Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821583 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #2880 on: September 26, 2019, 05:39:43 AM »
Sorry Jack it was a bit obscure >:D
Back to the grindstone baritone!  Very glad I haven't got to eat my hat :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: September 26, 2019, 08:48:20 PM »
Hi Pen,

That was a great sign-off.  A challenge that is easy to solve is not worth it's salt.  

As soon as I wrote it I thought where does that expression come from?

The expression to be worth one's salt, which means you're competent and deserve what you're earning, is most often said to have its roots in ancient Rome, where soldiers were sometimes paid in salt or given an allowance to purchase it.   The word salary is derived from the Latin “salarium,” which originally referred to a soldier’s allowance to buy salt.

Zephyr is hanging on.  He has very little stamina and spends much of his day sleeping.  But he hasn't lost his sense of fun and enjoys his routines.  He doesn't seem to be in pain.  We take it one day at a time.  

Aussie Humour

Dad Humour

Gotta

« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:55:59 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: September 26, 2019, 11:26:42 PM »
Hi Jack

I enjoyed reading the explanation about it's not worth it's salt. Interesting :)  It's funny (I'm sure we've had this conversation before!) how we use funny expressions without barely thinking about it.  One of my favourites is "it's black over Will's Mother's" or "I'll go to the foot of our stairs".

I was so pleased to read that Zephyr still has his sense of fun & is enjoying his routines.  It's good to know he's comfortable & still getting a little pleasure from his life.

The Aussie Humour (especially the spelling >:D) was brilliant.  I think your sign off was gotta scoot boot.  Love the dog :)

Work is surprisingly busy today.  I have some lieu time saved up so hoping to scarper a bit earlier today.

This tickled me ;D
The photographer for a national magazine was assigned to get photos of a great forest fire.  Smoke at the scene was too thick to get any good shots, so he frantically called his home office to hire a plane.
'It will be waiting for you at the airport!' he was assured by his editor.
As soon as he got to the small, rural airport, sure enough, a plane was warming up near the runway. He jumped in with his equipment and yelled, 'Let's go! Let's go!' The pilot swung the plane into the wind and soon they were in the air.
'Fly over the north side of the fire,' said the photographer, 'and make three or four low level passes.'
'Why?' asked the pilot.
'Because I'm going to take pictures! I'm a photographer, and photographers take pictures!' said the photographer with great exasperation.
After a long pause the pilot said, 'You mean you're not my flying instructor.'

Found this while looking for other stuff

Easy Peasy ;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: September 27, 2019, 04:57:43 PM »
Hi Pen

Sign offs:  I’ll give you 95% for I’ve gotta scoot, Boot.  To extra 5% you would have had to identify it as a Wellington Boot..  I’m guessing your sign off was I’ll be back, Jack.

I know you have not got much patience with the current politics but I think this article and cartoon are worth a look.  You will remember that John Hewson, in the loosest sense of the word, is a neighbour of mine  i.e. he lives in the Southern Highlands and I met him a couple of times.

It’s been a bad week for ScoMo, BoJo, and Trumplethinskin

Liked your story and images – particularly the Border Collie one.

Now Pen do you identify with any of these?:

An underage weasel walks into a bar. The bartender notices the underage weasel and says "I'm sorry I can't serve you anything with alcohol" the weasel responds with "Not even one beer?" The bartender says "No I can only serve you water or pop"

"Pop" goes the weasel.

See you round like a

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: September 27, 2019, 11:11:57 PM »
Hi Jack

Enjoyed your post very much :)  I do identity with all 3 cartoons :laugh:  I am totally sick to my back teeth of the whole situation here.  I wish that we could tow Parliament out into the sea with all the politicians & let it sink. I'm seriously actually beginning to believe that we don't live in a democracy any more.  I thought the cartoon & article were very interesting.  Meanwhile I'm going back to being an ostrich!  I can't do anything so there's no point in getting cross & frustrated so I will continue to ignore it until I can get a vote in a general election.  Although then I would like the option of "none of the above" please.

I knew that the boot was a welly so it's my own fault I lost 5% off my mark :-R  I'm still trying to solve today's but I don't think see you round like a skid pan really makes any sense at all or see you round in a spin either ???  I will return to it later but I have been summonsed by my friend Barbs to go & partake of a cuppa :)
No1 Daughter is coming later for dinner :) :-H  Looking forward to seeing her.

I'll leave you with a little Matt!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: September 28, 2019, 01:17:49 AM »
Hi Pen,

The sign off was a bit obscure unless you are a car nut,  This picture makes the message "easy peasy" to quote someone I know.

