Author Topic: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)  (Read 821846 times)

anona

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
Re: More or Les (was Bloody Plurals)
« Reply #930 on: May 24, 2018, 05:31:41 AM »
Quick search: I think Rolf H is out of prison after serving just under 3 years of his ? 5 yrs 9 mths ? sentence. One article said he was trying to make a film to repair his reputation.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 24, 2018, 07:07:29 PM »
I regularly watch old repeats of Inspector Morse, Lewis & Midsomer Murders.

Hobbit, so do 'my husband and I'!!  We love them.  Love Morse so much we took a Morse tour in Oxford!  I think my husband knew about as much as the tour guide!

We were actually in your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago - spent a good day at Bletchley Park - I'd always fancied myself as a codebreaker but now realise that perhaps a great deal more skill was required than being reasonably good at cryptic crosswords!  Fascinating place.  Went on to Cambridge which is very beautiful but it's not Oxford!

mkenuk

• Eulexic
  • Life? Don't talk to me about life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 24, 2018, 07:37:06 PM »
I regularly watch old repeats of Inspector Morse, Lewis & Midsomer Murders.

Don't forget 'Endeavour' - Morse in his earlier days.

I also quite like 'Vera' with Brenda Blethyn (great actress), especially as they are filmed in the North-east of England.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 24, 2018, 07:54:07 PM »
I don't watch Endeavour, mk.  It just ain't John Thaw!  >:D

I also don't watch Frost - not keen on David Jason - but I do like to catch an old Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot.

Hobbit

• Eulexic
  • Bletchley, Buckinghamshire, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 24, 2018, 10:17:55 PM »
Quote from: Linda

Hobbit, so do 'my husband and I'!!  We love them.  Love Morse so much we took a Morse tour in Oxford!  I think my husband knew about as much as the tour guide!

We were actually in your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago - spent a good day at Bletchley Park - I'd always fancied myself as a codebreaker but now realise that perhaps a great deal more skill was required than being reasonably good at cryptic crosswords!  Fascinating place.  Went on to Cambridge which is very beautiful but it's not Oxford!

Oh Linda I'm so pleased to read that!  My friends & family think I'm a bit odd because I love re-watching all those old programmes.  I visit Oxford regularly as I have family in Summertown but I've never done the Morse tour.  I ought to make the effort as I suspect it's brilliant.  I live about 2 minutes from Bletchley Park.  It's very interesting - especially if you get a good tour guide.  I'm addicted to the Telegraph cryptic crossword.  The Times is too tough for me!!
Penny
If life gives you lemons, add a large gin & some tonic...

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 24, 2018, 10:25:40 PM »

I also don't watch Frost - not keen on David Jason - but I do like to catch an old Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot.
Sorry Linda only just spotted your second post.  I'm with you on Miss Marple & Hercule Poirot.  It has to be David Suchet though.  If you read the books he is exactly what Poirot should be.  I saw a trailer for Murder On The Orient Express with Kenneth Brannagh.  It was just all wrong :(

Les303

« Reply #936 on: May 24, 2018, 10:37:19 PM »
Sorry mate, but I meant to ask you how you went with the other 3 questions?

I just did the maths question again & still came up with 5000 ?

I think you might be talking to me, Les?  if so:

On the first question I said "second."
On the second question I said "second to last," because the question tells you that you do overtake the last person.  I studied philosophy and logic in university, and we tend to accept the premises of a question.  We don't care about whether it's possible or not!  :)
On the last question I said "Mary."

G'day ensiform,

You did a hell of a lot better than me, on my first attempt, I got sucked in on every question & gave exactly the predicted wrong answers which is why I thought it would be a bit of fun to share with the forum.
I do agree that the second question was a bit ambiguous & almost a contradiction.

Cheers Les

Ozzyjack

• Eulexic
  • Redlands, SEQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 24, 2018, 10:49:12 PM »
Glad you get all our toot telly in Australia >:D Well you did kindly send us Neighbours, Home & Away
I apologise on behalf of Australia.

