Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814315 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #2595 on: June 27, 2019, 08:54:18 PM »
Hi Jack

Firstly please tell me when you changed your picture!  I've only just noticed & I'm wondering if I've been completely unobservant :o

I keep forgetting that it's winter where you are.  We're set for a few warm days now after weeks of persisting rain!  A lot of Europe are struggling with abnormally high temperatures at the moment.  Your revised golfing arrangements sound spot on.  Particularly if it means you wont have a very long drive to get there.  Are your sea-side courses like some of the links courses here?  Royal Birkdale I think is where they have The Open?

A small somewhat feeble joke then I'm off for my lunch :-H
Father Murphy struggles to greet the wedding guests at the entrance to St Bernadette’s Church.
He doesn’t say much and he looks very uncomfortable but the congregation know him to be a bit shy.
As the bride arrives, Father Murphy makes his way to the altar and, as the couple approach, he gives the best speech anyone has ever heard.
Not only is it an excellent speech, full of wisdom and insight but he appears to be confident and he has everyone rolling on the floor laughing.
After the couple have made their vows and everyone is leaving, Father Murphy steps down from the altar and once again he becomes tongue-tied and shy and barely says a word to anyone.
Feeling a little sorry for him, the groom says, “I hope you don’t mind me asking Father, but why are you so shy now? You seemed like a different person when you were up there giving that speech earlier.“
“I know“, Father Murphy responded, “but that was just my altar ego!"

Sleep tight & don't let the bedbugs bite :laugh:
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: June 28, 2019, 04:51:01 PM »
Hi Pen,

I think I changed the picture on Tuesday night.  The photo was taken the day before.  I liked it because it was a good one of Zephyr, but this didn’t come out in the miniature, so I have attached the original photo.  The T-shirt I am wearing was one of the presents from my daughter who lives in Brisbane.  It is a replica of the Maroons (Queensland) Rugby League State of Origin Jersey.  I think she got extra pleasure from the fact that I barrack for the Blues (NSW).  They are 1-1 with the deciding match in Sydney on 10 July.

Actually, I had another look at the courses the Vets visit, and they are not strictly sea-side courses but they are closer to the sea than the Highlands.   The Highlands are on a plateau that is between 500m and 900m above sea level to the west of the Great Dividing Range Escarpment.  The courses that are visited are on the narrow coastal plain to the east of the Great Dividing Range.  I don’t think any of them are Links Courses and they are certainly not of the same standard as the Open courses,.

The Open rotates around a number of golf courses – The next is at Royal Port Rush in Northern Ireland in three weeks’ time.  The Open is always played on a coastal links golf course.  Royal Birkdale was chosen as the host course in 1940, however, due to the Second World War the event did not go ahead. It was not until 1954 that Royal Birkdale hosted the Open.  It has since been held there another 9 times, the last in 2017.  The Old Course at St Andrews has hosted the most championships with 29 in total, most recently with the 2015 Open Championship.

I was curious about your theme for the images.  You are not working up courage to take a flight are you? :D

Your joke was anything but feeble.  It is the type of joke I particularly like where the humour in the punchline is a play on words.

A lady comes home from her doctor's appointment grinning from ear to ear. Her husband asks, "Why are you so happy?" The wife says, "The doctor told me that for a forty-five-year-old woman, I have the breasts of a eighteen year old." "Oh yeah?" quipped her husband, "What did he say about your forty-five-year-old arse?" She said, "Your name never came up in the conversation."

A boy is selling fish on a corner. To get his customers' attention, he is yelling, "Damn fish for sale! Get your damn fish here!" A pastor hears this and asks, "Why are you calling them 'damn fish.'" The boy thinks quickly and responds, "Because I caught these fish at the local dam." The pastor buys a couple fish, takes them home to his wife, and asks her to cook the dam fish. The wife responds surprised, "I didn't know it was acceptable for a preacher to speak that way." He explains to her why they are dam fish. Later at the dinner table, he asks his son to pass the dam fish. He responds, "That's the spirit, Dad! Now pass the bloody potatoes!"

Regards, Jack

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: June 28, 2019, 09:32:08 PM »
Looking good, Jack. Dunno who's better looking - you or the dog.  Both very cute.  All the best, Val.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:44:05 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: June 29, 2019, 05:31:58 AM »
Hi Jack

Have to completely agree with Val :) Great picture!

What you said about The Open was interesting.  I hadn't noticed that it's always played on a links course.  You really are a mine of useful information :)

No!  I'm not planning on flying anywhere anytime soon :laugh:

I'm a bit like the cow's tail this evening - all behind!  I've had a busy day with shopping & housework & getting my hair done :o  Think work might have been a gentler option :laugh:  Just contemplating a slump in my armchair with a nicely chilled sauvignon blanc.  It's not from your near neighbours but from Chile.  Not too bad for a supermarket special offer!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: June 29, 2019, 06:22:12 AM »
Hi Val,

You are very kind.  Thank you.  All the best to you,too
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: June 29, 2019, 09:59:02 PM »
Hi Pen,

I am not really a mine of information.  But I do have an assistant, Mr Google, who is a know-it-all and I make good use of him. :D

I have been catching up on my reading/listening over the last week.  I get the Kindle versions which the editor-in-chief prefers and the talking books which I prefer.  Actually I find comprehension is improved if you listen, and therefore get the right accents and pronunciation,  while you read.  The two I have knocked off this week are the latest in a series

* Jacquelin Winspear, The American Agent, (Book 15 in the Maisie Dobbs series).
* Martin Walker, The Body in the Castle Well, (Book 12 in the Bruno, Chief of Police Investigation series).

I had thought as each series went on the quality was going down a bit but these latest two are as good as any in the series.

I have just started on the second latest Donna Leon Brunetti, The Temptation of Forgiveness.

For Nerds Only:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:01:17 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: June 30, 2019, 02:18:22 AM »
Hi Jack

Zoe & I are sweltering here today!  We're sat indoors with all the curtains drawn :laugh:  When I got in my car this morning to get my paper & some bread it said 28c at 10.30!

I have to confess to being a bit of a lightweight where books are concerned.  I enjoy a lot of Chick lit (as Zoe scathingly refers to it :laugh:) and am currently enjoying the new Catherine Alliott. I love M C Beaton who wrote Agatha Raisin.  She's a larger than life character & you alternate between feeling a bit sorry for her & wanting to throttle her!  Have you read any Robert Goddard?  His book always have a good twist at the end but without too much blood & guts to get there!  I enjoy listening to audio books in the car.

I've found a funny joke/story that tickled me.  Can't post it so I'll have to attach it at the bottom & hope for the best!

Gotta go eskimo :)  Off to the kitchen to see what's not cooking!

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: June 30, 2019, 07:27:52 AM »
Jack

You write:
"if you listen, and therefore get the right accents and pronunciation,"

Often, but regrettably not always. You'd think audio readers would research the pronunciation before starting - my copy would be littered with notes! (Even so, I'd miss some - Brynmawr (big hill) is just up the hill from us, and years ago it wouldn't have occurred to me that, presumably having taken the name with them, Americans would pronounce it differently.)

However, I was disappointed by Derek Jacobi (no less) reading "Daughter of Time" and pronouncing Tonypandy as Tonee Pandee, and Mel Gibson getting a ?Cornish? name wrong. In "My cousin Rachel" perhaps?

I've thought books set in New Zealand must be particularly difficult for outsiders to read.

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: June 30, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »

However, I was disappointed by ..... Mel Gibson getting a ?Cornish? name wrong. .

Why would you be surprised?
In Braveheart, one of his most famous films, he got almost everything wrong.

;D

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: June 30, 2019, 01:50:43 PM »
Hi Anona,

You have made me realise that I made a naive assumption.  Just because the pronunciation sounds credible to me does not mean that it sounds authentic to a native speaker or someone local to the area.

