort zone on fracture clinic for the last hour of the day :)

I'm having a disjointed day & I'm all out of bonk.  

Soon be home time thank goodness  :-C

Just found this last one by accident :laugh:

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: February 12, 2020, 05:03:01 AM »
Your cartoons tickled me :laugh:  I don't think mine came out for some reason.

Hi Pen, it seems that the only the first two don't come out but I am sure they were there the first time I read your post.  I did some backtracking and got this message "The URL doesn't refer to an image or the image is not publicly accessible.".  It maybe that when somebody who does not have permission to view the image does so, a block to viewing the image again is put in.  This may also explain some of the problems I have struck in the past. Has anyone else had this problem?

Anyway, the cartoons in your last post made up for it.  A funny coincidence is that I saw an ad for a house in Brisbane where the husband had put two beer taps in.  I don't know whether that was why the wife was keen to sell it. ;)  Unfortunately it was way out of my price range  >:D

My theory that a few extra drinks would spark creativity didn't prove to be correct.  It just resulted in an early bed-time.

Here is one that is easy to track down if you need help solving it.  It is a line in a poem I have quoted recently.  1 4 2 7 6.
The first bonus point is easy - What is the title of the poem? The second maybe not so  easy - what is the Czech name for a set of six symphonic poems composed between 1874 and 1879 by a Czech composer which has a similar meaning in English to the title of the Aussie Poem?

A of  
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: February 12, 2020, 06:40:50 AM »
Hi Jack

I bet you're right about why some of the cartoons disappear after a short time.

I well remember the poem you quoted recently.  The puzzle is "the land of sweeping plains" (I very nearly wrote planes :laugh:  I'm a bit knacked this evening!)  The poem is called "My Country".  I've just read it through & it's superb.

A smashing puzzle but I'm going to pass on the second bonus point until tomorrow when I'm not quite so tired!  Also gives me a chance to think up a puzzle for you :)

Pen

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: February 12, 2020, 05:51:01 PM »
Hi Pen and Jack

I am still laughing at

the puzzle

With the dust storms we have had over the past weeks I saw yours truly with that broom

One day we will get some rain

Carol

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: February 12, 2020, 07:50:38 PM »
Oh Carol I can't believe they've had all that rain around Sydney & you haven't had a drop. So unfair! I'll do a quick rain dance for you & hope you can put that broom away >:D  Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: February 12, 2020, 09:35:35 PM »
Hi Jack

Things seem to be back to normal this morning thank goodness.  So I'm here on fracture clinic waiting for the hordes to arrive :laugh:

Meant to say it was a shame that the house in Brisbane with the beer taps was out of your price range >:D  Would have been fun & funny :laugh:

I've racked my brain cell for a puzzle for you & come up with a children's book.
It's 5 words & the word pattern is 6, 2, 3, 4, 7. The last picture you're not interested in the actor or character.  Just what he does!
of
Your bonus, should you choose to accept it, is when was the book written?

After an extensive search of Ms Google I've come up with Ma Vlast for the second bonus point from yesterday  >:D

Here's a small assortment of silly cartoons.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: February 13, 2020, 12:13:04 AM »
Sorry Linda didn't mean to overlook you in beautiful Cumbria.  Hope you're safe & sound & not waterlogged. Pen

Well our small town made the news again due to the river flooding and causing devastation for nearby houses and businesses - not my home, fortunately, as I live nowhere near the river.  Next time our town will be in the news again will probably be when we get our annual invasion in June!!  Don't know which is worse!!  >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: February 13, 2020, 12:20:17 AM »
Hi Pen,

You are right on the ball.  Full marks for My Homeland by Smetana. great cartoons and a devilish puzzle.  I have an answer but I am not sure I am right.  If I am right it is the third in a series of  seven fantasy novels, the first of which was

The , the and the

It was written between January and February 1950 and published on 15 September 1952,

I'm knacked.  My performance at the gym yesterday (Wednesday) was about 80% of what it was before Christmas and left me twice as tired.  I'll do a quick post to Carol and get back to bed as quick as I can.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 12:34:34 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: February 13, 2020, 12:33:20 AM »
Hi Carol

This article will give those that have never been in a dust storm a feel for how nasty they are.

Rain will come and when it does there will probably be too much of it.

Don't ask Scomo to pray for rain.  He did that for us and the whole east coast is flooded. >:D
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: February 13, 2020, 12:57:09 AM »
Well our small town made the news again due to the river flooding and causing devastation for nearby houses and businesses - not my home, fortunately, as I live nowhere near the river.  Next time our town will be in the news again will probably be when we get our annual invasion in June!!  Don't know which is worse!!  >:D

Is that when the annual tourist invasion starts Linda?  Not much to chose between millions of tourists & millions of gallons of water :(
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: February 13, 2020, 01:00:09 AM »
Next time our town will be in the news again will probably be when we get our annual invasion in June!!  Don't know which is worse!!  >:D

Hi Linda

Judging by the pictures in this article I would prefer the tourists.

Of course, if the floods put the mint factory in Kendal out of action you might not have the June invasion :D
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: February 13, 2020, 01:02:47 AM »
Spot on as usual Jack :)
I love Hugh Bonneville ;)

Hope you & the chooks

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: February 13, 2020, 08:46:52 PM »
Not exactly your run of the mill tourists!  If you search for 'world's largest traveller gathering' you should see why we hit the news in June!!  >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: February 13, 2020, 09:03:28 PM »
Hi again Linda,

One of the things I love about the forum and its wide range of contributors from around the world is that you learn things that you never even suspected.

Now Ive read this article I now know about the June influx.

And the pity of it is they probably don't even like mint cakes. :D
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: February 13, 2020, 09:17:17 PM »
Not really mint cake sort of people, Jack!  Chips, pies and beer is more their sort of thing!  :-H