Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 819173 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3060 on: November 16, 2019, 11:28:33 AM »
Hi Pen,

I am not going to let you off that easy, Pen.  The group would be known by every Australian.  So, some kind soul might provide you with the answer. If not, you will need to test your google skills as I will give you a lot of information about them.  I will also tell you the first word of the puzzle starts with “B”.

The group were  nominated for the Best Rock Album (Armistice Day: Live at the Domain, Sydney) and Best Live Act at 2019 ARIA Awards.

Their lead singer (born 16 April 1953) is an Australian musician, environmentalist, activist and former politician. He served as President of the Australian Conservation Foundation for ten years and, in 2003, was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia for his contribution to the environment and music industry. He is also known for his signature bald head, his unique and eccentric dance style, and a "mesmerising onstage presence". He was the Australian Labor Party member of the House of Representatives for the seat of Kingsford Smith, New South Wales, from October 2004 to August 2013. He was a minister in both the Rudd and Gillard governments.

The group should also be known by rock fans in the UK and Europe where they toured earlier this year,  Some venues were :
Sun 9 June O2 Apollo Manchester, UK;
Tue 11 June Olympia  Dublin, Ireland;
Thu 13 June O2 Brixton Academy | London, UK;
and then quite a few venues in Switzerland, Germany and France.

Your puzzle was brilliant except for the little error Mike pointed out.  I had not heard the idiom before and so it extended my google skills to come up with the “fine” answer,

Blue is like many of us with big egos. This story illustrates that he too is kept grounded by his wife.

After retiring, Blue went to the Social Security office to apply for his pension. The woman behind the counter asked him for his driver's license to verify his age. He looked in his pockets and realized he had left his wallet in the pub. He told the woman that he was very sorry, but he would have to go come back later.

The woman said, 'Unbutton your shirt'. So, he opened his shirt revealing the curly silver hair on his chest.  She said, 'You’re a bit of a stud and that silver hair on your chest is proof enough for me' and she processed his pension application.

When Blue got home, he couldn’t wait to boast to Sheila about his experience at the Social Security office.  Sheila said, 'You should have dropped your pants instead. You might have gotten a disability pension too.'

By now you will have got the previous puzzle , so I will leave you with this one. 4,3,7,2,4,5

the of

Hint. The first word starts with “W”
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 11:38:37 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: November 16, 2019, 04:40:47 PM »

Hi again, Pen

I was just looking back over our recent posts to see if I had missed anything and noticed I hadn't taken a guess at your sign-off.  i think it could be Au revoir, petit pois.  Petit pois, I believe means small pea.  Not entirely accurate as my weight has blown out again and this is not the time of the year to be going on teetotal diets.  Probably a "has bean" would be more accurate. :D

I meant to ask when you get called in on short notice, does this mean more biccies in the barrel or do they just give you time off in lieu?  Anyway I hope all your patients are uncharacteristically well behaved.   
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: November 16, 2019, 08:51:06 PM »
Zoe's friend, Mike, messaged her at about 11pm to say 'burn the midnight oil'!!  He had apparently sent the challenge round all his mates so it's probably been seen by about two dozen men of about 40 something :laugh:  Anyway they came up trumps.  Am I disqualified for cheating? >:D  or do I get extra points for ingenuity? >:D >:D

Got a few jobs & must do then, like Arnie, I'll be back to address why I can't count the number of letters in parsnips... :-[
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: November 17, 2019, 01:05:35 AM »
Hi Jack

I've racked my brain cell & I'm unable to offer a plausible explanation as to why I can't count the number of letters in the word parsnips :laugh:

Sadly no biccies or lieu time for today.  I do get paid but by the time I've paid tax, national insurance & pension it's not that great!  Still it's
athea
6, 4 (remove last 2 letters), 1, 4, 5, 3, 4, 4, 1, 3, 3, 4  :laugh:

Your post made me chuckle & definitely warmed the cockles of my heart :)
I'm sorry but I can't agree with your being a has bean!  I found something called a Great Northern Bean which is more appropriate.  However, as you're in the Southern Hemisphere it's not strictly accurate :laugh:

What do you call an arrogant criminal going downstairs?
A condescending con descending

A plateau is the highest form of flattery

What do you call a pig that does karate?  A pork chop

A bit of a mixed bag!  I was channeling Blue's dry cleaners joke from a day or 2 ago!