& bloody Rolf Harris

Can’t defend the man, but some of material was good.  You might say the same about Tommy Cooper.

I had totally forgotten about Frost. I regularly watch old repeats of Inspector Morse, Lewis & Midsomer Murders

decent cuppa is calling me...

Quote from:  Mkenuk
Don't forget 'Endeavour' - Morse in his earlier days. I also quite like 'Vera' with Brenda Blethyn (great actress), especially as they are filmed in the North-east of England.
Quote from:  Linda
Love Morse so much we took a Morse tour in Oxford! . I don't watch Endeavour, mk.  It just ain't John Thaw!    I also don't watch Frost - not keen on David Jason - but I do like to catch an old Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot.

Well Pen It looks like we have some divided opinions.  But all opinions should be respected so I will nail my flag to the mast.  I have bought most of those mentioned from iTunes so I can watch them at any time I like.  The series I like roughly in order of preference are:

• Foyles War. I have all series.
  • Morse and Lewis.  I have all series and was disappointed when they discontinued Lewis. I think I am right that we only ever heard in one episode that Morse’s first name was Endeavour.
  • Endeavour.  I have the first three series and ABC is currently screening series 4.
  • Vera.  I have series 1-7 but I am currently stuck in series 5. Love Brenda Blethyn but the stories are so tightly constructed that you have to be sober and wide awake or you will miss some of the nuances and have to watch it again.
  • Frost. I have them all.
  • Midsomer Murders.  I have got series 1-16.  Started to lose interest when Tom Barnaby left but persisted because I liked Ben Jones.
  • Shetland. It is available on Netflix and I have enjoyed the episodes I have watched.
  • Prime Suspect. Great but a bit dark towards the end.
  • New Tricks.  Followed them on live TV but they faded a bit when the original cast started to dissipate.
  • Poirot and Miss Marple.  I think I have watched them all and sometimes watch them again on live TV but not interested enough to buy a series.

I have limited myself here to the  UK detective, crime, and adventure genre.

What have I missed?

I am not superman but I must fly.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:05:43 PM by Ozzyjack »
Regards, Jack

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 24, 2018, 10:55:34 PM »
Foyles War.

Absolutely love Foyles War.  Have a HUGE crush on Foyle!

Hobbit -

I'm addicted to the Telegraph cryptic crossword.  The Times is too tough for me!!
Penny

I think we must be twin souls, Penny!  >:D  You're right about Poirot - David Suchet is Poirot personified, likewise Joan Hickson for Miss Marple.

Les303

« Reply #939 on: May 24, 2018, 11:16:33 PM »
G'day 0zzyjack,

I am surprised that you either missed or chose to omit this series ;

My first introduction to John Thaw was in a series in which he co - starred with a very young Dennis Waterman.
Since their partnership in  " The Sweeney " they both went on to have very different but  illustrious careers.

Cheers Les

Les303

« Reply #940 on: May 24, 2018, 11:39:01 PM »
Hi Les

I do indeed have another trip planned - I'm going to Peru for three and a half weeks in July. Rather than being just a birding trip, this one is a bird photography tour. So while we'll still be out looking for birds, when we find them we'll have more time to just enjoy and/or photograph them. The first half of the tour focuses mainly on hummingbirds (my favourites) and there's a good chance of seeing the marvellous spatuletail (that's its name, not my description, apt though it is).

There are loads of destinations I haven't visited! I'd still like to visit more countries in Africa, and Colombia beckons quite strongly, to say nothing of more trips to Brazil... it's a case of doing it while I still can.

Hi Pat,

I am absolutely certain that somehow or other you will manage to do all of those trips. ( while you are still able )
I am just as sure that you will hopefully continue to share many more of your wonderful photos that we all enjoy so much.

Thanks Les

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 25, 2018, 12:08:04 AM »

Absolutely love Foyles War.  Have a HUGE crush on Foyle!

