Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814527 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3135 on: December 03, 2019, 03:49:52 AM »
Hi Pen,

The golf was a bit miserable, I’m afraid. The weather here is unbelievable. Last week in the high 30’s and yesterday (Monday) it didn’t get above 12oC on the second day in summer.   The wind was strong enough for the Weather Bureau to be issuing warnings. Still every cloud has a silver lining and it gave us an excuse to have a single malt or two when we got home.

Well done on the Europe and US puzzles. I just received your latest post. Gunbarrel Highway was correct.  It is worth googling.

The Uk one is a Scottish Trail.  I suspect Michael, who sometimes contributes here, would be very familiar with it.

Your clues were very helpful.  I am glad that Royal Birkdale has not sold out to Donald Trump as Turnberry did.

Must put away the iPad and roll over and go back to sleep 💤.

Keep smiling  :) :) :)
Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: December 03, 2019, 04:24:39 AM »
Oh Penny how  I agree about smiling and greeting being at best ignored or worst still looked upon with suspicion! It is ever the fate of customer facing jobs I'm afraid. I have to plead guilty to sometimes being excessively cheerful to those who seem the most disgruntled by my friendliness just to give them a better reason to scowl at me!!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: December 03, 2019, 06:44:29 AM »
I'll have to try that Christine!  If I'm in a bit of a devilish mood I sometimes repeat myself.  I say good morning & if I don't get any response I say it again but with a bit of an edge.  Mostly goes unnoticed but occasionally I do get a reply!
It's pretty cold here at the moment so I'm guessing it's even chillier up your way.  Had to scrape a load of ice of my car this morning.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: December 03, 2019, 06:49:23 AM »
Hi Jack

Sorry your weather is very inclement at the moment but, as you say, if gave you the perfect excuse for a small nip (or 2) >:D

The only thing I can guess for the UK puzzle is 'whisky trail'  Apart from that I'm a bit stumped!  My golf courses were far too easy peasy :laugh:

Hope it's a bit warmer tomorrow (today!)

Pen

birdy

• Eulexic
  • Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: December 03, 2019, 10:01:30 AM »
Oh Penny how  I agree about smiling and greeting being at best ignored or worst still looked upon with suspicion! It is ever the fate of customer facing jobs I'm afraid. I have to plead guilty to sometimes being excessively cheerful to those who seem the most disgruntled by my friendliness just to give them a better reason to scowl at me!!

I overloaded nasty people with super-sweetness.  I thought of it as my saccharine revenge, with the added pleasure of thinking, "Saccharine kills."  I could never get in trouble with my bosses for it either - how could they complain about someone being every so nice?

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: December 03, 2019, 08:49:50 PM »
That's brilliant Birdy!  Sometimes it's not always easy to keep smiling when folks are repeatedly grumpy but I will be thinking about saccharine doing them untold harm :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: December 03, 2019, 09:23:00 PM »
The only thing I can guess for the UK puzzle is 'whisky trail'  

That was the answer I was after but I might have boo-booed by not keeping up to date.  It appears what we knew as the Whisky Trail as evidenced several times in our travel diaries is now known as the Malt Whisky Trail.

Quote from: June, Sunday 3 September 2006
We set out on the Whisky Trail.  We stopped at Dufftown, as we were early for the distillery openings.  First distillery visited was at Glenlivet.  We bought a 500cc bottle of cask strength Glenlivet and a 700cc cask strength Abelour to drink with A and then on to Glenfiddich.  As the shop was not open until 13:00 we had a light lunch in their cafeteria.  However, their prices had soared and so we didn’t buy anything.  We then went on to Cairdhu – here we were given tastes of 3 whiskys from the area, none of which are well known in retail outlets.  D was so impressed we bought 3 bottles.  It took all my powers of persuasion to stop him buying more.  We will be lucky if one gets home to Australia.

I think you will like this write-up

Blue is back from his holiday but he and Sheila had spent so much that he is stone cold broke.  However, he thinks he has found a way to make a quick quid.  He heard that the  local radio station is having a contest: A $1000 will be awarded to the first person to call in with an English word the DJ has never heard of, is not in any of the  DJ’s dictionaries and can be used to make sense in a sentence.

Blue calls in and when asked for the word, he says, "Goan...G-O-A-N…Goan."  The DJ thinks for a moment and checks in his dictionaries and says, "That’s not a real word!"  "Sure it is," argues Blue.  "Well then use it in a sentence," says the DJ.  Blue replies "Goan get nicked".  The DJ quickly hangs up.

About 30 minutes and many calls later, no one has won the contest and the DJ answers yet another call.  It’s Blue but he is using a plummy pommie accent, so the DJ won’t twig that it is him.  When asked, Blue says, "smee...S-M-E-E...smee."   The DJ shakes his head and says, "I don't think that's real word. Can you please use that in a sentence, sir?"

To which Blue responds in his normal voice, "It's Smee again......and you can still Goan get nicked!"

