Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814650 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3375 on: January 23, 2020, 12:55:33 AM »
Sounds wonderful Jack.  I'm very jealous.  Milton Keynes is cold, damp & it's mizzling.  Couldn't be any different to you if it tried!  I'm not surprised that you're tired!  One of our former colleagues is travelling round Oz & I've just been looking at some of her pictures taken recently on her visit to Brisbane & the Gold Coast.  Quite a coincidence :)  Beautiful blue skies & stunning scenery :)

Bet you'll sleep like a log!

By the way I wouldn't dream of thinking that you had more than a glass of pop at lunchtime >:D
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: January 23, 2020, 03:51:14 AM »
mizzling?

Never seen or heard the word before, but I know exactly what it means.
The kind of cold drizzle that seeps through your clothes and into your bones.

England in January - mizzling.
A word to remember.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: January 23, 2020, 06:25:13 AM »
I'm surprised you've not come across mizzle before Mike.  You're spot on!  It's a light cold drizzle that wets you in no time at all.  Don't suppose you're troubled with that in your neck of the woods!!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: January 23, 2020, 10:02:34 AM »
Not in Bangkok certainly where our big problem at the moment is smog, caused by an insane number of vehicles on the roads, huge building works constructing railway lines to ease the problems caused by the insane number of vehicles on the roads and farmers burning the stubble from their last harvest prior to planting.

I saw plenty of mizzle when I lived in N-East England though; one thing I definitely don't miss about 'the old country'!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: January 23, 2020, 11:24:37 PM »
Hi Jack

Hope you & the elephants had a smashing day.  I've had a busy morning at work so just a flying visit.  I'm out for a change this evening :)  My friend Bex is cooking me dinner & we're putting the finishing touches to our sloe vodka & gin which we started perculating (not sure that's a real word ???) back in November!

and I'm not back at work until next Wednesday :-)  I'll get Zoe to think up a nice tricky little puzzle for you at the weekend >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: January 24, 2020, 06:43:32 AM »
Hi Pen,

Just a quick catch up to see if I can get a post in before you go to bed.

Yesterday was a quiet day - board games and readings, watching tennis and the big Bash cricket on the telly.  The boys are avid sports fans and so I have to be interested.  It is hard to imagine the non stop energy they can put into a day.  It leaves me tired just thinking about it.

We did have a shopping expedition to top up beer and wine supplies and to drop A into to town to take part in a video hookup with the group he is involved in on internet regulation and to have lunch with a colleague there.

One thing about this climate is that when you drink beer, you sweat it out faster than you can put it in. >:D

I know the road to hell is paved with good intentions (damn! that would have made a good challenge  ;)) but I will get back to injecting  some intellectual input into the posts soon.  In the meantime, I am looking forward to Zoe's challenges.

Enjoy your break and

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:08:46 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: January 25, 2020, 04:57:07 AM »
Hi Jack

Zoe & I have been out getting our hair done this afternoon.  We've just put dinner on & I thought I'd drop you a quick line while it's cooking.
After dinner we plan to watch Skyscraper with Dwayne Johnson.  We're informed that it's a fairly naff disaster film :laugh:

I loved that picture :laugh:  Brilliant!

We've got a small relatively easy puzzle for you & Zoe has promised to come up with something tricky over the weekend.  This is the book she's reading at the moment. It's 3 words. 3, 5, 8.  The 2nd picture is first name only. You'll find it easy peasy :laugh:

I can't match your picture & dinner is nearly ready!
Here's a feeble offering :laugh: & sadly not a naked man in sight >:D

& make sure you drink plenty of beer to keep yourself well hydrated >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: January 25, 2020, 07:10:15 AM »
Hi Pen,

I hope Will Sawyer gets his family out.  I looked up the blurb of the movie and it does all sound a bit improbable and very Bruce Willis.  I am sure it was fun though.

Your puzzle had me foxed for a while.  Is this picture relevant   .

We had another quite day yesterday although we did go out to Cleveland which is about 30 minutes away for a seafood lunch at a charming old hotel dating from 1851.  On the way there and back we toured some very attractive suburbs window-shopping real estate.

