Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 820266 times)

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #945 on: May 25, 2018, 02:56:51 AM »
Jack

A couple of UK detective series that weren't on your list were Waking the Dead and Dalziel and Pascoe..

Waking the Dead was about a 'cold case' squad of forensic detectives. Most of the cases were in two parts which were shown on consecutive nights.
It starred Trevor Eve and Sue Johnston among others.

Dalziel and Pascoe starred the late, great Warren Clarke and Colin Buchanan as a pair of detectives who, on the surface, were totally mismatched - Pascoe the clean living University graduate and his boss Dalziel who was a whisky-swilling, Rugby League following slob.

In addition to those, back in the 1980s Anglia TV produced many of P.D.James's Adam Dalgliesh novels as serials, although nowadays some of them are not very easy to come by.

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: May 25, 2018, 04:19:28 AM »
Mike: I'm glad you added P D James, although in the first one I saw - Cover her Face -:I wondered whether the murderer wouldn't be the same as in the book because everything else had been changed so much (usually not for the better, I thought).

I also loved the Dorothy L Sayers adaptations, particularly the 1987 Edward Petherbridge/Harriet Walters ones, but I admit they are not everyone's cup of tea, and Richard Morant was not right as Bunter.

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: May 25, 2018, 04:24:08 AM »
I stand corrected Linda. I think I believed the TV guides at the time of the last in the series. Should never believe what the papers say!!

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: May 25, 2018, 04:33:52 AM »
Quote from: cmh

Loved Morse when it was on and enjoy an occasional repeat. If I remember correctly the only time we hear that Morse was called Endeavour is when Lewis goes to the either the mortuary  or the undertakers to pay his respects.Give the Endeavour series a go as they are well crafted and in the original Morse series he does refer to Inspector Thursday as his early mentor and the way this is relationship is portrayed reflects on the Morse / Lewis pairing.

I totally agree with you about Endeavour.  There is also PC Strange (or was he Sergeant Strange?) who was Chief Superintendent in Morse.  He's the one who always calls everybody matey!  When I saw him interviewed Shaun Evans said he had deliberately not watched Morse so that he wasn't copying John Thaw. Nothing beats Morse but Endeavour is very good entertainment.
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: May 25, 2018, 04:37:20 AM »
Quote from: anona
Quick search: I think Rolf H is out of prison after serving just under 3 years of his ? 5 yrs 9 mths ? sentence. One article said he was trying to make a film to repair his reputation.
Thanks Anona.  I missed your post earlier.  It was a bit frantic at work!  Not sure there's much he can do to salvage his reputation.  Maybe he'll head back to Australia if he hasn't already done so!
Penny

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: May 25, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »
I haven't read all the previous posts so I'm probably saying something redundant here however the Morse books were great, the tv series was one of the few that encapsulated the essence of the books.
Love P D James - her Dagleish series are stupendous. Not a fan of any tv adaptations.
Love Elizabeth George, Inspector Lynley and Havers are fantastic characters. Her books always make me sad though. Cannot abide the tv show.
Dalziel and Pascoe, again brilliant books, brilliantly written. The tv show leaves me cold.
And yes you guessed it, my bookshelves are full of crime novels.
Love Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks series for descriptions of the countryside however the writing isn't a patch on the above authors.
Late blooming azaleas tricked by the warmer weather into flowering

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: May 25, 2018, 08:41:04 PM »
Continuing the history of British crime fiction....
Nobody has mentioned Ruth Rendell and her 'Wexford' novels yet. Not as good as P.D.James, but still readable.

The three Cormoran Strike novels by 'Robert Galbraith' (aka J.K.Rowling) are worth a look.
The BBC has now televised all three of them.

Two other TV crime shows that I forgot to mention to Jack were 'Life on Mars and its sequel Ashes to Ashes.
Crime, detection, mystery and a bit of time-travel thrown in.

Finally, not  about detectives, but a kind of crime show all the same was Hustle about a team of confidence tricksters.
Adrian Lester, Robert Glenister, Robert Vaughn, Marc Warren and the very delectable Jaime Murray.
Good stories and a fair bit of comedy

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 25, 2018, 08:56:06 PM »
Hustle was a classic, I think the cars were the best thing - kinda like Morse!

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 25, 2018, 11:25:23 PM »

I am surprised that you either missed or chose to omit …"The Sweeney"

Neither, Les, as I have never seen an episode of the The Sweeney although I was aware of it’s existence.   Canberra Television was quite primitive at the time it was showing, we didn’t have a recording device and I was still young and foolish enough to be a workaholic. They might have been the reasons I missed it.  It was, I understand, the type of program I would have enjoyed.  I vaguely remember watching a few episodes of Z Cars mainly because it is hard to forget Brian Blessed. 

The series I couldn’t get enough of in that period was The Professionals with Martin Shaw, Lewis Collins and Gordon Jackson.

