Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820376 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #2265 on: March 21, 2019, 01:20:31 AM »
Jack

One of our radiographers (she's from South Africa) took the citizenship test so I had some idea of what it was all about but I had no idea it was quite so obscure :o
Like you I knew the Crimean War question & Land's End/John o'Groats.  I did know the Elizabeth tower for Big Ben & I'd heard of the Butler Act but wouldn't have got it without you telling me!  I most definitely could identify Jenson Button ;D

Sorry to hear it's been a bit wet for golf but I did enjoy your cartoons :laugh:  I do like those that are a little naughty ;)  The Minion one with the man still looking at his thumb has caused great hilarity amongst my friends & work colleagues.  So has your very hot weather disappeared?  It seems only a few days ago you told me you had a tremendous thunderstorm.  Hopefully the weather at Brighton Lakes will be kind to you.

A nun and a priest decide to take a day off, so they go golfing.
The nun gets a hole-in-one, but the priest hits it into a sand trap.
He's so angry, he shouts "God dammit, I missed!".
The nun reminds him not to take the Lord's name in vain, and the priest apologizes and tries again.
He hits it into the rough, and in his anger, shouts "God dammit, I MISSED!".
The nun once again tells him not to take the Lord's name in vain, and he apologizes again.
On his third shot, he hits it into the water and yells "GOD DAMMIT I MISSED!" and before the nun can say anything, a bolt of lightning strikes the nun, killing her instantly.
Out of nowhere, a loud voice booms "God dammit, I missed".

Thought that might tickle your funny bone :laugh:

I found the last cartoon just in case I'm repeating myself!  Have a feeling I might have had the frogs jumping out of the water before :-R

Happy Swinging :)

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: March 21, 2019, 05:43:45 PM »
Hi Pen,

Great cartoons and Joke.   They were sorely needed.

We didn't get to golf today.  Last night our elderly dog, Daisy, had a turn and lost the use of her hind legs.  We took her to the Vet, and he said he would observe her overnight and that we should come back at 9:30 this morning.  When we got there, he said there was little or no chance that she would recover and get back to any quality of life.  He recommended euthanasia and we reluctantly accepted his advice.

I am a bit down today so I am not going to search for humour, but it doesn’t mean I won’t appreciate yours if you send me some more.

You asked about the weather and all I can say it is crazy.  We’ve had 236 mm of rain this year and 115mm of that was in the last week.  We’ve had record high temperatures around Australia but last week a low got trapped between two highs and didn’t shift.  The result was a week of winter temperatures in the Highlands.  We are told we are in for more hot weather before winter sets in.  We have two separate cyclones in Northern Australia while there are bushfires raging in three States.  Weather in Australia is seldom boring.

The only thing that doesn’t ring true in this next bit is that I don’t really believe in heaven anymore and the dog is not a Border Collie

Regards, Jack

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: March 21, 2019, 07:13:46 PM »
  So sorry to hear about your Daisy and I am sure you and June will be having a good cry at the
 oddest of time.   I have lost 1 border and 2 cats in the last year and although I still have a dog and
 cat when I see their graves in the garden tears still come    I just hope that your other dog isn't grieving too much cos they do you know

My love to you both and think of all the wonderful memories I am crying while writing this

arol

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: March 21, 2019, 10:33:20 PM »
So sorry about Daisy. I have loved and lost many dogs over the years and I still think and talk about every single one of them. We will meet again Over the Rainbow Bridge. I can't do attachments etc but look that poem up if you haven't seen it. All my love . Christine.X

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: March 21, 2019, 11:36:05 PM »
Sorry to hear about Daisy, Jack. Pets do nuzzle into our hearts, don't they? Virtual hugs to you and June.
Madeleine x

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: March 21, 2019, 11:44:25 PM »
Hi Jack & June

So sorry to hear about Daisy.  I can only echo what Carol & Christine & Madeleine have said.  My heart goes out to you both.

I'll leave the humour for today & perhaps try & find something tomorrow to lift your spirits a little.

Love & a big hug Penx
I love Madeleine's suggestion of a virtual hug :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:49:13 PM by Hobbit »
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Ozzyjune

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: March 22, 2019, 09:40:53 AM »
Carol, Christine, Madeleine and Penny

Thank you for your messages.  They were very much appreciated by Jack and me.

We will remember that except for the last little while Daisy had a very happy life and was the source of much joy for us.

Kind regards
June

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: March 22, 2019, 02:32:21 PM »
Hi Carol,

Thank you.  After reading your post, I did some research on whether dogs grieve at the loss of one of the pack and the overwhelming conclusion is that they do.  Zephyr is exhibiting several common characteristics.

One example last night: we have had a tradition for many years that just before we retire at night, I call out “goodnight, puppies” and they come from wherever they are (even if it is outside) to settle on their favourite mat to receive a pat and a small edible treat.  Last night when I made the call, Zephyr came and settled on Daisy’s mat.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:42:34 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: March 22, 2019, 02:39:25 PM »
Hi Christine,

Thank you.  I had not heard of the Rainbow Bridge.  With Google’s help I found the poem.  Click here for it.

Thanks again.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: March 22, 2019, 02:41:28 PM »
Hi Madeleine,

Thank you.  Your question reminded me of an Anatole France quote – “Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”

That virtual hug worked a treat. :)
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: March 22, 2019, 03:24:53 PM »

Hi Pen,

Your response as usual was just what was needed.  But now, I think, healing will be assisted by returning to normal.

It's a pity I didn't see this last night, but I paid the price at the gym this morning.

I got this in an email this morning and it tickled me. 
An 8 year old girl from Australia sent a note to the pilot of flight Qantas 278 from Sydney to Wellington, NZ on August 12, 2013. 
I have attached the note.

Looking forward to you spirit lifters
Regards, Jack

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: March 22, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
June: I wasn't going to add my expression of sympathy to you both, although it is heartfelt because I know I have grieved more intensely and for longer for an animal than I have for most people. I think it is because animals need us more and they show us that need.

However, your response reminded me of the poem The Last Battle, which I found again searching for "If I should grow frail poem". I don't know if you know it?  I'm not able to attach a link to it - an image of the whole poem comes up, which is a bit 'in your face' if you'd rather not have it thrust at you.

Ozzyjune

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: March 22, 2019, 07:38:38 PM »
Thank you, I did not know the poem. I think it sums up Daisy’s situation perfectly. It did bring tears and comfort, to me and to some big person sitting beside me.

Best wishes
June

Maudland

• Cryptoverbalist
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: March 22, 2019, 09:01:54 PM »
Anona, 😭

I'm going to have to go back and read that note to the pilot again ...

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: March 22, 2019, 10:48:09 PM »
Hi Anona,

I think it is worth posting the link.

Click here for the poem "The Last Battle"
Regards, Jack