Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821332 times)

a non-amos

• Glossologian
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #2790 on: August 29, 2019, 12:46:43 PM »
Regarding vegemite . . .

I stumbled across the secret recipe for vegemite.  Start with salt.  Add salt.  If your blood pressure can stand it, add more salt.  If not, add twice as much.  Any additional flavor or nutritive value is coincidental.  Serve with salt.

On a more serious note, this concentration of salt would kill any form of brewer's yeast, and would certainly not make a good beer.  Maybe they started with the yeast residue and added a very few veggies and more and more and more salt?

On an unrelated topic, it appears that I have been working for my company for exactly half a minute.  Today was my thirty second anniversary.  I'm guessing they did not drag out a stopwatch for this.

- A
Carpe digitus.
(Roughly translated, this is possibly the world's oldest "pull my finger" joke)

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: August 29, 2019, 03:33:46 PM »
That is very funny A non.  Sounds about right!  When my partner was working in Georgia (the Russian one, not the American one) he discovered that the Georgians absolutely adored the stuff.  And they would spread it centimetres thick onto their bread.  Actually, onto anything.  After a while the Aussies took to hiding their vegemite stash from the Georgians but they always made sure they brought in extra supplies when they visited.
I'll sleep in my next life

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: August 30, 2019, 01:27:44 AM »
Hi Pen,

The forecast was a bit out  for yesterday.  It got to a tropical 8oC, the rain didn't come until after we'd finished golf and the wind gusts were twice as strong.  Nevertheless, I was totally knacked and needed a certain amount of medication, >:D

I am glad the doctor diagnosed the problem and hope you will be your tip-top sparkling self in no time. Did she give you a couple of days off work?

I couldn't get Rowan Atkinson to work.  You might need to check the URL.

I puzzled over your sign-off for more than 20 seconds until I remembered Benjamin Pierce's nickname.  You might be interested in this article.

It's funny how something can trigger a long lost memory.  The exchange between Val and a non-amos made me remember the favourite saying of a rugby mate of more than 50 years ago about blokes he didn't particularly admire - He's weak as piss: half as salty and twice as warm.

Well, the chooks are getting lonely. :-Z

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:42:04 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: August 30, 2019, 02:43:11 AM »
G'day Jack

The doctor did give me a couple of days off work thankfully.  I'm awake coughing all night & doze on & off during the day. I'm hoping to feel like a new woman (or perhaps a new man >:D) once the antibiotics do their job ;)

Sorry I can't get Mr Bean to work :(  There are 2 or 3 different versions of it & none seem to want to play when I post them :o  I wonder if it's our beloved BBC again?

Thought I'd try a little Pam Ayres instead.
Physical Exercise

If that doesn't work I might have to commit hari kari :laugh:

Loved your sign off :)

I'm off to the kitchen to see

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: August 30, 2019, 02:48:12 AM »
Don't know what I'm doing wrong but Pam doesn't work either :o

I've heard a variation on your old rugby playing mate's way of describing people he wasn't too keen on but I can't bring it to mind.

I very much enjoyed the article about the real Hawkeye Pierce by the way.

Getting hungry & tummy's rumbling :-H

Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: August 31, 2019, 12:04:37 AM »
HI Pen,

Today we had a very welcome visitor come to stay with us for a few days.  I haven’t been told but I think it has to do with what we are celebrating on Sunday.

That said I might just make do tonight with a few weak Dad Jokes;

After a big dinner with suitable accompaniments, I am a bit short of inspiration, so

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:17:24 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: August 31, 2019, 02:03:04 AM »
Hi Jack

I seem to have solved my problems with both of those clips.  I consulted an expert & he gave me some very good advice :)

Mr Bean

Pam Ayres Exercise

No1 Daughter has just arrived for her dinner & is staying over which is brilliant :)  Hope I don't give her my horrible lurgy.

Is your visitor Andrew?  & what are you celebrating on Sunday?  I've been racking my brains to try & think what happened a year ago.  I will endeavour to do a little homework to compensate for my Winnie the Pooh brain :laugh:

I rather enjoyed your Dad Jokes!

Gotta

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: August 31, 2019, 02:19:33 AM »
Sussed it

It's Father's Day on Sunday :)

I'd better get cooking :-H
Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: August 31, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »
Hi Pen,

Your little grey cells are firing on all cylinders – how’s that for a mixed metaphor?

Solving your technical problems and getting a rosette in the same day shows the antibiotics are working and by comparing your brain with Winnie the Pooh’s brain, you have given me my first theme: The Wisdom of Winnie the Pooh.

Little Billy returns home from school and tells his father he got a reprimand from his teacher for his answer to an arithmetic question.