Speaking of the weather:

Continue to have a great weekend.
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: January 25, 2020, 11:08:05 AM »
Aaahh Jack. We drive past The Grand View to get our seafood !   Takeaway fish and chips  from The Lighthouse (eaten in the park) or Sandcrab Lasagne if we're hobnobbing in the restaurant...with a cold glass of a crisp white.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: January 25, 2020, 01:22:57 PM »
Hi Moyra,

I looked at Google maps to work out where we had lunch and got it wrong. i remembered some conversation about the Grand View but I checked with the family and we had lunch at the Lighthouse.  We ate our seafood out on the verandah next to the bar.  They do a great family pack which we supplemented with extra calamari and John Dory. The restaurant looked nice and we put it on our bucket list.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:30:11 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: January 25, 2020, 06:16:29 PM »
Hi Jack,
You said hotel and I "assumed"....The Lighthouse is a favourite of ours and has been for many years. We don't dine-in very often, but when we do, we're rarely disappointed.
There's plenty of history between The Grand View, The Lighthouse and The Courthouse Restaurant and all within a 1.7 kms stretch.
We are spoiled for choice in the Redlands. So many places to choose from, and you made a good choice yesterday.
Moyra

Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: January 26, 2020, 05:08:04 AM »
Hi Jack

You & Moyra are making me hungry :-H  Dinner's in the oven & Zoe's in the shower so I thought I'd take the opportunity to drop you a quick line.  You're spot on with the answer to her puzzle :)  Skyscraper was hilarious :laugh:  Totally far fetched & improbable but enjoyable with a nice glass (or 2 >:D) of pink pinot :)  He had a prosthetic leg which he ripped off a couple of times & put to good use opening panels & ramming it in closing doors :laugh:

We've been out to Buckingham this afternoon enjoying a relaxing massage.  It was a Christmas present to ourselves & very nice too.  I'm now a little short of time so a very easy puzzle today & Zoe's leaving a tricky one for tomorrow :laugh:

This is a painting by the artist whose garden I visited on holiday.  It's 4 words.  The word pattern is 5, 4, 1, 7.  You only want half of the 2nd picture!
a

I'm being told to move myself & my laptop so we can have dinner :laugh:

I loved your pictures by the way :laugh:

So I'll simply say have a cracking day & see you soon :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: January 26, 2020, 07:00:43 AM »
Hi  Pen,

Glad you enjoyed your movie and  massage. 

I find I am getting lazier by the day even though I have got on the treadmill for fifteen minutes for the last two days.  I didn’t know I could sweat so much.

I liked your puzzle.  Here a couple of funnies:

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: January 26, 2020, 02:52:06 PM »
Hi again, Pen

While I was looking for a challenge I came across these:

Quote from: Terry Pratchett in “I Shall Wear Midnight”
“I know it’s not the right thing to say to a lady, miss, but you are sweating like a pig!"
"My mother always said that horses sweat, men perspire, and ladies merely glow…"
"Is that so? Well, miss, you are glowing like a pig!”

Quote from:  Geoffrey Taylor in his poem Cruel Clever Cat
Sally, having swallowed cheese,
Directs down holes the scented breeze,
Enticing thus with baited breath
Nice mice to an untimely death.

This challenge will take you out of the UK to the US in 1890 where an incident involving the Seventh Cavalry and Native Americans resulted in the deaths of between 250 and 300 Native Americans, mostly women and children, and 31 soldiers.
3 8(4 4) 2 7(5 3) 4,     The 5 and 3 have an overlapping syllable to make a 7 letter word

The            

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: January 27, 2020, 01:44:13 AM »

to you & yours Jack.  Sadly I suspect I'm a day late :(  but the thought's there!

I loved how you solved my last puzzle with sneaking the picture in with your funnies :)  which I really liked by the way :laugh:  The little snippets tickled me.  Especially the Terry Pratchett one :laugh:  There was a documentary about him on Bbc the other evening.  Very interesting.

Your puzzle had me stumped for a while.  I got half of it & then suddenly it fell into place! 
I believe this was the soldier who was responsible for this massacre

Zoe's sticking with art for her puzzle today.  It's 5 words.  3, 6, 2, 7, 8.  Surname of the gent in picture 4 please!

Theof

She left me one more challenge for you but I'm still trying to work out how to do it ???

Staying with the Australia Day theme...

I'm waiting for it to stop raining so I can go for a walk!