Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821607 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3120 on: November 30, 2019, 05:09:38 PM »
I was happy to read that you were 'firing on all cylinders'.  I had to look up bushranger!! Seems a little harsh but I presume he was joking!!

Spot on, again.  I'll have to get a bit cleverer with my challenges, Pen.

One of the pleasures of playing golf with good friends is the banter.  He calls me a bushranger; I call him a burglar or a jammy bugger when he sinks a long putt.  We both know golf is a game of ups and downs.  You can have a run of holes where you have net pars and birdies and you wonder why you have found the game so difficult and then you strike a run of hole where you wonder if you will ever score well again.  Very occasionally, the run of holes lasts for the whole game or the better part of it.  To put it in perspective, on most holes my handicap gives me an extra two strokes, so my net birdie is often an actual bogie.

People have no respect for the cloth anymore with all this kiddyfiddling going on.  Our local priest had a bottle of toilet cleaner poured over him.  A police spokesman said the assailant had been charged with a bleach of the Priest!

Sheila went into one of our local stores to order some underwear with a message written across the front.  She wanted it to say “If you can read this, you’re too close.”  The shop assistant asked what style of lettering she would like it in.  Sheila said,”Braille”.

But I’m waffling on, Pen.  Blue is always telling me I need to be concise. I need someone to explain to me exactly what concise means.  Please be short, brief and to the point.

How are you on mythical creatures?  Here is one for you.   3  10  7

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 05:11:41 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: December 01, 2019, 07:19:21 AM »
Hi Jack

Finished my post & hit preview & the whole lot disappeared :'(  Hasn't done that for yonks. Not sure I can remember it all now!

Anyway I've had a smashing day with Zoe.  She was the one who solved your puzzle.  The Abominable Snowman!  She's the brains of the outfit :)  It was Zoe who suggested my puzzle for you >:D  We both enjoyed your cartoons & jokes :laugh:

Just one word with 8 letters.  I don't think you'll have too much difficulty so I wont give you a clue >:D

Going to give my brain cell a quick work out then flop into my chair with a small glass of sauvignon blanc & a film :)

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Dragonman

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Gorgeously game
« Reply #3122 on: December 01, 2019, 07:20:26 AM »
Serology and Urology were both playable, one rare and one common.
 Both are medical terms and I thought they would be treated the same

You are UNIQUE....just like everyone else

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: December 01, 2019, 07:23:17 AM »
I work in an x-ray department at my local hospital.  I've heard of urology but never heard of serology.  Probably not very relevant!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: December 01, 2019, 10:05:07 AM »
It was Zoe who suggested my puzzle for you >:D  
Just one word with 8 letters.  I don't think you'll have too much difficulty so I wont give you a clue >:D
Going to give my brain cell a quick work out then flop into my chair with a small glass of sauvignon blanc & a film :)

Devilish indeed.  Must be hereditary given such a difficult puzzle.   :D  Without a context and a component breakup, I and the resident brains in this family could not come up with anything that looked feasible.  We operated for a while on the assumption that the word ended in "don" perhaps "idon" or started with "puss"  or "Cat". The only solution that vaguely suggested itself was Mastodon but that didn't line up with puss in boots.  Pussycat, I can't remember our logic and perhaps chameleon if you got the count of letters wrong ;).

If anyone has  some inspiration, please help.

P.S.  Hint on losing stuff.  Just before you hit preview  "select all" or Ctl-A and "copy".  Then if you lose it you only have to paste to get it back.  Will send a proper post when I get time later.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:22:37 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: December 01, 2019, 04:22:50 PM »
Hi Jack

spent a long time on the picture puzzle and all I can come up with is Poseidon

Carol

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: December 01, 2019, 05:08:50 PM »
Hi Carol,

We'll have to wait for Pen's confirmation but that looks pretty good to me. Thanks.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: December 01, 2019, 08:19:20 PM »
Hi Pen,

We’re all in suspenders  :D waiting to see if Carol got it right.  Blue is on holiday so no jokes today but two easy challenges to make up for it

Challenges:

Both of these are well known structures; assume “the” in front of both 7,5,of,4 and 5,4,of.5

and

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: December 02, 2019, 12:49:19 AM »
Hi Jack

Top marks to Carol :)  It was Poseidon!  I'll have to tell Zoe that she caused a small headache although I probably should have provided a clue of some sort!

I have a very funny picture in my head of you enjoying your glass of sauvignon blanc wearing stockings & a suspender belt >:D :laugh:

Sorry to hear that Blue's on holiday.  Hope he'll be back soon.  I solved your very excellent challenges.
The Leaning Tower of Pisa & The Great Wall of China.  I'm struggling to find any inspiration today.  I might have to

3, 6, 3

Thanks for the tip of hitting copy before preview.  I had been copying & pasting onto a word document but as I hadn't had any problems for a while I had got complacent & not been bothering.  Numpty!

Going for a stroll before the tiny little bit of sun we have disappears!  Bet I'll be scraping my windscreen in the morning :(  It's been very cold these last few days.  Still it's better than bucketing rain!
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: December 02, 2019, 05:24:04 AM »
Hi Pen,

You were probably confusing me with

OK, I’ll eat humble pie, I don’t think I would have got Poseidon even if you had given me context and structure.   I am in awe of Carol’s effort.

You nailed yesterday’s challenges.  These may be a bit harder but not much.  They are all famous tourist routes.

In Europe, 8(2,3,3) 4      

In the UK, 6 5      

In the USA, 5 5-3    

In Victoria, Australia, 5 5 4  

You may call a friend for help if you feel the need.  Anyone solving them before, or if, Pen calls for help, send me a private message.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: December 02, 2019, 06:20:36 AM »
Hi Jack

You've certainly got your own back :laugh:  So far I've only got Route 66! Is the bottom one Grill Ocean Road?? :laugh: I may have to return to them tomorrow with a fresh eye!

Love the picture >:D

I expect you'll be getting up soon to pump iron at the gym & walk Zephyr :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: December 02, 2019, 09:07:29 AM »
Hi again, Pen

Almost right with my activities but I have switched Gym from Mondays to Tuesdays so I can enjoy golf on a Monday.  I also had to put the car in for a service first thing.

Semi great on the Aussie puzzle.  Ocean road was right.

Route 66 was a bit of a giveaway so I will give you a substitute USA puzzle but it involves Shanks Pony rather than a vehicle.

The 11(6 3 3)  5

Oops- just realised I had made an error which meant the fourth picture wasn’t showing. Now fixed.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 12:08:17 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: December 02, 2019, 09:57:38 AM »
P.S. 

Zephyr is now walked and here is another Aussie substitute for the Great Ocean Road.

The 9(3 6) 7.

Golf awaits.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: December 03, 2019, 02:12:12 AM »
Hi Jack

Hope you had an enjoyable round of golf.

I managed to solve a couple of the puzzles.  I got Romantic Road for Europe & Appalachian Trail in the US.  I'm stumped with the UK one which I'm assuming is something trail or track!  I could do with another clue please!
The substituted Aussie one has me totally stumped.  The best I could come up with was Cannonball Highway or Freeway but that has one too many letters ???

I thought I might try a couple of golf courses although I suspect they'll be far too easy!

8 letters.  2nd picture surname only.

5, 8.  The first person isn't his name just the family he represents. 

I'm fed up with greeting people & smiling & getting no response.

Roll on 5'o'clock :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: December 03, 2019, 03:27:22 AM »
ps was the Aussie puzzle Gunbarrel Highway or freeway?

nearly home time