FATHER: "Why?"
BILLY: "The teacher asked, 'How much is 2x3?' I said "6,"
FATHER: "But that's right!"
BILLY: "Yeah, but then she asked me, 'How much is 3x2?'"
FATHER:"What's the fucking difference? "
BILLY: "That's what I said!"

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 04:03:28 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: September 01, 2019, 03:05:26 AM »
Hi Jack

I was looking for a "flying visit" cartoon of some sort & found this instead.  Tickled me :laugh:

I love your wisdom of Winnie the Pooh :)

I'm having a "ping" meal tonight :-H  A quick curry - very lazy but I don't care >:D

I'm still trying to figure out your sign off... :laugh:

The microwave waits for no man..(or woman :D)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: September 01, 2019, 05:05:10 AM »
Just popped back to say

Hope you have a splendid day filled with the people you love.

Here's a silly joke for you!

A group of chess enthusiasts checked into a hotel and were standing in the lobby discussing their tournament victories.

After an hour, the manager came out and asked them to disperse.

"But why?" they asked.

"Because," he said, "I can't stand chess nuts boasting in an open foyer!

Will you be doing a little Dad Dancing? >:D

Off to slump in front of the

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: September 01, 2019, 10:49:44 AM »
Hi Pen,

I loved your great posts.  They give me a lot to talk about so no jokes today.

My Previous Sign Off:  Farewell, Gazelle.

I googled Gazelle.  Most of the pictures were grazing gazelles which were a dead giveaway.  A number of others were of big Cats (lions, leopards, etc) attacking gazelles, which I thought most inappropriate.  And one was a cartoon of a dancing gazelle which tickled me and that’s the one you got.

Your Sign Off:  Off to slump in front of the Telly, George Melly?

It had me fooled for a while because I thought the message was in the picture on the Telly until I (aka google) identified the man in the second image.

Ping Meals:

This was a term I was unfamiliar with although you had used it before and I had not followed it up.  Your post this time made its meaning clear but I checked it to make sure.  It will become part of my vocabulary because it is very descriptive.

Your Cartoons:

I loved 3 of your cartoons, particularly the Queen-Trump one.  But I can’t work out the Aunty Acid one, possibly because “Ass Bowl” is not a term I have heard before and the google investigation revealing one of its meanings is a euphemism for “Arsehole” did not help me.  You’ll have to explain it me.

Silly Joke:

Not silly at all!  You know I like jokes where the punchline is a play on words, so keep them coming.

My Fathers Day (so far):

Thanks for the best wishes.  I can’t compete with Phil Mickelson on the golf course or the dance floor, so I won’t be doing any dad dancing.  Well, unless I celebrate more than I intend to. >:D

As you guessed, Andrew is here with us and I got a phone call from my daughter from Brunswick Heads where she, son-in-law and the grandkids are celebrating their father’s day.

I got three cards for the day which were all excellent but the one from my daughter tickled her mother and I have attached a picture of it.

As well, she and Andrew pitched in to buy me a special bottle of single malt (described below) and which I am hanging out eagerly for the sun to get over the yardarm to sample it.

Quote from: Glenmorangie
Signet

A fusion of unique and rare elements, and clouded in secrecy, Signet is the culmination of a lifetime's experience. A blend of our oldest whisky and spirit matured in a selection of the world's finest casks, this undoubtedly is the richest whisky in our range.

Of course, whilst the exact secrets of its production are known only to our whisky creators, we can tell you that Signet's melting sweetness and explosive spiciness is, at least in part, caused by our unique roasted 'chocolate' barley malt and the 'designer casks' made bespoke for Glenmorangie from American white oak. Non chill-filtered

So I am a happy chappie. :-)

From to   here’s a
Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: September 01, 2019, 06:08:20 PM »
  Hi Jack

Sun is over the yard arm.  I used that expression to a young man yesterday and he hadn't
  a clue what I was talking about.  Is this a generation thing?

Anyway the sun is over the yard arm somewhere in the world so you can have a drink anytime you

That's my theory and I am sticking to it

Enjoy your whisky

Carol

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: September 01, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »
Hi Carol,

I was patient and was rewarded.  It was like liquid silk.

I hope Father’s day went just as well in your household.

Best wishes
Regards, Jack

blackrockrose

• Cryptoverbalist
  • Muswellbrook, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Rosetta Writes
« Reply #2804 on: September 01, 2019, 08:53:10 PM »
Hi Jack

Is ozzymAndias your son?

If so, I think you have just achieved a Chihuahua first, with three members of the family getting a rosette in the same game (today's 7-by-many)!!!

Not 'king of kings' perhaps, but king, queen and prince  :D

Rosetta