Hobbit -

I'm addicted to the Telegraph cryptic crossword.  The Times is too tough for me!!
Penny

I think we must be twin souls, Penny!  >:D  You're right about Poirot - David Suchet is Poirot personified, likewise Joan Hickson for Miss Marple.
Oh Linda we are most definitely twin souls! :laugh: I love Foyles War too & Mr Foyle is gorgeous.  He's a man I'd definitely like to spend my pocket money with :laugh:
Penny

Hobbit

• Eulexic
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 25, 2018, 12:41:17 AM »
Quote from: Ozzyjack

Well Pen It looks like we have some divided opinions.  But all opinions should be respected so I will nail my flag to the mast.  I have bought most of those mentioned from iTunes so I can watch them at any time I like.  The series I like roughly in order of preference are:

• Foyles War. I have all series.
  • Morse and Lewis.  I have all series and was disappointed when they discontinued Lewis. I think I am right that we only ever heard in one episode that Morse’s first name was Endeavour.
  • Endeavour.  I have the first three series and ABC is currently screening series 4.
  • Vera.  I have series 1-7 but I am currently stuck in series 5. Love Brenda Blethyn but the stories are so tightly constructed that you have to be sober and wide awake or you will miss some of the nuances and have to watch it again.
  • Frost. I have them all.
  • Midsomer Murders.  I have got series 1-16.  Started to lose interest when Tom Barnaby left but persisted because I liked Ben Jones.
  • Shetland. It is available on Netflix and I have enjoyed the episodes I have watched.
  • Prime Suspect. Great but a bit dark towards the end.
  • New Tricks.  Followed them on live TV but they faded a bit when the original cast started to dissipate.
  • Poirot and Miss Marple.  I think I have watched them all and sometimes watch them again on live TV but not interested enough to buy a series.

I have limited myself here to the  UK detective, crime, and adventure genre.

What have I missed?

Afternoon Jack
I don't think you've missed anything that I can think of.  I am pretty much in agreement with you.  I was a bit fed up when Tom Barnaby left Midsomer but I did persevere.  I liked the new Inspector Barnaby's dog, Sykes, so I stuck with it. Used to it now! New Tricks was brilliant until gradually one by one all the original cast disappeared.  I gave up after James Bolam & Alun Armstrong left.
I struggled with Vera.  Not sure why.  Love Brenda Blethyn.  Found the scenery very bleak & just couldn't engage with it.
Not really a crime series but I thoroughly enjoyed Hustle when that was on.  Robert Vaughn who used to be one of the "Men From Uncle" was very good in it.  Probably what's known as "easy viewing".  No effort required!
I have to admit I've never heard of Shetland but as I have Netflix I will be searching for it later when I escape from the coalface...
Bye bye Tweetie Pie....

cmh

• Paronomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 25, 2018, 01:45:03 AM »
We like most cop or detective type programmes but New Tricks is probably the abiding favourite as the interaction between the main characters provides some great moments and many of these are good comic relief from the serious story lines.
Loved Morse when it was on and enjoy an occasional repeat. If I remember correctly the only time we hear that Morse was called Endeavour is when Lewis goes to the either the mortuary  or the undertakers to pay his respects.Give the Endeavour series a go as they are well crafted and in the original Morse series he does refer to Inspector Thursday as his early mentor and the way this is relationship is portrayed reflects on the Morse / Lewis pairing.
I also agree about Joan Hicksons portrayal of Miss Marple. Some of the other series did not have enough faux naivete that I feel is essential in this character.

Linda

• WordStar
  • Cumbria, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 25, 2018, 01:54:00 AM »
Morse's new lady friend asks what his first name is and he gives her a clue - "My whole life's work is around eve" (or words to that effect).  Later, she is in the pub with Morse and Lewis and she says she has tried to work out the clue and all she could come up with is 'Endeavour' ... but that can't be right because no-one is called Endeavour, are they?  Morse looks sheepish and Lewis says "You poor sod!"  >:D

Told you I was a Morse nerd!!