Just looked in at the golf in Scotland.  Carnoustie and St. Andrews are having miserable weather. Kingsbarn is looking a bit better.  Hope the weather is better down your way
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 01:42:14 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: September 28, 2019, 04:42:57 AM »
Thanks Jack.  Never heard of it but I know & love a doughnut when I see one >:D

Funny old day here weather wise.  One minute nice & sunny & the next torrential rain & very windy.  When I was driving back from B's I had my wipers on as fast as they would go & I still struggled to see very well.  By the time I got home 10 minutes later sun was out again.  I've had a cobweb on my wing mirror for a week or 2.  I thought the rain would wash it away but no it's still there!  The most indestructible cobweb ever :laugh:  Bet the spider who made it is hiding in the dry behind the mirror!

Hope you & the chooks are sending them home :-Z

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: September 28, 2019, 09:32:48 PM »
Hi Pen,

Bit knacked tonight, went to Sydney to see some friends and the traffic was exhausting, so a lazy post tonight.

I hate bullies.  Particularly those who when challenged play the victim.  I think this cartoon is self explanatory,(I just noticed they all had their heads buried in the sand).

Outside of the Majors, my favourite golf to watch on TV is the Dunhill championship.

this is a bit of background.

Sounds like you have been having Scottish weather.   According to one of the golf commentators, Mark James, a Yorkshire man, so of course not being known for speaking his mind, if you don’t like Scottish weather, just wait half an hour and you will get something different.  To me, it all just seemed miserable – but I love the courses.

A man walks into a dentist’s office.

Receptionist: Can I help you?

Man: I think I’m a moth.

Receptionist: Well, if you think you’re a moth, why would you come to a dentist?

Man: The light was on.

I’m off to bed,
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:10:15 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: September 29, 2019, 01:20:27 AM »
Hi Jack

You're right about the cartoon.  I agree with you totally (as is often the case!) about bullies.

We still have a howling gale here though thankfully less rain than yesterday.  Zoe & I have just been out for a walk & nearly got blown away :laugh:
I definitely don't envy the golfers playing in those conditions.  I enjoyed the article about the Dunhill championship. I didn't know Justin Timberlake was a fair golfer.  If it's on telly here it will be on Sky >:(  Sadly I wont have the chance to see any of it.  I'm astonished that the Rugby World Cup is on normal telly here :o  As it's in Japan the timings not great but at least we have the opportunity to watch it :)

Found this on Will & Guy's website.  Hope I haven't posted it before :-[

A Golfer accidentally overturned his buggy.
Kerry, a 'beautiful' golfer who lived in a villa on the golf course heard the noise and yelled over to him. 'Hey, are you okay, what's your name?'
Wayne, I'm Ok,' he replied.
Wayne, forget your troubles. Come to my villa, rest up and I'll help you get the cart up later.'
'That's mmmmighty nice of you,' Wayne stammered, but I don't think my wife would like it.'
Aw come on,' Kerry implored. She was very pretty and persuasive.
'Well okay,' Wayne finally agreed, then added, 'bbb..bbut my wife won't like it.'
After a hearty drink and driving and putting lessons, Wayne thanked his host, 'I feel a lot better now, but I know my wife is going to be really upset.'
'Don't be silly,' Kerry said with a smile, 'she won't know anything. By the way, where is she?'
'Under the buggy.'

These tickled me :)

Off to see what I can find to cook

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: September 29, 2019, 09:50:53 PM »
Hi Pen,

I recognised the Chinook without resorting to my usual tricks – good one, though.

Your excellent golf images motivated us to go and play today.  The resident champion won the comp and I came second.  Not really a big deal as only 11 people played.

I wish you hadn’t mentioned the Rugby.  I decided to watch it.  I used to defend Rugby against League but apart from being disappointed at the result, it seems they spend more time waiting for decisions than getting on with the game.

Last year at Manor fields, Bletchley RUFC were playing the Gosford All Blacks’ on a Saturday afternoon.  You would know they have a reputation for being feisty rivals.

On the day of the match, the weather conditions are absolutely appalling, and as the home team coach is addressing his team, he says. ”Right, gentleman, because of the weather conditions, our main tactic today will be to kick ahead “.

The burly cauliflower-eared prop puts his hand up and says,” Anybody’s head in particular “?

This was not really fair so here are some hints.

Images 1,2 & 4 are homonyms.  Image 3 is a present participle.
image 5.  What Aussies would call him even if they didn't know him.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:17:50 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: September 30, 2019, 01:28:31 AM »
Hi Jack

I got as far as "We'll be seeing you..."  Sorry can't make out the guy with the bins ???