Today the challenges are a few incidents from the Bible starting from gimmes to one which hopefully will be a bit harder, although if you get some of it, the rest should fall out.

6 2 3 5  

The
---------------------------------
the

The 7 2 3 3 3

of the

6 6 3 6 2 7 3 3 5 4 1-8 4
the of & the a-

Hint: discard the last letter in the seventh picture.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:27:08 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: December 03, 2019, 09:26:46 PM »
G'day Jack

'sof
3'1, 6, 2, 4, 4, 2, 3, 5 (remove 1st letter of 3rd word)

Hope the weather's been a bit warmer today.

Soon be your bedtime

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: December 03, 2019, 09:38:44 PM »
Hi again Pen,

I think you meant

's of
3'1, 6, 2, 4, 4, 2, 3, 5 (remove 1st letter of 3rd word)

and the answer is very well thank you.  It is almost normal temperature in my neck of the woods today and  by next week we will be back in the high 30's.  Looks like we are going to have to suffer strong winds for some time.

It is past my bedtime, so without ado, I'll say adieu. :D
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: December 03, 2019, 09:49:59 PM »
I'm off to commit hari kari :-[
Sleep tight & don't let the bed bugs bite!

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: December 03, 2019, 10:25:20 PM »

The Uk one is a Scottish Trail.  I suspect Michael, who sometimes contributes here, would be very familiar with it.

Indeed !

I have some photos buried on my computer somewhere.
I will see if I can find at least one, when I have a few spare minutes.

Michael

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: December 03, 2019, 11:32:02 PM »
I do remember very much enjoying your travel diaries from Scotland.  June's comment about persuading you not to buy more than 3 bottles from Cairdhu made me chuckle.  Busy morning & now it's nearly lunch time.
So far I have 'the sermon on the mount' & 'the parting of the red sea'.  The last one I'm still puzzling over ???

the last one seems to be the Irish spelling?

sorry Jack I seem to be a bit disjointed & disorganised today :-R

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: December 04, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »
the last one {cartoon}seems to be the Irish spelling?

So does the first one - but neither spoil the joke - all very good.

If you still need a hint on the puzzle, a quick look at the sixth book in the Bible might provide the inspiration you need, :angel:

These might tickle Michael more than you, Pen.  I’ll have to find some about pink wine. ;D

Blue was having a quite beer in our local and chatting with his mate, Wazza, the barman (I think his real name is Warren, but nobody except perhaps his mother calls him that)

A snazzily dressed man, exuding self-importance, walks into the bar and approaching them without even an “excuse me” demands a 40 year old scotch whisky.

Wazza says "I'll see what I can find in the back room"

He emerges from the back room only a few minutes later with a glass and gives it to the man., who takes a sip and belligerently says, "I asked for 40-year-old whisky. This is only 12-year-old."

Impressed that the man could tell the difference, Wazza thought there might be something better in the bottle shop next door, and he goes out once again. Gone for longer than last time, he comes back with another glass and hands it to the man. He sniffs the contents of the glass and takes a sip.

"This!" The man says, clearly frustrated. "isn't 40 years old either. You've given me 20-year-old whisky" and he starts abusing Wazza.  Astonished, Wazza tries to calm the man down.

Blue in the meantime had been out and came back.  He approaches the disgruntled man with a glass of his own.

"That's bloody impressive, mate. Here, try this" Blue says handing him the glass.

Without smelling the contents, the man knocks back the glass.  The man quickly spits out the liquid and shouts. "That's piss!"

"Correct." Blue says with his cheekiest grin. "Now tell me how old I am."

How are you on American Negro Spirituals, Pen.

The title of this one is a cinch 5 3, 5 7

But can you work out (or remember) the 3rd line of the second verse without looking it up  1 4 2 6 6 5 2

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 04:01:10 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

whisky

• Lexicomane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: December 04, 2019, 06:22:55 PM »
Jack .. Thanks for the whisky themed jokes.

I confess I am the Cellar Master at a Melbourne Whisky tasting Club.
It is my role to procure 'interesting' whiskies, using Club funds, for the members to savour at our quarterly meetings.
I then do a little write-up for the amusement of the members.
I always try and include at least one anecdote.

Four meetings a year, x 6 whiskies at each meeting.
That's 24 different whiskies per annum.
I have been in the role for circa 15 years.
So I have found well over 300 different whiskies ( just a few repeats of the most excellent ones ).
It is also a lot of anecdotes to locate.

Why I am I smiling ?
Tomorrow is a meeting !

Sometimes I drink my whisky neat.
Other times I loosen my tie and let my shirt tail hang out.

Michael

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: December 04, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »
Boom Boom!  very funny Michael!  From what Jack has said previously I wrongly assumed you were in Scotland.  I couldn't be further wrong!  I did have a quick look at Google maps to see how far Jack would have to travel to join your Whisky tasting club >:D  Bit of a hike from Bowral to Melbourne :laugh:
Enjoy your meeting tomorrow

Penny