Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 814171 times)

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #1095 on: June 19, 2018, 12:42:22 AM »
Jack we do invariably agree!  We all feed off each other & manage to find a wide range of topics to discuss.  Some serious & some downright silly!
I was AWOL again last nite as No1 daughter legged it with our laptop :laugh:
I was an enormous Cheers Fan & I've enjoyed all the clips & bits.  The interaction between all the regulars was brilliant. 
I found a series on Saturday nite on Netflix after starting 2 films & giving up! It's call Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries & it's set in Melbourne in the 1920s. I've only seen one episode so the jury's out!
Better get some work done..... ???
pen
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: June 19, 2018, 12:45:15 AM »
I hope this isn't an exclusive interchange I'm butting in on, so apologies if it is. I greatly enjoyed Cheers;

Please butt in as much as you like Anona.  The more the merrier!
Pen

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: June 19, 2018, 12:56:26 AM »
I think that it is best left for others to decide on a suitable name for any syndrome that i might be afflicted with, based on how they perceive me.

Pen, did you ever see the earlier series called " Cheers " which ran for many years.

G'day Les

I really loved Cheers & I can imagine you just like "Norm"  only considerably more energetic!!  But certainly propping up the bar :laugh:
How about "Twisted Humerus Syndrome"
We'll have to canvass Jack for his thoughts on the matter.
Really must do some work...First day back after a week off :(
Pen

auntiemo

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 19, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »
I've been following "silently" and just love the idea of Les having Twisted Humerus Syndrome...well done on coming up with that.
Redlands , Queensland, Australia

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: June 19, 2018, 04:31:16 PM »
Quote from: Pen to Les
We'll have to canvass Jack for his thoughts on the matter.

I am a bit hesitant to suggest any more syndromes to Les in case I inadvertently offend him.  So I am going to take the process by elimination approach.  At this stage I have eliminated two:

• Angelman Syndrome (AMS). I have no doubt that Les strives hard to be angelic but by his own admission he has a long way to go;
  • Prader-Willi (sic) Syndrome (PWS). I can’t see this being a goer on two counts. First, I have absolutely no idea what Prader means or implies.  But second, I have no intimate knowledge of the second half of the syndrome as it relates to Les.  Moreover, from the accounts he has allowed us to be privilege to, there is nothing to suggest it is not in excellent working order.

So I will get back to my research.
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #1100 on: June 19, 2018, 06:57:02 PM »
G'day Jack,

Pen commented recently that ( other than Frasier ) she did not watch a lot of American T.V. so I was glad to learn that she was also familiar with & enjoyed Cheers so thanks for finding that link to those clips featuring Frasier Crane in Cheers however your work is not complete because anona has reminded me of the one & only episode that featured John Cleese but unfortunately, I only have a vague memory of it so could you please endeavour to use your masterful googling skills to provide us with a link to that particular episode, I believe it was called " Simon Says ".

Pen seems to be on fire at the moment ( it must be the week off work ) as she has now come up with quite an appropriate & funny name for my syndrome which has been suitably endorsed by auntiemo ( its always great to hear from Moyra ).
I think that " Twisted Humerus Syndrome " would be perfect except that both my humeri are perfectly straight.
I have been quite fortunate that i have managed to avoid ever suffering from a broken arm,  so both my humeri are perfectly straight, in fact i have never sufferred a broken bone in my body & that includes my Willi which i can assure you Jack, is still functioning perfectly well, the only exceptions are a few cracked ribs a broken eye socket & my nose which has been broken on multiple occasions. ( but that is a whole different story.)

Once i determined that Cheers / The International was going to be my local i had to check out everything that it had to offer so after one particularly big Friday afternoon, i ventured down to Archers Bunker, i have absolutely no recollection of what i drank that night,  Aeroplane beer may well have been one of them but there were dozens of unique beers on offer & of course i had to sample just about every one.
The resulting hangover was the worst that i have ever sufferred, it took me three days to get over it & ever since, i don't drink anything else other than xxxx gold. ( except on special occasions.)

Cheers Les.

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: June 19, 2018, 08:45:09 PM »
I only have a vague memory of it so could you please endeavour to use your masterful googling skills to provide us with a link to that particular episode, I believe it was called " Simon Says ".