In fact, I should be the last person to make a judgement on pronunciation, particular in French.  Back in the day, I just read the first couple of Bruno novels.  On the third one I just listened to the Audio and decided he must have shifted towns because the reader said he came from Sandeneee whereas I knew from my reading that he came from Saint Denis. :-[

On Brynmawr, Is this pronunciation correct?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:55:09 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: June 30, 2019, 04:58:25 PM »
Hi Pen,

I am envious of the temperature you had yesterday, although your forecast predicts it is going to be a bit cool for the rest of the week.  The temperature seems to suit the Australian Cricket team. >:D

I have not come across Catherine Alliott.  Is the one you are reading A Cornish Summer about one first wife, one second wife and one mother-in-Law?  I can’t remember if I told you the answer to the polmomice puzzle was Mother-in-Law.

I have not read M C Beaton but I am familiar with his characters Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth because they were in successful TV series.  We particularly liked Hamish Macbeth and one one of his characters TV John McKeever.  

June says we have a couple of Robert Goddard novels in our bookcase, but I have not read them.

I’ve been reading a book on antigravity. It’s so good I can’t put it down. :D

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:33:21 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: June 30, 2019, 10:13:59 PM »
Jack: the "mawr" is spot on for Wales - not for the US, of course, who pronounce it as the Welsh word "mor" (sea)!   It might well have been a slight blip in my sound quality, but we'd make the "r" in Bryn a bit clearer than my tablet made Emma sound - it almost disappeared.

Sandeneee - know what you mean! A golf club near Newport here is San Pierre, not Saint Pierre as I assumed at first.

Mike: I couldn't watch Braveheart, not being a liker of lots of blood, guts and torture (among other things). It sounds as if that was a good choice.  But the remake of "Edge of Darkness" (Bob Peck) with Mel Gibson was so dreadful I don't think I'll ever watch anything new with him in it again. Perhaps it was the film-makers' fault, not his, but even so ...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: June 30, 2019, 10:35:57 PM »
Hi Anona
I think Mike's spot on about Braveheart.  I've never managed to watch more than about 15 minutes of it.  Partly because of Mel Gibson & partly, like you, I don't like blood, guts & torture.  I remember going to the pictures to see The Patriot.  It was interminably long & a truly awful film.  I think I went & sat outside after about half an hour because I couldn't stand it any longer!  Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: July 01, 2019, 12:19:41 AM »
Hi Jack

I'm beyond frustrated!!  I spent about half an hour putting together a post & then just as I was signing off my laptop froze & then closed itself down >:(
Not sure I can remember all of it now ???

Best less said about the Aussie cricket team the better!  They are riding high in the World Cup at the moment!  I've been listening to Test Match special & as it's the lunch break was just going to go out for a walk.  My boys are doing very well against India :)

I am reading a Cornish Summer.  Not far enough in yet to give an opinion but it's good so far.  I don't think for one minute it would be your cup of tea!
Which Robert Goddard books have you got in your bookcase?  If you get stuck for something to read I would certainly give one a whirl.
I loved Hamish Macbeth when it was on the telly.

Thanks for solving the mother-in-law puzzle!  I meant to ask you but it slipped my mind.

It wasn't until I read your post for the second time that I got your joke about the antigravity book :-R

A small moderately amusing joke!
William Tell Overture?

There is evidence that William Tell and his family, as well as great bowmen were also avid bowlers.  Unfortunately, all the league records were destroyed in a fire. Thus, we'll sadly never know:  for whom the Tells bowled.

(O.K, you try saying: 'for whom the bells tolled' after a few Gluweins, or what ever the Suisse drink.)

My internet is getting slower & slower & keeps stopping so I think I'm going to quit before it gives up again!
  Pen

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: July 01, 2019, 05:35:54 AM »
Gosh, Pen!

I looked at reviews of The Patriot, and from the serious, thoughtful ones can see why you would have walked out. I would have had too as well. I'm so sorry about some of the good actors that got involved in it - I wonder if they had regrets.