Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814397 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #3015 on: November 02, 2019, 05:46:47 PM »
Hi Jack
I can't believe it's your turn to pick the gee gees again already!  Seems to have come round very quickly. 

I got the first Keith Richards cartoon.  They're saying he's very ancient I think!  No idea what the second one is all about ???

I think this one was 'Goldilocks & the Three Bears'

Hi Pen,

You were rushing off to one of my favourite meals – Bangers and Mash. :-H

You would be right about my turn coming around quickly if I had lost my turn but by some miracle I have made a profit on each of the last 3 weeks.  Even though it was a profit of only $7 last week, we only have to break-even to go again the following week.  None of us have ever managed to go 5 weeks on the trot, but here’s hoping.

I had to google Keith Richards and the Daily Dead.  I found out Keith Richards is a Rolling Stone and the Daily Dead is a website devoted to the horror industry and they have a page in Facebook (where I came across the pictures I posted).  I thought the two were related but on having another look probably not.  I couldn’t work out why either was worthwhile posting on Facebook, but as my sense of humour is diminishing with age I thought I would consult a young person.

Spot on with the challenge.  You are too good.  I thought I might catch you by making one word spread over 3 images and one image account for three words but I did put those at different heights give you a clue.

I was flummoxed by your puzzle.  From the early images It had to be “You can’t judge a book by its cover” but for the life of me I can’t work out the relationship of the last image with “cover”.  At first I thought it was a picture of Isaac Newton’s 1666 demonstration that white light could be broken up into its composite colours by passing it through a prism.  Google, however, revealed it was the cover of the album “dark side of the moon” by Pink Floyd, whoever he or she is ;).  Good one, Pen.

I liked your flying series.  However all I could come up with is a random selection.

And now for the challenge: 4,3,5,4,3,5

P.S.  The last race just finished.  One day the top dog, the next day the lamppost.   I got $51 which means I lost $69, so I won’t have to do the horses for another six weeks and hopefully longer.
Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: November 02, 2019, 06:01:12 PM »
I think the clue for the 'Daily Dead' puzzle was the name on the pills - Dr. J Garcia.
I don't know very much about rock music - I normally only listen to jazz or classical - but I do know that Jerry Garcia was, until his death in 1995, the lead singer of a very popular American rock band called 'The Grateful Dead', whom their many fans simply referred to as 'The Dead'.

The small picture on the bottle is the clincher - it's the band's official logo.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: November 02, 2019, 09:49:34 PM »
Thanks Mike :)  a mine of information as usual :)  I've heard of The Grateful Dead but that was as far as it went!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: November 02, 2019, 11:02:28 PM »
Hi Jack

Work is busy & the rugby is a disaster :'(  Well done to the Springboks :)

You're obviously getting the knack of picking the right gee gees!  Maybe you should set up as a tipster ;)

I would argue that your sense of humour is far from diminishing.  I didn't think either of those cartoons were even remotely funny. I did, however, enjoy random selection :laugh:  Especially the wine one >:D  I'm struggling with today's challenge.  I reckon my luck has finally run out :laugh:  I will return to it after lunch & hope that a ham sandwich & a bag of crisps helps with the brain cells :-H

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 11:06:46 PM by Hobbit »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: November 02, 2019, 11:10:00 PM »
Just had another quick look at the challenge before I scarper for a quick lunch break & noticed your last comment :o  You lost the money oh dear!  Sadly you wont make a success as a tipster :(  On the plus side you haven't got to select any likely winners for a few weeks ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: November 03, 2019, 12:00:30 AM »
I  just woke up and thought that morning had come quickly and then looked at my watch and found it is not midnight yet.

Mike, thanks for the info. For my sins, I know next to nothing about  contemporary music and musicians.

Pen, I will give you a small hint - count the pounds and remember that a pound can also be a unit of weight as well as a unit of currency.  

I hope the next time I wake up it is daylight.  :-Z :-Z :-Z
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: November 03, 2019, 01:57:12 AM »
Thanks for the hint Jack :)  Would never have got it without!  'kill two birds with one stone'  Very fiendish & very clever!
I was beginning to think that

4, 3, 3
before I solved it!
Yes I know it's far too easy & a bit feeble but it's the best I could do in the circumstances :laugh:

I'll leave you with a couple of naff jokes & the hopes that you managed to sleep right through.  Home in just over an hour :)  Can't wait!!