A&E has suddenly got very busy.  Everyone's got out of bed, got up & fallen over :laugh:

Two hours to go & counting....

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:07:34 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: November 17, 2019, 05:08:56 AM »
Am I disqualified for cheating? >:D  or do I get extra points for ingenuity? >:D >:D

Hi Pen,

a quickie between  :-Z :-Z

I'd say neither.  The object of the puzzles is to provide a small challenge to the little grey cells and to have fun and occasionally to learn something new.  Getting the right answer is a bonus and how you achieve it is immaterial.  I'd say in this case all the boxes have been ticked and a lot of people have had their grey cells exercised and have had fun.. I should have saved "All the boxes ticked" up for a challenge. ;)

Spot on with the cockles.

Your challenge has me puzzled.  The pattern is particularly important because there are so many variations on the same theme.  The most common seems to be "Better than a slap in the face with a wet fish".  The fish is often specified as cod or haddock.   In your variation "in" can be replaced by " 'round " but the second adjective for fish has me stumped so my best guess is Better than a slap 'round the face with a wet wet fish.

Here is a quick tired one for when you get home. 2,5,3,6

&

The first word is how Blue would say it.

:-Z :-Z :-Z
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: November 17, 2019, 06:41:50 AM »
Hi Jack

My puzzle was 'better than a slap round the face with a wet cod fish' but thinking about it I think it should be 'better than a slap in the face with a wet cod fish'

Your midnight oil puzzle did indeed make a fair few people exercise their brain & gave us all a lot of fun :)

I was about to give up on your tired challenge then it suddenly came to me!  If you'd have said the first word was how a cockney might say it I would have probably twigged on a bit quicker.
I was all 'at sixes & sevens'  Brilliant :)

Off to give my little grey cell a soupcon of exercise then flop into my armchair in front of the box :-Y

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: November 17, 2019, 10:19:34 PM »

My puzzle was 'better than a slap round the face with a wet cod fish'

If you'd have said the first word was how a cockney might say it I would have probably twigged on a bit quicker.

Hi Pen,

I can see why I would not have got the “cod fish”.  It is probably the difference in geographic idiosyncrasies.   In Australia, saying “cod fish” is considered a tautology - you would just say “cod”l

This is a funny little article about the topic

This is the Monty Python skit mentioned in it.

I considered using a cockney instead of Blue, but I had a sudden doubt whether they would make the "h" silent.  

I ran into Blue in the Pub today.  He has with an American, Hank, who he met in Vietnam in the early ‘70s.  He told me Hank was a font of wisdom.  Being naturally sceptical I asked him to give me some advice to prove it.

Hank said:
  • No.1. Learn from the Animals.  After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut
  • No.2. There’re two theories to arguin' with a woman; neither one works.
  • No.3. If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
  • No.4. Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
  • No.5. Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier 'n puttin' it back in.

I tossed a coin: heads-go to bed; Tails-frame a challenge.

Luckily I have a coin with two heads.  >:D

:-Z :-Z :-Z :-Z
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 10:23:50 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: November 18, 2019, 03:59:04 AM »
Hi Jack

We're exactly the same!  We would only say cod & not cod fish!  You'd never go to the chippy & ask for cod fish & chips.  Maybe it should just be 'better than a slap in the face with a wet fish' & I've adjusted it because I think 'better than a slap in the face with a wet cod fish' sounds better :laugh:  Heaven only knows but I enjoyed the Monty Python clip :laugh: I'll see your fish dance & offer you this...(apologies if I've posted it before!)
The Spanish Inquisition
Talking of apologies try this :)
Inconweeeenienced

I loved your Blue story today & your wurst has made me really hungry :-H  I have some particularly good sausage rolls in the freezer & they're calling to me!

A bit limp but the kitchen is calling me!

Far too easy & possibly a repeat >:D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: November 18, 2019, 10:18:37 PM »
Hi Pen,

I think your sign off was See you soon, Brigadoon.

