Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 819370 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #2580 on: June 22, 2019, 02:13:16 AM »
Hi Jack

I looked up both of your long words & I'm not sure I'm any the wiser :laugh:  Why didn't you just go the whole hog & use
antidisestablishmentarianism?  Although if I could be bothered to count the letters I don't think that's as long as your friend's original disease :laugh:

I loved your snippets of Clive Swift (Richard) :)  I always end up feeling sorry for him when I watch Keeping Up Appearances.  Just now & then he would get the better of the dreadful Hyacinth >:D Beach pictures hilarious :laugh:

I hope you enjoy your visitor & single malt nightcaps :)  Perfect excuse >:D

Couldn't resist one more little bit!
Riparian Entertainments

Off to the kitchen to see what's cooking good looking :-H
petit pois!

Actually it's fish, chips & mushy peas but I don't think it's got quite the same ring to it :laugh:
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: June 22, 2019, 09:42:14 PM »
Hi Pen,

I promise this is my last word on long names

The longest words in Oxford Dictionaries are:
•   antidisestablishmentarianism - opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England - 28 letters
•   floccinaucinihilipilification - the estimation of something as worthless - 29 letters
•   pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis - a supposed lung disease - 45 letters
The 20-volume historical Oxford English Dictionary includes other very long words, most of which are highly technical. These include:
•   hepaticocholangiogastrostomy - 28 letters
•   spectrophotofluorometrically - 28 letters
•   pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism - 30 letters

Something in a lighter vain:

A great chicken casserole and the odd glass of shiraz has limited my searching powers tonight and so:

Whether you beg or borrow, keep this in mind for tomorrow

Regards, Jack

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: June 23, 2019, 02:59:44 AM »
There's also honorificabilitudinitatibus'.

It's a nonce word (made up to be used on just one occasion) which Shakespeare has a character say in Love's Labour's Lost, satirising the schoolmaster (Holofernes(?)) who is fond of using big words.

The German 'Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitan' (The captain of the River Danube steamship) dwarfs them all.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: June 23, 2019, 05:10:50 AM »
Crikey Mike I can't compete with that!!  I'm always amazed at how much information you have stored in your brain :)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: June 23, 2019, 05:37:48 AM »
G'day Jack

I've had a very busy so flying in & out!

Hope you enjoyed your shiraz :laugh:

See you soon :)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: June 23, 2019, 02:49:22 PM »
Hi Pen,

Quick challenge: how do you pronounce potoooooooo.  The answer is at the bottom of the post if you need to check.

Disclosure:  It’s a bit

English:

Answer: Potatoes.  POT -eight Os
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: June 24, 2019, 02:29:04 AM »
JACK

I liked your potoooooooo :)
I came up with roforkad & noongood.  Not exactly brain taxing :-R

I was looking for something else & I've no idea what base jumping is ???  Have to look it up!

Anyway I'm going to venture into the kitchen!  It's bangers again :-H

Monday again tomorrow already :(

Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: June 24, 2019, 03:29:16 PM »
Pen

I needed some help to get my mind on a wavelength with your puzzles in your excellent post.

Here are some more in the same vein

DECI  SION   step step pets   ch poorri   Blood   water

S
T
ONE

house
----------
Prairie

Charades:

Just as well that I had a good gym session this morning because I’ve had a big roast lunch washed down with Shiraz and a Cheesecake with Muscat and I’m off for a poppy nap.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 12:19:27 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: June 24, 2019, 11:43:43 PM »
JACK

I solved all your puzzles bar one!  ch poorri?  Has me baffled (not difficult as you know :laugh:)

I loved your cartoons - made me laugh out loud!  Naughty & funny :laugh:

Your lunch sounds perfect :-H  I can't remember when I last had a roast dinner.  Lamb is my favourite!

Three guys stranded on a desert island find a magic lantern containing a genie, who grants them each one wish. The first guy wishes he was off the island and back home. The second guy wishes the same. The third guy says: ‘I’m lonely. I wish my friends were back here.’

Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: June 25, 2019, 01:02:46 AM »
Nearly home time :)  I just had to tip my hat to your Editor in Chief!  I've just noticed that she's got a rosette on the 7-by-many :)  Brilliant. I don't know why but I can never get very many words on this puzzle.  I think the repeating letters baffle me (is there a theme going on? :laugh:)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: June 25, 2019, 09:30:17 PM »
Hi Pen,

The editor in chief is the wizard with words in our family, closely followed by OzzymAndias, and I come a poor third.  OzzymAndias returned to Canberra today, so we are feeling a bit lonely and I have no excuse for a single malt nightcap. :(

You are a whiz on those word puzzles. I would have missed three if I didn't cheat.  For those who are still puzzling, the answers are:split decision; two steps forward, one step back; take from the rich and give to the poor, blood is thicker than water (this was not obvious on an iPad as I discovered too late, as it doesn't support the necessary fonts); cornerstone; and the little house on the prairie.

Just to keep you in practice:    gra 12" ve    polmomice    wineeee

Darby and Joan:

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: June 26, 2019, 04:05:49 AM »
Hi Jack

I'm a bit like Usain Bolt this evening

I had totally forgotten that I promised an old work colleague that I would call round after dinner for a cuppa & a catch up!  So I need to get my skates
on!

I sussed a couple of your puzzles & will have another bash at the last one tomorrow.  Cartoons hilarious :laugh:  loved them!

A pity your visitor has returned to Canberra.  I've no doubt you'll see him again very soon :)  Do you need an excuse for a small single malt? >:D

Penx

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: June 26, 2019, 05:08:37 PM »
Do you need an excuse for a small single malt? >:D

This was answered in a previous post. A is OzzymAndias

Because I like single malts so much, I have strict rules about drinking it at home.  It is only permissible if
    * I have a cold or flu - it doesn't cure the illness but it makes the symptoms a lot more bearable.
    * I come home from golf, on a cold and rainy day, chilled to the bone.
    * A's visiting and then we have to have the ritual nightcap - traditions must be upheld.
    * It is a special occasion.  I tried to convince June that days ending in "y" were special, but she wouldn't buy it.

So, until one of the criteria is satisfied the presents A bought up for me (pictured in the attachment) will have to remain in the cupboard,

You’ve done very well again with the word puzzles.  I would bet that the two you have got are One foot in the grave and win with ease. If I am right, a hint for the remaining one is a much denigrated relative.

More Old People:

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: June 26, 2019, 10:36:09 PM »
Hi Jack

I had guessed that A is OzzymAndias! :)  I do also remember your restrictions on the enjoyment of single malt.  It slipped my silly brain which is doing a good impression of a gold fish or a sieve :-R
Very impressive presents from A.  Seems a pity that they have to stay in the cupboard but I'm sure you'll get wet playing golf sometime quite soon >:D

You were spot on about which of the 2 puzzles I'd solved.  I'm still baffled over the other one - even with your extra clue to help.  I will have to apply myself to it again later!

Work is quite hectic today :o  Normally Wednesday's are quite nice & gentle.

Mon Ami

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: June 27, 2019, 05:12:43 PM »
Hi Pen,

We made out last regular pilgrimage to Brighton Lakes this morning;  we drove almost all the way in the dark.  Membership there is on a financial year basis and we have decided not to renew our membership.  We will, of course, renew our membership with our primary club, Highlands at Mittagong.  We have also joined the Southern Highlands Veterans who play once a week on a rotation around 4 local courses as well as making occasional visits to play on nearby sea-side courses.  So we won't be playing less golf just doing so at a more sociable time with less travel.  We can also make the occasional visit to Brighton Lakes when the days get longer to play as visiting members with our group of friends there.

I am knacked and in severe need of a poppy nap so no themes today just a few random memes that appealed to me.

Regards, Jack