Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 823123 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #1215 on: July 12, 2018, 04:49:59 AM »
Oh Les you're so bloody naughty you crack me up!! :laugh:
Getting ready for my trip to Trent Bridge tomorrow.  Looking forward to it very much.  Hopefully it'll be a good, closely fought match against India.
Do hope it's not too hot but not holding my breath!
Cheers
Penx
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Les303

« Reply #1216 on: July 13, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »
Oh what a load of rubbish ;

I know that you are only going to Trent Bridge for the sole purpose of hoping to meet Joe Root in person.

I can just see you muscling your way through the crowd, sweat pouring from your brow as you push oher fans aside sending them sailing into the aisles as you make your way to the front of the queue for this once in a life time oportunity to get Joe Root's autograpgh & who knows maybe even a hug & a kiss on the cheek which, if achieved , would make you forget at least for a little while about all of those hot temperatures that you have been experiencing although i should warn you that if this should actually transpire then there is a danger that you could actually overheat & explode into a milllion pieces.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: July 14, 2018, 09:28:05 AM »
An interesting article on Sexist jokes
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #1218 on: July 14, 2018, 07:24:29 PM »
G'day Pen,

After re - reading my previous post to you, i realise that it may not have come across as intended ( just me unsuccessfully trying to be funny. )
So i was going to post a heart felt apology just in case you were actually offended, but hang on, this is Penny that i'm talking about, she has got a hide thicker than a Rhino & a sense of homour just as weird as mine & never takes anything that i say seriously.

None the less, a big bunch of flowers usually gets me out of trouble ;

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: July 15, 2018, 05:01:18 AM »
Evening Les
Far from being offended I thought your post was hilarious!  I would love to meet Joe Root.  I can't imagine me elbowing all the other fans out of the way!  I'm only 5 foot nothing :laugh:
I did get Freddie Flintoff's autograph at Headingly many years ago (about 15 I think) I wanted to tell him what an amazing cricketer he was & how he was so very entertaining.  Instead I stood there with my mouth wide open catching flies!!
However, I can't remember when somebody last gave me flowers so thanks!
Penx

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: July 15, 2018, 05:15:14 AM »
An interesting article on Sexist jokes
Evening Jack
I did read this article & found it very interesting.
I was AWOL the last 2 evenings.  Cricket on Thursday (England lost badly but we had a great day out!) & I went out for dinner with my neighbours last night which made a lovely change.
Here's a little something especially for you!
Dave Allen on Airplanes
Chin Chin
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: July 16, 2018, 04:36:18 AM »
Oh Les that's very funny!
Been to work all day today.  Hot & knacked!  Hard work driving a reception desk :laugh:
Where's Jack got to I wonder?
Penx

Les303

« Reply #1222 on: July 16, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »
Pen, you simply need to learn how to put that reception desk into " cruise control ".

This morning at work, after a very busy peak things finally started to quiet down by about 9 o'clock so i popped down to our designated smoking area.
Well it seems that all the other smokers had the same idea & as i approached the huddle, one of them quipped, geez is there anybody left up there, who's running the ship?.. no worries mate, everything is running on " auto pilot ".

Over the weekend we have had the Womens tennis singles final & the Soccer world cup final not to mention our regular menu of multiple league, union & aerial ping pong footy games as well as netball, horse racing, the trots, the dogs , motor racing & probably a few others that i can't think of at the moment so he has probably over done it a bit by trying to watch them all & is just feeling a bit knackered.

Which brings me to the phrase that you used " hot and knacked " was that a typo or is that just how you say it in England?

I am familiar with ;

knack ---- ability to perform a difficult task with ease.

knacker -- someone who leads a horse to slaughter

knackered - exhausted

knacked ---  ???

Cheers Les

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: July 16, 2018, 04:37:35 PM »
Quote from: No Kidding: Sexist Jokes Aren't Funny, They're Hostile
It's reassuring to know that men are starting to see the inappropriateness in what is often considered mainstream, harmless fun……While racist and homophobic jokes are no longer tolerated the way they once were, and people have become sensitized to the discrimination they represent, demeaning jokes involving women continue to get a free pass……. Sexist jokes not only allow men (and sadly, women) to believe that sexist behaviour falls within the bounds of social acceptability, it also reveals people's deep-rooted -- and often undetected -- prejudices about a woman's place in our world. 

I have no problem with risqué jokes.  In fact, I am a fan unless they cross the line to become demeaning to women at which time, even if considered funny, I believe they are unacceptable and make me uncomfortable being in any way associated with them.  I believe parts of two of Les’s recent jokes are demeaning to women.

The only comments on them were positive and there were no negative comments and so I might be the only one that feels this way.  So, I think the appropriate thing for me to do is to take a break from this thread until, and if, I am convinced that I could be comfortable contributing to the thread once again.

However, I don’t want to cut myself off from forumites who I have enjoyed sharing with and so, as a stop-gap measure, I have started a thread
Conversations, Jokes, Sketches and Information Sharing.
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #1224 on: July 16, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »
WOW,

Jack, i am extremely surprised & disappointed to here those comments from you, good luck with your new thread. ( am i allowed to post on it ? )

My aim has always been to simply give people a laugh, I always push the boundaries but never intentionally set out to upset anyone or any particular genre.
It is almost 3 years now since i first joined the forum & tentaviley ( despite the warnings...beware of the cliches ) began to post.
Most of the discussions were about word classifactions etc... which were all very interesting but for me soon became a bit boring so i decided to take a risk, i barged my way into the cliches & told a few yarns & jokes that were generally well recieved.