G'day Les,

You must have missed my response to Anona yesterday at 00:43:55

I couldn’t get a clip on that episode "Season 5, Episode 21 Simon Says" either, although I can get the episode on Itunes for $A3.49.

Quote from: Les
ever since, i don't drink anything else other than xxxx gold. ( except on special occasions.)

I am exactly the same but I have a special occasion on every day ending in "y"  :D

Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: June 19, 2018, 09:58:16 PM »
I found a series on Saturday nite on Netflix after starting 2 films & giving up! It's call Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries & it's set in Melbourne in the 1920s. I've only seen one episode so the jury's out!

I think you’ll like Miss Fisher.  I think I saw most of the episodes. A lot of the value in the series is the development of the subsidiary characters.  Les would be in love with Miss Fisher because she pushes the boundaries of convention and is very raunchy.  My favourite female was Dot Williams although she is a bit too sweet and innocent. Bert Johnston and Cec Yates are “true blue” rough diamonds.  Aunt Prudence (Miriam Margolyes) puts in some great performances.   Let me know how it goes after you’ve watched a few more episodes.

Pen, I think you have stated before that you are not a beer drinker so I won’t recommend the Wasatch Polygamy Porter or the Palo Alto Brewing Hoppy Ending Pale Ale to you.

Keep tippling.

Regards, Jack

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: June 20, 2018, 04:47:26 AM »

I think you’ll like Miss Fisher. 

Pen, I think you have stated before that you are not a beer drinker so I won’t recommend the Wasatch Polygamy Porter or the Palo Alto Brewing Hoppy Ending Pale Ale to you.

Keep tippling.

Evening Jack

I will stick with Miss Fisher & see how I go & report back.  I only found it because I asked for Inspector Morse ???  Can't see the similarity myself :laugh:
Netflix is slightly odd we find.  If you ask for Denzel Washington films it also includes any films with Samuel L Jackson & Morgan Freeman.  Three totally different actors but it always lumps them together.
My reasoning behind The Twisted Humerus syndrome was a bit of a naff play on the humerus being the "funny bone". (I do work in an X-Ray department as you know)  I think Les has a slightly warped sense of humour - just like you & I!
The names of the beers are very funny but not as exciting as most of the wine you recommend.
As a cricket tragic I am chuffed to bits with Englands score of 481 against Australia.  It's a new ODI record :)
Keep slurping...
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: June 20, 2018, 01:56:17 PM »

Netflix is slightly odd we find.  If you ask for Denzel Washington films it also includes any films with Samuel L Jackson & Morgan Freeman.  Three totally different actors but it always lumps them together.

I think the search engine groups subsidiary keys with the main key and gives results for the subsidiary keys as well - particularly if it can't match the primary key.  So when you search for Denzel Washington it sets up subsidiary keys such as:African American actor; has a wart on his bum; etc. So in addition to Denzel you get other African American actors and people with warts on their bum.

I will stick with Miss Fisher & see how I go & report back.  I only found it because I asked for Inspector Morse ???  Can't see the similarity myself :laugh:

It would be interesting to speculate on the subsidiary keys. "Detective series" would be obvious. However, different gender, different country, different time period.  Any clues?

The search engine can, however,  be remarkably perceptive.  I typed in Pen and Les and it came up with Beauty and the Beast.  >:D

(I do work in an X-Ray department as you know)

That might be why you can see right through us. :D

I think Les has a slightly warped sense of humour - just like you & I!

You've got it wrong, Pen, we are normal and it's the rest of the world that is out of step.  I think that's the Trump Syndrome.

The names of the beers are very funny but not as exciting as most of the wine you recommend.

I had intended to let the wine labels fade into history but by popular demand two more:
  • Delheim Spatzendreck Late Harvest Dessert Wine from Stellenbosch, South Africa - the English translation of Spatzendreck is the excrement of sparrow;
  • Coopers Creek Cats Pee On A Gooseberry Bush Sauvignon Blanc.

As a cricket tragic I am chuffed to bits with Englands score of 481 against Australia.  It's a new ODI record :)

Weeps quietly. :'( :'( :'(  I am happy for all our forumites who consider themselves English cricket supporters, even the ex-patriots.  Congratulations from a tiddlywinks tragic.

Keep slurping.