Jack was furious when his steak arrived cooked too rare.
'Waiter,' Jack shouted, 'Didn't you hear me say "well done"?'
'Of course I did, sir, I can't thank you enough, sir,' replied the waiter. 'I hardly ever get a compliment.'

Classic Bus Driver Joke
The driver was just about to press the button to close the doors, 'Is everyone aboard the bus?' asked Dave the driver. 'No,' called Mavis, 'please wait until I get my clothes on.'
Well, all the passengers turned their heads towards the door.  What they saw surprised them, a young woman was wrestling a bag full of laundry up the bus steps.

God Phones Noah to Order a New Ark
Expecting bad weather? OK, same specs as last time?
Nope, this time I want 20 decks says Noah
20! That's huge. OK, kitted out for the animals as usual?
No, this time it's for fish.
FISH! OK, you're the boss. I'll get the whole selection, cod, haddock, skate . .
No, just carp.
Just the one type? Carp
Yep, that's right carp.
OK, says Noah, but can I just ask why?

I just fancied a multi-storey carp ark!
GROAN ;D

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 02:02:40 AM by Hobbit »

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: November 03, 2019, 06:42:09 PM »
Hi Pen,

I slept right through to daylight, but it didn’t help me to solve your puzzle.  Before I looked at the pattern, I was sure it was “Pigs might Fly” but then I saw it didn’t fit the pattern 4,3,3.  So I need help, please.

A couple of random memes that made me smile, not laugh out loud like your last jokes did.

And one with you in it, Pen

I suppose you remember Blue was over your way with his missus and they decided it was time to come home. So he calls Qantas Airlines to book his flight.

The operator asks him, 'How many people are flying with you?'

Blue replied, 'Strewth mate, how would I know.  It's your plane.'

I don’t think this puzzle will give you any problems’   5,4,2,5,6,4,2,5

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: November 04, 2019, 04:22:56 AM »
Hi Jack

I just did a longish post & hit preview & it said my session has expired. :'(  Hasn't happened for yonks so I hadn't copied it.  Anyway I'll try & recreate it!

:-[  Oops I obviously had an off day yesterday.  You were quite correct in your assumption that pigs might fly.  The count should have been 3, 5, 3

We have an ex MP, Michael Portillo, who does very interesting programmes travelling on various railways. The UK, all over Europe & the US.  He's now down in your neck of the woods.  I missed the beginning of last night's programme.  He was in Sydney & then travelled to the Blue Mountains.  Simply beautiful scenery.  He had a ride on the steepest railway in the World.  It was more like a short rollercoaster.  Very scary :o
We think he's colour blind.  He wears the most colourful combination of clothes.  Last night he had orange trousers & green shirt!

See what I mean? :laugh:  He uses the 1913 Bradshaw's Guide.

I was out with Bex this morning foraging for sloes to make sloe gin (or vodka)  It was chilly & damp but we had fun despite getting wet & muddy!  the sloes are now in the freezer.

My first cartoons is quite topical!

This is 8, 2, 1, 6
You need to remove the first letter from the 2nd picture.  The 3rd picture is an English TV producer.  Sorry but I was running out of time & stumped.  I need this after losing all my post earlier >:D
Off to the kitchen to see what's there....

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: November 04, 2019, 09:09:56 PM »
Hi Pen,

I don’t know that I had heard of Sloe Gin. I looked it up and I don’t think I would have the patience to wait 3 months to sample the product.

You haven’t told me whether you solved my latest puzzle.  But I can wait to hear because Patience is a Vertue.

The Blue Mountains are a lovely place, but I will leave Val to expand on that.

I pulled up a bit tired from golf today, so this is a short one.

Blue settled back in the Highlands after his overseas trip but then he was given the job of driving a road train of hay out to drought-stricken West Queensland.  As he crossed the border he hit and killed a wild Boar.