TREX, ROGUE MOTHER, AUNTIE MOE, PAT, PENNY, ANONA & many others were very quick to pull me in to line when my jokes " crossed the line "  & of course our administrator is always overseeing everything to ensure that i do not get out of hand.

To an outsider, my joke to Penny about her alterior motives to go to Trent Bridge just to get her arms around Joe Root would seem to be demeaning to women ( & Penny in particular ) but of course Penny knew that i was just joking & accepted the scenario as intended.

As for the flower joke, it is just such a ridiculous circumstance that i fail to see how anyone could be offended.

I lost my father when i was very young & as a result of that,  the domineering influences of my upbringing has been by grandmother, mother & big sister, the point being that i have enormous respect for women & i am deeply offended by this qoute of yours which insuates otherwise "  it also reveals people's deep-rooted -- and often undetected -- prejudices about a woman's place in our world.  "

All the best, Les

Alan W

• Administrator
  • Eulexic
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1225 on: July 16, 2018, 09:01:05 PM »
Les, I don't know which jokes Jack had in mind, but your recent jokes about men making excuses to grope women's breasts seem to me to be disrespectful of women and to make light of sexual harassment. When you joined the forum you agreed to a set of conditions that included:

The purpose of this forum is to make the Lexigame websites more enjoyable places to visit. Please keep this in mind when contributing to the forum.

Robust discussion is welcome, but all messages should be courteous and respectful of others...

Racism and other forms of bigotry are not acceptable in the forum...

If you are trying to "push the boundaries" suggested by these sentiments, please don't. And don't rely on me as administrator, or any other forumites, to monitor your contributions and pull you up when you've gone too far. Take responsibility for your own actions. (And I have got better ways to spend my time than reading through a blizzard of recycled jokes.)

Like Ozzyjack, I've got no objections to risqué jokes - or even sexually explicit jokes - provided they're funny and not offensive. If anyone has any doubts about whether something they're thinking of posting to the forum might be seen as offensive, just don't post it. And the question isn't whether you as a person are disrespectful of women or any other group of people. The question is whether your post might convey a disrespectful message.

And bear in mind that everything published here (yes, published) is available to be read by anybody in the world with an internet connection. You may think you're just having a laugh with a few good friends, but anybody could be reading your words and be upset by them.

Over the 11-year life of the forum I have very rarely deleted a post, and I don't think I've ever threatened to ban someone if they didn't change their ways. There were a couple of occasions where I possibly should have taken some such action, but I prefer to let people try to sort things out through (hopefully) friendly discussion.

Now, back to the programme...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:07:49 PM by Alan W »
Alan Walker
Creator of Lexigame websites

Alonzo Quixote

• Paronomaniac
  • Greenlawn, NY, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: July 16, 2018, 10:50:28 PM »
I remember one extremely annoying episode when Alan had to take direct action against some people who, in my opinion, had entered into the game for the express purpose of posting numerous commercial messages on the Forum.  I remember thinking that these people had effectively hijacked the Forum.

This happened quite a long time ago.  Over a very short period of time, their advertising messages were relentless.  However, Alan took swift and decisive action to ban these miscreants from the game and I believe he put in place some barriers to entry to prevent a recurrence of such activity by these pirates.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: July 17, 2018, 12:39:44 AM »
All resolved now, I hope. On the plus side, I wanted to say the tulips picture that you put up, Les, was absolutely beautiful. I still can't make out on my little tablet whether it's a photograph (yes on balance?) or a painting. I feel sorry for the supernumerary tulip, though.

Isn't there such a wide range of humour! I have been out of step too. For one group tutorial at uni we had to read three plays, one of which was Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. When the discussion started on it, I said "Well, it was the funniest thing I have ever read. I actually fell off the bed laughing". There was a shocked silence, then the tutor said very disapprovingly "It is a tragedy, [Anona]".

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: July 17, 2018, 04:33:03 AM »
Pen, you simply need to learn how to put that reception desk into " cruise control ".

knacked ---  ???

Evening Les
I'm trying very hard to learn how to run my reception desk in cruise control!  Trouble is the bloody patients keep getting inthe way :-R
Some of them are very impatient patients :laugh:
Knacked is simply my short form version of knackered!  Not a typo!  Know idea where it came from but I've been using it for yonks!
Cheers
Pen

ensiform

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: July 17, 2018, 04:40:42 AM »
I have no problem with risqué jokes.  In fact, I am a fan unless they cross the line to become demeaning to women at which time, even if considered funny, I believe they are unacceptable and make me uncomfortable being in any way associated with them.  I believe parts of two of Les’s recent jokes are demeaning to women.

I thought several of the jokes were offensive and unfunny.  Not to the extent I'd want to try to be a censor about it, but yes, they're vulgar and cheap in my view.  Leaning heavily on tired old tropes about women existing to serve as sexual favors and men thinking putting a hand on someone else's body is "just a bit of good fun."  Too many men think it isn't so far fetched to think grabbing a woman's breasts is part of a joke and not an assault.