I don't think second out of 11 is too shabby.  Hopefully as our weather is going to the dogs yours is improving & you'll have an incentive to play a bit more ;D

I loved your rugby cartoons :laugh:  I do like a bit of rugby union but I do know what you mean about stopping & starting.  If a game flows then it's very entertaining.  I prefer it to football anytime!

On my hunt for a rugby joke I found this & it made me chuckle :laugh:

The owner of a bar in Wanaka is holding a competition to find the 'perfect woman', the prize is $NZ 1,000 and tickets for a rugby game.
Amongst the tasks the aspirants will be expected to undertake are:

-Back a trailer load of hay
-Change a car tyre
-Clear a pool table
-Darn a sock
-Lift a ram into shearing position

As reported in the 'Sun' in Australia.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: September 30, 2019, 08:31:29 PM »
I got as far as "We'll be seeing you..."  Sorry can't make out the guy with the bins ???

My sign-off:  I'll give you another day to work it out, Pen.  As the hint indicates you don’t need to identify the person.

Your sign-off: I'll be Campo, Nicklaus.  No, that doesn't seem right. How about I'll be {full) back, Jack?

Thinking about Campo brought back some memories for me.  David Campese (born 21 October 1962) played his first game of rugby union for the Queanbeyan Whites in 1979 in fourth grade. During 1980 he was promoted to first grade. 

I played against the Queanbeyan Whites while Campo was still a twinkle in Gianantonio’s eye and when he was still in nappies.  The Whites had one of the hardest front row forwards I ever played against.  He was about twenty years older than me, about 5ft 6 in high, five-foot-wide and if he had a neck it wasn’t obvious, and but he was a great bloke to have a drink with after the match.

You might be interested in a bit of Aussie trivia.

Why are redheads called "Blue" or "Bluey"?

Mostly coined in Australia than anywhere else in the world, ‘bluey’  or "blue" is (generally) used as an affectionate nickname for a redhead.

It is thought by some to have derived from the early 1900s as a form of irony. Blue is evidently contrasting with red, thus being used as a joke.

However, others believe that the source of this nickname came slightly earlier, around the mid-1800s. Irish immigrants arriving in Australia looking for labour gained a reputation as heavy drinkers and fighters, with ‘blue’ being local slang for a fight. The term evolved to come to mean a redheaded Irishman and then any redhead.

While I am in a reminiscing mood and given I was watching golf at St Andrew’s this morning, here a couple of photo’s from 2006.  This morning the commentator mentioned the new course was only 150 years old.

New Course
Swilken Bridge

We have the pest control man coming tomorrow for the annual inspection and spraying on the principle that prevention is better than cure.  I am ignoring suggestions I might be in danger. :D  So it gives me a theme for today

A fly is buzzing around on a hot summer afternoon when he notices a smaller bug on his back. He asks the smaller bug, “Are you a mite?
The smaller bug says, “I might be.”
Says the fly, “That’s the worst pun I’ve ever heard.”
The mite replies, “What do you expect? I just made it up on the fly!”

1st word = 2nd word – easy peasy.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: October 01, 2019, 12:19:11 AM »
Hi Jack
& I'm a bit

The only thing I can come up with for your previous sign off is we'll be seeing you bluey.  I think that was with a bit of help from your extra hint!
I got chop chop lollipop :)  As you say easy peasy :laugh:

I enjoyed your reminiscences :)    I thought it was a requirement of a rugger bugger, especially those in the pack, to not have a neck!  Campese was a phenomenal player. As was Dan Carter :)  I think The All Blacks are favourites to win the world cup.  They're the team everybody fears! This morning somebody here suggested that Ireland didn't try that hard against Japan as it meant they wouldn't have to face the Kiwis any time soon >:D  I got to thinking about the Welsh rugby team in the 1970's.  All the lads at my school wanted to be Barry John!  From there I moved onto Max Boyce.  I tried to find The Outside Half Factory on Youtube, forgetting of course that we're banned from looking at it!
The golf course pictures are brilliant.  I loved the one of you on the very famous bridge :)

A small random assortment

Patients are coming thick & fast so I'd better give up trying to multi-task.

Not just easy peasy but easy peasy lemon squeezy :laugh:

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: October 01, 2019, 12:42:32 AM »
Damn! I missed an opportunity with the pest control man >:D 

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: October 01, 2019, 05:51:58 AM »
Don't know what happened to my cartoon ???  I'll try it again

I found the Outside Half Factory but it was on a page on Youtube with a load of other stuff.  I couldn't post a link.  It's not important & I doubt it's your cup of tea anyway.  I love it & I could listen to Max Boyce reading the telephone directory :laugh:
Pen