Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 822561 times)

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #2055 on: February 02, 2019, 01:15:13 PM »
I posted the following the other day but it apparently got lost in the update but I had a draft on Word so I have recreated it.

Pen, it appears we decided it was time to give up on the Yorkshire theme at the same time.  Snap :D

Hope the golf went well :)

All I'll say about my golf for the past two days is that it didn't come from Yorkshire. >:D  It was a bit warm, 95 and humid at Highlands yesterday.  100 and quite pleasant at Brighton Lakes today, but just as well we played early because on the drive home the car thermometer registered 106.

I came across a web site with Yorkshire jokes.  Some of them I couldn't translate into Aussie so I couldn't tell if they were funny but I did like these :D

At a cricket match a fast bowler sent one down and it just clipped the bail.
As nobody yelled "ows att" the batsman picked up the bail and replaced it.
He looked at the umpire and said "windy today int'it".
"Ay" said the umpire "it is, mind it don't blow thee cap off walking back to t'pavillion ".

A couple had been courting for nearly twenty years and one day as they sat on a seat in the park she plucked up courage and asked,
'Don't you think it's time we wed?'
He answered,
'Aye lass, but who'd ave us?'

Police have just released details of a new drug craze that is being carried out in Yorkshire nightclubs. Apparently, Yorkshire club goers have started injecting Ecstasy just above their front teeth.
Police say the dangerous practice is called "e by gum"

I think I am about Yorkshired out

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:44:24 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: February 02, 2019, 01:55:46 PM »
Thanks for the update, TRex.  Sounds like you came through with flying colours.  We never doubted you wouldn't. ;) 
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: February 02, 2019, 05:31:07 PM »
I've been having withdrawal symptoms without our exchanges :laugh:
Since we last spoke I've had a couple of inches of snow overnight.  Luckily I didn't have to go out early for work but No1 Daughter wasn't so fortunate.  Our local council have made a good job of clearing the roads so driving wasn't too hazardous ;D
I have another New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc chilling nicely in the fridge for ron!
It's called The Ned & I had to share the description written on the back with you. It really tickled me.  As you probably have a more refined palate than me you might get it.
Exuberant lime citrus & wet stone minerality underpinned by layers of crunchy green capsicum & woody hedgerows. The palate presents this amalgam of punchy greens on a plush yet elegantly proportioned frame shot through with a nervy lingering acidity.   What on earth is that all about?

I've left Yorkshire behind!  We'll have to come up with another topic to amuse ourselves.

It was only a bit over two days, Pen, but it did seem longer.

We haven’t had any extreme weather in the Highlands but we have had some funny temperature patterns (see the attachment)

Lucky Ron particularly if he is a sooner Ron rather than a later Ron

This is a slightly less wanky description, Pen
The Ned is a Kiwi Savvy with a more mineral accent, offering structure indicative of Marlborough region. The tropical elements still shine gooseberries aplenty and a dainty touch of fruit sweetness in the finish. The citrus fuelled aromatic thread that dominates the nose carries through to the palate with concentrated flavours of mandarin and musky pink grapefruit. Fine, ripe acids and a slightly heightened sense of roundness characterise the palate makes this a must try wine.
This article Click here is a useful guide especially if you can read the fine print in the diagram.

I asked my border collie if she had any inspiration for a new topic.  See the attachment for the reaction,  I was surprised the Geordies and the Scousers didn’t try to outdo the Yorkshires with their local yokel sayings or is there so little difference it wouldn’t be worthwhile

Will put the thinking cap on

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:45:32 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: February 03, 2019, 06:53:51 AM »
Ey Up Jack
Is it only two days?  It did feel longer!  How funny :)
I much prefer the description of the wine that you found.  I have the second half of the bottle waiting for me this evening :) I think you summed up the description on the bottle perfectly!  Wanky :laugh:  Thought the kiwis had more sense >:D  Mind you it probably wasn't bottle in New Zealand!
Thanks for re-posting your post that I missed ???  Blimey does that make any sense?
I'm not sure if we have any Scousers or Geordies on the Forum?  When I think of Scousers I always think of Cilla Black.  Despite the fact that she lived in a posh area of Buckinghamshire for umpteen years she had a dreadful accent that grated on me.  It was really accentuated.  I suppose I shouldn't speak ill of the dead :(
In the absence of any suitable suggestions from your border collie I too will get my thinking cap on!

I am totally in love with your dog! If you can't come up with a topic any time just post more pictures :)
My last bit of Yorkshire...
Tarra
Pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: February 03, 2019, 11:07:55 AM »
I'm not sure if we have any Scousers or Geordies on the Forum? 

Strictly speaking I'm not a Geordie as I wasn't born on Tyneside;
I went to school in Newcastle, however, although I lived in County Durham, which is far enough north for us to regard 'Yorkies' and 'Lankies' as southerners!!
Best Geordie accent? Probably Jimmy Nail.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: February 03, 2019, 11:19:23 AM »
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

HI Mike,

I pinched this from the "Cootie" thread because the issue I thought you might be interested in has nothing to do with that discussion.

Back in the day, when I was employed by the Department of Veterans Affairs I used to visit lots of RSL clubs.  A point of sometimes vigorous debate between various clubs was should the word be condemn or contemn.  

As an aside, you probably know that at all Australian RSL clubs at Sunset every day, all activity ceases, the Ode is read, followed by a minute's silence.  Anybody who speaks or plays the pokies during this time is subject to instant banishment.