You might be interested in this article on Bundanoon is Brigadoon

Thanks for sneaking in another prayer to St Andrew.  I played like a hairy goat last week but today I came second in the club competition.  Admittedly, there were only 20 players but it was a big turnaround in form.

Blue told me how to embarrass and please a medium at the same time – just throw them a surprise party

I asked Blue whether he had ever had a premonition.  His response was “No, but I have an eerie feeling that someday I will

Here’s one to end with –  One word 13 letters. Components are 2,3,4,4(homophone of first name)

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: November 18, 2019, 11:57:22 PM »
Hi Jack

You were quite correct about Brigadoon :)

I will continue to offer up my prayers to St Andrew :)  Your hairy goat comment made me roar with laughter :)

Work's busy today so I'm making a flying visit.  Your puzzle has me stumped ???

See you later...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: November 19, 2019, 01:54:26 AM »
Unputdownable?  very clever!

of
3, 2, 2, 3, 4, 2, 3 (remove 1st letter), 5

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: November 19, 2019, 10:45:13 PM »
Hi Pen,

I think the answer to your puzzle is one of your favourite idioms.

It's funny (I'm sure we've had this conversation before!) how we use funny expressions without barely thinking about it.  One of my favourites is "it's black over Will's Mother's" or "I'll go to the foot of our stairs".

Well remembered, Pen.  Because on 5 February you asked why we say it?  The best I could do was quote from this source.  It was often used by George Formby and although nobody seems to know why, it was reserved for some surprising but not earth-shattering news.

You’ve cracked my puzzle again,  The WWW write-up is worth a read.

Blue got arrested in the supermarket yesterday.  Apparently when the Checkout chick said “strip down, facing me” she was referring to his visa card.

Actually, Blue is noted for his gracious manners.  He was woken up one morning at 4.44 A.M. by his ringing telephone… “Your dog’s barking, and it’s keeping me awake,” said an angry voice. Blue thanked the caller and politely asked his name and number before hanging up. The next morning at precisely 4.44 A.M., Blue called his neighbour back.  “Good morning, Mr. Williams… Just called to say that I don’t have a dog.

I’ll stick with WWW for today’s puzzle  3,4’s,6

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:47:15 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: November 20, 2019, 01:57:12 AM »
Hi Jack

Just gearing myself up for a busy afternoon on fracture clinic!

You have an amazing memory :)  I'd totally forgotten about our previous discussion!  It wasn't that long ago either :-R  Was your challenge 'big girl's blouse'?  Took me a couple of visits to suss it.  I was starting with poster & that flummoxed me :laugh:

I loved the animal pictures :)  Made me really chuckle & cheered up a very cold, grey day.  I had to scrape the ice of my car this morning.  Just the start of things to come I'm guessing :(

I'm going to
and

Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: November 20, 2019, 05:23:28 AM »
You have an amazing memory :)  I'd totally forgotten about our previous discussion!  It wasn't that long ago either :-R  Was your challenge 'big girl's blouse'?  Took me a couple of visits to suss it.  I was starting with poster & that flummoxed me :laugh:

Actually, Pen, I have a poor memory which is why I make extensive use of the tools at hand. It doesn’t always work but the search tool at the top of the page has saved me many times from posting repeat material.  I certainly don’t have the time or the energy to go back through previous posts page by page. I don’t know about you but I am finding it harder and harder to get new material of acceptable standard.

You nailed my puzzle. I thought the pattern would be a dead giveaway. WWW gave it an interesting write-up

I notice you have been mean and stopped using patterns.  ;)  Was your last puzzle 4,3,6,3,7,4.

Must go.  I  might have time to get an hour’s kip in.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:27:53 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: November 20, 2019, 06:44:42 AM »
Sorry Jack I wasn't being mean!  honest >:D  I got busy & finished in a hurry & totally forgot!  You are correct about it being 4, 3, 6, 3, 7 4.

It's funny some days I find stuff quite easily & then others as you say it's much harder to find material that is worth posting.  I will take any suggestions and/or guidance from you.  I never thought about using the search bar which is why I probably end of repeating myself sometimes.

I found the article about 'big girl's blouse' interesting :)  Odd how some things end up as part of our language. 

Have a fab Wednesday :)