"Here's to those who wish us well, and those that don't can go to hell."
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 01:25:05 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Les303

« Reply #1105 on: June 20, 2018, 07:25:29 PM »
The current rankings for ODI teams have England at number one closely followed by India with a significant gap to New Zealand then a similar gap to South Africa who are ranked fourth.
The gap to the fifth team which is Pakistan is enormous & they are only marginally ahead of Australia who are currently sitting in a lowly sixth position.

Since Trevor Bayliss ( an Ozzie, by the way ) took over the coaching of the England side he introduced a new approach to ODI cricket & that was to treat it as a 50 over T20 game, go out hard as they do in the T20's, but no matter the situation, no matter the score or how many wickets may have been lost, maintain that " T20 " attitude all the way & keep going hard all through the innings.
Initially, this strategy cost the team a lot of potential victories, but they persisted with it & in recent years they have reaped the benefits to the point where they are now quite appropriatlety, ranked number one in the world.

So the " perfect storm " is set, we have a crippled Australian team ( 6 of our best players are missing , that is more than half the team ) who are touring England & it is their first international since the shameful debacle in South Africa.

Not a problem, the depth in Australian cricket is so strong that we can send a side of our " second stringers " &  still expect to give England a decent run for their money.

The England team simply continued to play in their normal fashion & with virtually  no " class & experienced players " in the opposition to counteract their aggression, they were able to totally humiliate this " Australian " side while posting their world record score which i am sure will stand for a very a long time.

So Pen, you should indeed be " chuffed " as i join you in applauding the magnificent  effort by the Poms to post such an incredible score.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:29:07 PM by Les303 »

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: June 21, 2018, 12:15:47 AM »

It would be interesting to speculate on the subsidiary keys. "Detective series" would be obvious. However, different gender, different country, different time period.  Any clues?

The search engine can, however,  be remarkably perceptive.  I typed in Pen and Les and it came up with Beauty and the Beast.  >:D

You've got it wrong, Pen, we are normal and it's the rest of the world that is out of step.  I think that's the Trump Syndrome.

I had intended to let the wine labels fade into history but by popular demand two more:
  • Delheim Spatzendreck Late Harvest Dessert Wine from Stellenbosch, South Africa - the English translation of Spatzendreck is the excrement of sparrow;
  • Coopers Creek Cats Pee On A Gooseberry Bush Sauvignon Blanc.

"Here's to those who wish us well, and those that don't can go to hell."

Good Afternoon Jack

Trust this finds you tickety boo!

I have racked my brains for any similarity between Inspector Morse & Miss Fisher & I can't come up with one thing!  Diddly squat :laugh:  I do like the idea of Les & I being beauty & the beast.  Or perhaps you meant it the other way round :laugh:

I'm very glad it's us that's normal.  We don't want Trump Syndrome :(  Probably highly contagious!

Not too sure about wine named after the excrement of sparrow.  I do love the idea of a sauvignon blanc called Cats Pee On A Gooseberry Bush :laugh:
Better than finding a baby under a gooseberry bush!

Best to apply myself to some work ;D
Pen
[/list]

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: June 21, 2018, 12:23:16 AM »
G'day Les

I very much enjoyed your insightful comments & thoughts about the cricket. Most interesting. It's nice for England to be on top for a little while. I suspect it wont last! I'm off to Trent Bridge in about three weeks to watch a ODI between England & India.  Looking forward to it very much.

Keep well & be happy
Penx

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: June 21, 2018, 03:02:08 AM »
Yes, the 481 ODI total went a long way towards erasing the ignominy of that defeat by the Scots!
Don't get me wrong, I love Scotland and the Scots, but as an Englishman who spent ten years studying and working in Scotland,  I hate losing to them at any sport - football, rugby - and now cricket!

As for Miss Fisher, I'd never heard of her till the recent postings. Would I be right in thinking it's a bit like The Mrs Bradley Mysteries but set in 1920s Melbourne instead of 1920s Home Counties?.
The Mrs Bradley Mysteries was a superb series; a perfect blend of detection and comedy, with ex-Avenger and ex Bond-girl (sorry, ex-Bond-wife) Dame Diana Rigg in outstanding form,  but unfortunately the BBC only made 5 episodes.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: June 21, 2018, 04:53:49 AM »
Quite agree with you Mike!  I too hate losing to the Scots in any sports!
I've never seen The Mrs Bradley Mysteries.  Wonder if it's on Netflix?  I'll have to have a search for it.
Pen