Anyway, I thought you might be interested in this Article which canvasses the issue rather well I think. Click here.

Another article claimed that when the "Times" first published the Ode in September 1914 the typesetters made an error.  When I looked for the article again I couldn't find it.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 12:25:17 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: February 03, 2019, 03:13:56 PM »
G’day, Pen,

There was a concept in your last post that I didn’t understand.  What is the second half of a bottle that is not drunk immediately after the first half. >:D

I seem to remember we had a theme of Geordie videos some time ago.  I had not heard before of Jimmy Nail that Mike mentioned, but when I looked him up he struck me as an interesting character. Click here for a sample.

The only Scouser I know of is Scouser1952.

I liked your thinking caps.  The only one I couldn’t figure out was why Mickey Mouse ears represented Capitalism.

On the Border Collie picture, I have to confess that I took a little licence.  I have not developed the skill of making animated GIFs although it is on my Bucket List to do so.   Then I will be able to do things like

So I borrowed the picture of a Border Collie from Twitter.  It was a spitting image of our Daisy and to prove it I have attached a picture of Daisy.

Be seeing you, Pen
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 03:38:24 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: February 03, 2019, 06:30:49 PM »
What an interesting Binyon post, Jack, thank you. It made me check the wording out further, and I found this presentation copy https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/manuscript-of-for-the-fallen-by-laurence-binyon where "weary" and "condemn" are written clearly. I don't know the dates of the two, but perhaps the British Library version gives his final thoughts. (Like Keats eventually settled on "joy forever" rather than "lasting joy" or "constant joy", I remember my mother telling me.)

The “Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal” reference in your link, T S Eliot, reminded me of another war poem I love and return to: High Flight. Knowing how much was borrowed from other poets https://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poems/high-flight did slightly spoil my pleasure, though, when I found out. At 19, he can't have been a mature poet.

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: February 03, 2019, 07:06:49 PM »
    hi Jack

Your Daisy is the spitting image of my Callister even down to the spot on the nose

44c today tad warm

Carol

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: February 03, 2019, 07:24:59 PM »
Gosh, Carol.  A tad warm indeed.  Where are you?  We've had a bit of respite up here in the Blue Mountains the last couple of days although we didn't reach the dizzying heights of over 40.  And so lucky this year with the bushfires.  Our hearts go out to those in Tasmania and Victoria.  And then there's the floods in north Queensland.  Go figure!
I'll sleep in my next life

2dognight

• Linguissimo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: February 03, 2019, 08:13:00 PM »
Hi Valerie

When I came to Australia I was told that it was a land of Fire and Floods  How true is that.

I live near the Murray River 250KM from Adelaide.

Just hoping that we might see some rain this year as we havn't seen much for the past 2 years

A cool change has just blown in 35C yippee

Carol

Valerie

• Word-meister
  • Blue Mountains, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: February 03, 2019, 08:46:48 PM »
Aaaah, yes, Carol.  The Murray.  A hot topic at present.  Forgive the pun.  Don't envy you people out there at present.  But just love SA.  We're planning yet another visit of the Flinders Ranges and the SA wine areas mid-year.  My most favourite downunder places.  Apart from the rest of Australia of course!  A totally addicted ten-pound pom.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 08:50:21 PM by Valerie »
I'll sleep in my next life

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: February 03, 2019, 10:12:13 PM »
Hi Anona,

The manuscript you dug up settles the issue for me.  Whatever he first wrote in 1914, it it clear that by 1938 condemn was how he wanted the poem remembered.

I liked High Flight and if we like the finished product, the way it was arrived at should not diminish our pleasure in it.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: February 03, 2019, 11:16:39 PM »
Ozzyjack you are not that far off the mark, well done you

Hi Carol,

This was your your response to my guess that you lived near Clare.  Given the extra information you gave Valerie, I now estimate I was about 240 km off the mark and that you would be familiar with the products of Angoves.

Congratulation on your raft of rosettes. The heat hasn’t slowed you down.

Daisy is now 13 and is very arthritic but still has a mind like a steel trap.  She and Zephyr send their regards to Callister.
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: February 04, 2019, 02:04:57 AM »

There was a concept in your last post that I didn’t understand.  What is the second half of a bottle that is not drunk immediately after the first half. >:D

I liked your thinking caps.  The only one I couldn’t figure out was why Mickey Mouse ears represented Capitalism.

On the Border Collie picture, I have to confess that I took a little licence.  I have not developed the skill of making animated GIFs although it is on my Bucket List to do so.   Then I will be able to do things like

So I borrowed the picture of a Border Collie from Twitter.  It was a spitting image of our Daisy and to prove it I have attached a picture of Daisy.

G'day Jack

I'm enjoying a lovely lazy sunday afternoon.  I've been walking - it's a cold, crisp, bright sunny day here.
I'm a bit of a lightweight now :-R  I can't manage a whole bottle of wine to myself!  No1 Daughter only drinks red so that's how come I had half one night & half the next.  Very yummy it was too :)
This is probably what I'd look like after the entire bottle >:D

You should have kept quiet about the Gif :laugh:  I was extremely impressed with your skill!  Still love Daisy though :)

We have this poster on the wall of our CT scanning room.

I agree with you.  I'm not sure what on earth Mickey Mouse's ears have to do with capitalism ???

See you soon baboon :laugh:
Pen

If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...