(As an aside, I was a fan of the young Dennis Waterman in Minder and On the Up, but they are a different genre).

Mkenuk pointed that Waking the Dead, Dalziel and Pascoe, Life on Mars and its sequel Ashes to Ashes weren’t on my List. 

On Mike’s recommendation, I have purchased from iTunes series 1 of Waking the Dead.  It’ll cost me if I really like it because there are another 8 series.

I can remember watching a few episodes of Dalziel and Pascoe but for some reason I never became addicted.  I should have identified with a roughie like Dalziel but I think I became bored with Pascoe’s marital problems.

I watched a number of episodes of Life on Mars and enjoyed them.  I didn't get to see Ashes to Ashes.

Jacki reminded me about Inspector Lynley and Havers.  I watched a fair few episodes and really liked the feisty Havers but could take or leave Lynley.

Two of the series that I can’t believe I forgot to mention last night were:
  • Inspector George Gently. It is a top series.  Gently is the type of hero I admire and DS John Bacchus is the type of copper I love to despise.
  • Rebus. I read every book by Ian Rankin as soon as they are published.  The TV series was a mixed bag.  I have nothing against John Hannah in other roles, but he just isn’t Rebus.  When Ken Stott took over the role of Rebus, I liked it. 

Series I bought to try and couldn’t recommend are Babylon, Broadchurch, Happy Valley.  I am equivocal about Scott and Bailey.
Regards, Jack

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 26, 2018, 12:42:59 AM »
I liked the new Inspector Barnaby's dog, Sykes, so I stuck with it. Used to it now! ...
Bye bye Tweetie Pie....

Didn’t they change the dog, perhaps they should have got a racing pigeon.

Racing Duck

Well, I'm Off, ;D Stop laughing, Pen, I mean I am going.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:16:16 AM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 26, 2018, 02:23:08 AM »
Oh swoon!!!!!!!!! Martin Shaw. Curly haired and fit in The Professionals or grey and distinguished (but naughty!) in Judge John Deed I don't care!.First crush on a TV actor and I would still have him sat at my fictional Dinner Party Table.
Hey maybe when we finish remembering TV programmes we could list our guests at a fictional dinner party?Say 4 or 5 for dinner?

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 26, 2018, 04:47:19 AM »
And Martin Shaw was Dalgliesh in The Murder Room, and in Death in Holy Orders.

Jacki

• Cryptoverbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 26, 2018, 08:39:15 AM »
I loved Broadchurch - Ellie was so believable. The scenery fantastic! And I love Vera - but with the subtitles on! The Killing, although not British, is a series I'd strongly recommend. Stick with it if you find it hard going to start. And yes dinner party guests sounds fun! Perhaps they could be favourite characters.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 26, 2018, 10:11:59 PM »

Didn’t they change the dog, perhaps they should have got a racing pigeon.

Racing Duck

Well, I'm Off, ;D Stop laughing, Pen, I mean I am going.

Superb Jack.  Totally hilarious.  You always manage to make me roar with laughter when I'm at work.  Think my career as a professional receptionist is in danger...? >:D
Don't normally work weekends but covering annual leave.
Think you're right about "Sykes".  My friend Eve said exactly the same think that he'd been replaced.
Couldn't get my evening fix of Chi yesterday evening as my laptop is playing silly buggers.  I'm hoping & praying that No1 Daughter will have worked some magic by the time I get home later this afternoon.  Fingers & toes crossed.
Ciao for now
Pen

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 27, 2018, 12:56:39 AM »
G'day Jack,

G' Day Les

Quote from: Les
Bugger, i meant to post this in the More or Les thread, nevermind.

Only 50% of a problem, I am making the reply in the More or Les thread

As shocked as I was to hear that you are not always in 100% agreement with everything that I say I guess that is not such a bad thing as it would otherwise be a bit boring.

Apart from Beer Brands, comedians, immigration and a few others, I think we agree on most of the important things.  If we agreed on everything we would have nothing to talk about.

I was just a little bit amused to find the word roset ( archaic form of rosette ) in Friday's challenge game even though it did not help me in actually achieving a rosette, I just wonder how many others actually played it & had the same thought? (i'm pretty sure that it has come up in previous games as well )

The 32 others who got it were also probably disappointed it was rare but a lot of others may have not entered it because they knew it was rare,

Jacki, (no jack it's not a typo ) i just thought that Jacki might enjoy this link to yahtzee where even though she will be playing against the computer, she might choose to pretend that she is playing with someone else.
YAHTZEE

I hope she has worked how to use it better than I have.

Just backed my fourth winner in a row so having a pretty good arvo especially considering that i took a sickie today.

Well done.  Don't worry, I won't ring the Courier Mail.  Can you imagine the headline

TOP PUBLIC SERVANT WAGS WORK TO MAKE A KILLING ON THE PONIES
Regards, Jack