Blue, seeing a lot of meat on it, put it in one of the compartments to sell at one of the stops. He sells it to the landlord at a hotel he’s staying at.

The next morning he walks down to the dining room and asks for breakfast.

The landlord says“We’ve got roast pork, barbecued pork, pork sausages, pork burgers, bacon, and pork stew from the boar.”

Blue says, “I’ll have some pork sausage, but first I’d like a glass of water

The landlord responds “ok but we’ve only got bore water

Blue says “Geez, mate, you don’t waste anything do you?”

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: November 04, 2019, 09:52:49 PM »
Hi Jack

It's monday again already :(  Don't feel like I've had much of a weekend after the long day saturday.

I did solve your last puzzle.  I was having problems posting yesterday & when I went back to redo it I think I missed that.  'fools rush in where angels fear to tread'  It was a clever challenge & took me 2 visits to solve it!

“A plane crashes on a desert island. There are only a few survivors: three Spanish people, three French people and an Englishman. Six months later: one of the Spanish men has killed the other and is now living with the Spanish woman, the three French people have decided to become a threesome and the Englishman is still waiting to be introduced to the others.”

Ireland’s great playwright George Bernard Shaw on cricket:
“The English are not a very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity.”

Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly. But when they lit a fire in the craft, it sank, proving once and for all that you can’t have your kayak and heat it.

A small random selection & now I must assume my role as a professional receptionist as the clinic's hotting up & getting busy :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: November 04, 2019, 11:38:44 PM »

9, 6, 3, 3
I've tried to be a little bit devious but it's still easy peasy! The second picture is from my favourite telly programme :laugh:

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: November 05, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »

Mine opened mute.  The symbol to click to enable sound is in the lower right hand corner.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: November 05, 2019, 09:25:40 PM »
Hi Pen,

That was a clever one but I think it might be Curiosity Killed the Cat.  I am assuming Wild Cat Blues was the association with George Melly.

My challenge today is not in the WWW but I am assured it is a well known British idiom.  It would certainly apply to Boris Johnson’s Brexit proposal. 4,5,4,1,5,6 and it is so easy.

This is not funny but I think it is cute and is feel-good.

Click here to see if you agree.

This one’s not funny either but it is not feel-good if you're an Aussie.

Blue delivered the load of hay and he needed to get back quick because the next day was his son Ocker’s birthday.  So, he got his mate to drive the road train back down south and he hired a GT V8 to get home quickly, figuring he was safe from being caught on those deserted outback roads, because you can see other vehicles miles away.  He was wrong.  Those Queensland cops are like chameleons and Blue got pulled over for speeding.

The cop walked to his car window, flipping open his ticket book, when Blue said with a cheeky grin, 'I bet you are going to sell me a ticket to the Queensland Policeman's Ball. 'The Cop replied, ' Queensland policemen don't have balls.' There was a moment of silence. He just realized what he'd said, closed his book, got back in his patrol car and left.

Now Ocker was old enough to drive he borrowed a mate’s car and got his driving licence.

He then asked his dad if he could borrow the ute.

Blue was not all that keen on his son hooning around in his beloved V8 Holden, so he set some conditions; "You bring your grades up from a C to a B average, study your bible a little, and get your hair cut. Then we'll talk about the ute"

Ocker thought about that for a moment, decided he'd settle for the offer, and they agreed on it.

After about six weeks Blue said, 'mate, you've brought your grades up and I noticed that you have been studying your bible, but you haven't had your hair cut'.

Ocker said, 'You know, Dad, I've noticed in my studies of the bible that Samson had long hair, John the Baptist had long hair, Moses had long hair...and there's even strong evidence that Jesus had long hair.'

To this Blue replied, 'Yes, and did you also notice they all walked everywhere they went?'

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:30:38 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: November 06, 2019, 03:01:07 AM »
Hi Jack

I had it in my head that the nickname for jazz musicians was cat.  It's quite possible that I've just made that up :laugh:

It took a lot of work with my little grey cell but I think your puzzle is 'more holes than a Swiss cheese'.  I have heard of it but I would probably say more holes than a colander!  The grandparents story made me smile & your jokes & cartoons made me properly chuckle :laugh:

Nearly home time