Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 822513 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #1950 on: January 09, 2019, 10:47:18 PM »
sorry Jack you posted as I posted I think ???
back to the grindstone!
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: January 10, 2019, 04:18:09 AM »
I have been a volunteer and a paid manager in a few different Charity Shops over the years and what arrives in some of the donation bags also beggars belief and yes it does include used nappies , soiled undies and many other items. A delightful surprise every time!

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: January 10, 2019, 04:18:53 AM »
I have been a volunteer and a paid manager in a few different Charity Shops over the years and what arrives in some of the donation bags also beggars belief and yes it does include used nappies , soiled undies and many other items. A delightful surprise every time so my sympathies to the fatberg removers.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: January 10, 2019, 06:26:51 AM »
Oh bloody hell that's disgusting :o  What on earth is the matter with these people?  Do they have no self respect?  That turns my stomach nearly as much as the picture of the man swinging the golf club!
Were you always living in the same area?  or was it in different towns?
Glad I've eaten my dinner!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: January 10, 2019, 09:15:12 PM »
I read the posts except for Pen’s last one before I left for Sydney this morning, but I didn’t have time to think about a reply.  As it was, I slept right through the alarm.  We had a little celebration last night with Sparkling white wine – we’re not allowed to call Aussie wine Champagne any more.

I never cease to be amazed at the heights and the depths of human behaviour.  We see the heights in the way people selflessly pitch in to help when disaster strikes and some of the depths have been pointed out in the last couple of posts.

I thought Poirot Cat was very entertaining but I am not sure he would approve of a curry meal before ice cream, Pen. >:D

Any way like this lad, I am a bit dehydrated.

:-Z
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 02:25:24 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: January 11, 2019, 02:23:17 AM »
Hi Jack
Nothing worse than sleeping through the alarm :(  makes you feel horrible.
I like a bit of sparkling wine.  Prosecco is quite nice & I do love a good champagne!  Not that I've had it many times in my life - count on one hand the number of times!
What were you celebrating that warranted fizz?
I looked for an amusing champagne cartoon but found this instead.  It tickled me :)

Presume you've been golfing in Sydney?  Hope it was successful & you won more than a ball >:D
Home soon hurrah!  The inmates are definitely in charge of the asylum today :-P
Guten Morgen Mein Freund
Frolichen Freitag :)
 Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: January 11, 2019, 02:25:45 AM »
when I post my cartoons they are enormous now all of a sudden :o Is there anything I can do to reduce them in size?
Sorry don't tell your border collies but I have a soft spot for pussy cats!
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: January 11, 2019, 03:20:06 AM »
What were you celebrating that warranted fizz?

In a hopefully short period of wakefulness, I took a quick peek at the forum. I thought your question offered a chance to issue a challenge for you to work out the answer for yourself. ???

Clues: If you are a traditionalist, it involves glass.if you are a modernist, it involves feathers. It could involve zinnias. We choose to share something from a glass.

3 hours before the alarm goes off, so I will leave the rest of the Issues until later.
Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: January 11, 2019, 05:00:40 AM »
I would hazard a guess Penny that folk are the same all over! I am a Yorkshire woman but now reside in Cumbria so I suppose my experience of peoples charitable donations is firmly northern. I will also say that I also had the most delightful surprises when I opened some bags and a few were worth a lot of money. I think my top selling donation netted the charity over £200 at auction.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: January 11, 2019, 06:24:40 AM »
Wow that's fantastic!  Do you always work in the same charity shop?  Sorry I don't mean the same shop - is it always the same charity?  I rather suspect that you're right about folk being the same all over. Where abouts in Cumbria are you?  Such a beautiful part of the world.  We have a friend who runs a B&B in Kendal.  My daughter Zoe has been up to stay quite a few times.  I have been lucky enough to visit a couple of times.  I'm half a Yorkshire woman :laugh:  My Dad was from Sheffield but sadly I've only ever lived in Bucks.  I have a cousin in the Peaks which is another wonderful place.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: January 11, 2019, 06:32:39 AM »
Clues: If you are a traditionalist, it involves glass.if you are a modernist, it involves feathers. It could involve zinnias. We choose to share something from a glass.
Sorry Jack you have me well & truly flummoxed :laugh:
I typed Zinnia into Mr Google in the hope it might give me some clue other than flowers.  All I got, apart from beautiful blooms, was a rather scantily glad lady modelling underwear >:D
I came up with 2 solutions.  It was either your wedding anniversary or you've bought a racing pigeon.  I cannot give you any logical explanations.  Just wild stabs in the dark ;D
I look forward to hearing from you later...
Pen

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: January 11, 2019, 07:10:43 AM »
I no longer work in a charity shop.Over the years I have been a volunteer (for a few year alongside my late Mum) and also a paid manager and I have worked for a few different charities. The last stint was about 6 years ago and I wore myself to a frazzle. It is hard work and so difficult to get good volunteer help. They are run like businesses now and the upper management who never darken the doors of an actual shop have unrealistic expectations.I expect that I will go in as a volunteer once I am retired.
 I now live in Kendal!! We came here with a view to retirement and now both work part time in shops until we can shake off the shackles! Today we were both off work together and along with our dog found ourselves by 9.30 crossing Lake Windermere on the chain ferry on our way to do a lovely 7 mile walk. Roll on retirement.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: January 11, 2019, 10:16:11 AM »
I came up with 2 solutions.  It was either your wedding anniversary or you've bought a racing pigeon.  I cannot give you any logical explanations.  J

One of your solutions is correct, Pen, but you are not off the hook yet because the clues were about a specific number. >:D

I can't be much help with your enormous cartoons.  Some Bulletin Board Codes have a function for resizing pictures and photos but I have not been able to make it work on our Forum.  Perhaps some of our technical experts might be able to offer a solution.  A workaround that has sometimes worked for me is to find the same object in a reduced size in a different location.

I did discuss with the border collies your soft spot for pussy cats.  They pointed out that it is no longer a hanging offence in our countries because we have both abolished the death penalty. ;D  Actually they seemed very forgiving so I suppose I will have to accept it's OK as well.

The Sydney trip was our usual Thursday Sydney golf pilgrimage but the golf was very ordinary.

I liked your selection of picture and cartoon.  Pat might like this one.

Hab ein wundervolles Wochenende

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:08:49 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: January 11, 2019, 10:54:18 AM »
P.S.

An interesting article - PLEASE DISCUSS

I noticed a statement in another thread "Roger that fellow players".  Mischievously thought that could be a double entendre. >:D

Also wondered

Regards, Jack

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1964 on: January 11, 2019, 12:13:32 PM »
When you have an image tag in your post you can specify width and/or height.

Thus you can have -

Code: [Select]
[img]https://theforum.lexigame.com/reuseclip.png[/img]
Which displays the image at its existing size:

Or you could change it to -

Code: [Select]
[img width=400]https://theforum.lexigame.com/reuseclip.png[/img]
Which reduces it to 400 pixels wide:

You don't need to specify both width and height. If you nominate either one, the image will be resized proportionately.

And remember, "The Preview button is your friend!"
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites